Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well I've been playing Disgaea a bunch lately. I think if the genesis of the idea can be attributed to any one thing, it's that.

I do use inherent bonuses, just thought it might be nice to be able to get +2 stuff before the +2 inherent bonus kicks in, but then, that's just the regular item treadmill, isn't it. And as a venue to interact with the setting... nothing really keeps me from writing a blurb about a fire spirit on the item handouts but not attaching a huge subsystem to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Give Mitch an alignment and a goal. Then see what your player does. I'm not a fan of ample numbers of intelligent items though.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well I've been playing Disgaea a bunch lately. I think if the genesis of the idea can be attributed to any one thing, it's that.

I do use inherent bonuses, just thought it might be nice to be able to get +2 stuff before the +2 inherent bonus kicks in, but then, that's just the regular item treadmill, isn't it. And as a venue to interact with the setting... nothing really keeps me from writing a blurb about a fire spirit on the item handouts but not attaching a huge subsystem to it.

Maybe steal advances from 13th Age?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
So WotC has put most of the D&D Encounters Seasons up to their pdf store.

Does anyone have some recollections of them? Which ones were particularly memorable? Or at least playable?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Littlefinger posted:

So WotC has put most of the D&D Encounters Seasons up to their pdf store.

Does anyone have some recollections of them? Which ones were particularly memorable? Or at least playable?

If you were intent on getting any, I would honestly only start with maybe last season's or this season's, because they're open-ended and there's lots of different things to do. Normally, Encounters is "Go here, there's a dull social interaction/horribly handled skill challenge, this encounter happens, end of game week." They are D&D starter kits, not serious material. That all changed with Murder in Baldur's Gate, when suddenly players get serious choices as to where they go and what they do when they get there.

I still didn't like Murder in Baldur's Gate for other reasons (notably a lack of dungeons or dragons and a bunch of terrible Forgotten Realms-style untouchable NPCs).

My Legacy of the Crystal shard game was insanely off the rails so I honestly can't give you a good impression of how that would normally handle.

Scourge of the Sword Coast has been OK.

All other Encounters books are "baby's first D&D."

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks for the input, I'm chiefly interested in how the 4e era Encounters fared.

I don't really mind the babby's first D&D thing (in fact, beginner-friendly adventures would be a plus).
If they have some memorable fights, interesting regions to visit (underwater, Feywild, whatever) and a few minutes of exposition worth of good backstory I'm good, railroading be damned.

Mostly I'm just after some good adventures from the 4e crop, I guess. Hard to accept that all the good stuff has already been listed in the op. :negative:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Littlefinger posted:

Thanks for the input, I'm chiefly interested in how the 4e era Encounters fared.

I don't really mind the babby's first D&D thing (in fact, beginner-friendly adventures would be a plus).
If they have some memorable fights, interesting regions to visit (underwater, Feywild, whatever) and a few minutes of exposition worth of good backstory I'm good, railroading be damned.

Mostly I'm just after some good adventures from the 4e crop, I guess. Hard to accept that all the good stuff has already been listed in the op. :negative:

(All Encounters are 4E... Even Baldur's Gate-onward. BG and the like include rules for 3E, 4E, and 5E setups in web pdfs).

A reasonably experienced DM could out-design a pre-Baldur's Gate D&D encounter night with an hour of prep time and an Insider account, and as a DM, I was often tempted to. I am not kidding when I say they were on rails--they held your hand throughout. There were also often balance issues with the combat (too hard, too easy, monsters rushing the group and pushing players off the map back through the entryway), and the out-of-combat sections were severely half-assed filler. More than anything else, Encounters reinforced the idea that 4E was video game babby poo poo. You read some descriptive text aloud, you go through the motions with an NPC plot hook, you have a fight.

Also, part of the draw of Encounters was that you got the maps, which, while not fantastic, save you encounter prep time. You wouldn't get that on PDF, I don't think.

To tell the truth I am not a big advocate of modules, but if I were to recommend any that I've dealt with, it would be along the lines of the three latest Encounters seasons. You might also try a "low prep time" solution that allows you to build around it, like Dungeon Delve, which is going for very cheap on Amazon right now.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Littlefinger posted:

In that case, Beyond the Crystal Cave has you travel to the Feywild, wrangle unicorns, party with redcaps (or was it leprechauns? I don't remember), shoot the poo poo with an ent, and ride sea animals into battle. It's definitely on rails, but it's at least a good example of what hanging out in the Feywild should be like.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Okay, thanks, that's too bad.

