Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

What's the trick to collecting the items and chests on the hot ground in the Iron Keep? I've tried suiciding but I don't have enough time. I also tried using an item to increase my fire resistance but that didn't seem to make a difference. Is there a ring similar to the one from Lost Izalith?

Like others said you really need to ramp up your resistances with rings and picking armor with the best fire resistance but the biggest boost comes from dousing yourself in water, I went from dying near instantly to being completely immune with the boost it gives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
will multiple flame quartz rings stack?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Asehujiko posted:

will multiple flame quartz rings stack?

It won't even let you wear multiples of the same ring.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

AttackBacon posted:

Beat the game last weekend, on a no-spoiler, no-wiki playthrough. I enjoyed it quite a bit, :words:
This is pretty much exactly what i thought after finishing it today better put that i likely could. After half a dozen DS1 playthroughs i think i've got my fill of 1 and really appreciate all the quality-of-life tweaks the sequel adds. And having actual non-gfwl, well populated online play is just fantastic.

I'm still terrible at both DS1 and DS2. :)

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Attestant posted:

I wouldn't call Smelter Demon an easy boss, but it's a very fair boss for fighting 1v1. (Aside from the random wall glitch.) Given enough practice you can learn his movepool and tells pretty well, and I now consider him kind of easier than Old Iron King. For me it was a matter of practice by tens and tens of attempts.

I've probably fought Smelter about 30 times now, being a summon, by myself and with 1-2 summons, and he hasn't gone down once. The biggest problem with him is like every enemy in the game, he's able to turn at ridiculous speed while attacking. As a complete Souls noob, that pisses me off more than anything and is the main thing that makes the game so hard.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So, getting a bit annoyed with the constant cookie cutter PVP stuff, I'm trying another shield-less character - a pyromancer using the Imported set you start with, and a club (or equally primitive looking weapon) but I'm curious about fire scaling. Is the damage on pyromancies acceptable without buffing INT, or what? I really have no idea how to read these numbers. :downs:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

poptart_fairy posted:

So, getting a bit annoyed with the constant cookie cutter PVP stuff, I'm trying another shield-less character - a pyromancer using the Imported set you start with, and a club (or equally primitive looking weapon) but I'm curious about fire scaling. Is the damage on pyromancies acceptable without buffing INT, or what? I really have no idea how to read these numbers. :downs:

They scale more with the level of your pyro flame than anything and will still hurt without stats.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Metanaut posted:

I've probably fought Smelter about 30 times now, being a summon, by myself and with 1-2 summons, and he hasn't gone down once. The biggest problem with him is like every enemy in the game, he's able to turn at ridiculous speed while attacking. As a complete Souls noob, that pisses me off more than anything and is the main thing that makes the game so hard.

There weren't really that many attacks like this in DS1, but they're everywhere in DS2. I kind of like it, even though it makes me die a lot. DS1 had more bosses swinging their 3 hit combo into the air instead of turning around to adjust to your movement mid-combo.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Something that I still haven't experienced is a player dark phantom invasion. After playing through the game on one character and getting another to the halfway mark I somehow managed to avoid being invaded even once. Are there really that few invaders out there or did I just get super (un?)lucky?

Bellkeepers and ratlings dont count. :v:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

BombiTheZombie posted:

Something that I still haven't experienced is a player dark phantom invasion. After playing through the game on one character and getting another to the halfway mark I somehow managed to avoid being invaded even once. Are there really that few invaders out there or did I just get super (un?)lucky?

Bellkeepers and ratlings dont count. :v:

Yeah me either. I've heard they become really common in NG+ but are practically non-existant beforehand.

I dunno how I feel about it, the red eye orb was a big problem in DS1 due to SL matchmaking, but with soul memory match making a reusable invasion item would be fine.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
My goodness (end of game) that was a real letdown of an ending. The game felt like it was really building to something with killing the four Old Ones and then it just kinda kept going for a while having you do...stuff until welp I guess this is the end boss.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

It'll probably get better as more people reach their endgame and PvP becomes the only thing to do, but Invasions at low SM are never going to be particularly common with how SM works.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

poptart_fairy posted:

Some guy a few pages back tested it and found that high INT/FTH doesn't really raise your damage that much.

also holy poo poo I've put an absoultely shameful amount of time into this game since it came out and now that the server is down I don't know what to do with myself.

