Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I don't really get all the hate for Harvest valley and earthen peak. When I first saw that giant windmill tower I was just like "woah"

It looks like something out of a Beksinski painting or something. Its awesome.

I think I was just tired of all the brown at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

At least it's not dark like 5-2, I guess. They are getting better at making the world 5 retreads less awful as time goes on, but the Gutter lacks the atmosphere of 5-1 or even Blighttown.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Sunbroing gets you so very many souls :pwn:

I've been guiding people round the poison windmill for a few hours now, it's weirdly gratifying when you get someone to burn that sucker with gestures and imitation.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I don't really get all the hate for Harvest valley and earthen peak. When I first saw that giant windmill tower I was just like "woah"

Harvest Valley is actually one of my favorite levels to farm, for some reason I can't really put my finger on.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about this game, but was wondering if it was something I'd enjoy, or just get frustrated with. I don't have too much time for games these days and can get easily frustrated/annoyed with games that are just difficult for difficulties sake. I never played the first one. What are the good things about this game that keep it from getting annoying? I watched one largely negative review video that mentioned over and over how the player is basically mobbed for no reason and put into situations that are so overly difficult it can get not so fun. It also mentioned that fighting multiple bad guys at once goes against the first game's play style and just becomes frustrating, since you can only target/strafe one enemy at a time and it just all becomes an arduous process of dodge, hit, wait, dodge, hit, repeat ad infinitum.

As well, it mentioned a lot of the bosses are now so similar there's nothing that really stands out.

Basically, would spending $50 on this just net me with something I'd end up not playing? I'd really like a great game to play right now, as I just got done with school and have a month off.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

To be honest my overall impression of Drangleic Castle was "oh, that was a lot shorter and more linear than it looked"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blind Rasputin posted:

I've been hearing a lot of good things about this game, but was wondering if it was something I'd enjoy, or just get frustrated with. I don't have too much time for games these days and can get easily frustrated/annoyed with games that are just difficult for difficulties sake. I never played the first one. What are the good things about this game that keep it from getting annoying? I watched one largely negative review video that mentioned over and over how the player is basically mobbed for no reason and put into situations that are so overly difficult it can get not so fun. It also mentioned that fighting multiple bad guys at once goes against the first game's play style and just becomes frustrating, since you can only target/strafe one enemy at a time and it just all becomes an arduous process of dodge, hit, wait, dodge, hit, repeat ad infinitum.

As well, it mentioned a lot of the bosses are now so similar there's nothing that really stands out.

Basically, would spending $50 on this just net me with something I'd end up not playing? I'd really like a great game to play right now, as I just got done with school and have a month off.

Most of those complaints sound like they came from a big whiny baby. If you're a big whiny baby too then you won't like the game. If not, then you'll probably enjoy because it's great.

Dark Souls 2 is a difficult game (by modern standards) to be sure, but it's not unfair. After my first completed play through (which is a LOT of content) I only felt like there were one or two places where I was killed because of unfairness rather than because I could have done better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

You can see every ambush coming if you actually pay attention, and even if you aren't there's always a message to warn you about it. That review seems like a terrible misrepresentation of what problems the game actually has. The game just expects you to think before you act, and if you don't it punishes you. I wouldn't say it's difficult for difficulty's sake, and it's probably the easiest game in the series. Generally speaking if you die it's completely your fault.

That being said if you can only play every now and again you'll likely get lost a lot because it doesn't hold your hand and tell you where to go and the game might seem more difficult with long breaks between sessions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Asehujiko posted:

The one from Sinner's Rise and the one from Iron Keep.
I'd recommend the Pit first, then. It's the substantially easier one. Brightstone Tseldara is long, tedious and filled with rear end in a top hat casters, while you can get through the Gutter and the Gulch in a few minutes and get a bonfire literally in front of the boss door to boot.

Blind Rasputin posted:

A lot of those criticisms are pretty accurate and unless you actively enjoy playing the same section of the game multiple times with different approaches it probably isn't for you. A lot of the game is actually really easy, but when you get to one of the hard spots it can be a real roadblock. DS1 has basically the same gameplay with a somewhat smoother difficulty curve, so if you just want to try the series out I'd recommend getting that on the cheap first. It's often on sale on Steam these days.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 2, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just went through dragonrider and the chariot on a brand new character to become the lowest soul memory bloodbro. 32K SM and I'm already in the covenant. :getin:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is there a trick to getting the item in the iron chest at the end of the really, really long pathway in the room where you can drop out the floors under people? Even wearing the smelter demon armor, smashing the water jars up above, hitting myself with flash sweat, and eating an orange burr has me getting cooked long before I can open it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd recommend the Pit first, then. It's the substantially easier one. Brightstone Tseldara is long, tedious and filled with rear end in a top hat casters, while you can get through the Gutter and the Gulch in a few minutes and get a bonfire literally in front of the boss door to boot.

