Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

88h88 posted:

Could someone please explain to me just what the deal is with Belfry Luna I mean just what am I supposed to be doing? I talked to the guy on the door but he's clearly mental and I go wander about and get attacked despite supposedly being friends with door dude...

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/bell-keepers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Ok I loving love this game I have had two days off this week and have literally gone gym in the morning and spent the rest of the day playing Dark souls 2 and eating cookies.

Even when I tell myself to go do something else I end up zombie walking away from what I had planned to do and turning my PC on to play this game.

Also whats the deal with being summoned as a grey phantom it really sucks because there are loads of adds to deal with along with a dude trying to kill you, any tips to deal with mob threat ? are there any spells or items I can get to stop mobs targeting me in this situation or do I need to just stfu and learn to play?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You're pretty much at the mercy of the host when you get pulled into their world as a grey phantom (this is the rat covenant's doing btw). You don't actually have to kill them to win, just make it to the fog door, so sometimes its best to just run. At any rate you don't lose anything by being summoned and you may win a pharros stone if you make it out. Its also only for the two rat cov areas.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

There's a Pharos Lockstone thing near the platform with the rear end in a top hat Greatbow knight in the Iron Keep. I think it activates water. Is it worth using?

If you're going to attempt to get the items in the lava, yeah. It also has a passive healing bonus if you just stay in the pool. There's only about 4 items in the Lava anyways, 1 is a Phoenix Parma Shield (basic shield that isn't special in any way), another is Chaos Storm pyromancy and a fire seed (useful spell) and the last is right next to the first bonfire and is a human effigy.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people
Are Bleed or Poison worth getting for PVP on a medium speed weapon? Or do the common PVP gear sets have too much resistance for it to be worth getting? And if Status Effects suck, then are Fire or Lightning worth getting, when my character is mainly STR based, with about 3 INT and 6 FTH?

Also, does anyone else have issues with the Brotherhood of Blood arena queues? It's either I get a match in the first 3 seconds, or it takes forever and I just cancel and re-queue.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

VoLaTiLe posted:

Ok I loving love this game I have had two days off this week and have literally gone gym in the morning and spent the rest of the day playing Dark souls 2 and eating cookies.

Don't the cookies negate the workout you did that morning?...

I commend you though.. Besides the cookies part, i've been doing the same exact thing.. But Pizza Rolls for me :D

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

88h88 posted:

Could someone please explain to me just what the deal is with Belfry Luna I mean just what am I supposed to be doing? I talked to the guy on the door but he's clearly mental and I go wander about and get attacked despite supposedly being friends with door dude...

It's a optional PVP area. What you as the host player need to do is run up the two flights of stairs, and climb the ladder to the top. Up there is a lever that you need to pull, which opens the gate blocking the fog door on the second level. Now go back down and through this fog door, and prepare for Belfry Gargoyles Redux.

Oh, and players will be invading you until you get into the fog door. However, if you pull the lever then die, the gate stays open and you can skip the roof part.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

You're pretty much at the mercy of the host when you get pulled into their world as a grey phantom (this is the rat covenant's doing btw). You don't actually have to kill them to win, just make it to the fog door, so sometimes its best to just run. At any rate you don't lose anything by being summoned and you may win a pharros stone if you make it out. Its also only for the two rat cov areas.

Yeah, just rush to the exit. It's a small area and you can just guess the right way while leaving all the rats behind, and if you make it to the bonfire you get a free lockstone and you're done with the area. Don't bother fighting the guy, it's not a fair fight.

Elman fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 2, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Huh, my 360 controller is making GBS threads it self. Plugging it into my USB port results in the upper left and lower right parts of the ring to blink once and then it turns off.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wow, so, gently caress Belfrey Luna :sigh:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Huh, my 360 controller is making GBS threads it self. Plugging it into my USB port results in the upper left and lower right parts of the ring to blink once and then it turns off.

Check the breakaway part of the cable. Sometimes it comes loose at that point, which is barely noticeable unless you look really close.

