Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

Nashandra advised king vendrick that the giants were a threat, when vendrick went over to slaughter them all he discovered the soul arts (hence the golems that are powered by souls at drangleic castle), but this somehow led to being afflicted by the undead curse? So he basically hollowed and became that thing.

What I don't get is why a hollowed 'vendrick' is walking around while what is clearly the king's corpse is on the ground.

That's not a corpse that's a heap of clothing. Also i have a theory that king Venderick is The Chosen Undead, seeing as how he built drangleic after defeating "the four great ones". although that just might be another "history repeats itself sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Double fists; so strong you punch dogs through walls.

Wolpertinger posted:

If anyone's interested in making a pyromancy build and is agonizing over int/faith investments, worry not! I found a chart where someone neatly documented the exact damage gains for most major pyromancy spells for both int and faith and both together. Turns out having 99 in int AND faith together will barely multiply your damage by 1.5x. AKA - it's not worth it. Don't raise int/faith on a pyromancer unless you want to hit the requirements for specific spells/miracles/hexes, in which case you can enjoy a little bonus damage on top that's in no way required - you'd probably be better off raising Attunement if you really want more firepower, so you can cast more spells, more often.

http://i.imgur.com/B0Uyuwt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SbWfY3e.jpg

I'm less interested in the damage bonus and more in the casting speed increase. Once you hit the point of diminishing returns on attunemnet (though is there for one for casting speed?), if you wanted to increase casting speed to int/faith would be the best choices. My biggest problem with pyromancy is that the casting times can be atrocious, so right now minimizing that is my goal. Investing in int/faith will also give you more of a damage bonus on weapon enchantments if your using those.

...though I really should put some points into vigor since literally every enemy is two shotting me now. But if I dodge REALLY well I don't NEED hitpoints! :shepface:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Caik posted:

As far as i know, there are 4.

You sure? I think there's 3 giant and then the one not-giant.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Which does more damage: Great Soul Arrow or Heavy Soul Arrow? I don't have the int investment for Great Heavy Soul Arrow yet.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

You sure? I think there's 3 giant and then the one not-giant.

I counted the not-giant as one of the memories.

There are more dead giants but you can't enter their memories.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Baron O Beefdip posted:

That's not a corpse that's a heap of clothing. Also i have a theory that king Venderick is The Chosen Undead, seeing as how he built drangleic after defeating "the four great ones". although that just might be another "history repeats itself sort of thing.

Yeah I thought that was pretty obvious. Which means kindling the fire was the cannon ending of DkS1, which only prolonged the inevitable.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Alright gently caress this game, gently caress it. This is unforgiveable. gently caress this poo poo, seriously.

Look at this loving thing. Look at it, and be ashamed. Look at it. LOOK AT IT!

Believe I thought the same thing when I saw it. I was like YES, this is back.

NO THEY nerfed it. What the hell. I loved the silly huge rear end hats. :(

edit: As for lore:
I think it was the age of dark ending honestly. Chancelor Wager talks about how the peace was like the "Dark". Also because certain bosses are hinted they were corrupted by the dark, like mister Orienstein himself.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Baron O Beefdip posted:

I don't think Vendrick is THE chosen undead, but another iteration of the chosen undead, and is as much the chosen undead as you are. With everything being cyclic, this game takes place in both the past and the future of Dark Souls 1.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Alright gently caress this game, gently caress it. This is unforgiveable. gently caress this poo poo, seriously.

Look at this loving thing. Look at it, and be ashamed. Look at it. LOOK AT IT!

Oh what the christ. This is an abomination. :mad:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

Which does more damage: Great Soul Arrow or Heavy Soul Arrow? I don't have the int investment for Great Heavy Soul Arrow yet.

Going on Dark Souls 1 logic but it seems to be the same here (correct me if I'm wrong): "Great" as a prefix means a higher damage version of the same spell. "Heavy" is actually a different spell altogether, it takes much longer to go off but does proportionally larger damage than the basic soul arrow. So:

Soul Arrow -> Great Soul Arrow
Heavy Soul Arrow -> Great Heavy Soul Arrow

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Caik posted:

I counted the not-giant as one of the memories.