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 2, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

dis astranagant posted:

Attunement gives a little bit every now and then.
Quite a lot, in fact. It's actually the best stat for a caster, because at really high levels it can give you up to triple the amounts of casts you'd normally have, for certain spells. 94 is the breakpoint at which Soul Spear turns from 2 into 5 and Crystal Soul Spear turns from 2 into 4 cast, for example, which is huge and a lot more extra damage dealing capability than an equivalent amount of Intellect or Faith would give you. Coupled with the extra attunement slots it grants it makes your caster so much more powerful.

poptart_fairy posted:

On a maxed out pyromancy flame, 99 Int and Faith give you barely 300 extra damage on a cast of Chaos Fireball, so 1300 instead of 1000. Basically it's not necessary at all and you can spend all those extra souls on Vit and End instead to become a flamethrowing doomtank.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 2, 2014

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

THE PWNER posted:

Yeah me either. I've heard they become really common in NG+ but are practically non-existant beforehand.

I dunno how I feel about it, the red eye orb was a big problem in DS1 due to SL matchmaking, but with soul memory match making a reusable invasion item would be fine.

It makes a certain amount of sense to me to do it that way, considering that there are other options for NG/low level pvp in the form of the bellkeepers and the rat cov. Keep the pvp enclosed in certain areas, and leave the general invasions for when people have their bearings. Plus invaders needed something on the line, and the consumable orbs fill that roll. The mistake IMO is not having the cracked orbs be sold until NG+. Their price, and the fact that the pool of players to be invaded is so much higher due to not having to be in human form, would still mitigate the invasions quite a bit until NG+ anyways.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Metanaut posted:

The thing that works for me is rolling near perfectly through his attacks. The tracking makes simply getting out of range unviable, and the damage is too much to block even remotely safely. So I just got my invincibility frames down so well that I don't get hit at all. But this isn't viable for everyone, I understand.

I'd think that post patch, the easiest tactic is to abuse Lucatiel tanking it drat near forever, and only taking cheap shots when Smelter is attacking her. When the aggro is on you, get the gently caress away until Lucatiel grabs it again.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 2, 2014

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Are the online servers down? I can only seem to play in offline mode but I can't see anything anywhere about them being down

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
^^^ login server apparently down, although FROM's website says servers are up.

So I started a new character for a dexterity playthrough rather than respecing my strength guy. Drop my starting gift for the crows and what do they give me? Old Whip. :getin:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

How I beat the Smelter Demon was putting on Havel's full set, a fire quartz ring, a grym greatshield, and just tanked all the weapon swings aside from the big rear end explosion. Aside from the two times I got exploded on for most of my health, most of the damage done was the demon's piddly fire effect. It took a while obviously, but really god drat safe provided that you, y'know, don't get exploded on.

Clearly the only way to go about doing that boss is just to be a nigh-immobile brick wall at over 100% equip load. I'm so hosed when I attempt that boss again with my sorcerer

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm very disappointed by Bleed in DS2. They've nerfed it from slow buildup -> huge payoff to slow buildup -> mediocre payoff. Instead of nuking away half or more of someone's health it now does like, 1/5th at most and I guess it slows them. That said, the slow effect is much less pronounced than if you get bled in PvE. Given how much damage you have to sacrifice it isn't at all worth it :(

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Ulvirich posted:

How I beat the Smelter Demon was putting on Havel's full set, a fire quartz ring, a grym greatshield, and just tanked all the weapon swings aside from the big rear end explosion. Aside from the two times I got exploded on for most of my health, most of the damage done was the demon's piddly fire effect. It took a while obviously, but really god drat safe provided that you, y'know, don't get exploded on.

Clearly the only way to go about doing that boss is just to be a nigh-immobile brick wall at over 100% equip load. I'm so hosed when I attempt that boss again with my sorcerer

The trick to beating most giant bosses is to stay behind their left leg, also summoning Lucatiel of Mirrah makes the boss much easier once he locks onto her. That girl can tank like a beast.