Randler fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 2, 2014

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Oh god duel Caestus is so much fun. Not sure what they're like in PvP yet though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Holy Cheese posted:

Oh god duel Caestus is so much fun. Not sure what they're like in PvP yet though.

Fantastic.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Are Bleed or Poison worth getting for PVP on a medium speed weapon? Or do the common PVP gear sets have too much resistance for it to be worth getting? And if Status Effects suck, then are Fire or Lightning worth getting, when my character is mainly STR based, with about 3 INT and 6 FTH?

Also, does anyone else have issues with the Brotherhood of Blood arena queues? It's either I get a match in the first 3 seconds, or it takes forever and I just cancel and re-queue.

Bleed is pretty bad in PvP, Poison is good but you need a fast weapon, a strength build probably won't get anything out of it. Infusions won't be worth it either with those stats.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

explosivo posted:

Wow, so, gently caress Belfrey Luna :sigh:

Guide to Rushing Belfry Luna for Hosts in a Hurry: (bellbros don't read, ok?)

When you first enter Belfry Luna you'll see a huge pile of puppet corpses with a hole in the wall above it. You can see a room through this hole. You can access this room by dropping through a hole on the second floor. The first thing you want to do when entering luna is to rush to the second floor. If you haven't been invaded yet, keep going. If you have, drop into the hole into that room. This room has one exit. Wait by it. The invader will drop through the hole behind you into the room you're in, at which point you can barrel out, back up the stairs, and reach the boss door (or bell lever) before the invader(s) can catch up to you. You can slow them down more by leaving long-duration pyromancies behind you like poison fog or lingering flame - most players will hesitate before rushing through those things, and since you aren't here to fight, that's all you need.

edit: P.S. wear the cat ring because otherwise you'll take a little falling damage from dropping through the hole.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 2, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Also worth noting that ascetic-ing the bonfire to respawn the boss does NOT re-seal the gate. Ring the bell once and the boss room is open forever! I was pretty happy to find that out.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Also if you get invaded (Or invade, in Ratbro case) you're safe for ten minutes, so you could just jump into a bullet and carry on looting the place clean.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Domattee posted:

Bleed is pretty bad in PvP, Poison is good but you need a fast weapon, a strength build probably won't get anything out of it. Infusions won't be worth it either with those stats.

Status effects get applied on every hit, so the go-to poison weapon is Ricard's Rapier. Its unique R2 hits four or five times in quick succession.

On console I played around with the Chariot Lance and the bloodbro ring for bleeding. The Chariot Lance can't be infused but has bleed natively, so if you can nail someone with the running attack you'll probably inflict bleed. I didn't do it for very long before migrating to PC but it was fun.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DreadNite posted:

Don't the cookies negate the workout you did that morning?...

Cookies justify the workout. :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Suitaru posted:

Status effects get applied on every hit, so the go-to poison weapon is Ricard's Rapier. Its unique R2 hits four or five times in quick succession.

On console I played around with the Chariot Lance and the bloodbro ring for bleeding. The Chariot Lance can't be infused but has bleed natively, so if you can nail someone with the running attack you'll probably inflict bleed. I didn't do it for very long before migrating to PC but it was fun.

How can you tell if you've inflicted the bleed effect on someone anyway? I'm not sure if I've ever had it trigger with the morningstar, but maybe everything is just dying first, including other players.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Just finished the game and had a thought

So - was that the actual ending? Is there something else? Honestly, I feel as if there should be something else. Making the Golems move back, going over and smashing the thing? That'd make sense. I wonder if it's just really hidden?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

IchGestalt posted:

Just finished the game and had a thought

So - was that the actual ending? Is there something else? Honestly, I feel as if there should be something else. Making the Golems move back, going over and smashing the thing? That'd make sense. I wonder if it's just really hidden?

Nnnnope, that's pretty much it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What covenants do I need to get the "all sorceries/miracles/pyromancies/hexes" achievements? only Bell Keepers +2, Pilgrims of Dark +3 and the rest being sold in NG++? Or is there something else I've missed?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Asehujiko posted:

What covenants do I need to get the "all sorceries/miracles/pyromancies/hexes" achievements? only Bell Keepers +2, Pilgrims of Dark +3 and the rest being sold in NG++? Or is there something else I've missed?

