Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I'm noticing that, no matter what I do in terms of dusting and cleaning, the mat on my turntable collects a ton of dust and crud and then transfers it to my records. What's the suggestion for a good mat that is easily cleanable if some dust or cat hair or whatever gets on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Get a dust cover.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Barring that, or if you have a dust cover and your house is just really hairy and dusty?, a rubber mat should be pretty easy to rinse.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Kill your cats.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Allen Wren posted:

So I'm noticing that, no matter what I do in terms of dusting and cleaning, the mat on my turntable collects a ton of dust and crud and then transfers it to my records. What's the suggestion for a good mat that is easily cleanable if some dust or cat hair or whatever gets on it?

If you can't handle some dirt and hair you have no business buying records. :colbert:

PS dust covers are for sissies.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Barring that, or if you have a dust cover and your house is just really hairy and dusty?, a rubber mat should be pretty easy to rinse.

That's what I'm figuring. I wasn't sure if there were fabric mats that weren't really loose-weave felt like the one I've got or what. It's not like it's filth-encrusted, it's just really noticeable with a couple instances of clear vinyl I've gotten recently (7 Skies H3 and the new Screaming Females) where I just end up glaring at the cats.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Kill your cats.

Am I suddenly back in gbs?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Seriously though, I hate my cat for the same reason, but as long as the record doesn't skip I let him live.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Snowy posted:

Seriously though, I hate my cat for the same reason, but as long as the record doesn't skip I let him live.

If there's a cat in the vicinity you'll be cleaning your records a lot.

Allen Wren posted:

Am I suddenly back in gbs?

I didn't even know you had cats. But whenever someone complains about records/mats getting dirty quick, it's cats.

But beyond that, what BigFactory said. Rubber has worked well for me.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 2, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Once you embrace the true crackly nature of vinyl you can lead a much more stress-free life.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

Once you embrace the true crackly nature of vinyl you can lead a much more stress-free life.

The problem is this thread constantly telling me about all these delightful new things that are coming out; when I used to scour Goodwill for 99 cent records and was happy with things like a copy of Skylarking that sounded like it had been run through a belt sander, there was much less stress about it. :v:

(Seriously, I don't understand it. The record looked pristine but sounds horrifying. Constant noise. I need a new copy.)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Allen Wren posted:

The problem is this thread constantly telling me about all these delightful new things that are coming out; when I used to scour Goodwill for 99 cent records and was happy with things like a copy of Skylarking that sounded like it had been run through a belt sander, there was much less stress about it. :v:

(Seriously, I don't understand it. The record looked pristine but sounds horrifying. Constant noise. I need a new copy.)

7 Skies H3 is the Flaming Lips album, right? They're kind of notorious for sounding lovely, I know the coloured Heady Nuggs and the colloberation EPs had the potential to sound really noisy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

No, that one sounded okay, I only mentioned it because I lifted it up to flip it over and there was a huge obvious hair from Meyer on the b-side. The records that don't sound okay are the ones I got for a buck from Goodwill, like the aforementioned Skylarking.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Snowy posted:

I'm one of the few cat owners who doesn't ever get hair all up in his wax. :c00lbert:

(I keep my dust cover on and only pull records out of their sealable sleeve covers on high surfaces like the top of my bookshelf, where hair doesn't usually get)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dr. Lenin posted:

I'm one of the few cat owners who doesn't ever get hair all up in his wax. :c00lbert:

(I keep my dust cover on and only pull records out of their sealable sleeve covers on high surfaces like the top of my bookshelf, where hair doesn't usually get)

You must be fun at parties :rolleyes: Do you dudes put on tyvek suits every time you listen to music?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

It's not really cat related, but pre-orders for the 4 LP reissue of 'Come On Die Young' are up at Chemikal Underground:

http://shop.chemikal.co.uk/acatalog/CHEM133.html

I paid extra for the shipping, as when I bought "5:14 Fluoxytine Seagull Alcohol John Nicotine" and skimped on that and it came completely hosed up. The records are fine but the packaging was a mess. On the other hand, when I ordered the Arab Strap boxset that come through in pristine condition, and I don't remember what I chose for that.

