Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rockopete posted:

What depends? What question are you answering? What does this made up word 'skewness' mean? Why is it so hard to believe that racism has screwed over and continues to screw over black people in America? It seems like in addition to being ignorant of the math you're trying to deploy, you don't actually have a coherent point. Ignore list for you.

Lol skewness is a made up word now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

rscott posted:

what the gently caress does this word salad even mean

'If we want an accurate gauge, since really only one generation has been eligible for accumulating generational wealth, we need to look at what other factors impact and create such accumulation.'

edit: This isn't even the only read I came up with.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 1, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

ColoradoCleric posted:

Yes, basically. Really to get an accurate measurement though you're only look at 1 generation past that have had the opportunity to build that generational wealth, now we have to look at what contributes to further disproportional generational wealth.

The rate of return to capital vs the growth rate of the economy. I.e. The subject of the book of the subject of the thread.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So asians as a race have a propensity to earn more money than whites?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rscott posted:

e:

Turns out income inequality hasn't budged much either, who would have thunk???

So why do the Asians have a higher median than whites?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

ColoradoCleric posted:

The median is going to be thrown off by high income outliers, you want to see what the largest portion of black people make in income if you want to make predictions of future generational wealth.

Nope, that's complete bullshit.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

menino posted:

Nope, that's complete bullshit.

White people: Negative skew

Black people: positive skew

X axis: income

Y axis: # of people

edit: ok the white people won't be completely negatively skewed but they're going to be pushed much further to the right

ColoradoCleric fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 1, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ColoradoCleric posted:

Post civil rights bill is the only real period you can look at families building generational wealth because minorities were discriminated against by the government it self and any measurement is going to be completely overshadowed by this discrimination.

But the fact that household wealth has not been increasing at all since then would seem to completely invalidate this argument? This has been pointed out now multiple times? Are you going to just keep repeating this over and over?

Also for the love of god stop talking statistics you don't have any idea what you're talking about

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

But the fact that household wealth has not been increasing at all since then would seem to completely invalidate this argument? This has been pointed out now multiple times? Are you going to just keep repeating this over and over?

Also for the love of god stop talking statistics you don't have any idea what you're talking about

Are you talking overall economy related or race specific?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ColoradoCleric posted:

edit: ok the white people won't be completely negatively skewed but they're going to be pushed much further to the left

I think you're presupposing additional factors that don't hold up:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ColoradoCleric posted:

Are you talking overall economy related or race specific?

This chart shows white household wealth increasing during the 90s and stagnant beforehand, and black and hispanic wealth being stagnant since the 80s. If your thesis is "black household wealth is increasing, it just has only been doing so since desegregation and is not at white levels yet" it's 100% horseshit, as evidence by reality.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

I think you're presupposing additional factors that don't hold up:

relative to blacks?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

icantfindaname posted:

This chart shows white household wealth increasing during the 90s and stagnant beforehand, and black and hispanic wealth being stagnant since the 80s. If your thesis is "black household wealth is increasing, it just has only been doing so since desegregation and is not at white levels yet" it's 100% horseshit, as evidence by reality.

It's a little hard to read because the white wealth throws it off. Look at the numbers over the years on the black and hispanic lines. Basically hispanic and black wealth doubled since the 1980's, but then went right back to where it had been 20 years earlier in the 2008 financial crash. Hispanics actually are worse off now in the aggregate than they were back in 1984.

The fact that white wealth makes the gains in the hispanic and black communities look stagnant by comparison is a depressingly apt analogy for the actual problem at hand. :smith:

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 1, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ErIog posted:

It's a little hard to read because the white wealth throws it off. Basically hispanic and black wealth doubled since the 1980's, but then went right back to where it had been 20 years earlier in the 2008 financial crash. Hispanics actually are worse off now in the aggregate than they were back in 1984.

White household wealth, according to that chart, averaged around $70,000 in the 80s and 90s, then increased to over $100,000 in the late 90s and beyond. Minority household wealth increased from $6,000 to $12,000. If you think that's a meaningful increase or meaningful stride towards equality I don't know what to say. That's basically nothing. At such a rate it would take over 200 years for the wealth to equalize. Like is this actually what you're arguing, that increasing from $6,000 at a rate of $6,000 every 25 loving years, when white household wealth averages around six digits, is meaningful progress?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My thesis was "black people just barely got equivible equal rights and that was a good spot to start measuring income and wealth attainment.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

icantfindaname posted:

White household wealth, according to that chart, averaged around $70,000 in the 80s and 90s, then increased to over $100,000 in the late 90s and beyond. Minority household wealth increased from $6,000 to $12,000. If you think that's a meaningful increase or meaningful stride towards equality I don't know what to say. That's basically nothing. At such a rate it would take over 200 years for the wealth to equalize. Like is this actually what you're arguing, that increasing from $6,000 at a rate of $6,000 every 25 loving years, when white household wealth averages around six digits, is meaningful progress?

It is definitely a meaningful increase that it doubled, and similarly a meaningful decrease that it subsequently halved.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

ColoradoCleric posted:

My thesis was "black people just barely got equivible equal rights and that was a good spot to start measuring income and wealth attainment.

