Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Magic Pad

Is this one of you guys?! That is a REALLY cool floor, but I don't know why he didn't paint BEFORE putting down the floor...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Fox of Stone posted:

Has anyone altered temple of M'lady yet? I would but I don't play those trash colors.

Illus. Steve Argyle

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

Magic Pad

Is this one of you guys?! That is a REALLY cool floor, but I don't know why he didn't paint BEFORE putting down the floor...

It looks kind of like Todd Anderson or Brad Nelson

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Anyone picking up any Journey to Nyx products today? Thinking of picking up a couple of fat packs and some Theros boosters for some sealed play. Would 3x Theros and 3x Journey be viable? Or would 4x and 2x be better?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

OssiansFolly posted:

Magic Pad

From the progression I kind of got the feel it was a "well I've done this, might as well do this" kind of escalation.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rhaegar posted:

Anyone picking up any Journey to Nyx products today? Thinking of picking up a couple of fat packs and some Theros boosters for some sealed play. Would 3x Theros and 3x Journey be viable? Or would 4x and 2x be better?

I imagine any combination is viable, but I'd go with 2x Theros, 2x Born of the Gods, and 2x Journey, because I imagine that's what R&D spent the most time testing.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I'll be picking up a fat pack tonight, can't say no at least one of them per release.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Rhaegar posted:

I bought a box of Theros and Journey to draft later on. I am sure my fiance will pick me up a fat pack...she usually does when new sets drop.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What's a good checklist type collection sorter? I'm keeping playsets of commons and uncommon sand it's getting bothersome to go through boxes to check whether I ever picked up that fourth flame cast wheel or whatever. I'd like to just be able to look at a list and hit the check box when I get my fourth copy.

Obviously I could do this with deck box, but actually adding every car into the collection by typing it is more time consuming - I feel like the checklist should exist somewhere online. If it doesn't work, I guess I'm printing one out and doing it analog style.

EDIT: to answer the ongoing discussion, I pre-paid for a box at my LGS because I enjoy wasting money. I'll probably open about half of it to get my fix, then sit on the rest for when I need an extra hit of new card smell or for triple JOU crazy draft with friends.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 2, 2014

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Boxman posted:

What's a good checklist type collection sorter? I'm keeping playsets of commons and uncommon sand it's getting bothersome to go through boxes to check whether I ever picked up that fourth flame cast wheel or whatever. I'd like to just be able to look at a list and hit the check box when I get my fourth copy.

Obviously I could do this with deck box, but actually adding every car into the collection by typing it is more time consuming - I feel like the checklist should exist somewhere online. If it doesn't work, I guess I'm printing one out and doing it analog style.

EDIT: to answer the ongoing discussion, I pre-paid for a box at my LGS because I enjoy wasting money. I'll probably open about half of it to get my fix, then sit on the rest for when I need an extra hit of new card smell or for triple JOU crazy draft with friends.

Some times I like opening a box in a fit of wizard poker lottery playing too. No shame in that game son

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Boxman posted:

TCGPlayer.com has a collection program. You can use it to keep track of your cards in stock AND it nicely keeps the pricing up to date for you as well. Top right corner of TCGPlayer.com click the "Collection" link and off you go.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

OssiansFolly posted:

TCGPlayer.com has a collection program. You can use it to keep track of your cards in stock AND it nicely keeps the pricing up to date for you as well. Top right corner of TCGPlayer.com click the "Collection" link and off you go.

I'm too lazy to look for myself right now, but is there a way to import a massive list of cards on their system? Deckbox is all kinds of hosed up now, and I was mainly just using it to keep track of my inventory and value for insurance purposes, which it's no longer good for without accurate pricing. No way I'm re-entering thousands of cards manually, though....

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm too lazy to look for myself right now, but is there a way to import a massive list of cards on their system? Deckbox is all kinds of hosed up now, and I was mainly just using it to keep track of my inventory and value for insurance purposes, which it's no longer good for without accurate pricing. No way I'm re-entering thousands of cards manually, though....

Sadly no...but you can pick the game and set which then shows you all cards from that set and you can just click the arrows to add or subtract inventory. The good news is that anything you buy from TCG automatically gets added too. If you have your list organized by set you can easily just click through the set list.

