Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

But... why... lol. This isn't halo 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Is there any news on this from a legitimate tech website? Wccftech is the internet equivalent of little old ladies gossiping at church over stuff they made up/heard 3rd hand.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The Lord Bude posted:

Is there any news on this from a legitimate tech website? Wccftech is the internet equivalent of little old ladies gossiping at church over stuff they made up/heard 3rd hand.

I looked around, and most of them were sourcing wccftech, so eh.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:Holy poo poo they weren't full of it, Asus Z97 reviews incoming:siren:

HardOCP reviews the Asus Z97 Deluxe - I'm digging the low DPC latency and that Asus integrated the ROG audio solution into their Deluxe board. If the DPC latency is this low on a board with this much integrated hardware, I'm hoping its amazing on the ROG Hero and Ranger boards.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 28, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Alereon posted:

HardOCP reviews the Asus Z97 Deluxe - I'm digging the low DPC latency and that Asus integrated the ROG audio solution into their Deluxe board. If the DPC latency is this low on a board with this much integrated hardware, I'm hoping its amazing on the ROG Hero and Raider boards.

Well I guess sometimes little old gossiping church ladies really do know what's really going on in the community.

Silly black and gold colour scheme is gone finally, and Asus seems to have finally figured out that we don't need loving PCI ports any more.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 28, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Asus seems to have finally figured out that we don't need loving PCI ports any more.

says you :mad:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haha why the hell would Asus do that? :psyduck: Is really a little publicity and a few more sales worth pissing Intel off?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Interesting that it overclocks so poorly, at least on non-Refresh chips. I wonder if that's just this board in particular, or if that's going to a Z97 problem in general.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Looks like MSI still hasn't figured out how to position a cpu socket on a mITX board so that you can still fit decent tower coolers :ughh:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Alereon posted:

HardOCP reviews the Asus Z97 Deluxe - I'm digging the low DPC latency and that Asus integrated the ROG audio solution into their Deluxe board. If the DPC latency is this low on a board with this much integrated hardware, I'm hoping its amazing on the ROG Hero and Raider boards.

The first paragraph of this review is astounding. :staredog:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Hace posted:

Interesting that it overclocks so poorly, at least on non-Refresh chips. I wonder if that's just this board in particular, or if that's going to a Z97 problem in general.
My hope is that it is due to an early or poorly-tuned BIOS, the low temperatures achieved when overclocking may point to improvements in the motherboard in addition to the expected improvements on Devil's Canyon CPUs.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Haha why the hell would Asus do that? :psyduck: Is really a little publicity and a few more sales worth pissing Intel off?

I know, I can't get over this. It's motherboards... is it even worth the tiniest bit off ill-will?

Regardless cool for us.

Alereon posted:

HardOCP reviews the Asus Z97 Deluxe - I'm digging the low DPC latency and that Asus integrated the ROG audio solution into their Deluxe board. If the DPC latency is this low on a board with this much integrated hardware, I'm hoping its amazing on the ROG Hero and Ranger boards.

DPC latency is a big one to me nice

quote:

In manual mode things were quite different. On a Z87 motherboard using this CPU I need about 1.285v max to get a 4.7GHz overclock out of the system.

ugh so lucky, but

quote:

And again it was fairly boring as all I did was play with one setting and that’s the CPU voltage.

alright, so he was requiring insanely higher vcore for a chip with otherwise proven to work at 1.285, yet all he was doing was messing with vcore? That isn't proof that the board sucks for OC, it just likely means he needs to raise vrin, stabilize with cache voltage, or make sure the default uncore ratios aren't going nuts or trying to match. Also the fact that it was strangely under temperature, while might just be motherboard improvements as implied... but if the other voltages were just too low those directly reduce temperature as well. IMO not proof that the board can't OC. To be fair I'm skimming very quickly because of work, but just my initial impressions

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 28, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

What the hell is the slot in the upper left of the Maximus VII Gene, above the ports?

edit: it says "MPCIE" on the board :doh:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What's the use of a mobile GPU slot? Does it provide video processing under light loads?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

What's the use of a mobile GPU slot? Does it provide video processing under light loads?