Heirs to the Sun +3

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wait. You mean to get all the spells I have to become a bellboy and do pvp bullshit? :gonk: I miss being able to completely ignore that side of the game so much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh God dammit. I just accidentally freed Navlaan and now I'll never get Forbidden Sun. :argh:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Do I have to actually be in Belfry Luna to bellbro? Even when I'm wearing the ring, all that happens is I get invaded. Although I just beat the gargoyles, does that make any difference?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Metanaut posted:

Do I have to actually be in Belfry Luna to bellbro? Even when I'm wearing the ring, all that happens is I get invaded. Although I just beat the gargoyles, does that make any difference?

Not at all. You can be anywhere in the Bastille, or as I found out No Man's Wharf. I assume there's other places too.

Beating the gargoyles doesn't affect the invasions though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Metanaut posted:

No, it's actually better if you don't stay in the Belfries, unless you want to get invaded by your fellow bros. Granted, Bellbro invasions count for +2 to your death count for the Covenant, so you could also do that on the side if you're just trying to rank up quickly.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Metanaut posted:

If you're trying to invade you want to be somewhere other than in Luna.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wait. You mean to get all the spells I have to become a bellboy and do pvp bullshit? :gonk: I miss being able to completely ignore that side of the game so much.

Bellbroing is trivial most of the time because you will nearly always be fighting 2v1. If you're not 2v1, hide or run until your reinforcement gets summoned in.

Remember: Bellbros never go without backup.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Anybody else have the issue where the Smelter Demon hits you while you're rolling and it knocks you INTO the wall and you get stuck? Happened to me 3 times total last night, twice in a row before I finally beat him. I had to give up dodging his jabs and just block them so as not to get stuck in the wall. That's when I finally won.

evilskillit fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 2, 2014

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Metanaut posted:

There's several locations you can be summoned from, the covenant logo in the top-left will pulse when you're in a place you can be summoned from and are wearing the ring.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Metanaut posted:

You can keep the ring on throughout the entirety of The Bastille. Sadly for Belfry Sol, you must be in the belfry itself (And thus, a target for invasions there) in order for the ring to activate and yank you in. Best bet is to keep doing a circle of the area for the Mad Warrior red phantom for the awesome set and get hits as you can, or go to Belfry Luna. I spent a lot of time in NG extincting almost every enemy in the bastille and sinner's rise waiting for bellbro hits.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nope! You can kill a rare spawn black phantom NPC in Belfry Sol which counts towards leveling the covenant. The downside is it still requires 30 kills.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DelphiAegis posted:

You can keep the ring on throughout the entirety of The Bastille. Sadly for Belfry Sol, you must be in the belfry itself (And thus, a target for invasions there) in order for the ring to activate and yank you in. Best bet is to keep doing a circle of the area for the Mad Warrior red phantom for the awesome set and get hits as you can, or go to Belfry Luna. I spent a lot of time in NG extincting almost every enemy in the bastille and sinner's rise waiting for bellbro hits.

Not true. Sitting in IK will summon you to Sol.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DelphiAegis posted:

Not true. I've been summoned to Belfry Sol from No Man's Wharf. Which was pretty surprising because I haven't even found Belfry Sol yet.

voltron lion force posted:

Not true. Sitting in IK will summon you to Sol.

jinx

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I feel like my rapier build would be more effective at PvP if the mouse input lag was low enough to make parrying viable.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

You can keep the ring on throughout the entirety of The Bastille. Sadly for Belfry Sol, you must be in the belfry itself (And thus, a target for invasions there) in order for the ring to activate and yank you in.

Don't listen to this guy because that's wrong. You can be anywhere in Iron Keep except a boss room and a bonfire and easily get summoned. I usually remained at the bridge while trying to get summoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Bellbroing is trivial most of the time because you will nearly always be fighting 2v1. If you're not 2v1, hide or run until your reinforcement gets summoned in.

Remember: Bellbros never go without backup.

It's not about whether it's hard, I just don't like pvp in this series period.