Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

dino. posted:

It's racist as hell though.

I know I'm going to sound like some sort of redneck bigot, but I actually question whether it's racist in the slightest. It's just named because it looks like a hat this is actually worn in China. And it is something that is actually worn in China, apparently (Google says it's 斗笠). It's not called a "yellow-skinned slitty-eyed hat sieve" or anything. Am I being naïve?

Is everything that's named after something racist? Is it racist to eat Welsh rarebit?

Edit: Now THIS is a racist Chinese hat snype:

Edit edit: Hahahaha

Costume website posted:

No matter if you turn into an Indian, an African or into a Japanese sword fighter, accessories like the Chinese Hat add the finishing touch to any foreign costume.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Everything's racist. Embrace it.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Doh004 posted:

Everything's racist. Embrace it.

I will never again eat an Asian pear, those dammed yellow-skinned fruits.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
calling use of the word 'chinois' racist or hate speech is frankly insulting to the concept of racism

real racism exists in the world - it's really loving ugly, and you know it when you see it.

not when you're straining some stock or pasta or something. one shouldn't demean the seriousness of racism as an issue by pussyfooting ones way into a feigned attempt at political correctness in an attempt to make ones own guilt/shame - wherever it may be coming from - feel like less of a burden.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

SubG posted:

Daniel Piechnick or Adelaide, South Australia:

Introduction

Internet entrepreneur.

Member and former State Chairman of Mensa.

Current highest rated tournament Scrabble player in SA. (as of Feb '12)

He's also a nationalist who joined the BNP (despite being an Australian in Australia) because he liked their organization and stood for election for a fat right racist party called One Nation. He's 100% real and awful and has the palette of a piece of felt.

Honestly I'm just as offended by his constant boasts about getting free food by complaining about everything. Racist AND gauche.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

dino. posted:

I've seen those hats on people all over Vietnam, but none at all in China. I'm not sure that I'd call it hate speech either. It's racist as hell though.
How is it racist? Wikipedia calls it a "Conical Asian Hat". Is it because the hat is used in places other than China as well as China?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Banana wine y'all yeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

I will never again eat an Asian pear, those dammed yellow-skinned fruits.

But they're white on the inside

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I know I'm going to sound like some sort of redneck bigot, but I actually question whether it's racist in the slightest. It's just named because it looks like a hat this is actually worn in China. And it is something that is actually worn in China, apparently (Google says it's 斗笠). It's not called a "yellow-skinned slitty-eyed hat sieve" or anything. Am I being naïve?

Is everything that's named after something racist? Is it racist to eat Welsh rarebit?

Edit: Now THIS is a racist Chinese hat snype:

Edit edit: Hahahaha

I agree. And while it might not be hate speech, I think we can all agree that it's hat speech! :rimshot:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

dino. posted:

I've seen those hats on people all over Vietnam, but none at all in China. I'm not sure that I'd call it hate speech either. It's racist as hell though.

I've seen them used in the countryside in China by farmers, particularly in the southern regions. They sure look practical in that glaring sun.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

I've seen them used in the countryside in China by farmers, particularly in the southern regions. They sure look practical in that glaring sun.

Your racism sickens me!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Tell me more.

@sciencetastic: fair enough.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

dino. posted:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Tell me more.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Scientastic posted:

Tell me more.

I just noticed that your username is Scientastic not Sciencetastic my whole life is a lie my world is crumbling around me

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

I just noticed that your username is Scientastic not Sciencetastic my whole life is a lie my world is crumbling around me

Not so much a lie, more a little error.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

dino. posted:

Tell me more.

Around Christmas 2013 my grocer friend had a huge overage of bananas to get rid of, so I ended up with like 30 cases. Most of them went to the pigs, of course, but I kept a few cases and let them fully ripen. Boiled up in water, strained, added just enough brown sugar to get the gravity right, extra yeast nutrient, and champagne yeast for a nice long double ferment. I bottled it last April, and now it's ready to drink. It's reallllllllllly good. Really good.

And I may have drank a bit too much last night when I posted that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That sounds awesome. Any idea on the ABV? Also could you post a picture of it in a wineglass? I'd love to see what banana wine looks like.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Midniter posted:

That sounds awesome. Any idea on the ABV? Also could you post a picture of it in a wineglass? I'd love to see what banana wine looks like.

