Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

FrickenMoron posted:

There isnt a boss there actually. Its a hosts misconception that they can bring summons to the pursuer in iron keep for example.

It's in places I know there's a boss you can summon for at. If I move my soapstone closer to the fog I usually get to go in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Okay these two items in earthen peak are annoying the piss out of me. there's one across a gap guarded by a sorceress and then there's that one across a broken bridge guarded by two archers. How in the hell do you get these? Any attempts to jump to them either results in my character failing the jump and dying, or rolling off the platforms and dying.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Volt Catfish posted:

I get it a lot when trying to sunbro the Ruin Sentinals, though. No other boss takes up residence there, right?

No. Its dumb people who killed the sentinels but not the sinner.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I've killed the gargs, sentinels and sinner yet I can still see peoples summon signs in sentinels rise for some reason. I thought you're only meant to be able to summon if you haven't killed the area boss?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

THE PWNER posted:

I've killed the gargs, sentinels and sinner yet I can still see peoples summon signs in sentinels rise for some reason. I thought you're only meant to be able to summon if you haven't killed the area boss?

That's normal, if they are small signs
You can always summon shades.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nuebot posted:

Okay these two items in earthen peak are annoying the piss out of me. there's one across a gap guarded by a sorceress and then there's that one across a broken bridge guarded by two archers. How in the hell do you get these? Any attempts to jump to them either results in my character failing the jump and dying, or rolling off the platforms and dying.

They are actually both accessed from the same ledge. For the one behind the sorcerer, you just have to make the jump. Try to aim a bit to the left, as there is a small ledge along the wall.
For the other, on the same ledge you jump to the sorcerer ledge from, there's a small fence. Break it and fall down. Now, you can make the jump down to the lower platform with the item on from here. It's a poison Greatsword if I remember correctly

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

They are actually both accessed from the same ledge. For the one behind the sorcerer, you just have to make the jump. Try to aim a bit to the left, as there is a small ledge along the wall.
For the other, on the same ledge you jump to the sorcerer ledge from, there's a small fence. Break it and fall down. Now, you can make the jump down to the lower platform with the item on from here. It's a poison Greatsword if I remember correctly

Oh, thanks. I gave up on them a few minutes ago and murdered the boss. Then lost 55k souls trying to jump to an item in iron keep. I hate this game's platforming am I just bad at it or is it awful?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nuebot posted:

Oh, thanks. I gave up on them a few minutes ago and murdered the boss. Then lost 55k souls trying to jump to an item in iron keep. I hate this game's platforming am I just bad at it or is it awful?

It's not just you, it is truly awful at times.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Smelter demon is truly the worst if you're running some lovely hybrid build. Had him on the ropes then suddenly he turned around off Lucatiel and shredded me in one combo before I even knew what hit me.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
In all fairness you probably shouldnt be making risky jumps for glowing stuff with 55k souls in the bank unless youre wearing the life protection ring. Thats just asking for trouble.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
OK I don't know where to go next.

I cleared the forest, Heides, No Mans Wharf, Last Bastille, Last Sinner's. Done Last Giant, Persurer, 3 Sentinels, Old DragonSlayer and Last Sinner (and probably the ones I've forgotten), I've been wandering around all the areas for about 2 hours now and can't find anywhere to go next. I bought the cat ring because I'm SL75 and had heaps of souls from said wandering around and went down into the rat cave for a bit but got sick of Ratbro's summoning me.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
Am I missing something about imbuing? I switched from a pure quality dual caestus build to 30 STR/40 FTH with +10 lightning caestuses and even with sunlight blade the damage output feels a fair bit lower than before.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rudager posted:

I cleared the forest, Heides, No Mans Wharf, Last Bastille, Last Sinner's. Done Last Giant, Persurer, 3 Sentinels, Old DragonSlayer and Last Sinner (and probably the ones I've forgotten), I've been wandering around all the areas for about 2 hours now and can't find anywhere to go next. I bought the cat ring because I'm SL75 and had heaps of souls from said wandering around and went down into the rat cave for a bit but got sick of Ratbro's summoning me.

Three ways to go from here: Continue through the rat area, unpetrify the woman at the end of the path near the cave to Things Betwixt, or talk to Licia in the Majula Rotunda (the path to Heide's)

Tensei posted:

Am I missing something about imbuing? I switched from a pure quality dual caestus build to 30 STR/40 FTH with +10 lightning caestuses and even with sunlight blade the damage output feels a fair bit lower than before.

