Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder if they're ever going to start making team-up films. Not quite Avengers, but maybe like, Iron Man and Hulk, Science Pals, or Captain America and Thor at the Beach (rated R for steamy ab action).

Black Widow! Iceman! uhm Angel. Ghostrider. Hercules. D..uh...Darkstar?

Champions: Summer 2017. For some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DFu4ever posted:

Yeah, one of the most annoying things about this movie is the fact that apparently New Yorkers in this universe are complete idiots. Bullets are flying, lightning is blowing poo poo up, missiles everywhere...let's stand behind this tiny barricade and watch this poo poo like it's ESPN.

Emma Stone was on The Tonight Show telling a story about how during the filming of a scene where cars were blowing up, people were just walking by casually. They had to pay extras so that people in the background could be seen reacting to what was going on.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Black Widow! Iceman! uhm Angel. Ghostrider. Hercules. D..uh...Darkstar?

Champions: Summer 2017. For some reason.

Iceman and Angel replaced by Loki(who suddenly starts using frost giant powers a lot more) and the Falcon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waterhaul posted:

They're never going to make another solo Hulk film because they're never really successful. Rufallo is just signed on to the normal Marvel contract of "you're here forever".

Lou Ferrigno says they're making one.

But they probably won't.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

How would a 60-plus retired man with no obvious actual connection to Marvel even know that poo poo? What, do they tell him out of the kindness of their hearts?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

How would a 60-plus retired man with no obvious actual connection to Marvel even know that poo poo? What, do they tell him out of the kindness of their hearts?
Having watched enough of Lou on Celebrity Apprentice, I guarantee you people just tell him that he wants to hear because he is insufferable to be around 110% of the time. "Yeah, sure buddy! Gotta go!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

Ferrigno actually does the Hulk voice in live action stuff.

Including The Avengers.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

TetsuoTW posted:

Lou Ferigno played the voice of the Hulk in both Incredible Hulk and Avengers. He is an actor with a marvel contract in Marvel Produced movies.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Whats the significance of Tony Stark getting the shrapnel taking out of his chest at the end of Iron Man 3? It doesn't mean he can't be Iron Man any more because Don Cheadle was flying a suit pretty well, which means he just had it left it in there because...?

Why didn't he just fire up all the Iron Man suits to begin with when those helicopters showed up and blew up his house? Why did he give out his home address at all in the first place?

That was a weird movie.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Ferigno knows as much about unannounced upcoming Marvel films as Stan Lee, which is no more then anybody that reads the internet knows. Marvel have been stung twice by Hulk and ain't doing another. Even film timeline wise there's no room for a Hulk film between Age of Ultron and Avengers 3.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Whats the significance of Tony Stark getting the shrapnel taking out of his chest at the end of Iron Man 3? It doesn't mean he can't be Iron Man any more because Don Cheadle was flying a suit pretty well, which means he just had it left it in there because...?

It's a pretty obvious metaphor of unburdening and self-forgiveness, but in terms of plot I think it's meant to indicate that Tony is finally working on solving his own problems instead of trying to fix the world around him.

And I would imagine you leave the arc reactor in your chest because the only other alternative is to walk around with a sucking three-inch chest wound.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Why didn't he just fire up all the Iron Man suits to begin with when those helicopters showed up and blew up his house? Why did he give out his home address at all in the first place?

That was a weird movie.

His chest was "an excuse to be Iron Man" and Iron Man was what he was using to escape from dealing with his real life with Pepper. Now that it's healed he's complete and no longer needs excuses to run away from life. He's Iron Man and Tony Stark whether he has an arc reactor in his chest or not.

(It's also because there was that brief period where Robert Downey Jr. was bowing out of Marvel films and this closes his narrative arc)

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I understood it was presented that way, but its an empty gesture that sort of comes out of nowhere. If they'd done something to establish the significance of the shrapnel instead of say, his panic attacks, it might have worked. All in all it felt like an early draft of a script.

Didn't he take the reactor out of himself too because he threw it in the ocean at the end?

EDIT: bear in mind i saw the first two years ago, so maybe those movies develop it more.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Waterhaul posted:

Ferigno knows as much about unannounced upcoming Marvel films as Stan Lee, which is no more then anybody that reads the internet knows. Marvel have been stung twice by Hulk and ain't doing another. Even film timeline wise there's no room for a Hulk film between Age of Ultron and Avengers 3.