I'm considering MiBG, but I was led to believe that it's more of a loose, free-form scenario that does not really play into 4e's strengths (i.e. a tactical, more balanced combat system for challenging, cinematic encounters). For city intrigue, I might as well ditch D&D and play the scenario in a system better suited for improv, investigation and social challenges.

Or better yet, port some old adventure to 4e and get on with the crunchy dungeon crawls. Speaking of which, a couple of adventures in the Dungeon Crawl Classics line were made for 4e. How fantastic/terrible were those?
(Yeah, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for pre-made materials.)

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
My DM is running a 4E campaign and we haven't played in a long while. He's enforcing Essentials only, and I can't remember if the whole "expertise feat tax" thing is still an issue in Essentials. Anyone clear this up for me?

Edit: Also, if using only Essentials, is there any way to make a semi-passable combination Leader/Defender? There are only 3 of us in the group and the others jumped on Striker and Controller...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sighnoceros posted:

My DM is running a 4E campaign and we haven't played in a long while. He's enforcing Essentials only, and I can't remember if the whole "expertise feat tax" thing is still an issue in Essentials. Anyone clear this up for me?

Edit: Also, if using only Essentials, is there any way to make a semi-passable combination Leader/Defender? There are only 3 of us in the group and the others jumped on Striker and Controller...

Essentials is fine for building a leader but I wish DMs wouldn't do this. "Essentials is more simplistic and easier" is a total myth, all you get from Essentials is a boring power selection. You could make a warpriest or a skald fairly easily.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Besides, you don't want a leader/defender hybrid, you just want a leader. A Warpriest can do a bit of off-defending if built right though.

Essentials still needs feat taxes, but at least the essentials expertise feats all do something in addition to 1/2/3 to hit.

But yeah, limiting to just essentials is kind of gonna get boring.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

(All Encounters are 4E... Even Baldur's Gate-onward. BG and the like include rules for 3E, 4E, and 5E setups in web pdfs).

I wouldn't use Baldur's Gate and onward encounter design as to paraphrase the chat thread when I mentioned one of the encounter design the general feeling was,"What rear end in a top hat of a DM runs your games?"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MadScientistWorking posted:

I wouldn't use Baldur's Gate and onward encounter design as to paraphrase the chat thread when I mentioned one of the encounter design the general feeling was,"What rear end in a top hat of a DM runs your games?"

I'm a little confused by how you parsed this.

I don't have any actual DM experience with post-MiBG, technically, because even though I ran Legacy of the Crystal Shard, it went badly off-script in the first session and never recovered. When we did MiBG we did it in 5E, and the less said about that, the better. AND, I think our DM is largely inventing his own encounters for Scourge of the Sword Coast. So, no, I wouldn't really know about the new encounter design. That being said, these are the first three Encounters seasons that have involved real modules, frankly.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah I'm not sure why he insists on it either. Oh well.

So you would recommend a Leader instead of Defender as a more necessary role? I'm trying to decide between a Warpriest and Knight.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yes, leader is by far the more necessary role. Without one, you'll have no access to surges during combat without spending standard actions (or healing potions for < surge value), which means combats will wind up on a knife edge; if someone goes down you choose between keeping yourself up by killing the enemy, or getting them back up.

D&D doesn't work that well with 3, either. Suggested party size is usually 5.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes, leader is by far the more necessary role. Without one, you'll have no access to surges during combat without spending standard actions (or healing potions for < surge value), which means combats will wind up on a knife edge; if someone goes down you choose between keeping yourself up by killing the enemy, or getting them back up.

D&D doesn't work that well with 3, either. Suggested party size is usually 5.

There are plenty of defender powers that allow you to spend healing surges. I'd say defender is more necessary of the two roles.

Edit: At least, this was my experience playing regular 4e.