Caestus have poo poo for base damage and don't benefit at all from imbument. Stick with plain ones.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Rudager posted:

Talk to the miracles lady either in Majula or Heide's Tower of Flame to get her to move to Majula and then pay her to move the contraption in that room a bit before the Tower of Flame.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
If you can't tell the difference between me and the Persuer: DON'T USE THE DAMNED BALLISTAS!
The rudest host so far has been the guy who killed me with the ballista after the Persuer was dead and I was in the middle of my waving-goodby animation.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Brasseye posted:

In all fairness you probably shouldnt be making risky jumps for glowing stuff with 55k souls in the bank unless youre wearing the life protection ring. Thats just asking for trouble.

Life Protection ring won't stop you from losing souls, just from going hollow when you die.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So after using my soul items to buy stuff from the merchant in iron keep then dying to some bullshit fire that killed me the second I opened a door I've come to a conclusion. At least half of darksouls 2's areas just aren't any loving fun to play. Iron Keep, Earthen Peak, Black Gulch, The Gutter. I've had no fun with these areas at all and Hunter's Copse was dull too. Which is a shame because areas like Lost Bastille I found to be excellent because there wasn't much cheap bullshit aside from the occasional mummy dude stunlocking. But nope the entire second half of my playthrough is a poison gimmick-level clusterfuck which is a hilarious irony because it basically feels like the first game in that regards only shittier because at least the lame areas in the first game had the mercy to be short.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Tensei posted:

Cestuses have amazing scaling for Str/Dex, but low base damage. Elemental imbues look at base damage more than anything.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Man, after all that plot discussion just now I think I'll pretend that DS2 is actually just thematically related like a Zelda sequel, because that's even more unnecessarily obtuse than the first game was and makes its plot basically pointless to boot.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Raygereio posted:

If you can't tell the difference between me and the Persuer: DON'T USE THE DAMNED BALLISTAS!
The rudest host so far has been the guy who killed me with the ballista after the Persuer was dead and I was in the middle of my waving-goodby animation.

Thats the best part of the fight though :frogout:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is anybody else having trouble connecting to the multiplayer service(Europe)?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Put in about 200 hours so far. Need to update this thread. What's the deal with GeDOSato and SweetFX/ENB. Quite the worry about VAC and with good reason, they've banned people for graphical mods before and when contacting Steam Support they reply back and say they were hacking.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Life Protection ring won't stop you from losing souls, just from going hollow when you die.

Yes it does please don't open your mouth when you don't know what you're talking about

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

Having that problem in America.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Yep. I guess there's some server maintenance or hiccup.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Has the server gone down or something? I managed to finally succeed at helping someone kill the Smelter Demon (after many tries -- all of them inevitably not backing off after he lands from the jump attack) and the game froze on loading screens. Forcing a quit, it wouldn't connect on reloading. Getting onto my character in offline mode, moving back to Majula, then quitting/opening the game normally still resulted in an inability to connect. e: f;b :v: good to know. ^ ^ ^

Nuebot posted:

So after using my soul items to buy stuff from the merchant in iron keep then dying to some bullshit fire that killed me the second I opened a door I've come to a conclusion. At least half of darksouls 2's areas just aren't any loving fun to play. Iron Keep, Earthen Peak, Black Gulch, The Gutter. I've had no fun with these areas at all and Hunter's Copse was dull too. Which is a shame because areas like Lost Bastille I found to be excellent because there wasn't much cheap bullshit aside from the occasional mummy dude stunlocking. But nope the entire second half of my playthrough is a poison gimmick-level clusterfuck which is a hilarious irony because it basically feels like the first game in that regards only shittier because at least the lame areas in the first game had the mercy to be short.

And the flames jetting out of the vents didn't tip you off?

The poison gimmick stuff in Black Gulch and the Gutter, I'll give to you. The rest, including what's in Iron Peak, is telegraphed and incredibly easy to avoid as long as you're not rushing through.

Hell, my first time going through the area before the Smelter Demon was incredibly fun for me -- and still is, really, though it gets tedious after dying so many times to that rear end in a top hat.

e.2 v v v

It is not. :(

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
Is it possible to get the old dragonslayer armor set?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

torsoboy posted:

Is it possible to get the old dragonslayer armor set?

