Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I found Darkdiver Grandahl in Black Gulch but he says I'm not ready to embrace the darkness or something. What gives? Why can't I join the covenant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
what is the reward?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Time_pants posted:

I found Darkdiver Grandahl in Black Gulch but he says I'm not ready to embrace the darkness or something. What gives? Why can't I join the covenant?

You gotta find him in two other places first shaded woods and drangleic

Brasseye posted:

what is the reward?

A ring that makes your weapon invisible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Time_pants posted:

He shows up multiple places, and you need to find him in all 3 before he'll talk to you.

He's bored and really wants somebody to play hide and seek with.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Deep Space Hitler posted:

Where should I cap my agility? So far I've pumped ADP to 22 putting me at 98 AGL, and the increase in iframes is noticeable, but does the usefulness of the AGL stat drop off at some point?

People seem to like to go over 100, but 98 is just gravy

I'm basing this off of this video and my own experience; I don't know if anyone else has done a more conclusive test though

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 2, 2014

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

masato tatanka posted:

I'm about to attempt a NG+ no death run to get the reward, any tips? :D :D :D :D

Asceticing The Rotten multiple times to skip the other 3 Great Soul areas is a really safe way to go about the first 1/2 of the game, particularly because of how nasty certain NG+ bosses/areas are. You'll need to accumulate 2m Soul Memory in that playthrough to open the Shrine of Winter.

Ranged weapons, sorceries, hexes and miracles are all your friend. Always play it safe and snipe when you can. NG+ things can catch you off guard and even if you're built really tanky, groups of enemies will kill you very fast.

Practice the mandatory jumps, always double check your health before jumping. When in doubt, heal.

I assume you've at least played through NG+ before, but if this is your first time playing NG+ I would advise against a no death run.

No death is easier on NG. No bonfire is easier on NG+.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Umberger posted:

Asceticing The Rotten multiple times to skip the other 3 Great Soul areas is a really safe way to go about the first 1/2 of the game, particularly because of how nasty certain NG+ bosses/areas are. You'll need to accumulate 2m Soul Memory in that playthrough to open the Shrine of Winter.

Ranged weapons, sorceries, hexes and miracles are all your friend. Always play it safe and snipe when you can. NG+ things can catch you off guard and even if you're built really tanky, groups of enemies will kill you very fast.

Practice the mandatory jumps, always double check your health before jumping. When in doubt, heal.

I assume you've at least played through NG+ before, but if this is your first time playing NG+ I would advise against a no death run.

No death is easier on NG. No bonfire is easier on NG+.

I've done up to NG+++ on console and was breezing through many parts of the game after a while, but I didn't think to skip all those bosses, thanks. I did no bonfire run on NG on this character and it was a fun little challenge for the most part, I can see why it would be easier kitted out with all estus available and items available.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Servers appear to be back up

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Do you just get summoned to refill estust/refresh gear on a no bonfire run?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Laughing Zealot posted:

You could use the small soapstone, or just die.

DuxOmnia
Nov 23, 2007

Old Nick
He wrote the book
on Princeing
Steam is upp, therefore Try login

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

Life Stones.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Laughing Zealot posted:

Small soapstone is best, just help someone out for a couple minutes and you get souls and health/casts/durability/estus gets restored without restoring all the enemies in the area. The worst part is if you don't strategically light bonfires you have to run all the way back to wherever. You can light bonfires but not rest at them, use homeward bones, and use primal bonfire warps so it's not that bad a run.

Also if you do no bonfire on NG like I did I recommend starting as Cleric with Heal because you won't get to attune anything all game.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Umberger posted:

Ancient Dragon is nowhere near a "gently caress you completionists" boss and there are tons of strategies to fight him ranging from cheesing him to legitimately avoiding his attacks/learning patterns like any other boss. THIS is the true "gently caress you completionists" part of the game.

Im just gonna remind people what you had to do to get Niers "golden" ending.

You had to do have all of the weapons and drops, beat the game again (maybe on the 3rd time) and then delete your save

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
People who summon two white phantoms before summoning a Red Sign phantom deserve every bad thing that ever happens to them.