Gort fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 1, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

I'm a little confused by how you parsed this.
Basically I had mentioned one of the encounters from the Icewind Dale sessions and the immediate reaction was one of my DM being crappy. Effectively the Icewind Dale sessions are designed in a way to completely and utterly render certain classes and builds completely useless.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007

Gort posted:

There are plenty of defender powers that allow you to spend healing surges. I'd say defender is more necessary of the two roles.

Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case if you strip out everything but Essentials, which basically leaves you with very few choices for customization in each of your classes. Going with a dwarven Sun Warpriest.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gort posted:

Definitely not mine.

Without surge access for others on an encounter basis, you really struggle. It's not impossible to build a defender as an off-leader, but it's not easy.

I've played in Defenderless parties and in Leaderless parties, and the latter is a LOT easier.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Three players can work pretty easily like so:

-Very tanky defender
-Leader who deals a lot of damage
-Any striker

I ran a group like this and they did very, very well.

It's the controller you don't need (the number of monsters you're facing will be small, too).

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Definitely not mine.

Without surge access for others on an encounter basis, you really struggle. It's not impossible to build a defender as an off-leader, but it's not easy.

I've played in Defenderless parties and in Leaderless parties, and the latter is a LOT easier.

Yeah, when I was new to the game I tried to play a game once as the tank+healer (PHB Paladin) and.. yeah.

It's the controller you don't need (the number of monsters you're facing will be small, too).

Comes down to DMing/encounter building; basically, IMHO don't throw ranged+immobilized at the party if they can't do ranged attacks, and don't use a lot of minions without a controller.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Yeah controller is probably the least essential role. Many classes have ways of dealing AoE damage for minion clearance, a defender is essentially a melee controller in many ways, and some strikers like rogues and monks and warlocks can do respectable lockdown. Meanwhile it's hard to replicate marking and incredibly hard to replicate the power of granted surges.

Really if wizards didn't have such absurd dailies I don't think there'd be any argument for having more than one in a party.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

What do I do with a group that's 2 strikers and 2 controllers? Encounter wise they seem to get a bit screwed by everything. Should I just murder one and force a new character?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
A pile of minions backed up by a leader-class monster, maybe a Skirmisher or Artillery type, sounds about right -- Controllers get to clear out/disable masses of minions, strikers get to go shankadelic on the leaders. I'd tune down the average damage a notch to account for the lack of Leaders, maybe have some environmental healing effects if your game's fiction supports it.

The answer to a table problem is almost never 'murder someone's PC'. In this case, encounter composition is pretty drat tunable in 4E, so tune. Alternately, talk to people and see if you can talk someone into switching, or sweeten the pot by saying 'if someone wants to multiclass Leader, I won't even charge you a feat slot', then you've got at least 1 daily heal.

Speaking of multiclassing, does anyone else think multiclassing is insanely feat-intensive, given how high Heroic feat taxes are already? I've considered making all the power-swap feats free -- you only pay a feat slot for the initial multi, then you get a slotless feat at 4,6, and 8, and you can take the swaps of encounter attack/utility/daily attack in any order you like (because gently caress waiting till level 10 to swap a daily). Does that break anything, do you think? Even with this houserule in, nobody in my Eberron game is going for multiclassing.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Cerepol posted:

What do I do with a group that's 2 strikers and 2 controllers? Encounter wise they seem to get a bit screwed by everything. Should I just murder one and force a new character?

Echoing "don't murder the PC's", but thankfully every power source has a leader and defender class. Maybe you can convince one if the controllers (both to be honest) to transition into the leader and defender roles respectively, If you find it too difficult to tune the encounters for a leaderless, defenderless party.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cerepol posted:

Make every encounter a sea of minions surrounding an elite, and pull every punch you can think of.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cerepol posted:

Talk to the players about one or more of them changing class, and/or add a leader companion character.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

AXE COP posted:

Really if wizards didn't have such absurd dailies I don't think there'd be any argument for having more than one in a party.

Agree. I pretty consistently have been in parties without a controller, and specifically without a Wizard; the only guy I've seen play one is a grog whose last character was a Cleric, so I'm not entirely convinced he knows that classes beyond the "4 core" are actually good/do exist.

e:

thespaceinvader posted:

Talk to the players about one or more of them changing class, and/or add a leader companion character.