Unfortunately no, maybe in the DLC.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Speaking of DLC, didn't the devs say they weren't planning any?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

They've said it may or may not happen.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Mazed posted:

They've said it may or may not happen.

Either way, they have the infrastructure to create events as they did with Demon's Souls so I'm excited about that at the very least. Also last update we got about DLC was a "no comment" a day or so before the PC launch so I'm remaining hopeful.

From the concept art found in the Japanese Collector's Edition, they sure do have a lot of material they didn't touch.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mazed posted:

Has the server gone down or something? I managed to finally succeed at helping someone kill the Smelter Demon (after many tries -- all of them inevitably not backing off after he lands from the jump attack) and the game froze on loading screens. Forcing a quit, it wouldn't connect on reloading. Getting onto my character in offline mode, moving back to Majula, then quitting/opening the game normally still resulted in an inability to connect. e: f;b :v: good to know. ^ ^ ^

And the flames jetting out of the vents didn't tip you off?

The poison gimmick stuff in Black Gulch and the Gutter, I'll give to you. The rest, including what's in Iron Peak, is telegraphed and incredibly easy to avoid as long as you're not rushing through.

Hell, my first time going through the area before the Smelter Demon was incredibly fun for me -- and still is, really, though it gets tedious after dying so many times to that rear end in a top hat.

e.2 v v v

It is not. :(

There weren't any flames jetting out of vents that I could see. I murdered the bow knight, killed the knight on the path and hopped down the stairs and there was a door. No fires jetting around so I opened it and then fire hit me and I died.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So HUGE endgame spoilers, but I'm totally lost here: I beat Ancient Dragon, did all four memories, killed Vendrick, and grabbed his soul/gear. Where do I go now? The path basically ended at Ancient Dragon. I figured maybe the Emerald Herald would give me another plot dump, but nope. Did I miss something?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sydin posted:

So HUGE endgame spoilers, but I'm totally lost here: I beat Ancient Dragon, did all four memories, killed Vendrick, and grabbed his soul/gear. Where do I go now? The path basically ended at Ancient Dragon. I figured maybe the Emerald Herald would give me another plot dump, but nope. Did I miss something?

There's a King's Door by the Drangleic Castle bonfire.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

Return to the area after killing the two bosses because you'll fight another in the same exact area, took me a while on my first play through not knowing that

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
So what is the "lore" behind Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak? Is the entire thing there just to mine/pump the green goo towards Mytha's beauty bath?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Nuebot posted:

There weren't any flames jetting out of vents that I could see. I murdered the bow knight, killed the knight on the path and hopped down the stairs and there was a door. No fires jetting around so I opened it and then fire hit me and I died.

Doesn't happen constantly, but often enough, and there's a distinctive sound effect when you get close to the furnace. The large valve on the side facing the first archer turns it off and it becomes safe to go in.

Overall, the best thing to take away from something like that is probably to be wary of conspicuous suspended structures over a massive lake of fire. This strategy will keep ya covered through a good part of Iron Keep. :v:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

So what is the "lore" behind Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak? Is the entire thing there just to mine/pump the green goo towards Mytha's beauty bath?

I'm developing an alternative theory that Dark Souls 2 is actually one giant fart joke.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Mazed posted:

Doesn't happen constantly, but often enough, and there's a distinctive sound effect when you get close to the furnace. The large valve on the side facing the first archer turns it off and it becomes safe to go in.

Overall, the best thing to take away from something like that is probably to be wary of conspicuous suspended structures over a massive lake of fire. This strategy will keep ya covered through a good part of Iron Keep. :v:
I went and stood infront of that door as a sunbro and gestured the host not to open it, he desummoned me. When I put my sign back up at the first bonfire I saw him walk past as a ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Asehujiko posted:

The Old Iron King was mining Iron in Harvest Valley and built Iron Keep from it, but it was so heavy it sank into the Earth. The area flooded with lava as a result, and the Old Iron King died and/or transformed into a demon.
According to her soul description, The Baneful Queen Myrtha was in love with the Old Iron King and transformed herself into a demon with poison while seeking eternal youth and beauty. The Covetous Demon was a man once in love with Myrtha but was turned into a demon some how. So there was some kind of love triangle thing going on between IK/Myrtha/Covetous that got way out of hand.

...And that's about it, really. At least, all I managed to pick up.

King of Solomon posted:

Thanks. Did the game tell me this at some point and I just missed it? Or was I supposed to be psychic and know to go back to the there?