They don't have equal rights in practice. How else would you explain our criminal justice system's bias against black defendants or unemployment rates that are significantly higher than whites at all levels of educational attainment?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

more friedman units posted:

They don't have equal rights in practice. How else would you explain our criminal justice system's bias against black defendants or unemployment rates that are significantly higher than whites at all levels of educational attainment?

The problem with writing law is that you have to specify directly the transgressions as they happen.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

icantfindaname posted:

No, I don't think it's meaningful progress. That's why I didn't say it was meaningful progress, and also why I edited my post. However, calling a doubling of something "stagnation" is just inaccurate unless you explain what the hell you mean by that. The gains weren't nearly as big as they should have been. The graph shouldn't look like that at all, but you're being just as dumb about statistics as the mean = median guy if you think a thing literally doubling is "stagnation."

You can describe progress toward racial equality as a whole as "stagnant" if you like. That's a subjective thing. However, you're pointing at some actual number here about a specific fast of racial inequality, and you're saying the opposite of what those numbers actually show.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 1, 2014

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001
Going back to the idea that successful businessmen might actually have a worse understanding of the world as a whole, here's a PBS report on a study of rigged Monopoly (starts at 3:20):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RC7KQSdxR0

Transcript posted:

PAUL SOLMAN: Piff has run this experiment with hundreds of people on the Berkeley campus. The rich players are determined randomly by coin toss, the game rigged so they cannot lose. And yet, says Piff, despite their presumably liberal bent going in …

PAUL PIFF: When we asked them afterwards, how much do you feel like you deserved to win the game? The rich people felt entitled. They felt like they deserved to win the game. And that’s a really incredible insight into what the mind does to make sense of advantage or disadvantage.

In all likelihood, we drastically underestimate the brain's ability to completely disregard reality in an attempt to rationalize our advantages as fair and legitimate. And for bonus content:

quote:

PAUL SOLMAN: And, as Piff observed when he ran this experiment with hundreds of doggedly friendly Berkeley types, those in the role of top dog began to bark like one.

And so I get $200 dollars for …

PAUL PIFF: Yes, you get $200 dollars.

PAUL SOLMAN: Well, give me $140 dollars because I’m going to buy Mediterranean.

PAUL PIFF: OK, done.

Now, listen to the way that you just spoke to me. It was very directive, almost like a demand. But we found consistently with people who were the rich players that they actually started to become, in their behavior, as if they were like rich people in real life. They were more likely to eat from a bowl of pretzels that we positioned off to the side. They ate with their mouths full, so they were a little ruder in their behavior to the other person.

PAUL SOLMAN: While I was thanking God no pretzels were present, Piff continued. Those arbitrarily assigned the role of low dog became more nearly man’s best friend.

PAUL PIFF: If I take someone who is rich and make them feel psychologically a little less well-off, they become way more generous, way more charitable, way more likely to offer help to another person.

PAUL SOLMAN: So, when people are playing this Monopoly game and they’re in the poor person role that you’re playing, they, if they were rich in real life, become more understanding, more compassionate?

PAUL PIFF: Not just in this game of Monopoly, but in a whole bunch of other experiments that we have run where we make rich people feel poor or poor people feel rich, you find the same kind of differences.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

ColoradoCleric posted:

The problem with writing law is that you have to specify directly the transgressions as they happen.
What does this have to do with discrimination in courts and in employment?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Negative Entropy posted:

What does this have to do with discrimination in courts and in employment?

Because you have to write ever Law that prevents ______.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ColoradoCleric posted:

idgi

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

ColoradoCleric posted:

You don't actually have a point to make, do you?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

ColoradoCleric posted:

Please be more clear before I pimp slap you.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You're writing patchwork laws to prevent the transgression from happening again.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Alternative if you don't think you can fix the existent system using the system Thomas Jefferson suggested shooting your corrupted leaders.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ColoradoCleric posted:

You're writing patchwork laws to prevent the transgression from happening again.

Who? What laws? When? Give specific examples, posts, laws proposed, etc, etc

Like it's obvious you don't have any point to make and are just here to drop shitposts and feel smug about the libtards ITT, all the while you don't understand statistics terms you're supposed to learn in loving middle school

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 1, 2014

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

ColoradoCleric posted:

Except African-Americans are discriminated against on crimes equal to that of whites.

ColoradoCleric posted:

Alternative if you don't think you can fix the existent system using the system Thomas Jefferson suggested shooting your corrupted leaders.
FWACK
How dare you get spit on my gloves! FWACK FWACK.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ColoradoCleric posted:

So why do the Asians have a higher median than whites?
This topic actually came up in one of my literature courses, of all places. A guy objected hugely to the idea of classes in America because his father was a dentist in India, came here to America, worked his rear end off, became a dentist in America, now he's rich, meritocracy, the system works!

The teacher said, first, just because our classes are relatively porous compared to, say, the UK, doesn't mean they don't exist. Second, he asked, is being a dentist a middle-class sort of profession in India? Yes, the student said.