Or just tack the basic leader mechanic onto an existing character.
Minor Action, Close Burst 5, surge+1d6/5lvls+mod, 2-3-4/encounter
...or something along those lines.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 2, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Cerepol posted:

2 strikers and 2 controllers

That usually happens when people are just interested in the name of the class and don't care about the fact that, for example, an avenger is more or less a striker paladin, fluff-wise. Just talk to them and see if they can switch to a class with the same power source, but different role.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Rexides posted:

That usually happens when people are just interested in the name of the class and don't care about the fact that, for example, an avenger is more or less a striker paladin, fluff-wise. Just talk to them and see if they can switch to a class with the same power source, but different role.

We had a new-to-4e guy once who was like "I wanna play a scummy/sneaky Cleric" and we were like "Do you care about healing? If no, you're an Avenger."

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Paladins do defending/off-leading fairly well, and bards can do leading/off-controller well, or even almost full-time controller if you MC wizard and then go into Resourceful Magician so you can poach wizard powers. Then roll a tiefling, pick up Royal Command of Asmodeus in epic level and spend most of the encounter laughing maniacally as you literally dominate every monster on the board.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

P.d0t posted:

We had a new-to-4e guy once who was like "I wanna play a scummy/sneaky Cleric" and we were like "Do you care about healing? If no, you're an Avenger."

OR he can play a blackguard. OR he can play paladin, which feature support for scummy gods and their scummy followers, and as far as I can tell are better than blackguards.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

P.d0t posted:

Or just tack the basic leader mechanic onto an existing character.
Minor Action, Close Burst 5, surge+1d6/5lvls+mod, 2-3-4/encounter
...or something along those lines.

That too. All you really need is the smoothing effect on encounters of having during-encounter surge access on an encounter basis without someone needing to disengage from combat (ideally also boosted, or your adventuring day is sharply limited in length).

The problem with most non-leader-class options is that they tend to be either limited per day, need to be melee touch range, or both.

FWIW Blackguards can make benchmarks by charging, and are practically built for Frostcheese, but they're a: never gonna be sneaky, and b: not very flexible in terms of potential. They do what they do perfectly acceptably, but without access to multi-attacks they're never gonna be *good*.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

OR he can play a blackguard. OR he can play paladin, which feature support for scummy gods and their scummy followers, and as far as I can tell are better than blackguards.

Secret Option C) Paladin with Gray Guard paragon path :getin:

...actually there are better options but I'm having fun with it in our particular campaign.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

P.d0t posted:

Secret Option C) Paladin with Gray Guard paragon path :getin:

...actually there are better options but I'm having fun with it in our particular campaign.

Yeah I am playing a gray guard who puts everything into damage instead of healing. He does... A lot of damage, but blows dailies left and right.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Yeah I am playing a gray guard who puts everything into damage instead of healing. He does... A lot of damage, but blows dailies left and right.

We're running a "skills are important" campaign, so my Gray Guard is a STR|WIS Deva build for charge-spamming, but we've mostly been fighting solo dragons for the past like... 4 sessions, so YMMV.

DP has some nice combos in there with marking/channel divinity/ardent vow, but I feel like you have to trade some of that down for bursts IMHO if you're ever expecting to fight minions.

I crit 4 times last fight and everyone was like :stonk:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

P.d0t posted:

We're running a "skills are important" campaign, so my Gray Guard is a STR|WIS Deva build for charge-spamming, but we've mostly been fighting solo dragons for the past like... 4 sessions, so YMMV.

DP has some nice combos in there with marking/channel divinity/ardent vow, but I feel like you have to trade some of that down for bursts IMHO if you're ever expecting to fight minions.

I crit 4 times last fight and everyone was like :stonk:

I'm a paladin of Tempus, so I took an executioner axe, Righteous Rage of Tempus (this is incredible), and a full charge kit. This creates a pretty massive nova.

All the DPR is front-loaded on Ardent Vows.

It's fun but you have to juggle damage bonuses round-by-round. I can post him later if you want.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

I can post him later if you want.

Yeah, for sure.

I'm a lazy poo poo when it comes to charop, so I went with a trusty olde greataxe.
I might have added things wrong, but when I crit on my Inevitable Strike, (at level 16) it did like 106 damage. (This is probably pitiful but for my table it was utter insanity)

The wizard crit for 32 and we had a good laugh about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Righteous Rage of Tempus

high roller