There are more dead giants but you can't enter their memories.

This, but there is a guy in Vammar that requires beating Jeigh first.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I encountered this guy while Sunbroing earlier:

I wish I could send him a message because it made my day. I never thought I'd long for the days of GFWL's capabilities over Steam's. :negative:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Something pretty weird happened to me. I was in Pharos' Doors when suddenly the game teleported me to another player's world as a gray spirit. I'm in the Sunshine Cult covenant, so what the hell?

Also I think the player who did it was baiting me somehow because the monsters started attacking me and he was sniping me with magic from the 2nd floor.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Maybe he just took credit for the players actions.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Going on Dark Souls 1 logic but it seems to be the same here (correct me if I'm wrong): "Great" as a prefix means a higher damage version of the same spell. "Heavy" is actually a different spell altogether, it takes much longer to go off but does proportionally larger damage than the basic soul arrow. So:

Soul Arrow -> Great Soul Arrow
Heavy Soul Arrow -> Great Heavy Soul Arrow

That's not very helpful. Was trying to make up my mind if it was worth grinding a minute to get heavy soul arrow for pursuer but it was unnecessary.

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

notZaar posted:

Something pretty weird happened to me. I was in Pharos' Doors when suddenly the game teleported me to another player's world as a gray spirit. I'm in the Sunshine Cult covenant, so what the hell?

Also I think the player who did it was baiting me somehow because the monsters started attacking me and he was sniping me with magic from the 2nd floor.

Welcome to the Rat covenant. You're basically put at a huge disadvantage so that some Rat player can get a lockstone.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

That's not very helpful. Was trying to make up my mind if it was worth grinding a minute to get heavy soul arrow for pursuer but it was unnecessary.

Heavy soul arrow will do more damage than great soul arrow, but it takes longer to cast. Great soul arrow is just soul arrow that does more damage. I don't know how to make it clearer than this.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

tRIDAV posted:

Welcome to the Rat covenant. You're basically put at a huge disadvantage so that some Rat player can get a lockstone.

It also happens to be the most fun covenant so far, IMO. I just wait up above and start playing the Price is Right music as soon as someone gets summoned as I watch them flail helplessly towards the exit. Sometimes I even interfere.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I don't think Vendrick is THE chosen undead, but another iteration of the chosen undead, and is as much the chosen undead as you are. With everything being cyclic, this game takes place in both the past and the future of Dark Souls 1.

I think there's too much creation myth in DS1 for it to be anything but the actual start of the cycle. That's some purestrain lovely fantasy mythology in the opening.

Gwyndolin and Frampt came up with the "chosen undead" to get another body in the Kiln, and as important as that undead ends up being, I don't think the term has any real meaning beyond their plot. Does it even get used in 2?

The cyclical angle is right for sure, though. I don't think Vendrick literally killed Seath and Gwyn and so on, but he certainly had to deal with entities influenced by their souls, just as you do.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

tRIDAV posted:

I wasn't part of the rat covenant, so why did I get summoned instead of the other way around?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

notZaar posted:

I wasn't part of the rat covenant, so why did I get summoned instead of the other way around?

Rat covenant is basically reverse invasions. They force you to invade them.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's the way it works. There are two areas in the game that are the Rat King's turf. If you walk into that area in your world, you can be summoned by someone in that covenant. The goal is to make it to the bonfire at the end while fighting the other player and his buddies and traps. If you win, you get a lockstone. If he wins, he gets a lockstone and a rat tail which is used to upgrade his covenant rank.

*EDIT*
It would be better if I could summon people to my Fun House with proper giant head gear but NOOOOOOOO.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So after finding out about the Crypt Blacksword, I burned an ascetic to refight The Rotten to get his NG+ specific soul drop.