Did the Edward Norton one do that terribly?

I wasn't particularly in love with it, but it was fun with the punching.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Whats the significance of Tony Stark getting the shrapnel taking out of his chest at the end of Iron Man 3?
It's symbolic. It means he's now Iron Man by choice more than by necessity - removing the shrapnel makes him "whole" again, independent of the technology, physically capable of being only Tony Stark should he choose.

quote:

It doesn't mean he can't be Iron Man any more because Don Cheadle was flying a suit pretty well, which means he just had it left it in there because...?
Because taking it out without the healing capabilities of a fixed Extremis would have killed him, and because it while it doesn't mean he can't be Iron Man, it means he can not be Iron Man.

quote:

Hubris.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

TetsuoTW posted:

Because taking it out without the healing capabilities of a fixed Extremis would have killed him, and because it while it doesn't mean he can't be Iron Man, it means he can not be Iron Man.

This is the part I missed. Thank you.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

theflyingorc posted:

Did the Edward Norton one do that terribly?

I wasn't particularly in love with it, but it was fun with the punching.

The Norton Hulk is still one of my favourite Marvel movies and I am somewhat sad that it will never be followed up while a crappy Thor movie gets a crappy Thor sequel.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Madkal posted:

The Norton Hulk is still one of my favourite Marvel movies and I am somewhat sad that it will never be followed up while a crappy Thor movie gets a crappy Thor sequel.

I liked both Thor movies!

With the notable aside "The love story in the first one is horribly tacked on and their relationship is not even slightly earned."

Actually, out of the 8 films the only one I didn't really super enjoy was probably Iron Man 2.

edit: the wikipedia page about the Hulk film seems pretty ambiguous on a future standalone movie:

quote:

In 2012's Marvel's The Avengers, Mark Ruffalo began his role as Banner/Hulk. In April 2012, despite Ruffalo being on board to play the Hulk in the sequel, Feige confirmed to Collider that Marvel had no plans at that time to film another Hulk [movie].[118] In a Q&A (question and answer) session, Feige and Ruffalo confirmed that discussions are underway to produce another Hulk film due to the positive audience response to Ruffalo's performance in The Avengers.

also -

quote:

Kevin Feige said the film met Marvel's expectations
So basically, I don't think there was a chance of a sequel before the Avengers because the film only did OK and there was a lot of conflict with Norton, but now that the Avengers gave 3 or 4 of the best gags to Hulk they might look at doing a standalone at some point - and I'd say the biggest limiter to that isn't that they don't believe the Hulk could sell, but that they don't want to overcrowd an already crowded MCU release schedule.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 2, 2014

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Why did he give out his home address at all in the first place?

That was a weird movie.

Tony Stark is one of the most famous men presented in this universe, his home address wouldn't be that hard to find out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

Tony Stark is one of the most famous men presented in this universe, his home address wouldn't be that hard to find out.

And the beach house in Malibu and Avengers Tower in NYC aren't exactly subtle little holes-in-the-wall. His homes are pretty obvious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also he was incredibly pissed off because his best friend almost died.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Hey now the biggest plot hole is him using the janky armor when he had one battle tested against alien invaders and gods.

Oh and there not being a single like lava exploration suit that could go toe to toe with Killian with out getting melted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He actually uses that one the whole movie because it's the only one he can summon on command as his house is going down.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think a Hulk sequel would do better now, after his appearance in Avengers. That last Hulk movie came in the wake of Iron Man, which was a surprise success, and The Incredible Hulk wasn't at that level. It was also a mess behind the scenes, so I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man 2 quite a bit. There were a handful of really bad parts and the pacing was all over the place. But the good parts were fantastic and Andrew Garfield is the absolute perfect Spidey.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

He actually uses that one the whole movie because it's the only one he can summon on command as his house is going down.

Doesn't he summon the armory at the end? Or did I forget a scene where he engineers the armory to do the same thing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hi liter posted:

Doesn't he summon the armory at the end? Or did I forget a scene where he engineers the armory to do the same thing?

Yeah but he sends the Mark 42 to Pepper first. He can only command the others with Jarvis too, whereas the 42 he implanted himself with some control for.

Then he takes it over as the house is collapsing. The others spend most of the movie covered by his entire house.

(Ironically including Igor which is designed to clear debris instead of combat.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 3, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

hi liter posted:

No see his super powerful heavily armed suits were stuck, under rubble, that they could have blown up.