And people who attack Red Sign Phantoms while they're bowing deserve even worse.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Vil posted:

For most stats, it basically goes:

- Huge benefit up to 20
- Decent benefit up to 40
- You want a Specific And Good Reason for over 40

Incorrect. The new soft cap now in Dark Souls 2 is 50, unless something has horrendous scaling(which staves do not). If you're pure sorcery, you want 50 INT anyway to use the best sorcery staff in the game.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arthur Crackpot posted:

People who summon two white phantoms before summoning a Red Sign phantom deserve every bad thing that ever happens to them.

And people who attack Red Sign Phantoms while they're bowing deserve even worse.

You're an idiot. gently caress your "honor".

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Bowing is for idiots.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Also only noticed on PC the little guys on the giant backs in Harvest Valley. Poor guys being used against their will. :(
Pretty sure you get little soul wisp-trails when you kill them from both units too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Arthur Crackpot posted:

You can cancel out of emotes now so its really a non issue.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Fashion Souls up in this.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

masato tatanka posted:

I've done up to NG+++ on console and was breezing through many parts of the game after a while, but I didn't think to skip all those bosses, thanks. I did no bonfire run on NG on this character and it was a fun little challenge for the most part, I can see why it would be easier kitted out with all estus available and items available.

It's moreso that before NG+ starts you can prepare with spells if you have/use any and you can stock up on Repair Powders plus get a Bracing Knuckle Ring+1 which basically trivializes that element of the run. Having more and stronger Estus is nice but it's not that big of a deal really.

Exmond posted:

Im just gonna remind people what you had to do to get Niers "golden" ending.

You had to do have all of the weapons and drops, beat the game again (maybe on the 3rd time) and then delete your save

I don't doubt that games have worse "gently caress you completionist" things, but getting 100% in Dark Souls 2 is significantly harder than either of the other two games. Which is weird because achievement-wise it's probably the simplest one.

masato tatanka posted:

Small soapstone is best, just help someone out for a couple minutes and you get souls and health/casts/durability/estus gets restored without restoring all the enemies in the area. The worst part is if you don't strategically light bonfires you have to run all the way back to wherever. You can light bonfires but not rest at them, use homeward bones, and use primal bonfire warps so it's not that bad a run.

In my no bonfire/no death run I only lit three:

Majula when you get to it. Shaded Woods when you're about to go to Drangleic Castle so you can get really close to Aldia's Keep right after Undead Crypt, then King's Gate of Drangleic Castle so I could grab the Faraam Armor :v:.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I limit "honor" to not dogpiling in the Belfry Luna. Any old fool can grind Titanite Chunks, the real joy is in beating some guy one on one :colbert:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What is that predator mask?! :aaa:

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Piell posted:

Bowing is for idiots.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Silly me, here I was almost having fun the wrong way!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

masato tatanka posted:

I'm about to attempt a NG+ no death run to get the reward, any tips? :D :D :D :D

Try jumping!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Gankers are a fact of life, get used to it. If someone doesn't want to fight honorably, that's their right. Adapt. Either fight them cheaply, or black crystal out.

If you aren't skilled enough to cancel out of an emote and counter, it's completely your fault.

I hate to bring up the whole get good argument, but that's really your only viable course of action here.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Silly me, here I was almost having fun the wrong way!

Keep bowing and tell us how that works out for you in a game where you are meant to slaughter anything that is there to kill you.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Holy poo poo Darklurker. How the hell are you supposed to deal with this. One of them always hangs the gently caress back lobbing lasers or that bullshit darksuperdeathball at me while the other clings to me doing nothing but the AoE. I've almost run out of effigies on my vendors trying to kill this fucker.

e: VVV Taking my time is whats killing me. I've fought the dude 20 times now and as soon as he splits I never have an opening to do damage, or heal, or even regen stamina. I run out of stamina just trying to dodge roll their neverending attacks. It'd be a little less bullshit if at least their attacks synched up so it's not one guy oneshotting you as you dodge the other guys OHK

Domattee fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 2, 2014

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Domattee posted:

Holy poo poo Darklurker. How the hell are you supposed to deal with this. One of them always hangs the gently caress back lobbing lasers or that bullshit darksuperdeathball at me while the other clings to me doing nothing but the AoE. I've almost run out of effigies on my vendors trying to kill this fucker.

