Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Any remake of P1 would have to ditch both the battle system and the dungeon designs. Both are unacceptable by modern standards as-is. That they had a chance to do so with the PSP version and still dropped the ball is disheartening to say the least. Even Soul Hackers was more playable than that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Real talk, Persona 1/2 did not age well. Now, a show about Raidou I might actually watch.

I'd watch it. Hell, I'd watch anything Megaten-related. I just really like Persona 1 and 2 for their urban occult feel that has never really been replicated in the modern games.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yeah, 3 and 4 can be creepy, but neither capture that dreadful, MegaTen-esque tone of 1 and 2. A lot of it has to do with Kaneko's art.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Eh, I'd thought P3/4, teenaged hijinks aside was really good about the occult feels, mainly thanks to the fact time passes and your characters's everyday's life is not shoved aside.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I can't wait till the P4 anime itself hits Higurashi levels of being milked and we get a ton of OVAs full of awful fanservice and no content at all for years to come.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!
I went through all of these 400+ posts ready for my new Persona 3 version, the wallet was out, I was ready for my SIXTH time, and Atlus you give me THIS poo poo which is a mulligan on an anime that I already own and I kinda halfheartedly defend cos I liked it well enough but NOPE, Atlus needed some lunch money so just give that fan teat ONE MORE SQUEEZE but I'm gonna do it cos I gotta see and you KNOW THIS SO WELL AND YOU ARE loving ME ATLUS, YOU ARE LITERALLY loving ME RIGHT NOW.

I quite like Naoto as a character and it highly disappoints me that her spin-off material is so below-average

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Danbri posted:

I went through all of these 400+ posts ready for my new Persona 3 version, the wallet was out, I was ready for my SIXTH time, and Atlus you give me THIS poo poo which is a mulligan on an anime that I already own and I kinda halfheartedly defend cos I liked it well enough but NOPE, Atlus needed some lunch money so just give that fan teat ONE MORE SQUEEZE but I'm gonna do it cos I gotta see and you KNOW THIS SO WELL AND YOU ARE loving ME ATLUS, YOU ARE LITERALLY loving ME RIGHT NOW.

I quite like Naoto as a character and it highly disappoints me that her spin-off material is so below-average

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Unmature posted:

Yeah, 3 and 4 can be creepy, but neither capture that dreadful, MegaTen-esque tone of 1 and 2. A lot of it has to do with Kaneko's art.

I honestly don't think Persona 1 or either of the Persona 2 games had good stories/characters. Personas 3 and 4 really are a very different thing to the rest of the series though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I had almost convinced myself a P3 remake wouldn't be so bad as long as we for some extra FeMC content but I almost prefer this because the rage the anime announcement provided is so, so, so sweet. It's amazing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

W.T. Fits posted:

I love Marie, if only for the amount of goonrage she inspires in this thread. :allears:

Looking forward to P4GA.

It really is hilarious. Goons hated her before they even knew anything about her. I remember a post that went something like "It makes no sense to add a new character. Everyone will just be like 'Hey we were friends forever and ever and you were always meant to be here. Which is stupid.'

Then it came out and they went "God this character that is intentionally terrible is so terrible!" because apparently they don't understand she isn't supposed to be super special awesome and we're supposed to just shudder in disbelief over how teenager she is.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pretty much lol if you think for a moment that anything besides' Marie's poems were intended to be awful and not just a product of awful writing.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Len posted:

It really is hilarious. Goons hated her before they even knew anything about her. I remember a post that went something like "It makes no sense to add a new character. Everyone will just be like 'Hey we were friends forever and ever and you were always meant to be here. Which is stupid.'

Then it came out and they went "God this character that is intentionally terrible is so terrible!" because apparently they don't understand she isn't supposed to be super special awesome and we're supposed to just shudder in disbelief over how teenager she is.

thats is exactly what happened though, and marie is treated as super special awesome

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

When I played P4G everyone just seems to be like "Oh hey its Yu and Marie, what's up guys?" and "Oh Marie? She's cool I guess."

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Marie is a pretty bad character, but even as someone who dislikes her, I think the rage she invokes is hilarious.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, I don't recall characters fawning over Marie as much as goons claim they do as well. She's kind of an annoying cliché, granted, but not nearly as much as she's said to be.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

I had almost convinced myself a P3 remake wouldn't be so bad as long as we for some extra FeMC content but I almost prefer this because the rage the anime announcement provided is so, so, so sweet. It's amazing.

Right? Nothing pleases me more these days than watching dorks on the internet get SO mad about a thing they could easily ignore.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I remember back when Persona 4 was a good, fun game that people enjoyed and then later were like "Oh yeah Persona 4? Yeah that was a good game"

Those were the days

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Unmature posted:

Right? Nothing pleases me more these days than watching dorks on the internet get SO mad about a thing they could easily ignore.

