Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Farecoal posted:

Bosnia had been under Austrian military administration since 1878, although it wasn't officially annexed until 1908. I should mention that the "United States of Austria" plan was thought up by Archduke Ferdinand.

Look this idea that what Balkans needed are cleanly delineated nation states of all the different ethnicities is incredibly delusional. First of all, it's really hard to even determine what the ethnicities are. Southern Slavic ethnicities are mostly based on small linguistic differences and there is a ridiculous number of edge cases because all southern Slavic languages are on a dialect continuum. Secondly, before the cleansing, assimilation, and displacement of the last century there were literally no clean lines you could draw. Since the borders have always been amorphous and shifted between this empire or that people just lived wherever, instead of a uniform beige on that map the southern Slavic region should be a Pollock painting.

E: Before you bring up religion I wanna say that the correlation Serb=Orthodox / Croat=Catholic was not all that strict back then. Also it creates even more edge cases.

The only thing that even had a chance of working is some kind of state in which they could live together. Italy and Germany only unified in the late 19th century; the cultural/linguistic differences between their regions are far greater than the ones within Yugoslavia and they actually do have a history of intense warfare between them.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

skipThings posted:

For a German Revanchist such as yourself, yes

Austrian revanchist AFAIK. There are very few people who are thick-skulled enough to get through the german guilt-indoctrinational education system unscathed AND have the mental capacity for a second language.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

goethe42 posted:

Austrian revanchist AFAIK. There are very few people who are thick-skulled enough to get through the german guilt-indoctrinational education system unscathed AND have the mental capacity for a second language.

Does Austria have that, though? I remember someone on SA saying once that "Austrians got the completely unasked for and completely undeserved favour of being treated as Hitler's first victim instead of as his first collaborator".

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SaltyJesus posted:

Look this idea that what Balkans needed are cleanly delineated nation states of all the different ethnicities is incredibly delusional. First of all, it's really hard to even determine what the ethnicities are. Southern Slavic ethnicities are mostly based on small linguistic differences and there is a ridiculous number of edge cases because all southern Slavic languages are on a dialect continuum. Secondly, before the cleansing, assimilation, and displacement of the last century there were literally no clean lines you could draw. Since the borders have always been amorphous and shifted between this empire or that people just lived wherever, instead of a uniform beige on that map the southern Slavic region should be a Pollock painting.

The only thing that even had a chance of working is some kind of state in which they could live together. Italy and Germany only unified in the late 19th century; the cultural/linguistic differences between their regions are far greater than the ones within Yugoslavia and they actually do have a history of intense warfare between them.

Um, I agree with you though? I was just correcting you saying that Bosnia was not yet part of the Austrian empire.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Does Austria have that, though? I remember someone on SA saying once that "Austrians got the completely unasked for and completely undeserved favour of being treated as Hitler's first victim instead of as his first collaborator".

Austrians are quick to remind us that Mozart was austrian, but Hitler? Hitler was german.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Boiled Water posted:

Austrians are quick to remind us that Mozart was austrian, but Hitler? Hitler was german.

"The greatest trick the Austrians ever played was convincing the world that Hitler was German."

--some guy probably

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Farecoal posted:

Um, I agree with you though? I was just correcting you saying that Bosnia was not yet part of the Austrian empire.

Yeah, but it was their weird unrecognized vassal-state, not an integral part of the empire. (Like Croatia which has been in a personal union with Hungary since like the 12th century.) It wasn't the most stable annexation either. Only Bosnian Croats were happy with it and even then only initially, nobody else in Bosnia wanted it. The Muslims were pissed they were ruled by Christians now and the Serbs wanted to unite with Serbia.

E: I guess what I'm saying is it would've probably ended up being administrated directly for a while. Not a state in its own right or part of the Croatian state.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 2, 2014

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

goethe42 posted:

drat, lots of whiny German rightwingers around today, maybe Germans should have been better at their pompous World Dopmination ambitions like the English and French so the whiny grandchildren of Wehrmacht soldiers could mope around in the German version of the EDL ( like Pro Köln ) without being hassled by the education system too much :qq:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

esquilax posted:

Then use China/Tibet as an example. It's likely that President Xi allowing Tibet to secede would be politically unacceptable for him, and that they would "have no choice but to invade". It still doesn't mean that their leaders don't have agency over the situation, and it doesn't mean that we should shrug our shoulders and say "well, they had to do it." Our understanding of our own civil war would inform our national discussions about this hypothetical. Lincoln and the north made a conscious decision to maintain the Union (PS this was a good thing), and were not simply dragged into a war by the seceded south with no ability to peace out.

vvv Sorry I think there's more to historical analysis than "these are the good guys, these are the bad guys"
To reiterate this point, just look at the collapse of the Soviet Union. Despite all the nationalist pressure and financial problems, it was far from inevitable that the Soviet Union would just fall apart. For one, the party was still in the position to run tanks over protesters. It took agency at the highest level (by Gorbachev, Yeltsin and everybody else involved) for the moral option to be chosen.

Circumstances can be pressing, but most people, not least people in power, still have a choice to make. I don't think it's a pedantic distinction -- history has a wealth of people who defied the "inevitable" decision and made things far worse than they needed to be.

As mentioned, it also enables contemporary leaders to use the same excuse: that they have no choice but to act.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

esquilax posted:

vvv Sorry I think there's more to historical analysis than "these are the good guys, these are the bad guys"
There is. It's just that your version of historical analysis seems to be some semantic bullshit about no one being LITERALLY forced to do something, when it's perfectly obvious that people mean something like "one side is responsible for like 99% of the push towards conflict, and the actions of Lincoln/the Allies were both morally correct and an absolutely predictable consequence of the decisions of the Confederates/the Nazis." This is not the same as absolving any leader who claims a conflict was inevitable however, it is a view based in an understanding of the specific topic being discussed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

My point isn't that Lincoln could not have chosen to let the South go. My point is that Lincoln would not have chosen to let the South go. That he would not have made that choice doesn't rob him of agency, it just speaks to what he happened to believe. It's the Gay Black Hitler argument from the MilHist thread.

esquilax posted:

I don't know if history really has good guys, but holy poo poo does it ever have bad guys.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This is a map of world administrative divisions last updated late 2013.

Cool how the scale is so different by country. Here's the legend:

Also, it would sure be cool if the lower tiers were edited to fainter colors to make this map easier to use.

e: In some places, like Russia, the blue divisions aren't necessarily important ones, just broad groupings.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 2, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh god why is that not a .svg?

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

skipThings posted:

drat, lots of whiny German rightwingers around today, maybe Germans should have been better at their pompous World Dopmination ambitions like the English and French so the whiny grandchildren of Wehrmacht soldiers could mope around in the German version of the EDL ( like Pro Köln ) without being hassled by the education system too much :qq:

I‘m sorry, I‘m mobile posting, so I tried to keep it short. Didn't work, so I'll spell it out for you:
1. Riso is Austrian (which you know, judging from your past posts in D&D)
2. An average german student enjoys about 6 to 8 weeks of education per schoolyear related to the holocaust/3rd Reich, in basically every class, except for maybe maths, physics and sports, unless the teacher can find a link somewhere even for those.
3. Those few that are thick-skulled/dumb enough to not even be impressed by this effort (i.e. revanchists) usually also lack the intelligence to master a second language, which would enable them to post on Something Awful.
4. Austrians, like Riso, are to my knowledge not educated in this way, because Austria views itself as Hitlers first victim instead of a more than willing participant.
5. Revanchists believe that their country was treated unfairly in the past. German children are thoroughly taught that this is not the case for Germany and only the dumb ones don't get it (and may grow up to be revanchists). Austrians are not educated in the same way and may come to the notion that retribution is warranted for Austria, even if they are intelligent enough to hold their own in an english language political discussion forum.
6.It's loving annoying that the good things Austria and Germany share, like Beethoven and Mozart, are seen as austrian, while the bad things (starting two world wars) are seen as german.

Regarding the "right-wingers" in this thread, the only one spouting nationalistic prejudice about other people(s) (germans) is you.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Also, it would sure be cool if the lower tiers were edited to fainter colors to make this map easier to use.

e: In some places, like Russia, the blue divisions aren't necessarily important ones, just broad groupings.

I love the great, gaping hole of nothingness in the middle of Australia.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
There's a much bigger version of the map over here.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Austria (and Bavaria) are widely known as the right wing backwaters of Germany. And Switzerland is even worse, but they're basically mountain hermits who speak unintelligible moon language and never interact with the outside world.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

A political map because words bore lurkers. Very interesting to me because it is doesn't follow the usual red/blue divide.