ABV is 16%. I'll see if I can post a photo tonight.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
That sounds awful.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Croatoan posted:

That sounds awful.

If you have a better idea for a gift to bring your erudite simian friends when they invite you over, I'd like to hear it. :colbert:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

That sounds awful.

I think it all depends on one's view of banana-flavoured things. I like bananas by themselves but I do not care for banana flavourings.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The funny thing is that isn't much banana flavor. It tastes much more like a California pinot grigio, but with a sort of candy-banana flavor on the back end. It's a very curious thing.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Mmmmmm scallops with potato chips, black orbs, cream dollops, and a caramel sauce. Exquisite.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Those hands aren't calloused enough to be a real chef.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Midniter posted:

OH GOD. Same here. gently caress gently caress gently caress. It's like the time I found out that Happy Adobo is not whom I thought it was.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I want to up my game in the kitchen and I'm looking for other things I can cook in the microwave. I've got bacon, cake, pot roast and vegetables (with cheese whiz YUMMO) down pat. Any recipe recommendations?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

So I want to up my game in the kitchen and I'm looking for other things I can cook in the microwave. I've got bacon, cake, pot roast and vegetables (with cheese whiz YUMMO) down pat. Any recipe recommendations?

bacon potroast vegetable cake. (with cheese whiz YUMMO)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Perhaps a day old cheeseburger from McDonald's?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Light bulbs, eggs, and marshmallows.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Peeps

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

CDs are pretty cool. Or a grape sliced in half with just a little skin still connecting the two halves.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Pepperoni. Good garnish.

Best use - warming your plates before you eat.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Perhaps a day old cheeseburger from McDonald's?

Is that thread real life?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Croatoan posted:

So I want to up my game in the kitchen and I'm looking for other things I can cook in the microwave.

Black cod with scallions and ginger

http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1014466/microwaved-black-cod-with-scallions-and-ginger.html

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Aww yeah, got 5 pounds of pork necks and rib ends and other bits and pieces going for adobo. :snoop:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Adobo rules. You've made the right decision.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Adobo rules.

My chili has never been better than when I add in chipotles in adobo. So good.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Taco Bar Potluck lunch at work today. I was (naively) looking forward to it.

So far, I've seen paraded past:

* Cheap jarred salsa
* Crock pot with chicken breast swimming in bean-corn-seasoning packet liquid
* Crock pot pork with some sort of "carnitas seasoning" packet
* Canned black beans (to be uncanned and microwaved - unseasoned.)
* Grocery store pie

Makes me feel kinda dumb for spending time last night making a giant pot of Mexican rice with fresh ripe tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, homemade chicken stock for liquid, etc. At least I can enjoy the rice though, right?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

EVG posted:

Taco Bar Potluck lunch at work today. I was (naively) looking forward to it.

So far, I've seen paraded past:

* Cheap jarred salsa
* Crock pot with chicken breast swimming in bean-corn-seasoning packet liquid
* Crock pot pork with some sort of "carnitas seasoning" packet
* Canned black beans (to be uncanned and microwaved - unseasoned.)
* Grocery store pie

Makes me feel kinda dumb for spending time last night making a giant pot of Mexican rice with fresh ripe tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, homemade chicken stock for liquid, etc. At least I can enjoy the rice though, right?
That's basically every potluck my office has. Funeral potatoes, Velveeta/Jimmy Dean/Rotel/cream cheese dip, Costco veggie tray, soggy Costco pre-made sandwich wrap tray, maybe a box of Dunkin Donuts. And then I bring something good. Everyone raves about how good my food is (it's not that great, I just spent an hour or two and gave a gently caress), but it doesn't inspire them to do anything different next potluck.

Keep doing it. Like you said, at least there's something decent to eat for the one or two people who know the difference. Maybe some day someone else will decide to put some effort in too. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Stuff like that is why I volunteered to cover dinner for our "potluck" Game Night this week. Very few of the regular attendees actually cook *ever*, and even fewer are good cooks. I'm doing a nice but simple (by my standards) salad bar, and next time I can go, I'm gonna do a risotto bar, 'cause gently caress, I love risotto.