Link to Tracker

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 2, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

OssiansFolly posted:

Magic Pad

I...am surprised that it actually turned into a decent looking and interesting floor. Also, if you're decent at painting and the floor already has a coat of resin, then it's not likely that you'll get paint on your floor in some irremovable way.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

OssiansFolly posted:

Sadly no...but you can pick the game and set which then shows you all cards from that set and you can just click the arrows to add or subtract inventory. The good news is that anything you buy from TCG automatically gets added too. If you have your list organized by set you can easily just click through the set list.

Link to Tracker

drat, that's unfortunate. I have a 600 card cube, 9 normal decks, 3 EDH decks, and three trade binders to transfer....something like 2500-2800 cards or thereabouts. I don't have nearly enough patience to do that one card at a time.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Kickstarter: one of those money counting things, except you put magic cards in it and i uses ~*technology*~ to ID them and build a database of cards you own

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Boxman posted:

If you have a Mac, Decked Builder is a pretty good desktop app. Includes price tracking across multiple sources, import from text files in mwdeck format, a "you need to add these cards to your collection to finish this deck" feature, etc.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Loving Life Partner posted:

Kickstarter: one of those money counting things, except you put magic cards in it and i uses ~*technology*~ to ID them and build a database of cards you own

It's a great idea except for the fact that you STILL can't enter that data into tcgplayer :smith:. I already have an inventory, down to set and condition info, tcgplayer just sucks and won't accept mass entry.

Something like that is not actually that hard to create. It would be an interesting side project if I get bored; my specialty in astrophysics was image analysis automation, so this is kind of perfect for me. I just need an engineer to build the physical machine and a comp. sci. guy to get the camera data into my program in the right format, I can't be bothered with figuring that stuff out (the one shortcoming of my education: we use "magic black boxes" a lot, where we don't give a poo poo how any of the instruments work, only about the file that gets pooped out to us to use as an input). Sadly I don't see it being profitable, but I'd make one of these for myself for the hell of it...bonus points if I can teach it to grade the cards, too.

EDIT: Of course you can use a stand-alone inventory program or another website that CAN port in tcgplayer pricing data and doesn't gently caress itself over by trying to compete with tcgplayer itself, which a few people here know I've been working on already, albeit very slowly.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's a great idea except for the fact that you STILL can't enter that data into tcgplayer :smith:. I already have an inventory, down to set and condition info, tcgplayer just sucks and won't accept mass entry.

Something like that is not actually that hard to create. It would be an interesting side project if I get bored; my specialty in astrophysics was image analysis automation, so this is kind of perfect for me. I just need an engineer to build the physical machine and a comp. sci. guy to get the camera data into my program in the right format, I can't be bothered with figuring that stuff out (the one shortcoming of my education: we use "magic black boxes" a lot, where we don't give a poo poo how any of the instruments work, only about the file that gets pooped out to us to use as an input). Sadly I don't see it being profitable, but I'd make one of these for myself for the hell of it...bonus points if I can teach it to grade the cards, too.

EDIT: Of course you can use a stand-alone inventory program or another website that CAN port in tcgplayer pricing data and doesn't gently caress itself over by trying to compete with tcgplayer itself, which a few people here know I've been working on already, albeit very slowly.

Pricing's better on Deckbox now. Not at TCGplayer levels, but a lot closer to right. By the way, I keep meaning to ask you, are you in Evansville, IN?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

drat, that's unfortunate. I have a 600 card cube, 9 normal decks, 3 EDH decks, and three trade binders to transfer....something like 2500-2800 cards or thereabouts. I don't have nearly enough patience to do that one card at a time.
Got any cousins or nephews? You could pay one $10 an hour to put them in for you - you get your cards sorted, they $20-$30, and your sibling/uncle doesn't get bugged for cash for a few days.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

kizudarake posted:

Pricing's better on Deckbox now. Not at TCGplayer levels, but a lot closer to right. By the way, I keep meaning to ask you, are you in Evansville, IN?

Nope, Florida, at least until next Thursday when I'm leaving for Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Jonked posted:

Got any cousins or nephews? You could pay one $10 an hour to put them in for you - you get your cards sorted, they $20-$30, and your sibling/uncle doesn't get bugged for cash for a few days.