My Guts cosplay is finally complete. :allears: Well, except for the beard and brown hair, but this wasn't my original intention so sod it, close enough. :v:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
MUST PROTECT THE BELLS

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's a nice oversized sword. You know what would go with it real well? A giant oversized hat.

What a shame...

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

MUST PROTECT THE BELLS

Usually I'm annoyed when devs don't account for clipping in their own equipment sets but in this instance it's just hilarious to me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gus Hobbleton posted:

That's a nice oversized sword. You know what would go with it real well? A giant oversized hat.

What a shame...

Looks like Barons has you covered.

Having said that, if Big Hat Logan's swag cap is in this game or the Father Mask :v: I'd don it in a heartbeat, anime be damned.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

So as i go into NG+ i plan on respeccing into Hexes. How do you build for Hexes good?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

I encountered this guy while Sunbroing earlier:

I wish I could send him a message because it made my day. I never thought I'd long for the days of GFWL's capabilities over Steam's. :negative:

Is... is that a recreation of John Locke? Also in the future after you co-op with someone they should show up under "Recently met players" or something to that effect in the Steam Overlay. It won't tell you who was who exactly but I imagine that's nothing a "Hey were you <name>" message couldn't fix...

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
Is sunbroing viable in NG+? I can't decide if I should murder all my NPCs and become a dickwraith or try to help people/be a blue phantom.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Mimetic posted:

Is sunbroing viable in NG+?

Definitely. In NG+ some bosses get upgraded in ways other than just health/damage increases. People will need help.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I'm a little miffed at how there's content that you can literally lock yourself out of if you don't have the prescience to know what knob to twist when (or play the game with a wiki open in another window). I just found out that I can't actually get the pyromancy forbidden sun because I pulled a lever on the first floor of the dungeon and freed Navlaan without knowing how that would hose me. My question is, if I finish this dungeon and then go back to the opening bonfire and use an ascetic, will that reset Navlaan's quest chain or am I going to have to re-play through the game up to this point on NG+? Also, since apparently I've gotten way too many souls for NG in order to actually get matched with any BoB duels, if I toss two ascetics into the fire under the Chancellor, is that going to make the final boss NG++ status on my first go thru? I'd like to try and wrap up all the pryomancies in one go, but I'm seriously bummed about loving up with Navlaan.

As far as the lore theorizing goes I completely believe that Vendrick was supposed to be the protagonist from DaS. The four "major" souls align too perfectly with the four lord vessel souls from the first game for that to be coincidence, with the exception of the Four Kings, who don't really seem to get an analogy in this game.

Also, I would contend that not lighting the kiln is the canon ending, because in that ending of DaS the narrator says something like how this action by the chosen undead will usher in an age of darkness, and like half the content in DaS2 is all about the darkness.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
What are some good recommendations for mid-game Dex weapons? Right now I'm relying on my starting +7 Scimitar and a +7 Twinblade, with a little Magic Weapon thrown on when I need a little more damage. I don't fully understand the infusion mechanic yet, but as far as I understand it, if I magically infuse my weapon, and THEN cast magic weapon, I get a pretty significant increase in power, right?

I'm thinking about getting the Warped Sword, but I havent' found much petrified dragonbone yet, and looking at it's stats it's only marginally better than a +10 scimitar. What are the good dex boss weapons?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gus Hobbleton posted:

That's the way it works. There are two areas in the game that are the Rat King's turf. If you walk into that area in your world, you can be summoned by someone in that covenant. The goal is to make it to the bonfire at the end while fighting the other player and his buddies and traps. If you win, you get a lockstone. If he wins, he gets a lockstone and a rat tail which is used to upgrade his covenant rank.

*EDIT*
It would be better if I could summon people to my Fun House with proper giant head gear but NOOOOOOOO.