Pyromancy. Other than that just learning the patterns and taking your time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Domattee posted:

It's weak to Pyromancy. If you can predict when he's about to split apart something like Firestorm will gently caress him over, royally.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Arthur Crackpot posted:

summon two white phantoms before summoning a Red Sign phantom

Yeah thats pretty loving lame

Arthur Crackpot posted:

attack Red Sign Phantoms while they're bowing

Don't see the problem with this though. Protect yourself at all times.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Arthur Crackpot posted:

A lot of people here think bowing or such before fights is really stupid. Personally, I like to emote, but if they attack me, it's my own drat fault. I suggest if you want to bow, that you do so when they are outside of a range they can do anything to you.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Domattee posted:

e: VVV Taking my time is whats killing me. I've fought the dude 20 times now and as soon as he splits I never have an opening to do damage, or heal, or even regen stamina. I run out of stamina just trying to dodge roll their neverending attacks. It'd be a little less bullshit if at least their attacks synched up so it's not one guy oneshotting you as you dodge the other guys OHK

Don't lock on so you can more easily keep track of the two of them, learn when to dodge, and if you can get them both close, Firestorm seals the deal.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
gently caress people that summon phantoms to fight in PvP ganksquads. You are seriously wasting my Sunbro time, which I would rather spend punching the nearest boss in the groin. I just crystal out if summoned for that.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Attestant posted:

gently caress people that summon phantoms to fight in PvP ganksquads. You are seriously wasting my Sunbro time, which I would rather spend punching the nearest boss in the groin. I just crystal out if summoned for that.

It hasnt happened to me yet but I would stand around and cheer the red phantom on if I saw someone do this.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Found the best phantom ever yesterday :allears:

His name was Leonardo. He power-stanced katanas. He wore the old ironclad armor (Turtle shell). He had a big blue tattoo across his face.

Absolutely spot on TMNT cosplay right in the middle of :darksouls:

I'm at work or I'd post screenshots, I will later. Just... amazing. That guy is doing it right.

Who wants to form a 3 turtle party and co-op through the game that way? Oh my god... There's no nunchucks sadly, but you could use the mail breaker as a sai, and maybe a twinblade for Don?

April....is that you, April? April? APRIL?

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Gankers are a fact of life, get used to it. If someone doesn't want to fight honorably, that's their right. Adapt. Either fight them cheaply, or black crystal out.

If you aren't skilled enough to cancel out of an emote and counter, it's completely your fault.

I hate to bring up the whole get good argument, but that's really your only viable course of action here.

Vintersorg posted:

Keep bowing and tell us how that works out for you in a game where you are meant to slaughter anything that is there to kill you.

Perhaps I should clarify my position.

Yes, I know you can cancel out of emotes, and when I see someone trying to get a free shot on me when I'm bowing, I always roll out of it.

And yes, I'm aware that people will gank me and that the point of pvp is to cause misery and suffering etcetera ad nauseum.

But sometimes, it's fun to just drop a red sign, get summoned, bow to each other as equals and duke it out. I was simply expressing frustration towards a string of people who didn't want to let me have that kind of fun.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Brasseye posted:

It hasnt happened to me yet but I would stand around and cheer the red phantom on if I saw someone do this.

First time it happened to me, there was a fellow sunbro that seemed as annoyed as I was. We ended up stripping naked, spamming emotes, swapping weapons around like morons, and watching the host die in the first duel vs. a red sign summon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'll stop and do the pre-battle stuff if I summon in a red phantom. He's been nice enough not to invade outright so I might as well respect that. People who emote me will get a claymore to the face or an emote back depending on what they're doing.