Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's kind of funny, because based on Star Driver "a shallow, hollow imitation" is exactly how I would describe Enokido, of Ikuhara. :shobon:

Ikuhari needs to do more stuff. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's kind of funny, because based on Star Driver "a shallow, hollow imitation" is exactly how I would describe Enokido, of Ikuhara. :shobon:

That's a really bizarre thing to say considering that Ikuhara is primarily a director and Enokido is a writer and they worked together on what is pretty easily both of their best work. I'm not really sure what you think Enokido is imitating. Surely we've all seen what a mess Ikuhara can make of things when he's effectively writing it himself in Penguindrum.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Penguin Drum was spectacular and far more interesting than Star Driver even with its flaws. I hope it gets an Adolescence of Utena-style capstone movie some day.

edit: Part of why I make that comparison is because Star Driver and Penguin Drum have very similar issues, namely a) only the main cast is emotionally engaging b) a villain who spends the whole show doing nothing and then folds at the slightest resistance c) side-plots that seem to have been thrown in just to fill up time and may or may not ever get a real resolution.

The difference is that in between those problems Penguin Drum is loaded with abstract symbolism and hysterically funny off-beat humor, while Star Driver has generic anime fanservice and weightless, repetitive robot battles. I came away from Penguin Drum a little perplexed but ready to rewatch it in case I missed something; Star Driver was just disappointing.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 1, 2014

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So...I've been greatly enjoying Nobunaga: The Fool, as one of the most whacked out and crazy shows I've seen in a long time. I noticed there's no discussion thread here, what's the general consensus?

Mostly I absolutely love seeing a Japanese (of all things!) show accurately pronounce Julius Caesar's name when I haven't seen any media in any language do so. Hearing someone say Guy-ous Iul-i-ous Kai-zar as his pronunciation for Gaius Julius Caesar made me an instant fan no matter what the other content. They even didn't stick a random J sound onto Julius!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Seeing all the historical figures was kinda fun, but the show bored me by like the third or fourth episode.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There were equal parts manservice though, hell I think it was more predominant in Meruru given the larger cast of male characters, all of them fitting a particular niche.

The hot springs ending in Meruru was a thing of beauty. Gust are mad geniuses for it. :allears:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Patter Song posted:

Mostly I absolutely love seeing a Japanese (of all things!) show accurately pronounce Julius Caesar's name when I haven't seen any media in any language do so. Hearing someone say Guy-ous Iul-i-ous Kai-zar as his pronunciation for Gaius Julius Caesar made me an instant fan no matter what the other content. They even didn't stick a random J sound onto Julius!
Legion members in Fallout: New Vegas say Kai-zar.

Flocci
May 29, 2013

Terrible and bland.
Just gonna jump in here and defend Captain Earth, which I've been enjoying quite a bit. While not my favorite show of the season, I'm definitely sticking with it. Sure there's a lot o' technobabble but really you can tune that poo poo out and just pay attention to the cute friendships, silly plot, and ubiquitous innuendo. The top notch production values are icing on the cake. Basically I'm a sucker for pretty colorful shows starring cute characters saving the world, and I'm optimistic that the story will pick up steam and drop the technobabble soon enough.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Who cares why the evil robots do what they are doing, its a sperm trying to reach an ovum to fertilize it and the earth engine is a condom.

You just blew my loving mind. Captain Earth makes so much more sense now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Anime I'm watching this season, post 3 episode test:
Jojo(at a pace of 1 episode a month, as I usually do with JJBA, looks like)
Cardfight Vanguard Legion Mate (Interesting ideas this season, and Legion looks cool too.)
Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V (Probably not forever, but for a bit.)
Love Live Season 2 (Watched Season 1 with my friends expecting it to suck and it wasn't... awful?)
Marvel Disk Wars (I have decided an official dropping point, but they haven't gotten there yet.)

Everything else failed the 3-episode test.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Senerio posted:

Anime I'm watching this season, post 3 episode test:
Jojo(at a pace of 1 episode a month, as I usually do with JJBA, looks like)
Cardfight Vanguard Legion Mate (Interesting ideas this season, and Legion looks cool too.)
Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V (Probably not forever, but for a bit.)
Love Live Season 2 (Watched Season 1 with my friends expecting it to suck and it wasn't... awful?)
Marvel Disk Wars (I have decided an official dropping point, but they haven't gotten there yet.)

Everything else failed the 3-episode test.

We live in truly sad times if Mushishi failed the 3-episode test.

Also, related to the (give a hoot!) read a book campaign, I'm re-reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I heard that the English (and subsequently, also the Spanish) version removed a few chapters, and getting the book in original Japanese was kind of a drag.

I'm hoping that, at some point within my lifetime, I get to see an anime adaptation of one of Murakami's works. Especially if it's in the style of Blue Literature.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Wark Say posted:

I'm hoping that, at some point within my lifetime, I get to see an anime adaptation of one of Murakami's works. Especially if it's in the style of Blue Literature.
That is my dream. An anime Kafka On the Shore would be amazing. I think my first ever post on ADTRW was asking for recommendations of anime 'like a Murakami novel'. I think Tuxedo Catfish recommended Tatami Galaxy, which spoiled me for a long time.

