Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

I should have been born a thai lady-boy in all honesty since all I want to do is shovel rice paper wrapped lettuce and marinated carrots dipped in fish sauce into my flavor hole 24/7

a thai ladyboy would be shoving more than fish sauce into their flavor hole, among other holes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

confirmed dad food.

I probably have not had sardines in like 20 years, but my dad ate them, always in mustard sauce, and last I remember they were pretty decent on a saltine.

Note that the mustard sauce that came in the ones I ate was not really very mustardy... It was really more like a mustard vinaigrette I think? Didn't taste like the yellow stuff you put on a hotdog. More tangy and did an excellent job of covering up the fishy flavor of small oily fish.

I think personally I prefer smoked oysters, drained of oil and rinsed, drowned in franks red hot on ritz with a nice aged cheddar.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Wendigee posted:

I think personally I prefer smoked oysters, drained of oil and rinsed, drowned in franks red hot on ritz with a nice aged cheddar.

Are/were you a smoker?
That's like...a lot of strong contradicting flavors. I mean I'm not against it because they're all good flavors, but I mean you're not getting 'one or the other' with this combo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I guess what I'm saying is that you should be egalitarian with dad-foods.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Are/were you a smoker?
That's like...a lot of strong contradicting flavors. I mean I'm not against it because they're all good flavors, but I mean you're not getting 'one or the other' with this combo.

honestly, at the point where i started liking these things, no. I did not smoke. I definitely don't think I smoke enough to alter my taste profile.

I will smoke a cigarette on a friday night when I drink to much but no, I grew up on that stuff long before I started smoking.

Actually my dad never really ate smoked oysters. He was a devote saltine and mustard sardine man.

I had a family 2 doors down that was divorced. The son who was my friend would visit his dad for a weekend a month or so. He got me into smoked oysters + hot sauce on saltines. That was the dad snack they had when they were hungry and dad was not around. Mix in plenty of video games my parents didn't have the income to afford. NES/SNES + smokes oysters in hot sauce on crackers are some good kid memories.

I added the cheddar at home because my dad suggested it when I told him what he had for a snack. It was honestly a mouth bomb the first time I tried it, but I ended up liking it into middle age. Its delicious and to me they go together.

I found I preferred the smoked oysters to the sardines, realizing that both smell terrible, and I've been eating smoked oysters from a tin since then on occasion. Always with hot sauce and crackers, with cheddar if I had it.

way_to_much_text.txt sorry

*shrug* nom nom nom

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 28, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Philipino 'dine trip report, day one.
Ligo in tomato and chili sauce.
loving decent for the price, round can was a nice change, needing a can opener added an extra air of challenge to the experience. Flavor was kinda fishy, but not unpleasantly so, no bitterness or other weird flavor. Tomato/chili flavor was very mild, not really hot and not all that tomato-y. Salty as gently caress, true to their Philipino origins. About 5 smaller fish chunks, held together well, smooth texture.
So, not my favorite, but totally edible for the dirt, dirt cheap price. Kinda like the Budweisser of sardines, nothing exceptional, but cheap, inoffensive and kinda pleasantly light. A good 'dine for a hot summer's day.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
i too am a fan of smoked oysters but i stopped eating them unless they're local. all of the ones ive found in the supermarket are from china and i have a hard time rationalizing eating food from a place that has things like counterfeit baby formula

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

THS posted:

just bought some fish sauce

i'm supposed to put this on everything right?

Put it on anything you want to taste better.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bollig posted:

My wife really hates my renewed interest in sardines. My cat feels otherwise. That's a majority vote right there honey.

Garum is definitely something I've always wanted to do. But I don't really live near a body of water, so getting fish with their guts inside of them is pretty tough. I want to travel to Italy to get that garum-esque stuff, but apparently its pricey.

Pliny the Elder would literally water it down and drink it.

I add fish sauce to almost everything. My BBQ sauce has it as the #3 ingredient. Red Boat is super loving good, and I use it if the actual fish sauce is part of the flavor. Otherwise I use the one with the squid on it.

Just get a bottle of worcestershire sauce. It is almost literally the same thing.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Just get a bottle of worcestershire sauce. It is almost literally the same thing.

fly away troll

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

nah, it's good tho

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

FaradayCage posted:

If you start off making complicated recipes, you might see their flavor as an unwelcome addition to the dish.

(For what it's worth, I didn't like sardines when I first tried them. Now they're my jam.)

Yes, I think straight up good quality sardines (in tomato sauce for the wary) on a cracker and maybe hot sauce is the best introduction. My sautéed garlic/tomato/vinegar/lemon juice/sardines mix for cracker topping usage initially induced a gag reflex because the sardine flavor was so drat fishy and strong.

Coming back to retry the leftovers either the flavor has mellowed or I'm adjusting because I want to make more.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah. I did use it today to make one of my favorite recipes, though:

Fry up some cabbage in some olive oil.
Add a bunch of worchestershire sauce (and Salt and Pepper), cook for like 3-4 minutes.
Dumb some butter on there.