I found The Gutter to be pretty long and tedious too, just for different reasons.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Cowcaster posted:

Is there a trick to getting the item in the iron chest at the end of the really, really long pathway in the room where you can drop out the floors under people? Even wearing the smelter demon armor, smashing the water jars up above, hitting myself with flash sweat, and eating an orange burr has me getting cooked long before I can open it.

The burr is what kills you. It drops the buff from flash sweat!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kimmalah posted:

I found The Gutter to be pretty long and tedious too, just for different reasons.
It was less of a slog to me, if only because there are barely any enemies and the path is pretty linear. I still kinda regularly get lost in Tseldara and those sorcerers are giant dickwads.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

You might also consider using the ring that reduces fall damage, using a lifegem, and jumping down from the place with the water jars.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just got summoned to a ratbro's domain in the doors of pharros and died to a dog I couldn't hurt with my weapons. It toxic'd me. Is that supposed to happen? Do they actually get invulnerable support?

e: Oh they're in the regular area too, but weak to magic. I didn't even know toxic was still in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I just got summoned to a ratbro's domain in the doors of pharros and died to a dog I couldn't hurt with my weapons. It toxic'd me. Is that supposed to happen? Do they actually get invulnerable support?

e: Oh they're in the regular area too, but weak to magic. I didn't even know toxic was still in the game.

Yeah those rats are the only source of toxic in the entire game. That ratbro probably used bonfire ascetics to make his world ng+8 and make it almost impossible for you to win.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

It was less of a slog to me, if only because there are barely any enemies and the path is pretty linear. I still kinda regularly get lost in Tseldara and those sorcerers are giant dickwads.

I really wouldn't call it "linear" though, considering you're constantly having to climb ladders or find holes in walls/floors to get anywhere. Plus you'll spend most of your time lighting torches and torch sconces or casting light spells in order to even get your bearings.

I got a little lost in Brightstone at first too, but not nearly to the frustrating extent that I did in the Gutter.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Blind Rasputin posted:

...can get easily frustrated/annoyed with games that are just difficult for difficulties sake. I never played the first one.

My first Souls game, like most people, was Dark Souls. When I expressed frustration with some friends who had played Demon's Souls, they didn't really understand my frustrations. I was very used to games leading you through a long intro sequence or tutorial with clear objectives before sending you out into the wild. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 have very, VERY little in terms of giving you a direction or objective.

The lack of what some may call 'modernization' in Dark Souls was its hardest and most frustrating barrier for me to overcome. Once you do, though, it feels very fresh and new in comparison to what you may have been playing up to this point. If you're a bit older, the best way I have been putting it is, "This game feels like video games." It's a very gamey game that makes me excited about games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

I really wouldn't call it "linear" though, considering you're constantly having to climb ladders or find holes in walls/floors to get anywhere. Plus you'll spend most of your time lighting torches and torch sconces or casting light spells in order to even get your bearings.

I got a little lost in Brightstone at first too, but not nearly to the frustrating extent that I did in the Gutter.
I guess we really experienced that differently, then. I pretty much stumbled right through the Gutter without even really trying, it just always turned out that there was really only one direction to go to progress. Having a few fireflies in a bottle definitely helped, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah those rats are the only source of toxic in the entire game. That ratbro probably used bonfire ascetics to make his world ng+8 and make it almost impossible for you to win.

It's also pretty hard to win when the game won't let me take my pyromancy flame off midcombat. Unluckily for me I had sorceries equipped! No big deal though, since I'm only a phantom over there.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I guess we really experienced that differently, then. I pretty much stumbled right through the Gutter without even really trying, it just always turned out that there was really only one direction to go to progress. Having a few fireflies in a bottle definitely helped, though.

To me it was just maddening because I could constantly see where I wanted to go, but had to spend a ton of time hunting for the right ladder, bridge or hole in the wall that would get me there. Brightstone actually becomes pretty connected once you start opening doors and the mages aren't a big problem if you have decent ranged attacks.

The spider thing did get a bit old though.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I've noticed the people who invade me have gotten really hard to even damage now. I have lost 50K+ souls many times, does this mean my soul memory is increasing even though I'm not spending the souls? Is this just matching me with people who may have actually gotten the benefit from more than half their souls?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Leadthumb posted:

I've noticed the people who invade me have gotten really hard to even damage now. I have lost 50K+ souls many times, does this mean my soul memory is increasing even though I'm not spending the souls? Is this just matching me with people who may have actually gotten the benefit from more than half their souls?