:confused:

it's not a mobile GPU slot, it's mini PCI express. you can install all sorts of stuff in there

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Oh, I looked up that set of initials and the first thing that popped up was mobile GPUs. :v:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bare die is so mainstream now :what:

http://www.techpowerup.com/199956/next-gen-msi-oc-series-motherboard-to-feature-delid-die-guard.html

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any news in the low-power world of the Atom? AMD just released some info on chips designed to compete with the current set of Atoms and seem to be doing so favorably. With the world of high end being pretty much stagnant, I'm finding myself more and more interested in how powerful and powersipping my Windows tablets can be.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just a wierd thought I had but the QX6700 extreme edition was released right around the time of Vistas ship date so you could say quite a few systems shipped and/or built ran XP. That's CPU would be fine for a lot of things today and yet it shipped during the prime of XP.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
OEM systems shipped that late in XP's lifespan came with Vista upgrade coupons, and anyone who spent $1000 on a CPU wanted an upgrade to 64-bit Windows as soon as it was available, so I don't think there's too many quad-cores running XP out there.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess its just a new thing to have an almost 8 year old CPU be still OK for stuff today. I mean you could probably play BF4 at 1080p with an appropriately up to date GPU on that QX6700 or even a Q6600. Thats quite the upgrade path.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Gaming has been bound by the Xbox 360/PS3 for 8 years

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 2, 2014

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

go3 posted:

Gaming has been bound by the Xbox 360/PS2 for 8 years

The PS2 is 14 years old

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

go3 posted:

Gaming has been bound by the Xbox 360/PS3 for 8 years

I'm not convinced this is entirely a bad thing considering the longevity of any one PC build these days.

And I'm sure there have been some machines with quad cores sold with XP, but I'd bet they skew towards workstations, especially since most non home users would have been specifically installing XP for most of Vista's lifetime, if not into Windows 7.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

carry on then posted:

I'm not convinced this is entirely a bad thing considering the longevity of any one PC build these days.

The reason for that, regarding gaming at least, is that it's been tied to consoles for ever.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I remember my old Q6700 computer. Bought it when I knew nothing about computers way back when, paid like 2300. The thing also had a 9800GTX+ and an explosive Huntkey V500 power supply that likely ended up being the death of my motherboard. Had a 1tb HDD which BLEW my mind at the time.

Ran XP on the bastard until 2011.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey jawn can you 'splain us what linus was on about the other day

https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/YDKRFDwHwr6

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

StabbinHobo posted:

hey jawn can you 'splain us what linus was on about the other day

https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/YDKRFDwHwr6

page fault handling apparently takes more cycles in haswell than on core duo

not really a huge thing since paging is a sign you have bigger problems

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Isn't the number of cycles variable given the memory/storage used. Its not like the CPU is actually addressing (pun intended!) the page fault during those ~1000 cycles. Its simply waiting on spinning disks or SSDs or whatever to load the bits that aren't in memory. Or maybe what Linus is saying is that the page -is- in memory and the CPU just takes ~1000 cycles to realize it?

edit: Refreshing my memory a bit(god drat puns) but shouldn't page fault penalties be measured in absolute time and not CPU cycles? And shouldn't it be measured against the ideal latency of the non volatile storage system? You can't have a page fault penalty that's smaller than the latency of your storage system.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 2, 2014

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Malcolm XML posted:

page fault handling apparently takes more cycles in haswell than on core duo

not really a huge thing since paging is a sign you have bigger problems
It's kind of a big deal because you get page faults constantly as you use a machine. When a program loads, you get compulsory faults as various pages of a program are loaded into the correct segments and/or pages. A page fault is a major part of how the Linux kernel gets performance via the mmap call as well. It doesn't explicitly load anything, it marks pages to fault and the kernel handles the load into the page and can use neat tricks like zerocopy and predictive fault handling to queue up more fetches on I/O.