Fart.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Was thinking about opening a Sardinian restaurant, you guys think that's too niche? :airquote:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
One of the ingredients of worcestershire sauce is anchovy, sure, but it's no garum. :colbert:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

worcestershire is, however, extremely dad

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
With canned anchovies, how long can/do you keep the spares in the fridge before its time to huck 'em?

I'm thinking about making the Puttanesca sauce but for chicken and zucchini instead of spaghetti.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

local store brand smoked oysters are korean and the more expensive chicken of the sea are china <life haxx>

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Tiny stinky fish
Wait, come back, they're delicious
Everyone hates me

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
how the gently caress is there a 20+ page thread about sardines in GBS?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Modern Day Hercules posted:

sardines are good
eat more sardines

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

sardines are delicious + nutritious

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I am having sardines for breakfast at least three times a week now.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

i eat sardines for breakfast on saturdays and sundays

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
brand report - Wild Planet Sardines in extra virgin olive oil. I was put off by the packaging for a long time and avoided them but I guess I was dumb because they're good. They're in big firm (for sardines) chunks (scaled if you're a baby) and the oil actually tasted good. All dogs in the area also approved. Same price as King Oscar where I shop.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Modern Day Hercules posted:

It's probably the best GBS thread in months.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Trip report: Crown Prince Natural Kipper Snacks - Low-Sodium

These differ from the regular Crown Prince kippers by not having any artificial smoke flavor added and having only about half of the salt, a desirable quality if you're adding kippers to a recipe that already calls for seasoning. The cans are BPA-free, if you care about that. Nice firm fish, mild odor (might be the only kipper snacks that won't earn your officemates' hatred) and this variety has the benefit of having been de-skinned as well as de-boned, so no fin issues. :barf: The downside of the skin removal is that the kippers are a little bit on the dry side, but not terribly so (and it's not a bad quality if you want fish firm enough to cook with.) The worst drawback is that they are packed in water plus a little oil of some kind, and the oil tastes like utter disgusting rear end. It's a weird linseed-oil-type taste. A mouthful of that'll spoil your lunch.

Verdict: for this variety I'd definitely drain the fish before eating, maybe even give it a quick rinse with water to make sure all that oil is gone, and preferably make it part of a dish(smoked fish mousse for mine, it turned out great on pumpernickel with a little fresh dill mixed in.) Don't eath them plain without a good whack of sriracha or something to give them more taste. Healthy as hell, though!

Myron Baloney posted:

brand report - Wild Planet Sardines in extra virgin olive oil. I was put off by the packaging for a long time and avoided them but I guess I was dumb because they're good. They're in big firm (for sardines) chunks (scaled if you're a baby) and the oil actually tasted good. All dogs in the area also approved. Same price as King Oscar where I shop.

Seconding this one, my dog and I both love Wild Planet. Nice 'dines, not too fishy, sustainably harvested. Good tiny fish. :chef:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

new sardine pasta reciped:
fry plenty of chopped garlic and some chili in olive oil in a pan until fragrant
add sardines in chunks to the pan
add some white wine and let simmer for a few minutes
dump freshly cooked pasta, a splash of the noodle cooking water on top
add salt, pepper and olive oil to taste

very quick and tasty

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

also search for sardines millesimes if you want some really loving expensive ones from france

not worth it imo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I bet drained artichoke hearts or grilled asparagus spears would make excellent additions to that, but I don't want to hoity toity this thing straight out of the atmosphere.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

oh yes, artichokes sounds very nice

naem
May 29, 2011

Bonzo posted:

I am having sardines for breakfast at least three times a week now.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Used drained artichoke hearts in the salad that went with the fish mousse. Fish + artichokes = criminal levels of good.

When I was looking up the recipe page I found the King Oscar mascots, Capn' Happy Fish and angry old First Mate Crab. Crab's not the one whose people are getting eaten by the canful here, you think he'd be a little more chill.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Alton Brown just posted a video on how to make sardine sweet potato dog biscuits.

Mostly because his dog likes to eat cat poop :wtc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7qpBWVzXBs

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Anyone have opinions on Crown Prince 'dines in tomato sauce? They're selling them on Amazon for $20/12-pack which is a pretty good deal for casual snacking.

Also available in Louisiana hot sauce. hot 'dine beat clap

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Squirrel Burger posted:

Anyone have opinions on Crown Prince 'dines in tomato sauce? They're selling them on Amazon for $20/12-pack which is a pretty good deal for casual snacking.

Also available in Louisiana hot sauce. hot 'dine beat clap

They rank 17 out of 30 on this mass sardine review
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/301739

But I've never had 'em. Sorry!

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

mods, as a faithful contributor to this thread, please do the needful

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
and youd only have to change cheese to 'dines in the text to make it appropriate

CMON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

DiggityDoink posted:

and youd only have to change cheese to 'dines in the text to make it appropriate

CMON

No one's going to give you a free sig change that corrupts an otherwise fine Primus reference.

• Locked thread