Deep Space Hitler
Apr 21, 2011

Where should I cap my agility? So far I've pumped ADP to 22 putting me at 98 AGL, and the increase in iframes is noticeable, but does the usefulness of the AGL stat drop off at some point?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Found the best phantom ever yesterday :allears:

His name was Leonardo. He power-stanced katanas. He wore the old ironclad armor (Turtle shell). He had a big blue tattoo across his face.

Absolutely spot on TMNT cosplay right in the middle of :darksouls:

I'm at work or I'd post screenshots, I will later. Just... amazing. That guy is doing it right.

Who wants to form a 3 turtle party and co-op through the game that way? Oh my god... There's no nunchucks sadly, but you could use the mail breaker as a sai, and maybe a twinblade for Don?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Mimetic posted:

^^^ login server apparently down, although FROM's website says servers are up.

How'd you check this? I couldn't find it.

Anyway steamcommunity is down even though the steam store itself is up, is that the reason I can't log in?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think im going to do that in NG+, respec from my caster build and go to down with a ninja turtle. I miss being melee.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Just starting on DS 2; Got a sorcerer up a few soul levels. Does int magic scaling have a soft cap at 20 points? I was getting like 5 bonus points per level and now its like one per 2. Or does that have to do with the staff?

I'm also working towards getting the staff upgraded just a little bit so I can 4 shot the iron armor dudes consistently with greater soul arrow.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For most stats, it basically goes:

- Huge benefit up to 20
- Decent benefit up to 40
- You want a Specific And Good Reason for over 40

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Does killing the host as a phantom still get you 10% their level up cost?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Ulvirich posted:

I'm stuck on him on my sorceror at the moment, anyone I summon to help is completely incapable of tanking and just gets wrecked in less than a minute

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Logan 5 posted:

How'd you check this? I couldn't find it.

People in this thread said it :v:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Attestant posted:

The thing that works for me is rolling near perfectly through his attacks. The tracking makes simply getting out of range unviable, and the damage is too much to block even remotely safely. So I just got my invincibility frames down so well that I don't get hit at all. But this isn't viable for everyone, I understand.

I'd think that post patch, the easiest tactic is to abuse Lucatiel tanking it drat near forever, and only taking cheap shots when Smelter is attacking her. When the aggro is on you, get the gently caress away until Lucatiel grabs it again.

Honestly if you're a big and heavy melee str build you really, really want to get Gyrm Greatshield before fighting him. The boss goes from ridiculously unfair to a walk in the park with that shield. As others have posted, you may also want to do it alone at that point, no need to jack his HP up.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Zaphod42 posted:

but you could use the mail breaker as a sai

Royal Dirk would work well as a sai I reckon.

Vil posted:

For most stats, it basically goes:

- Huge benefit up to 20
- Decent benefit up to 40
- You want a Specific And Good Reason for over 40

Pretty sure that for at least strength and dexterity you get the biggest gains going from 30 to 40.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Wurzag posted:

I'm stuck on him on my sorceror at the moment, anyone I summon to help is completely incapable of tanking and just gets wrecked in less than a minute

What's your soul memory at? I'll try to give you a hand with the power of the :sun:

Edit: I'm at 2.13 million at the moment.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 2, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the pyromancy answer guys. I actually found the chart you mentioned five seconds after posting. :v:

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Is this build: http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/characterbuild:blue-flame-powerstance-mage

Actually viable or just something stupid? This is the first sorcerer I've run since Demons souls (regenerating mana woop woop), and I was thinking this might be fun to run, as it hits everything I've been meaning to try.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Can't seem to connect to the server, is anyone else having this problem?

If not, what can I do to fix this?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Can't seem to connect to the server, is anyone else having this problem?

If not, what can I do to fix this?

Seems the servers are down for now, despite the FROM website saying otherwise.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Red Crown posted:

I'm very disappointed by Bleed in DS2. They've nerfed it from slow buildup -> huge payoff to slow buildup -> mediocre payoff. Instead of nuking away half or more of someone's health it now does like, 1/5th at most and I guess it slows them. That said, the slow effect is much less pronounced than if you get bled in PvE. Given how much damage you have to sacrifice it isn't at all worth it :(

In addition to the slowing effect, they also have their maximum Stamina reduced by 1/2 (I think) for the duration of the bleed effect.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I'm about to attempt a NG+ no death run to get the reward, any tips? :D :D :D :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Don't die.