Ah, the teacher said: Your father, not to poo poo on his taking a risk or working hard or anything at all, chose to move from being middle-class in India, to being middle-class in America. That isn't the same thing as rags to riches; in relation to his overall society, he was in about the same place, even if he was obviously much better off in absolute terms. And this worked backwards too - he was already a dentist, and therefore educated, in India, right?

I imagine this is more common in the Asian American community (though this is both conjecture, and obviously not universal; "Asian" includes Hmong refugees and stockbrokers from Taiwan, after all) than it is in the Hispanic or African American community. Whites in America include all of the poor whites (and there are many) as well.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

ColoradoCleric posted:

No we're just trying to separate the two post civil rights.

Why would you attempt to do that? Is capitalism embellishing itself in existing racism that problematic for you?

It's like the mutually exclusive concepts of being "socially liberal" and "fiscally conservative". One ultimately undermines the other, depending on which you choose.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Well, before we go down another bad derail (not saying your post was bad, just that this thread has some bad juju):
http://www.education.com/reference/article/unraveling-minority-myth-asian-students/

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 1, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Negative Entropy posted:

Well, before we go down another bad derail (not saying your post was bad, just that this thread has some bad juju):
http://www.education.com/reference/article/unraveling-minority-myth-asian-students/
Oh, yes, I'm familiar with that particular line. This part

quote:

2. The model minority myth neglects history and the role of selective immigration of Asian Americans. The 1965 Immigration Act significantly changed the demography of Asian Americans in the U.S. today. In particular, the Act allowed a greater number of educationally and economically successful Asian American professionals who could "contribute" to the American society (Takaki, 1993). Like many other Americans, academic success of Asian American students was correlated with income and educational levels of their parents.

was basically what I was referring to.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

wateroverfire posted:

No, being a successful business person pretty much requires that you understand the world and how it works. If you don't get it right consistently you fail.
I've worked with many educated professionals (doctors) who were good at their profession and managed a private practice well enough to stay in business and make good money yet they also did stupid poo poo like buy at the peak of a housing bubble, deny a housing bubble is even possible, consistently click and download all the viruses/phishing links in their email, didn't know what a bond was, racist and/or sexist, can barely use their smartphone, <insert all kinds of stupid poo poo here>, etc.

Being good at running/doing a business or a profession just proves you're good at running/doing that particular business or profession. It doesn't automagically grant you any sort of special or advanced understanding of the world or for that matter any other subject or profession.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ColoradoCleric posted:

Got a link handy?

Sorry, missed this earlier.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/04/segregation-now/359813/

EDIT: Ah, I see someone posted it and he failed to respond. How surprising!

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 1, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Being good at running/doing a business or a profession just proves you're good at running/doing that particular business or profession. It doesn't automagically grant you any sort of special or advanced understanding of the world or for that matter any other subject or profession.

For proof just google for any theoretical physics professor saying anything about the economy. Being incredibly talented in a field doesn't broaden your perspective, it narrows it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

:

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 2, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

ColoradoCleric posted:

No, I'm saying post equal rights amendment unless the school is actually discriminating against minorities its not segregation and that blacks attending black majority schools are just self segregating themselves.

Think more malcom X

So mortgage redlining, racist city planning, and "neighborhood schools" = Self Segregation. Gotcha.

Kind of reminds me of Self Deportation...

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

For proof just google for any theoretical physics professor saying anything about the economy. Being incredibly talented in a field doesn't broaden your perspective, it narrows it.

Wow, this thread went places.

I've worked with entrepreneurs and business owners and I found them in general much more thoughtful on economic issues than people on average. Maybe it's different here because Chile is such a small country and policy has such an outsized effect on business, or because finance in particular requires people to stay informed on economic issues. I suspect, rather, that we're valuing different things as knowledge and perspective. D&D as a body of posters is intensely ideological. Most posters here have perspectives, one way or another, derived from media and punditry that we all acknowledge is terrible, some posters have academic knowledge filtered through other commentators ("I read a blog that referenced a paper, etc"), a few actually slog through some academic literature, but all of it gets stripped of context and content until it supports the dominant D&D narrative (Capitalism BAD, white people BAD, etc). Very seldom can we even agree what the relevant facts of a matter are, or that an argument has been settled and should be abandoned (example: the fringe critiques of neoclassical economics that constantly resurface despite being debunked repeatedly).

Maybe Ardennes is right and it's a lot of sour grapes on my part.

The treatment of Piketty is a good example, though, to my mind. Piketty is much more equivocal and humble about his research and conclusions than anyone here in this thread has been. His strongest claim is that by the end of the century, maybe, possibly, but possibly not, we can't know, the capital / income ratio will revert to its very long run ratio (which is higher than it is now, and much higher than in the anomalous post-war period). He doesn't predict crisis or collapse. He clearly has some strong beliefs about social justice but those are separate from his actual academic contribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yes it is sour grapes that people won't agree with you when you try to claim some kind of superiority of position because you aren't ideological (hint everyone is ideological you moron).

• Locked thread