This raises the valid question of how many people read this thread that have never played a Megami Tensei game before and never intend to, but enjoy the spectacle.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That would take a really sad individual.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
This is all your guys' fault anyway for complaining about double Chie.

Now they have to fix it!

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I actually have a huge soft spot for Persona 1, I think that although the story starts out really badly, it is one of the better uses of what I see as the main series theme of people's inner thoughts/fantasies becoming manifest physically and what happens when the ideal fairy tale-type world inside a character's head becomes entangled with the real world.

Characters aside, P3 always feels like the weakest one to me plot wise because it is the only game in the series that doesn't really substantially deal with this theme, and was just based on the Persona 1 intial premise "science experiment gone wrong" and never really gave an interesting other dimension to all the supernatural goings-on besides the initial novelty factor of the dark hour/tartarus.

It also pulls off a great ominous atmosphere, a large part of it is owed to the original soundtrack. I think that changing the whole soundtrack and opening FMV in the PSP version took away from this a lot.
Even the goofy US localization is just kind of charmingly cheesy.
It is also the first Persona/SMT game I ever played, so I guess there is that bias.

I don't think I could actually play it today though, there's just so many mechanically awkward janky things about it, probably first and foremost the grid combat.
I didn't get very far in Soul Hackers even though it was the first 3DS game I bought, just because it was so janky and dated, so I doubt I could stand actually playing P1 today.

Weirdly, even though I sat through the whole stream and was really grossed out/disappointed with it, the P3 movie recap thing at the beginning kind of made me want to dust off one of the persona games.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

derra posted:

This is all your guys' fault anyway for complaining about double Chie.

Now they have to fix it!

What is double Chie, some kind of animation error in the P4 animation? I got bored with the show and stopped watching halfway through.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

asvodel posted:

What is double Chie, some kind of animation error in the P4 animation? I got bored with the show and stopped watching halfway through.

Chie appears twice in one shot.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Double Chie.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

asvodel posted:

At one point during that scene where they eat watermelons with Nanako Chie is sitting on the deck with Yu and Nanako and a mysterious person who looks identical to Chie in every way is sitting inside with the rest of them. It is a mysterious plot element that the anime really underutilizes. I had Doppelganger Chie pegged as the killer the entire time personally.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

So is it supposed to be a whole new 26 episode run, or what?

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

alcharagia posted:

At one point during that scene where they eat watermelons with Nanako Chie is sitting on the deck with Yu and Nanako and a mysterious person who looks identical to Chie in every way is sitting inside with the rest of them. It is a mysterious plot element that the anime really underutilizes. I had Doppelganger Chie pegged as the killer the entire time personally.

It's Shadow Chie.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I still wish EP got ported to PSP. :( I liked Innocent Sin. Persona 1 was interesting, even if its age really showed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It did though? It just wasn't released outside of Japan.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You can buy the PS1 classic of the english version as well.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

TurnipFritter posted:

I assume so, since it's getting a TV showing in Japan. How that manifests itself is yet to be seen.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nobody should've complained about Double Chie, more Chie is always good. Also, Marie is a really bad character who they seriously wanted you to like because they dedicated an entire dungeon to her, gave her an individual boss theme, and even add her to the overall group. I don't hate her with the anger I used to hate her, but it's not like people overreact when they say she's a garbage character, because she is.

TurnipFritter posted:

If this is a new 26 episodes I will laugh every time this show is brought up, a whole new anime for the sake of just adding Golden's stuff would be hilarious.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hey guys I was talking to my contact in Japan (dude kept diving for my nuts) and I got this still of Marie's new costume for the Golden anime!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So no SMTxFire Emblem or nothing, just a remake of a bad anime that isn't even that old.

They literally made an anime to keep forcing Marie down our throats.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Alteisen posted:

So no SMTxFire Emblem or nothing, just a remake of a bad anime that isn't even that old.

They literally made an anime to keep forcing Marie down our throats.

For those of you wondering, this is how lead writers say "gently caress you".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This series could really use a talking dog.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

New version of persona 4 that replaces Marie with Koromaru. Day 1 purchase.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

More Marie spin-offs. More! Spice must flow! :getin:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Get Platinum to make a spin-off game with Marie set 7 years in the future where shadows have taken over and she's been turned into a cyborg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Orgia Carnaval posted:

This series could really use a talking dog.

Oh man, Koromaru, our canine lord and savior, please save us from this day of misdirected and somewhat disappointing announcements!

Atlus, if you make a Nintendogs-like mobile app with Koromaru, all is forgiven.