That's....actually a pretty good idea, why didn't I think of that :stare:. I don't have any nearby, but I could outsource it to just copy the info from deckbox (and then I don't have to worry about them learning grades and set symbols and things).

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That's....actually a pretty good idea, why didn't I think of that :stare:. I don't have any nearby, but I could outsource it to just copy the info from deckbox (and then I don't have to worry about them learning grades and set symbols and things).

I would do this, except it would cost me several hundred dollars to get my inventory cataloged this way.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Nope, Florida, at least until next Thursday when I'm leaving for Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I input at least 1500 cards in about a week at 2-3 hours a night. And I don't have the organization it sounds like you do so I was searching each card.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Attorney at Funk posted:

Look, just because B/G is the actual, explicit color pairing of rot, compost, and general garbage doesn't mean-
While the blue colors might have cool flavor reasons of research, this card is literally about you sifting through the trash. It has the best flavor imo.

AnacondaHL posted:

Illus. Steve Argyle
That man will find ways t oput boobs on it somehow.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.

OssiansFolly posted:

Magic Pad

It would make me insane forever if I did this and didn't orient the cards all the same way. Oh god, what if you shuffled them up in a random order and had like 5 green cards in a row?? Might as well just pad the walls and lock me in there.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Recess Rapist posted:

It would make me insane forever if I did this and didn't orient the cards all the same way. Oh god, what if you shuffled them up in a random order and had like 5 green cards in a row?? Might as well just pad the walls and lock me in there.

It did appear that the cards orientation wasn't a huge concern to him. In the one photo it looks as though he was just putting them down. I'm retentive and would have to measure the spacing on each and every card to make sure that they are evenly spaced or it would drive me up a wall.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
Is it worth investing in vendilion cliques now? need 3 for a deck, but I'm a bit hesitant at 70 dollars a pop

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mordieth posted:

Is it worth investing in vendilion cliques now? need 3 for a deck, but I'm a bit hesitant at 70 dollars a pop

Speculating isn't my strong suit, but I'll give it a shot.

It's not likely to be reprinted in a standard product for a variety of reasons, and it was just reprinted in MMA, so I'm not sure it's a particularly strong candidate for another supplementary printing. On the other hand, people looked at faeries really hard after bitterblossom was unbanned, and the deck went nowhere. I wouldn't worry about the price shooting up or down anytime soon, but it is likely to continue to creep up as most out of print, playable cards do.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Boxman posted:

Speculating isn't my strong suit, but I'll give it a shot.

It's not likely to be reprinted in a standard product for a variety of reasons, and it was just reprinted in MMA, so I'm not sure it's a particularly strong candidate for another supplementary printing. On the other hand, people looked at faeries really hard after bitterblossom was unbanned, and the deck went nowhere. I wouldn't worry about the price shooting up or down anytime soon, but it is likely to continue to creep up as most out of print, playable cards do.

On that topic, what's keeping Bitterblossom's price so high? Kind of want to brew with it only it's priced like it's the cornerstone of a format staple.

Guess it might drop if it's in the event deck, which I guess will be spoiled in a few weeks?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

On that topic, what's keeping Bitterblossom's price so high? Kind of want to brew with it only it's priced like it's the cornerstone of a format staple.

When it was getting ready to be unbanned, everyone bought in with the expectations that it would be a format staple. Now that's been demonstrated to not be and the demand being much lower, everyone who bought in is basically holding onto it in the hopes that a deck will emerge and they can recoup their losses.

If it is in the event deck those that bought in will be doubly screwed over, which will be funny. Too bad it won't affect MODO at all!

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Baron - have you thought about just dropping twenty bucks to get it done through Amazon mechanical turk? I bet it'd be pretty easy to set that up, and if you're keeping a list for insurance purposes it makes sense to me to spend a little cash for peace of mind.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zorak posted:

When it was getting ready to be unbanned, everyone bought in with the expectations that it would be a format staple. Now that's been demonstrated to not be and the demand being much lower, everyone who bought in is basically holding onto it in the hopes that a deck will emerge and they can recoup their losses.