PittTheElder posted:

My point isn't that Lincoln could not have chosen to let the South go. My point is that Lincoln would not have chosen to let the South go. That he would not have made that choice doesn't rob him of agency, it just speaks to what he happened to believe. It's the Gay Black Hitler argument from the MilHist thread.
I agree that Lincoln would never have chosen to let the South go, in the same way that Bush and Congress would never have chosen to leave Afghanistan alone after 9/11. I mostly view those as tautologies. As long as we recognize that wars are subject to choices, and that people's actions actually matter in history, and that we can morally judge people based on their actions, I think we're in agreement.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There is. It's just that your version of historical analysis seems to be some semantic bullshit about no one being LITERALLY forced to do something, when it's perfectly obvious that people mean something like "one side is responsible for like 99% of the push towards conflict, and the actions of Lincoln/the Allies were both morally correct and an absolutely predictable consequence of the decisions of the Confederates/the Nazis." This is not the same as absolving any leader who claims a conflict was inevitable however, it is a view based in an understanding of the specific topic being discussed.

To bring it back to the initial cause of the derail, saying the south started the war before Lincoln came into office implies that he had no role in starting it, and that his (morally correct) actions did not matter in starting the war. I think he deserves the credit for acting to save the union, and saying it began before he came into office robs him of that. I feel a characterization that Lincoln was an actor in starting the civil war (as opposed to a passive observer or inheritor) is more generous to his legacy, more true to fact, and is a more useful/more appropriate lens to view other secession crises. I feel Lincoln's role in starting the war is mostly downplayed due to fear of supporting "War of Northern Aggression" ideas, and that the distinction between Lincoln as a proactive member in starting and continuing the war and Lincoln as a reactive inheritor of the war is not semantic or pedantic. We are doing him and ourselves a disservice when we describe his actions as "consequences" instead of "choices".

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

esquilax posted:

A political map because words bore lurkers. Very interesting to me because it is doesn't follow the usual red/blue divide.

oh god, ohio's growing

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

Can someone explain to me why Lousiana voted for Lincoln when it was part of the Confederacy?

That's what I said though. How many cities in the US have a population of 1,000,000 or more? New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, and Dallas have populations of over one million. Are you going to argue that outside of LA and New York, none of those other areas matter as far as the US people go? Chicago, Philly, and Dallas have huge impacts on national culture and the US economy. Not as much as New York City or LA, but to write them off as "Here be dragons" is really inaccurate. I also never argued that regionalism in the US didn't exist, and in fact I argued the exact opposite.

Edit: I'd even put Atlanta in that list for the impact the Atlanta music scene has had on the rest of the country, not to mention other impacts like Coca-Cola. We revolutionized rap and hip-hop and have produced some of the most influential artists in the last 10-15 years.

Atlanta: lol

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Peanut President posted:

"The greatest trick the Austrians ever played was convincing the world that Hitler was German."

--some guy probably

It's like how Andy Murray's nationality changes based on whether he's winning or losing.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Austria (and Bavaria) are widely known as the right wing backwaters of Germany.

This is patently false. As an American having spent a year in Austria (mostly Vienna, but a lot of my friends hailed from Upper Austria and Salzburg), I can assure you that HC Strache is derisively referred to as "Little Hitler" among most university-age kids. Protesting is a national pastime. I once met a dude at a bar who hailed from Branau am Inn, and when I asked where that was, he said with a very sullen expression that it was where Hitler was from. All the Austrians I met seemed to be in the "guilt-inducing education" camp.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

esquilax posted:

One of the interesting things about this is that except for Florida and Texas, these bans were citizen's ballot initiatives. IIRC, Florida's was an executive order. For all the red meat race baiting that state legislatures are prone to doing, college admissions are still a third rail somehow

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

esquilax posted:

I agree that Lincoln would never have chosen to let the South go, in the same way that Bush and Congress would never have chosen to leave Afghanistan alone after 9/11. I mostly view those as tautologies. As long as we recognize that wars are subject to choices, and that people's actions actually matter in history, and that we can morally judge people based on their actions, I think we're in agreement.

