Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I decided that since my first fight against the Iron King was super easy due to it being my last lord soul, this time I'd make it a real challenge; no spells, punching only. Just a slug fest with a giant flaming demon! :black101:

Prepare to face my ultimate fighting tech- oh I got thrown into lava :saddowns:

I'm not sure how the hell I ended up on his hands in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Genocyber posted:

Nashandra didn't create the golems. Wellager explicitly tells you Vendrick created the golems as a gift for his queen after they warred with the giants, and to build his castle. She also didn't kick Vendrick out; he eventually found out she was up to no good and fled to the Undead Crypt. That's why there's a shitton of hollowed soldiers in the way; their last duty before going hollow was to protect the king and prevent anyone from harming him, and now hollowed they carry out their last duty by attacking and killing anyone that tries to reach him.

The Emerald Herald is most likely a creation of Aldia; Vendrick may also be involved. She tells you she was "born of dragons, contrived by men, by ones who would cozen fate herself...Fate would not be bested, and men were cursed once again." Presumably she was created by Aldia and Vendrick as an attempt to stop the curse of the undead. There's some things that suggest she's something of a firekeeper (Navlaan - who may in fact be Aldia - calls her a Firekeeper). She may have been created in an attempt to kindle the first flame, perhaps? But it ultimately failed.

Sounds about right. The part that's most unclear right now is

What the HELL is the Throne of Want and what does it do? Why does Nashandra care about having a straight baller sitting on it?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Shindragon posted:

Well..
The Emerald exists because she's basically a hybird of a human/dragon. She's a failed experiment. They were trying to get rid of the curse by making her. I think Vendrick/Alida knew dragons were the key to getting rid of the curse. She's basically the last firekeeper and wants you to rekindle the flame.

Yeah, someone talked to the Ancient Dragon about the curse. "Yet another stands before us... Then so be it. For the curse of life, is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers." Of course the dragon speaks in goddamn riddles because :darksouls:. I don't know if the Throne of Want can rekindle the flame, though, I think it just makes you crazy. I'm also starting to think that the Throne guardians were set there by Vendrick and used by Nashandra to test the strength of the PC.

Genocyber posted:

Nashandra didn't create the golems. Wellager explicitly tells you Vendrick created the golems as a gift for his queen after they warred with the giants, and to build his castle. She also didn't kick Vendrick out; he eventually found out she was up to no good and fled to the Undead Crypt. That's why there's a shitton of hollowed soldiers in the way; their last duty before going hollow was to protect the king and prevent anyone from harming him, and now hollowed they carry out their last duty by attacking and killing anyone that tries to reach him.

The Emerald Herald is most likely a creation of Aldia; Vendrick may also be involved. She tells you she was "born of dragons, contrived by men, by ones who would cozen fate herself...Fate would not be bested, and men were cursed once again." Presumably she was created by Aldia and Vendrick as an attempt to stop the curse of the undead. There's some things that suggest she's something of a firekeeper (Navlaan - who may in fact be Aldia - calls her a Firekeeper). She may have been created in an attempt to kindle the first flame, perhaps? But it ultimately failed.

Yeah, I remember the butler telling you that Vendrick make the golems for Nashandra, but Vendrick don't look like no dark wizard to me. Something something about Nashandra tricking Vendrick into loving around with souls enough to make the golems.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sounds about right. The part that's most unclear right now is

What the HELL is the Throne of Want and what does it do? Why does Nashandra care about having a straight baller sitting on it?

Well it's likely connected to the Kiln given it's similar appearance. We also know that it either shows whoever sits on it what they want, or it makes what the sitter wants become reality. It's also connect to the giants, given you need the Kinship to access the throne itself. And...that's about all we know.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yeah, someone talked to the Ancient Dragon about the curse. "Yet another stands before us... Then so be it. For the curse of life, is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers." Of course the dragon speaks in goddamn riddles because :darksouls:. I don't know if the Throne of Want can rekindle the flame, though, I think it just makes you crazy. I'm also starting to think that the Throne guardians were set there by Vendrick and used by Nashandra to test the strength of the PC.

Yeah, I remember the butler telling you that Vendrick make the golems for Nashandra, but Vendrick don't look like no dark wizard to me. Something something about Nashandra tricking Vendrick into loving around with souls enough to make the golems.

The Ancient Dragon is really confusing from a lore perspective. He's talked about like this ancient and magical being, yet the fact that you get the Soul of a Giant suggests he's merely a creation of Aldia's. I think the confusion comes from a last minute change. I think originally you were supposed to have gotten the Ancient Dragon Soul from him, which is why its description says its from him, and for w/e reason they swapped it around and just ended up giving him a giant soul.

And Vendrick definitely did make them; you're told a couple times Vendrick made great findings on souls, that he "peered into the essence of the soul." And the golems are very much related to this, being automatons powered by souls.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 2, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

bef posted:

lets dance

SM at 2.6m

throw your sign down

Wait what level is that?