The whole 42 suit was a writing crutch, they have to get him out of the suit so the suit's battery dies, it has a battery because it's remote control suit and so isn't powered by the arc reactor in his chest, also it can't charge off the near limitless power the arch reactor produces and he use uses a car battery to do it because HEY LOOK OVER THERE!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He should have just had to fight the extremis army and last boss battle in his old beat-up suit with no help. That would've been cooler and raise way less questions.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

He should have just had to fight the extremis army and last boss battle in his old beat-up suit with no help. That would've been cooler and raise way less questions.

That was actually what I thought the movie was going to be when I first heard Extremis was going to be central to it, I honestly figured the suits showing up in the preview had been taken over by Extremis-ed Mandarin and Tony would end up in the first suit fighting them because of some handwave about it and Roddy's suit being not advanced enough to be taken over by Extremis.

Then it turns out it was fire breath.

It would have been a more blatant take on Tony being his own worst enemy and fallen more in line with the comics cyclical Tony invents something-> bad guys use it for bad-> tony either falls back on old technology or creates new tech to combat it-> repeat.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 3, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked Amazing Spider-Man 2 a lot, there were quite a few stupid things, the pacing was weird as hell, and the ending of the movie is kind of... Strange? But Andrew Garfield was good, the humor was all around wonderful, the fight scenes were snappy and beautifully covered, the sense of scale on the swinging is great too, and I just really loved what they did with Max Dillon and Harry, they're wonderful.

As someone who enjoyed the first movie quite a bit, I think this is overall a better movie.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

SirDan3k posted:

That was actually what I thought the movie was going to be when I first heard Extremis was going to be central to it, I honestly figured the suits showing up in the preview had been taken over by Extremis-ed Mandarin and Tony would end up in the first suit fighting them because of some handwave about it and Roddy's suit being not advanced enough to be taken over by Extremis.

Then it turns out it was fire breath.

It would have been a more blatant take on Tony being his own worst enemy and fallen more in line with the comics cyclical Tony invents something-> bad guys use it for bad-> tony either falls back on old technology or creates new tech to combat it-> repeat.

Like, the entirety of that film was a direct refutation of the 'comics cyclical Tony'.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

Like, the entirety of that film was a direct refutation of the 'comics cyclical Tony'.

What can I say the success of the Avengers brought out the inner cynic in me, I was expecting it to do it's best not to rock the boat.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Just saw ASM2:

I am so glad they had the balls to kill Gwen, unlike the Raimi movies. There were WAY too many things going on and they were all in a weird order, inclusion of Rhino felt super forced, and it was weird there was an Xmen trailer after and no ASM post credit scene

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Old Man Pants posted:

Just saw ASM2:

I am so glad they had the balls to kill Gwen, unlike the Raimi movies. There were WAY too many things going on and they were all in a weird order, inclusion of Rhino felt super forced, and it was weird there was an Xmen trailer after and no ASM post credit scene

Amazing Spider-Man 2 does have a post credit scene.

Oh what, you didn't see it? Didn't you know all you had to do was take out your mobile phone and use Shazam during the credits to access it? I mean, it's completely obvious if you just read the item description like I do when I play Darksouls obbessively use Shazam all the time.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/29/the-amazing-spider-man-2-end-credits-stinger-appears-to-reveal-sinister-six-lineup/

But seriously the idea of hiding the ending credits scene behind an app is just awful.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It's not a post credits scene though.

You just have to Shazam the promotional single they released and you get an animated titled card. It's not as if anybody has to see the film to do that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Michael Kupperman ‏@MKupperman posted:

Stan Lee's cameo is Amazing Spider Man 2 is as a garbageman: "Pee-yew, this pile of crap stinks" he says, summing up the movie.

Well, now I don't know what to believe.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think he makes several compelling points and I agree with them.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Ha! That's hilarious! I liked ASM2, but my opinion is probably skewed because the action scenes were amazing in a real IMAX theater. I had the same issue with the first one, I really enjoyed it seeing it at the IMAX, then was kind of bored watching it at home. I could watch Spidey swing around all day on a giant screen. I'm definitely not arguing with a lot of the criticism. Stan's cameo was pretty lame compared to the first one's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah I laughed in the theater at web hand. I'm probably a bad person for that, but the second I saw it I just thought it was a bit much and kind of silly. Less is more would've probably been a good policy for the movie, because Jesus.

• Locked thread