If it is in the event deck those that bought in will be doubly screwed over, which will be funny. Too bad it won't affect MODO at all!
I will point out that bitterblossom does some serious work in 8 Rack / Pox decks, and theoretically only gets better in Token decks as more support cards are added. I don't blame anyone for holding on to it until M15. If Wasted Not ends up flopping then its probably time to sell.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bitterblossom is the perfect card for my deck to let me turn on my goyf all the way.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Picked up a box and a fat pack of Journey into Nyx today. I got some nice cards. The big ones were 2 Keranos, a foil mana confluence and a foil Athreos. With a full set of battlefield thaumaturges it seems like a red/blue deck is inevitable, especially in a couple weeks when I nab the event deck. I definitely want to do something with b/g and b/w as well. It is fun to be back into the swing of things, even if sorting cards remains a god drat nightmare.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Failboattootoot posted:

Picked up a box and a fat pack of Journey into Nyx today. I got some nice cards. The big ones were 2 Keranos, a foil mana confluence and a foil Athreos. With a full set of battlefield thaumaturges it seems like a red/blue deck is inevitable, especially in a couple weeks when I nab the event deck. I definitely want to do something with b/g and b/w as well. It is fun to be back into the swing of things, even if sorting cards remains a god drat nightmare.

I went to the big box to get a fat pack and they didn't even have them yet. They had a couple of Innistrad packs, so I grabbed a couple. Of course it had a Snapcaster Mage in it.

I did end up getting my fat pack, I can already tell that just like every other set, there's going to be that one janky rare that I just keep piling up copies of. In this case, that card is the dumb Centaur Lord. In BTG, it was Hero of Leina Tower and in Theros it was Artisan of Forms.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
My FLGS did a repeat Journey prerelease tonight, and I took the blue box (white and black were gone by the time I showed up) but ended up running RB with some minotaurs, a bunch of tricks, a little burn, and Agent of the Fates. 4-0, only lost 2 games. First time I've ever 4-0'd anything. I am pleased. (edit: nothing amazing in the prize packs, but 2 Deicides, which is cool.)

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 3, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Uncharted Realms has been trippy these last couple of weeks. Ashiok is creating entities that can only accurately be described as city-god-dreams (which he finds much more amusing than Xenagos just raising himself to godhood) even while the actual gods have to crush them and are freaking out at how the hell this could be happening. Meanwhile, Xenagos was a mind-controlling, murdering bastard literally since he was in the womb. And he killed Sigiled Starfish. :(

In fact, everything would probably make more sense if we swapped Xenagos' and Ashiok's colours.

Xenagos: cruel and mind-controlling - U/B posted:

Raissa looked down at him. He smiled up at her, blinking soot from his wide, bright green eyes. Once again, Raissa's anger toward her son drained away, and love swelled in the space.

She pried from his small hand the charred, oil-soaked tinder he had used to set her bed alight while she napped and tossed it away.

Ashiok: creating, creative, chaotic and impulsive - R/G posted:

The attempt was never going to be successful. But it was beautiful. Beauty mattered a great deal—not Ashiok's most important value, but still something to cherish. Besides, success in this field seemed problematic anyway. Xenagos's apparent fascination with being a deity mystified Ashiok—one of the few things opaque to Ashiok. Xenagos was a Planeswalker. What better opportunity for creation and beauty was there?
How the artist would escape detection from the gods while allowing the created god enough time to survive and grow strong would be difficult. But those were details for some technician in the future to execute. As for the consequences of that day... let Ephara wonder what machinations had led to the display. Let other gods inquire and worry and investigate what it presaged.

Mortals were not the only creatures prone to seeing patterns where none existed.

Ashiok had already moved on to contemplating the next symphony. There were always more wonderful displays to create, here in the fertile world of Theros.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 3, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
It's weird that they're going out of their way to make Xenagos a bad guy who is really bad and does bad things, though I guess being an actual psychopath could explain why the other gods hate him so much.

Except so is Mogis...? I think the story is pretty cool though, but I can't find the Ashiok one.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there some sort of brand standard against pronouns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there some sort of brand standard against pronouns?

If you're referring to Ashiok, Ashiok is Ashiok. There is no "he" or "she", merely Ashiok.

• Locked thread