Also I opened the kings seal door in forbidden forest and found this tree behind it but I get a "alas, nothing happened" when I examine it. It was such a :flaccid: after looking forward to opening that door all game. :smith:

Also is Vendrick the final boss of the game and the game is over when you beat him? I died to him once and went back and saw the fog door is back for the boss before him. I hope that doesn't mean I have to fight that rear end in a top hat every time I try to go to Vendrick. The road leading up to that door is a bitch to clear if the bell rings and it does every time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Well it's likely connected to the Kiln given it's similar appearance. We also know that it either shows whoever sits on it what they want, or it makes what the sitter wants become reality. It's also connect to the giants, given you need the Kinship to access the throne itself. And...that's about all we know.

Yep

I was half expecting it to be some kind of renovation of the Kiln of the First Flame and for it to light up and toast me after the doors shut and I sat on the Throne buuuut I guess not? Man who even knows. Maybe the DLC will make things clearer when/if it comes out :shrug:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
This isn't lore chat but after so long playing Dark Souls KB&M using a controller is weird and is getting me killed all the time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

keyframe posted:

Also is Vendrick the final boss of the game and the game is over when you beat him? I died to him once and went back and saw the fog door is back for the boss before him. I hope that doesn't mean I have to fight that rear end in a top hat every time I try to go to Vendrick. The road leading up to that door is a bitch to clear if the bell rings and it does every time.

Vendrick is totally optional.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yep

I was half expecting it to be some kind of renovation of the Kiln of the First Flame and for it to light up and toast me after the doors shut and I sat on the Throne buuuut I guess not? Man who even knows. Maybe the DLC will make things clearer when/if it comes out :shrug:

I think it being ambiguous is supposed to be the point, so I'm not sure if it will ever be explained. It's ambiguous because ultimately it doesn't matter; there are two choices, to continue with an age of dark (which is probably what Nasha wants?), or bring about another age of fire. Or to abdicate like Vendrick, in which case someone else will come along and fulfill the role.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Kill the zombie ringing the bell. It's under the entrance stairs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So, I got two Demon Greathammers from the birds and was curious if you could powerstance them.

Yes. The answer his a resounding (and hilarious) yes.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
More plot stuff:

Is Nashandra the one that is mentioned when the Emerald Herald mentions:

"That tiny thing inside the ruins…
An ancient being that will mock your very existence.
She imparts sound wisdom.
Provided you find her on a good day…"
?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

lordfrikk posted:

What rear end in a top hat designed the loving shrine level. Homing missiles, bleed-causing lurkers in the water, WATER you need to wade through so you can't escape that rear end in a top hat troll and if you by any chance make it almost to the mist door at the end you'll probably going to fall into a random well-shaped hole in the ground :mad:

Funny thing is they actually nerfed it a bit so that the spells aren't nearly as accurate as they used to be (unless that hasn't made it to the PC version yet).

Reason posted:

In brightstone cove I Went into the room where two NPCs are supposed to be fighting, but neither of them were there, did I miss some dialogue somewhere or did I just miss the fight? If I missed the fight where did the one who won go?

You just have to make sure you release the one guy and exhaust everybody's dialogue completely. In my case, I thought I had exhausted Pate's dialogue in Earthen Peak, but when he didn't show up in Brightstone I went back and apparently he had more to say about me opening some chest. So it can be particular.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
I think that the Throne of Want is a tomb created to contain the Souls of Lords forever so that they can no longer influence the world. Nashandra's plan is to intercept you before you can deposit the souls and take the power for herself perhaps? It's also fun to point out that the games have had a cremation of the undead and now an entombment. What's next, a sky burial?

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 2, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

More plot stuff:

?

She's talking about the cat :v:

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

More plot stuff:

?

I'm pretty sure she's talking about Shalquoir

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Walking Dad posted:

I think that the Throne of Want is a tomb created to contain the Souls of Lords forever so that they can no longer influence the world. Nashandra's plan is to intercept you before you can deposit the souls and take the power for herself perhaps? It's also fun to point out that the games have had a cremation of the undead and now an entombment. What's next, a sky burial?

There's nothing that suggests that is the case, though.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
For shits and giggles I decided to grab the boss soul cross-bow weapon that doubles as a shield.

Hoo boy, is it poo poo. I recommend getting it and using it just for funsies. Best troll weapon I've seen yet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I really wish the level up requirements in the Blue Sentinels weren't so absurdly huge. You'd think they'd have nerfed them a little by now given how little action the Sentinels get :negative:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Seems switching to Xinput fixed it, thanks!

As an aside - should I remake my character? I've been playing a lot lately, and I'm sitting on 18 million SM. I never see any signs, and I rarely get summoned. :ohdear:

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

There's nothing that suggests that is the case, though.

Does anything suggest otherwise?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can I get tokens of fidelity from anything other than being ghost buddies? I'm running out of them for duels.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
^^: In NG+ there are phantoms in front of the cathedral of the blue that drop three of them per kill. I don't know if they respawn normally though.

I really wish the level up requirements in the Blue Sentinels weren't so absurdly huge. You'd think they'd have nerfed them a little by now given how little action the Sentinels get :negative:

Yeah they need to chop off a zero for all of the requirements for the sentinels and brotherhood especially since its linked to that stupid arena.