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

man im phyched about finding a copy of this comp nice gatefold with extensive notes

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Snowy posted:

You must be fun at parties :rolleyes:

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I'm heading back to the UK for a few weeks, and whilst there want to ship some of my records back to Japan. Does anyone have a recommendation for some sturdy boxes to use, and where to buy them from in England? I'd prefer to send a bunch of boxes with 5-10 records in rather than a box full, it should be cheaper and have a better chance of survival.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
If you're using a felt mat, just get one of those lint roller things and roll it over the mat before you put a record on it. That's how I avoid cat hairs, and it works just fine.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haIj0kOeW3E

Just get your cats to clean your records for you.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
This thread has gone nuts since Record Store Day.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I barely even buy records anymore because it's too expensive :( thanks uni

If I could get a copy of Diamond Mine by Jon Hopkins & King Creosote for not $150 that would be great

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008

Paper With Lines posted:

This thread has gone nuts since Record Store Day.

Thanks corporations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
So I was moving, and I was unpacking my records when I got to my new place, and much to my surprised, I actually have a promo 12" copy of Weird Al's White and Nerdy. I was surprised that it even got pressed to vinyl! But I have to say, you haven't heard Trapped in the Drive-thru until you've heard it coming out of your turntable.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Anyone know where I can buy LP mailers in bulk for cheap?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Another newbie vinyl question: how much ambient hiss is normal on a modern, brand-new pristine record? I listened to the new Aborted album the other day with headphones and noticed lots of hiss. Not pops and clicks, just hiss. Could a cheap, old stylus be the culprit? The quality of the pressing? Or did the headphones just accentuate the natural noise of vinyl?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

caiman posted:

Could a cheap, old stylus be the culprit?

yes

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

het posted:

post about some loving records. There is absolutely no benefit to anyone done by this childish passive aggressive poo poo.

:hfive:

RSD 2014
L->R
Taang! box set
Songs Ohia box set(the wooden 45 adapter is super sicko)RIP Jason Molina
Afghan Whigs-Gentlemen(non RSD)
Leaders of the New School- Future Without a Past...(non RSD)
Joy Division RSD
Build to Spill RSD
Outkast RSD
Notorious B.I.G RSD
The Field RSD
Sebastian Tellier RSD
Screaming Trees RSD
Can(non RSD)

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Elrobot posted:

Notorious B.I.G RSD

Does this skip like loving crazy for you as well? I'm going to email the label this afternoon and complain.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What's in the Taang! box set? Does it include Sold Out by Gang Green because I would love to own a copy of that loving record

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Gonna order the poo poo out of this Dune soundtrack reissue :smuggo:

http://modern-vinyl.com/2014/05/02/dune-soundtrack-getting-vinyl-reissue/

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

alg posted:

A soundtrack? WHY SL::WERWEW:F"EKDL:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Elrobot posted:

Can(non RSD)

Want that so badly. Or at least a nice reissue of Tago Mago.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

shmee posted:

It's not really cat related, but pre-orders for the 4 LP reissue of 'Come On Die Young' are up at Chemikal Underground:
http://shop.chemikal.co.uk/acatalog/CHEM133.html

Yeah that's totally worth $92. :rolleyes:

Greedy loving Scots...

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Personperson14 posted:

A soundtrack? WHY SL::WERWEW:F"EKDL:
This is a bad post, please don't do this.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

alg posted:

Finally! I'm one step closer to completing my Toto vinyl discography.

It all starts with Toto IV. An album that I'm convinced that a majority of parents in the world had. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmOLtTGvsbM

I mean, look at them. This is what a band of goons would probably look like!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caiman posted:

Another newbie vinyl question: how much ambient hiss is normal on a modern, brand-new pristine record? I listened to the new Aborted album the other day with headphones and noticed lots of hiss. Not pops and clicks, just hiss. Could a cheap, old stylus be the culprit? The quality of the pressing? Or did the headphones just accentuate the natural noise of vinyl?

It could be a few things, but the quality of the actual pressing is the most likely culprit. Do you notice it on just that one record or is it present on other things? In any case, if you think your stylus is old and worn it's probably best to replace it anyway.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Since we're talking about this kind of stuff do you guys think I should replace my cartridge? I got a new stylus a while back, but I'm pretty sure the turntable has had the same cart for 30ish years.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

Finally! I'm one step closer to completing my Toto vinyl discography.

It all starts with Toto IV. An album that I'm convinced that a majority of parents in the world had. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmOLtTGvsbM

I mean, look at them. This is what a band of goons would probably look like!

My parents actually had two copies of Toto IV. One's mine now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Personperson14 posted:

Since we're talking about this kind of stuff do you guys think I should replace my cartridge? I got a new stylus a while back, but I'm pretty sure the turntable has had the same cart for 30ish years.

Depends on the cartridge, but as long as you can find needles for it it is probably fine.