Well now I finally understand why I couldn't summon any phantoms to help me out. Would have been pretty useful for that irritating giant dog/rat boss.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

homeless poster posted:

I'm a little miffed at how there's content that you can literally lock yourself out of if you don't have the prescience to know what knob to twist when (or play the game with a wiki open in another window). I just found out that I can't actually get the pyromancy forbidden sun because I pulled a lever on the first floor of the dungeon and freed Navlaan without knowing how that would hose me. My question is, if I finish this dungeon and then go back to the opening bonfire and use an ascetic, will that reset Navlaan's quest chain or am I going to have to re-play through the game up to this point on NG+? Also, since apparently I've gotten way too many souls for NG in order to actually get matched with any BoB duels, if I toss two ascetics into the fire under the Chancellor, is that going to make the final boss NG++ status on my first go thru? I'd like to try and wrap up all the pryomancies in one go, but I'm seriously bummed about loving up with Navlaan.

Ascetics do not refresh questlines. For that one in particular yes you are screwed out of it until NG+. On the one hand yes it does suck, but on the other hand there are seriously 10 developer messages saying not to loving pull the lever.

If you want the covenant-exclusive spells, you need to actually get to NG++ or reach rank 3 in the respective covenants. You can not change his inventory through Ascetics.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

homeless poster posted:

As far as the lore theorizing goes I completely believe that Vendrick was supposed to be the protagonist from DaS. The four "major" souls align too perfectly with the four lord vessel souls from the first game for that to be coincidence, with the exception of the Four Kings, who don't really seem to get an analogy in this game.

Also, I would contend that not lighting the kiln is the canon ending, because in that ending of DaS the narrator says something like how this action by the chosen undead will usher in an age of darkness, and like half the content in DaS2 is all about the darkness.

Remember that the four kings all shared one lord souls shard. Their analogy is the Old Iron King. Both went too far in their quest for more and more power and they hosed their respective kingdoms over.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sydin posted:

Looks like Barons has you covered.

Having said that, if Big Hat Logan's swag cap is in this game or the Father Mask :v: I'd don it in a heartbeat, anime be damned.

Not big enough, and neither of those are.

Baron O Beefdip posted:

So as i go into NG+ i plan on respeccing into Hexes. How do you build for Hexes good?

Dark damage seems to soft cap around 28 int/fth, but a lot of the spells require more than that. My hexer is around 40 of each right now and my dark damage hasn't increased much since then. Other than that, just build like a normal spellcaster, and make sure you infuse your stuff to be dark for more scaling.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

McKilligan posted:

What are some good recommendations for mid-game Dex weapons? Right now I'm relying on my starting +7 Scimitar and a +7 Twinblade, with a little Magic Weapon thrown on when I need a little more damage. I don't fully understand the infusion mechanic yet, but as far as I understand it, if I magically infuse my weapon, and THEN cast magic weapon, I get a pretty significant increase in power, right?

I'm thinking about getting the Warped Sword, but I havent' found much petrified dragonbone yet, and looking at it's stats it's only marginally better than a +10 scimitar. What are the good dex boss weapons?

I don't know about good boss weapons but I hear a lot of praise for Ricard's Rapier as a fantastic dex weapon.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Isn't there a boss whip that has amazing poison scaling if you infuse it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Rat covenant is all about being a rat bastard. You draw people into your world which you've turned into a carousel of death with the lockstones. People who sit on the top floor sniping are idiots. The easiest way to win fights in the rat covenant is to get right up in your opponents face as they fight enemies. If you let them kill all your bros then you're going to die alone, but if you attack them while they try to fight the enemies you'll basically always win.

In the Dwarf Fortress, there are two cubbyholes right next to where grey phantoms spawn in. Nobody ever checks these. You can hide in them, wait for your opponent to start fighting the elephant guard, and then run out and ambush them with your preferred form of dickery. I enjoyed walking right up behind someone and casting flame tempest.

Its hilariously unfair for the invader, but you lose absolutely nothing if you get killed so its not really a big deal. I like to give out gifts to my victims by dropping items right by the entrance. That way even when I kill them in a cheap way they get a consolation prize! :v: