Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Are you trying to say that Andrew Luck wasn't a highly sought after recruit because that's just plain wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea its a complete loving crapshoot. Tall is the main thing, but it seems to be just be 6-0 or taller.
Short QBs don't even bust at an outrageous rate, they simply don't get a chance. There have been a grand total of four QBs to take a single snap under six feet since 1975: Pat Haden, Doug Flutie, Seneca Wallace, and Russell Wilson. (Sean Payton had a cup of coffee as a scab.) Haden was meh, Flutie was good, Wallace is a replacement-level backup, and Wilson is good-maybe-great. That's not a terrible record for a sample size of four.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yet another anonymous scout:

CAN THE DRAFT GET HERE PLEASE

I read poo poo like this and immediately think "Remember when Christian Ponder, Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert were all drafted in the same year in the top 12???"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I love how we are all pretending that Drew Brees isn't actaully 6 feet tall.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pretending?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I read poo poo like this and immediately think "Remember when Christian Ponder, Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert were all drafted in the same year in the top 12???"

Jake locker could still be somebody.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

No Butt Stuff posted:

Just like Steve Martin in "The Jerk"

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

No Butt Stuff posted:

If the all mighty Tennessee Titans don't want you anymore I'd say your career prospects are limited.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Jake Locker could still be somebody, for instance he could be Jake Locker, bad quarterback.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
He can't could when he is, man.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

What the heck there are people saying Jake Locker isn't garbage and they don't have UW avs

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Here lies Jake Locker
He just needed better weapons

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Elotana posted:

Short QBs don't even bust at an outrageous rate, they simply don't get a chance. There have been a grand total of four QBs to take a single snap under six feet since 1975: Pat Haden, Doug Flutie, Seneca Wallace, and Russell Wilson. (Sean Payton had a cup of coffee as a scab.) Haden was meh, Flutie was good, Wallace is a replacement-level backup, and Wilson is good-maybe-great. That's not a terrible record for a sample size of four.

No argument here just pointing out that the sample size of short successful QBs is too small to draw any conclusions from for whatever reason.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

If the all mighty Tennessee Titans don't want you anymore I'd say your career prospects are limited.

Haven't the Titans been kind of a dumpster fire all around the past couple years? I don't think you can really pin everything on Jake Locker though. He'll could very well go on too being a Shaun Hill type back-up/journeyman.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Tennessee Titans have had such stars as -

in the past few years.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Jake Locker would be an All-Pro if excuses were completions

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
The Jake Locker and Josh Freeman School of Just Needs Another Chance

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Doesn't matter how you get there, chronic injury or chronic not-giving-a-gently caress, but they've got the credit hours you need to keep drawing league minimum.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
History will be rewritten to say that Jake Locker's problem was getting hurt and Josh Freeman's was a mean coach.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Detroit_Dogg posted:

History will be rewritten to say that Jake Locker's problem was getting hurt and Josh Freeman's was a mean coach.

Yeah, Schiano really bailed his legacy out; but TFF will always remember that he sucked pretty every year but one under Raheem Morris.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I heard Sam Bradford is studying there

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Atticus Finch posted:

I want to see Manziel vs the NFC West.

That's not fair. Bradford is the only QB left in the West the Cardinals can actually tackle. Replacing him with Manziel would just be cruel.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

I heard Sam Bradford is studying there

I've been saying this for like two years at this point and it still seems to be a controversial opinion.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's not controversial but you're also still gonna hear it next year when he signs with another team and gets away from Brian Schottenheimer and the No-WR Express.

Bradford's career is why scouts are afraid of saying any QB (especially Bridgewater) is going to be a good starter, because the team will determine everything. If Bradford was drafted by Detroit he would look great, because they've built an entire offense there. The success of these 2014 QBs is going to be entirely location-dependent. Jacksonville, that's not a good team for a QB to go. Cleveland, with their receivers and Kyle Shanahan's rookie-friendly offensive system? That's better.

If St. Louis drafts Manziel, he'll bust. I think that's about as safe as an NFL Draft prediction can be (which is to say, still very low percentage accuracy).

The team that I think will benefit the most from the QB backpedalling? Arizona. If they get one of the top 4 QBs in the 1st round, they have an incumbent starter, they have Michael Floyd and Larry Fitzgerald, they now have Andre Ellington, they have one of the top offensive coordinators.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 2, 2014

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Fun Fact: Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor and Byron Maxwell were all drafted with picks the Seahawks acquired from the Lions.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Atticus Finch posted:

I want to see Manziel vs the NFC West.

Oh my god, I want this a lot. Watching Manziel get levelled by Bowman, Smith, Bennet and Avril 4 times a year would be magical.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
@RapSheet: One factor that may get #Mizzou DL Kony Ealy drafted higher than people think: I hear some teams want to put 15 lbs on him and make him a DT

Interesting.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grozz Nuy posted:

@RapSheet: One factor that may get #Mizzou DL Kony Ealy drafted higher than people think: I hear some teams want to put 15 lbs on him and make him a DT

Interesting.

I could see that, he's already 270, and it seems to have worked for Tank.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 3, 2014

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's interesting to see the attempted shift away from a fat man lineman to a muscular one. Can you imagine an entire line full of Veldheers?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Coldforge posted:

I could see that, he's already 270, and it seems to have worked for Tank.

Let's wait until we see how he looks on the field before we make that kind of declaration. I'm excited to see him play, though.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Let's wait until we see how he looks on the field before we make that kind of declaration. I'm excited to see him play, though.

While you're here, Grozz, how's this scenario strike you:

If the 49ers are unable to trade up for their guy (Watkins, Evans, OBJ) at a favorable price, I don't see anyone that they'd spend their 1 30 on without reaching. They're probably still smarting from the AJ Jenkins reach, and won't think highly of that idea. If the draft falls the way people are predicting, and several QB needy teams take other positions in the first round (thinking to get a QB in the second), the 49ers could shop their pick to one of them for a future 1st. Raiders, Bucs, Vikings?

The other team would then be assured of getting their QB (by jumping the Texans & Jags), added benefit of the 5th year option. The 49ers would then be in a better position next year to replenish their roster, which will likely be depleted by departing free agents (maybe with an eye towards getting Ifo).

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If Verrett is off the board at 30 and they're getting future first offers I would absolutely make that deal.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grozz Nuy posted:

If Verrett is off the board at 30 and they're getting future first offers I would absolutely make that deal.

I'm starting to get a bit :tinfoil: with all the media people predicting they trade up, and it seems like a very Baalke fake out.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Bradford's career is why scouts are afraid of saying any QB (especially Bridgewater) is going to be a good starter, because the team will determine everything.

Really I think Luck might have been the only prospect in the last several years that I've felt this wasn't entirely true about. Luck could have probably ended up at least decent regardless of where he went.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Even Luck though, look at his stats this year. 6.7 YPA, fewer than 4000 yards on 570 passes, that's just bad. And that's not indicative of how good he is because he's very good. But Luck is on a really bad team that is not getting better (especially with Wayne coming off a torn ACL at age bronze and the team's continued insistence on Trent Richardson). Without him they'd be a 4-12 team. If Luck was in Houston instead, holy poo poo. With the defense they have and Andre Johnson and Hopkins. Holy moley.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 3, 2014

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

So I'm starting to wonder in Bridgewater is this years Brian Brohm for TFF. I remember being absolutely in love with Brohm, but it sort of feels like the same poo poo is happening with him where everyone projects him to be dropping a ton, and enough voices are saying it to make me think maybe he isn't the prospect everyone in here is projecting him to be. I definitely understand the concerns about his arm, and I can't help but wonder.

What is everyone's thoughts on Gruden's QB camp. Has it changed anyone's mind on any prospects?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

At least with Brohm you could say "Petrino quarterback", same with Tyler Wilson and Ryan Mallett. Brohm still ended up being a 2nd round pick, of course. And Mallett only fell because of red flags that were alluded to but never outright presented. Bulk and body were not issues for any of those guys, it was that they played in offenses that took the responsibilities out of their hands.

All you needed to see with Mallett was see how he reacted to an aborted play to know the guy had absolutely no improvisational ability in college. The exact opposite of Manziel. Constantly threw to the intended read, the first read, always the first read. I saw in the UConn game, Bridgewater had the patience to wait and go through his read again, go through it again, then throw to the 4th option.

I don't think there's a top QB in this class that throws so rigidly to script as Mallett did. Maybe Mettenberger, in Cameron's offense.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 3, 2014

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Sataere posted:

What is everyone's thoughts on Gruden's QB camp. Has it changed anyone's mind on any prospects?

I remember thinking that RG3 looked really good in his interview with Gruden and Geno Smith looked much worse in comparison, those are the only two I recall watching to the point that they made a substantial impression on me.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
I'm really sad that Emery straight up said he wouldn't draft a QB this year because I think Bridgewater would be a perfect Trestman QB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sataere posted:

So I'm starting to wonder in Bridgewater is this years Brian Brohm for TFF. I remember being absolutely in love with Brohm, but it sort of feels like the same poo poo is happening with him where everyone projects him to be dropping a ton, and enough voices are saying it to make me think maybe he isn't the prospect everyone in here is projecting him to be. I definitely understand the concerns about his arm, and I can't help but wonder.

If Bridgewater falls, I'm pretty sure it'll be because of how he interviews or some type of character concern that we aren't aware of. His pro day was bad, but he can make those throws in game. If he got rattled easily in college, I'd be worried that maybe he could get knocked out of his rhythm, and start throwing like he did in his pro day, but if he's ever been rattled, I haven't seen it. All his strengths are doing all of the things at the line of scrimmage and in the pocket that you can do to make the throw itself easy as can be, and that's exactly what you see in all the best QB's in the game today. That's how they keep playing until their mid to late 30's even as their arm starts to fall off. He's still the safest QB pick in the draft to me.

• Locked thread