More plot stuff:

Reading through some of the dialogue and item descriptions it looks like Nashandra talked Vendrick into pillaging the giants for their souls then building the throne of want with them. This pissed the giants off hence their retaliation and invasion of Drangleic. It isn't clear what Vendrick's intention was for using the throne but, I think a Lovecraftian situation happened where he looked at the essence of a soul and it drove him nuts. I don't think he was clued into Nashandra being an evil manifestation of the abyss.

E: Is it just my eyes or are enemies acting faster in NG+?

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 2, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Walking Dad posted:

Does anything suggest otherwise?

That's not really how it works. Onus of proof is on the claimant and all that :v:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

There a numerous, obvious reasons why the sentinels are getting little action right now if you're familiar with the mechanics of how they (and sinners) work. You can expect that they will get more action as time to goes on, not less.

I would forget about them now and come back later. Try the bellbros and rat kings, they get lots of action right now but you can rest assured they will drop off a cliff within a few months.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

There a numerous, obvious reasons why the sentinels are getting little action right now if you're familiar with the mechanics of how they (and sinners) work. You can expect that they will get more action as time to goes on, not less.

I would forget about them now and come back later. Try the bellbros and rat kings, they get lots of action right now but you can rest assured they will drop off a cliff within a few months.

I'm not convinced it's nearly enough. 500 goddamn kills. poo poo is nuts.

Azuth0667 posted:

More plot stuff:

Reading through some of the dialogue and item descriptions it looks like Nashandra talked Vendrick into pillaging the giants for their souls then building the throne of want with them. This pissed the giants off hence their retaliation and invasion of Drangleic. It isn't clear what Vendrick's intention was for using the throne but, I think a Lovecraftian situation happened where he looked at the essence of a soul and it drove him nuts. I don't think he was clued into Nashandra being an evil manifestation of the abyss.

There's also the lingering question that many items ask which is

The hell did Vendrick hope to accomplish by running off like that? "Just what was it he wished to protect", as the items so often ask?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The Belfry's seem to be full of Russian hackers right now.

Urgh.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Stay classy, Dark Souls.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
It's possible that Vendrick sealed himself away because he didn't want to be tricked/forced into doing whatever Nashandra wanted him to do, and that by locking himself away like that he was preventing something worse. Of course, then you come in and are an even better candidate for whatever reason and kill him and all his soldiers and take his place. But that still doesn't explain why nashandra encouraged you to go talk to (not even fight) vendrick, get all the great souls and the giant's kinship and then tries to kill you? Maybe she wants whatever the giant's kinship was? Maybe she doesn't want to kill you but ~corrupt~ you or whatever. It's not like you'd die even if she pulverized you, you'd just go more Hollow.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Mimetic posted:

Stay classy, Dark Souls.

Nothing will ever be as good as the outrageous pile of "Amazing chest ahead."s in front of Quelaag's fog gate

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Doctor Zaius posted:

Just got the Channeler's Trident. Today is a good day.

:darksouls:

(I still don't even have a single giant soul)

deimos fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 2, 2014

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I just realized something while looking at the Shrine of Winter:

Primordial serpents with faces removed? Looks like they were curled around a Lordvessel too.

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 2, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Lori posted:

Nothing will ever be as good as the outrageous pile of "Amazing chest ahead."s in front of Quelaag's fog gate

Sorry, but I believe you meant to say "Andre of Astora" instead of Quelaag.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
guys if I die with a ring of life protection, can I still do a no death run?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Humongus posted:

guys if I die with a ring of life protection, can I still do a no death run?

It's still dying, you just don't lose souls and humanity. It's not a 'full heal when you're about to die' item or anything (which if existed would probably not be infinitely repairable for 3000 souls).

It's still an amazingly useful item though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Are there leaderboards for Blue Sentinels and Brotherhood of Blood? I thought both they and Covenant of Champions had leaderboards.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

What's the point of the "Enchanted" upgrade path? It seems like "Magic" but with worse scaling.

Enchanted is also 'bugged' and gives intelligence scaling to some weapons that don't normally have scaling.

I'm not entirely sure how effective this is, but might be something to look into. It might be intentional, actually.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

NullDragon posted:

Enchanted is also 'bugged' and gives intelligence scaling to some weapons that don't normally have scaling.

I'm not entirely sure how effective this is, but might be something to look into. It might be intentional, actually.

The point of Enchanted is to give physical scaling weapons to int builds

it's not very good

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NullDragon posted:

No, that's how all infusions behave. See also Mundane infusions on crossbows/Santier's Spear, or any elemental infusion whatsoever adding lightning/fire/magic/dark scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Ruggington posted:

The point of Enchanted is to give physical scaling weapons to int builds

it's not very good

Yeah, but there's the side effect of being the only way to give scaling with certain weapons. Bluemoon Greatsword, Avelyn, and so on.

Trying to make those weapons magic or lightning still results in no scaling.

EDIT: Well, that and Mundane, yeah.