I'd also love adaptations of Inspector Imanishi Investigates, The Professor's Beloved Equation, and Devotion of Suspect X.

All of the anime I've seen based on novels/actual writing has been good (Tatami Galaxy, LotGH, Welcome to the NHK, Blue Literature, etc).

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 1, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Wark Say posted:

We live in truly sad times if Mushishi failed the 3-episode test.

One nice thing about ADTRW is that you can reliably sense which posters have, erm, tastes that differ from yours, and simply choose to ignore their opinions.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Mushishi isn't my cup of tea.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I made a thread for Soul Eater Not.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

One nice thing about ADTRW is that you can reliably sense which posters have, erm, tastes that differ from yours, and simply choose to ignore their opinions.

I hope that doesn't include me because my taste is objectively the best.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

Every day I silently grieve for the unrefined heathens who can't appreciate the intellectual depths of my personal taste in Japanese cartoons for 12 year olds.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Namtab posted:

Your taste isn't the best, you just have the beagle-like range of hearing required to enjoy Kiniro Mosaic.

edit: your

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

because of my good anime taste and wonderful anime posting zorak has invited me to be on his next anime podcast.

please look forward to it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

StandardVC10 posted:

Your taste isn't the best, you just have the beagle-like range of hearing required to enjoy Kiniro Mosaic.

You best not be hating on KinMoza ITT. That show is the most adorable.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

madmac posted:

Every day I silently grieve for the unrefined heathens who can't appreciate the intellectual depths of my personal taste in Japanese cartoons for 12 year olds.

This except ironically.

In actual news. I peeped the first 4 eps of Akuma no Riddle and it was p.cool so I'll probably be carrying on with that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Things I'm watching this season:
JoJo
Ping Pong - the Sports anime that's not really a Sports anime
YowaPedal - an actual Sports anime that's continuing from last season
Tonari no Seki-kun
Akuma no Riddle - It sits somewhere around Mirai Nikki and Danganrompa as far as drama and mind games goes. It's decent enough to keep watching
GochuuUsagi - A light and comfy anime. Something to provide contrast to JoJo and Ping Pong
Ishuukan Friends - A more saccharine RomCom. Also a little light.
Mekaku- SHAFT!
No Game No Life - A comedic version of Kaiji which is pretty much fun.
Nanana's Buried Treasure - Solid series all around.
The World is Still Beautiful - Less solid all around, but still interesting
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san - Yes I visit /a/, why do you ask?
Puchim@s!S2 - It's essentially like watching a show about puppies run around. It's kinda adorable.
Kantoku Fuyukitodoki - The anime based off of a manga by Hideaki Anno's wife. The references can get so obscure, it provides its own TN notes.
Kawaisou - A comedy that's at low keep status. I might drop it if I lose interest later
Love Live! S2 - Also at low keep. I already watched S1 though

Why I'm not watching the other must see anime (Mushishi)? I didn't see the first one and :effort:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

because of my good anime taste and wonderful anime posting zorak has invited me to be on his next anime podcast.

please look forward to it

Oh nice, I'm sure it will be good considering how much better taste you have than zorak.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Is there anything out lately in the same vein as DWMA/Soul Eater?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ShadowMoo posted:

Is there anything out lately in the same vein as DWMA/Soul Eater?

There's Soul Eater Not, though it's a different genre.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp
I don't care about any of this!!

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp
Actually this looks cool

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Wow, that is a very unfortunate design for the girls' magical...uh...device.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Oh nice, I'm sure it will be good considering how much better taste you have than zorak.

Stuff it with the spoilers, rear end in a top hat, not everyone's read the Zorak's Podcast manga.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

The smartphone that the mascots are wielding? I'm pretty sure those exist on Japan!

Oh wait you mean the dildoes.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I had trouble believing that was real until I did a reverse image search.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What is that? Jewelpet with Homura and Cure Dream brandishing dildos?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It is Lady Jewelpet. Its not very good. The end.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ5ziNOtoMU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Atlus just announced a Persona 4 Golden anime TV series for Summer.

All of my what.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

aers posted:

Atlus just announced a Persona 4 Golden anime TV series for Summer.

All of my what.

Whaaaat. Wasn't that what the anime was in the first place? A promotion for the game??

What are they gonna do, insert scenes with Marie and keep everything else the same?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It has new staff, it'll be completely reanimated etc.

A-1 instead of AIC ASTA.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well if they don't change Yu from his brilliant anime self that'd be nice.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

aers posted:

It has new staff, it'll be completely reanimated etc.

A-1 instead of AIC ASTA.

What in the...

Why?

E: No seriously why? If its another 2 cour P4 anime then what is even the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErH-MEgQHW4

Dunno man. Dunno.

• Locked thread