To bring it back to the initial cause of the derail, saying the south started the war before Lincoln came into office implies that he had no role in starting it, and that his (morally correct) actions did not matter in starting the war. I think he deserves the credit for acting to save the union, and saying it began before he came into office robs him of that. I feel a characterization that Lincoln was an actor in starting the civil war (as opposed to a passive observer or inheritor) is more generous to his legacy, more true to fact, and is a more useful/more appropriate lens to view other secession crises. I feel Lincoln's role in starting the war is mostly downplayed due to fear of supporting "War of Northern Aggression" ideas, and that the distinction between Lincoln as a proactive member in starting and continuing the war and Lincoln as a reactive inheritor of the war is not semantic or pedantic. We are doing him and ourselves a disservice when we describe his actions as "consequences" instead of "choices".

But would any president, in 1861, have allowed half the country to secede? I agree, Lincoln did have to choose an action that resulted in war, but unlike things like the war in Afghanistan or Iraq or anywhere else, any president would likely have responded to southern secession similarly. For that reason I have a very hard time blaming Lincoln, personally, for starting the war, because he had no control over the secession.

Anyway, in related Civil War discussion, people have a hard time wrapping their minds around the idea that the war was fought on the Confederate side to preserve slavery, but was not fought on the Union side to end slavery. Neo-confederates will like to say and to cite quotes showing that the goal of the North was to preserve the Union rather than to end slavery, therefore the war can't have been about slavery. But the one conclusion does not follow the other, and to come to it you have to completely ignore the South's actions and motivations at the start of the war.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 3, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ofaloaf posted:

oh god, ohio's growing
Is this... Greater Ohio?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Well, certainly by a year in, abolition was a serious motive if for no other reason than to utterly break the back of the Southern elite as a retribution for secession and the bloodiness of the war. You don't have to be William Lloyd Garrison to sympathize with the ideals of the Emancipation Proclamation if your little Johnny has just come home legless from Antietam: what better way to strike at Jeff Davis and the band of rich, cotton-growing traitors who seceded and caused the war to begin with than by destroying the planter elite's livelihood? Freeing the slaves as a retaliatory/punitive measure was explicitly the war aim from 1862 onwards, well before general abolition of slavery nationwide was embraced.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sucrose posted:

But would any president, in 1861, have allowed half the country to secede?

Buchanan. :v:

synftw
Jun 14, 2007
Chaos-Gnostic Satanist

Ofaloaf posted:

oh god, ohio's growing

If state population mattered in national politics Ohio would be way less relevant in the first place.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

synftw posted:

If state population mattered in national politics Ohio would be way less relevant in the first place.

Less relevant, yes; still very relevant, considering it's the 7th most populous state.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Patter Song posted:

Well, certainly by a year in, abolition was a serious motive if for no other reason than to utterly break the back of the Southern elite as a retribution for secession and the bloodiness of the war. You don't have to be William Lloyd Garrison to sympathize with the ideals of the Emancipation Proclamation if your little Johnny has just come home legless from Antietam: what better way to strike at Jeff Davis and the band of rich, cotton-growing traitors who seceded and caused the war to begin with than by destroying the planter elite's livelihood? Freeing the slaves as a retaliatory/punitive measure was explicitly the war aim from 1862 onwards, well before general abolition of slavery nationwide was embraced.
There was also the minor, yet still important, factor of foreign opinion and especially British opinion. The timing of the Emancipation Proclamation pretty much meant that, from the British view, intervention in favour of the South was out of the question, because the Empire couldn't be seen to be siding with a pro-slavery government over one that had proclaimed anti-slavery aims.

The Emancipation Proclamation was really an entirely political move. It had no actual effect other than the political aims that it attempted to achieve. Strikingly and in order not to lose support within the slave-owning border states, the Emancipation Proclamation did not take effect in those states (I think mostly Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri and Kansas), but as you said, was intended as a punitive measure that would only take effect within states that were still in rebel hands.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This is patently false. As an American having spent a year in Austria (mostly Vienna, but a lot of my friends hailed from Upper Austria and Salzburg), I can assure you that HC Strache is derisively referred to as "Little Hitler" among most university-age kids. Protesting is a national pastime. I once met a dude at a bar who hailed from Branau am Inn, and when I asked where that was, he said with a very sullen expression that it was where Hitler was from. All the Austrians I met seemed to be in the "guilt-inducing education" camp.