This will make a huge drop in Linux performance aggregately for high performance compute overall.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Shaocaholica posted:

Isn't the number of cycles variable given the memory/storage used. Its not like the CPU is actually addressing (pun intended!) the page fault during those ~1000 cycles. Its simply waiting on spinning disks or SSDs or whatever to load the bits that aren't in memory. Or maybe what Linus is saying is that the page -is- in memory and the CPU just takes ~1000 cycles to realize it?

edit: Refreshing my memory a bit(god drat puns) but shouldn't page fault penalties be measured in absolute time and not CPU cycles? And shouldn't it be measured against the ideal latency of the non volatile storage system? You can't have a page fault penalty that's smaller than the latency of your storage system.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what he's writing, Linus is just measuring the time the CPU takes to trap the page fault, enter the interrupt handler, and return from it to user code. Any processing by the OS kernel to handle the page fault would be on top of that cost.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mr.Radar posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what he's writing, Linus is just measuring the time the CPU takes to trap the page fault, enter the interrupt handler, and return from it to user code. Any processing by the OS kernel to handle the page fault would be on top of that cost.

In that case it would be less efficient than the Core arch he tested against. Is there anyway to see(for a non Intel engineer) what exactly the CPU is doing those cycles?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

necrobobsledder posted:

It's kind of a big deal because you get page faults constantly as you use a machine. When a program loads, you get compulsory faults as various pages of a program are loaded into the correct segments and/or pages. A page fault is a major part of how the Linux kernel gets performance via the mmap call as well. It doesn't explicitly load anything, it marks pages to fault and the kernel handles the load into the page and can use neat tricks like zerocopy and predictive fault handling to queue up more fetches on I/O.

This will make a huge drop in Linux performance aggregately for high performance compute overall.

"Huge"? No, I don't think so. Growth from 940 to 1045 cycles isn't that awful given that clock speeds have improved since Core 2, by enough that wall clock time should usually be lower anyways.

Torvalds mentions that in the real world load he was profiling, one which hammers on the page fault handler a lot without actually swapping, CPU page fault overhead is 5% of all CPU time. If you had the power to do ridiculously impossible things, you could reduce the CPU's page fault overhead to 0 and his kernel compiles would only improve 5%. If you improved that overhead by the ratio of 1045 to 940, the improvement in wall clock time would be sub-1%.

Which is why he isn't ranting and raving, the way he's wont to do when he discovers something outrageous. This is "hey Intel, you used to be able to do this in N cycles, now you're doing it in 1.11*N, so even though you're faster than you were before it looks like you could be even faster than that, what gives?"

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

necrobobsledder posted:

Yeah but again only like 5% of his time was taken up by page faulting and a lot of the commenters basically told him to use a better make system. I think one guy said that chromium's gyp system stats the same number of files, more or less, and takes 1sec compared to the 30 sec that linux's make does.

When page fault times matter its because your app is page fault bound and if its that you really need to step back and check why your app is faulting so much.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
A researcher in HPC did some benchmarks with different RAM timings and showed a surprisingly large difference given how much data kept getting evicted from CPU cache and because people tend to emphasize slower, safer RDIMMs typically. I say it's important for HPC in the old joke / truism that supercomputing turns CPU bound problems into I/O bound problems. A performance regression like this is not exactly historically precedented beyond ones that are obviated from clock speed and architectural reasons like cycles for instructions across arch generations. Even then, I can't remember a case where the wall clock time could have even theoretically been slower without some sort of compensatory improvement.

But the page fault handling latency is one thing but it's certainly within the context of other factors like page fault rate in general (the TLB should be better too after all).

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: Editing out this post because it's too uncomfortably close to revealing info I probably shouldn't; but the time page faults take in HPC is hugely relevant these days.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 5, 2014

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Alereon posted:

Hell yes, low DPC latencies. I haven't seen stuff this good for like a good 2 years.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Most Intel 9-series boards seem to be out, here's Asus's Z97 lineup. I don't see the ROG Maximus VII Ranger, but I suspect its on its way. It looks like all but the cheapest boards also include Intel Ethernet, a significant step up from the crappy Realtek NICs.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So is there any word on whether or not the new CPUs will work on the previous generation of motherboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Alereon posted:

Most Intel 9-series boards seem to be out, here's Asus's Z97 lineup. I don't see the ROG Maximus VII Ranger, but I suspect its on its way. It looks like all but the cheapest boards also include Intel Ethernet, a significant step up from the crappy Realtek NICs.

MSI is now using Killer garbage in just about everything. It's a shame, their motherboards look so nice.