Yeah your soul memory stays even if you lose a whole bunch of souls. :downs: Goddammit, FROM.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Leadthumb posted:

I believe your soul memory doesn't care whether you lose the souls, just whether you had them in the first place.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are the rat authority's attacks supposed to hit far beyond his limbs? Because that's pretty bullshit that I can't dodge them due to it and can guard against only a single attack. And he attacks faster than any spell I can cast.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Are the rat authority's attacks supposed to hit far beyond his limbs? Because that's pretty bullshit.

Stand under him. He literally cannot hit you from there, it's actually impossible.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Leadthumb posted:

Soul Memory is "every single soul this character has ever acquired". It doesn't matter if you've used them, lost them, or are currently holding them. You can see your Soul Memory on the character sheet.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

zfleeman posted:

My first Souls game, like most people, was Dark Souls...

I feel like the mechanics of Demon's Souls were are a lot more refined, there's so many different mechanics in Dark Souls that it gets in the way of the gameplay. EG. Why do we need sorcery and pyromancy, and now hexes as well? I feel like having the choice of worlds in DeS was better as well, and I thought they were going to do it in this one too, but you can't even really go anywhere other than one particular path most of the time due to the difficulty.

Question, how limited is the supply of Pharros' gate keys? Do I have to worry about which doors I open?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Okay, I will just make a new character after I beat the game then. I just found out they changed it from the way matchmaking worked in the previous game, there's now way I'm going into NG+ like this. Thanks for the tip!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I liked its design visually, I just thought actually playing through it was annoying. Honestly one of my favorite areas in the entire game in terms of visuals is Black Gulch: the pitch black cave combined with all of the eerie green eyed statues haphazardly dotting the landscape all the way to the depths was really loving cool. Having said that, the actual mechanics of the place can gently caress right off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Stand under him. He literally cannot hit you from there, it's actually impossible.

Oh. Well that makes it easier. So did GRS. :downs:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Are the rat authority's attacks supposed to hit far beyond his limbs? Because that's pretty bullshit that I can't dodge them due to it and can guard against only a single attack. And he attacks faster than any spell I can cast.
Yeah, a lot of enemy attack hitboxes are pretty poo poo and extend way beyond what their attacks can actually visibly reach. It sucks, but there isn't much you can do except slog it out.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Not sure if this is old news or not and DON'T KNOW IF FAKE SORRY.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 2, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh. Well that makes it easier. So did GRS. :downs:

I just stood directly under his belly and cast Firestorm. He's really vulnerable to pyromancy so it only took two casts.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Praseodymi posted:

Question, how limited is the supply of Pharros' gate keys? Do I have to worry about which doors I open?

Ratbros have a pharros key every time they win. Just join up then sit in Doors of Pharros for a bit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Artificer posted:

Yeah your soul memory stays even if you lose a whole bunch of souls. :downs: Goddammit, FROM.

If it was only spent and not collected it would defeat the entire loving point. :downs: Goddamnit, ARTIFICER.

The whole point is there was a problem in DS1 where SL1 players who have been through the whole game can go invade newbies who literally just left the asylum and dominate them completely.

In DS2, this isn't possible because of soul memory. Even avoiding getting as many souls as you can (like that guy who just posted he's a bloodbro at only 32K SM) you still have to get several because of bosses, etc. so it works.

They could do a time system, but then players who went AFK for too long would be penalized. (Not that you should go AFK in dark souls anyways :haw:)

As much as I hate to say it, just git gud, scrub.

Praseodymi posted:

Why do we need sorcery and pyromancy, and now hexes as well?

Your opinion is bad. :colbert: Having more types of magic doesn't diminish the existing gameplay in any way, it just opens up the door to more builds, more variety, and more replay. I don't get it. :v: They each scale different too, so you can't say they're superfluous. Each requires a different build, except Pyro and Dark, but there's still key differences which allow all kinds of different hybrids.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 2, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

NullDragon posted:

Ratbros have a pharros key every time they win. Just join up then sit in Doors of Pharros for a bit.

You also get one if you beat a Ratbro, too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Not sure if this is old news or not and DON'T KNOW IF FAKE SORRY.

Keep in mind that this is supposedly PS4 exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

zfleeman posted:

If you're a bit older, the best way I have been putting it is, "This game feels like video games." It's a very gamey game that makes me excited about games.

This actually gets me quite interested. I've heard some say it is best on the PC. Do most of you use the keyboard and mouse? If it works well with the keyboard and mouse I'll pick it up.