I'll counter your anecdote and say AARB, All Austrians are Bastards.

Youth movements in Europe are very different from youth movements in America. I applaud that, they tend to be much more radically left-wing. Based on my own anecdotal experience, that is because if they get hurt during a protest they can get medical care and have it be a "jugendsuende" as opposed to a crippling debt or bankruptcy that they carry with them their entire life.

But when it comes to places like Austria, let's not pit anecdote vs. anecdote. It's a great rhetorical strategy but let's look at Haider. I applaud Austria saying "Go gently caress yourself!" to BZOe. But SPOe is the same sort of shitshow that SPD is. "Youth rebellion" is much more prominent in Europe, I'll agree. Because they get to be. They still grow up to be NIMBY fuckers. Not as bad as Americas, sure. Anecdotally, the German educational system is racist as gently caress and has absurdly obvious structural problems. It also really respects blue collar workers. Every American I knew living in Germany from a blue collar background really, really noticed that difference.

But to me, that is all the more reason to loving hate the CD(S)U. Those fuckers aren't as bad as Republicans but if they all got killed tomorrow I'd be 100% OK with that.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Farecoal posted:

Bosnia had been under Austrian military administration since 1878, although it wasn't officially annexed until 1908. I should mention that the "United States of Austria" plan was thought up by Archduke Ferdinand.

They didn't draw Scandinavia right!!! :bahgawd:

Funny thing, Bosnia is STILL ruled by an Austrian dictator. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Representative_for_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina

Also what really annoys me about the watch is that it was made for left-handed people.

quote:

the Emancipation Proclamation did not take effect in those states (I think mostly Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri and Kansas), but as you said, was intended as a punitive measure that would only take effect within states that were still in rebel hands.

It went only in effect in areas "under rebellion" or something like that, so slave holding states like Maryland and the ones you mentioned were not affected. If there hadn't been the constitutional amendment it would have caused quite a problem because Lincoln actually had no legal right or powers to free any slaves.

quote:

I applaud Austria saying "Go gently caress yourself!" to BZOe.

Only crumbled after their #1 guy died. Not that it mattered there's a replacement.

quote:

It also really respects blue collar workers.

A blue collar education is what we refer to as "learned something smart".

quote:

But to me, that is all the more reason to loving hate the CD(S)U. Those fuckers aren't as bad as Republicans but if they all got killed tomorrow I'd be 100% OK with that.

So much for the famed liberal tolerance.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Shbobdb posted:

Anecdotally, the German educational system is racist as gently caress and has absurdly obvious structural problems.

Care to expand on this?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Riso posted:

Also what really annoys me about the watch is that it was made for left-handed people.

Wristwatch chat.

It looks to me that if you flip the watch over the screw would be on the right, for easy access when wearing on the left arm, which is what right handed people should be doing.
Unless the map is upside down on the back I do not understand why you have any objections.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Adequate posted:

Outside of Newport and downtown Providence, yes.

I'm kinda late here, but :wtc:

Rhode Island outside of Newport and Providence consists of forests, coastline, and small towns. Rhode Islanders, your state is pretty cool, why do you hate yourselves? Go eat some clams and chill out.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Goddamn, America hates secessionists. They hate and despise those people. In fact --

Oh, wait.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

What's the deal with this? Never heard of it before.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SaltyJesus posted:

Care to expand on this?

It is not really racist as gently caress, but Germany has one of the highest correlations between education and wealth of the parents and success in school for their children in the developed world. It doesn't matter if you are a poor German or immigrant, you will likely have a bad education. Of course this screws over immigrants as well in many cases, since they tend to be poorer than the average German. If this is racist is also a matter of definition, since the vast majority of immigrants to Germany are whites as well.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Disco Infiva posted:

What's the deal with this? Never heard of it before.
I wanted to use a breakaway state that the US supported and annexed, but I didn't want to use Texas because it is trite.

All other info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_West_Florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well it's not like the Civil War indicates that U.S. hates secessionists. If that war would have happened in pretty much any other country in the world there would be a lot less white Southerners around these days. Seriously, compared to the conclusion of some European/Asian/African civil wars the losing side got of really really really easy. And there was basically no major atrocities against the civilian population/mass executions after the war was over which is really really really rare civil war-wise.