Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Epic Three Barrel Cove dev diary up. Sounds pretty promising, glad to see that a decent amount of actual work went into it, rather than just +numbers. Also super glad they seem to have ditched the idea of spending astral shards to teleport around landscapes, I hope it stays that way. They should really go back and change Storm Horns and Wheloon too.

Nita posted:

The only endgame staff I can use right now is my dreamspitter. I was considering upgrading it with +8 and supreme good, but I don't know how that will effect the ml.

And did you mean the Dreampiercer? Upgrading FoT/CitW weapons doesn't change their ML at all. Nor does upgrading Reaver's Fate stuff (like adding Holy/Force Burst to Dreamspitter).

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Swashbuckler Round 2 is up. And we get details on the Single Weapon Fighting line. No stat requirements, needs balance instead. Gives +2/4/6 max dice sides, but doesn't function on weapons with multiple base dice (like Agony).

2.5[2d4] would become 2.5[2d10] if it did, or an average of 27.5 weapon damage. Celestia is 2.5[1d10] so 2.5[1d16] or 21.25 average weapon damage. It does certainly favor Agony then, and I guess maybe there are weapons where it's got potential to really be bad, but honestly Agony doing more damage than Celestia when Celestia (in theory) pierces (almost) all DR seems pretty fair (and blinds).

Final core in Swashbuckler actually gives Evasion too, so if you don't care to bother dealing with traps, it makes pure bard instead of 18/2 that much more viable. There's also Charisma to damage in the tree, but doesn't seem to be a way to get attack outside of PDK (with shortswords not rapiers), unless I'm missing something somewhere. Same with Intelligence.

Still toying with the idea of doing a Shadar-Kai Bard/2rogue when this comes out. Have to play around with some build ideas for it. I guess PDK bard/2 rogue/1 fighter might be better overall, don't take a charisma hit, get the extra feat/skill points and better racial enhancements if I have free points. The Iconic Past Lives are pretty comparable.

[Edit] Extremely tentative idea:
PDK, TN, 1 Fighter -> 2 Rogue -> 17 bard
Str: 16, Dex: 16, Con: 14, Int: 14, Wis: 8, Charisma: 12, 2 level ups in strength, rest in dex
Feats: Cleave, (H)Power Attack, (F)Weapon Finesse, Single Weapon Fighting, Great Cleave, ISWF, IC: Pierce, Empower Healing, GSWF, Quicken, Overwhelming Critical, Perfect TWF, Epic Reflexes, Elusive Target(/Forced Escape/Lasting Inspiration)
Skills at 20: 7 Balance, 2 Bluff, 23 Concentration, 6 Jump, 23 Perform, 1 Tumble, 23 UMD, 23 Disable Device, 4 Intimidate, 23 Open Lock, 23 Search
PDK: Damage Boost, Improved Recovery 1
Kensai: Focus - Light Blades, Spec - Light Blades, Haste Boost 3
Warchanter: Core to Fighting Spirit 2, Inspired Bravery 3, Rough and Ready 3, Gathering Cold 1, Iced Edges, Sprint Boost 1, Boast 3, Ironskin Chant 3, Inspire Recklessness 3, High Spirits 3
Spellsinger: Core to Music of the Dead, Magical Studies 3, Lingering Songs 3, Wand Heightening 3, Wand & Scroll Mastery 3

Which leaves 30 points for Swashbuckler, and there's a few that can definitely be dropped if I need more there.
I'm also considering switching it up to 2 Fighter to get the second feat, given that 17 Bard vs 16 bard is unimpressive. Which should let me adjust feats around to get everything I'm getting now, plus Inspire Excellence in the epic levels instead of having to take Quicken as one of my epic feats.

Also thinking of dropping dex down lower and just focusing on str, and ditching Finesse. As long as I'm still using my Balizarde, I'd be able to Swashbuckle just fine. My dex and str are going to be super close as is, and I've got the gear that's focused on that already. Though I guess if I'm focusing on Balizarde, I also don't need IC. Then again, I do still have a raiders box laying around I could take Celestia from...

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 1, 2014

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
I forgot to grab the quest for return to Tor, but went through the quest and killed all the dragons. To flag do I have to rerun just the quest or do I have to kill all the dragons as well?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The dragons are not needed to flag anymore, for Fall or Reaver even since U17. Just complete the quest.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Update 22 Round 1 is up on Lammania:

New airships and amenities (short version: it's all pretty drat awesome):
  • Completely new set of amenities added
  • New amenity buffs aren’t lost on death, will pause in public and on logout, and last much longer in general
  • A “buff bar” on the top deck will grant buffs for all installed amenities
  • Max Guild level goes to 200
  • Six new airships, even bigger than the current six
  • Current airships get their lower decks overhauled, to accommodate new amenities
  • And by and large, bonuses are simply better. The single caveat is that where appropriate, buffs now scale to level. In addition, some amenities, such as elemental resists, come in tiers. The very top tiers don’t just offer flat elemental resistances, but percentage resistances instead! Another aspect that’s being improved is duration. As stated above, these buffs won’t go away on death. They’ll start lasting for a couple of hours, and as your guild goes up, that duration will increase.
  • What about the old amenities? We’ve reserved a special cargo hold for them. Any contracts you’ve got can be placed there and used for as long as they last.
  • If you have the Farshifter amenity installed below, the Captain will automatically offer to take you to Farshifter locations
  • New airships and other items will continue to unlock through Guild Level 150
  • We are turning guild decay on for levels 150-200 ONLY: these are bragging rights levels
  • For bragging level guilds, your guild title text will change different colors in recognition of your status
  • As mentioned above, the new amenities are permanent. Once you’ve got them, you keep them. Of the 40 new amenity types, you’ll be able to buy about 75% of them for Platinum, directly from your airship.
  • You’ll be able to obtain the remaining amenities as follows:
    • They will almost all appear in quest end reward lists. A few of these will be rare drops.
    • You will be able to buy them for Astral Shards from your airship
  • Now the amenities found on quest reward lists will go into your personal inventory, but most amenities will never touch player inventory space. We’ve created a new guild inventory concept, to hold our permanent amenities when they’re not placed. Using an amenity deed from your inventory, on your airship, will move it into that guild inventory space.
  • Droppable amenities will not be bound, so we could buy (for example) the Abbott amenity if we didn't care to ever run that, in theory
  • The buff bar on the top deck will automatically grant buffs to any pets you have summoned, as well.

General U22 stuff (strangely this is small since the focus is on Epic 3BC and guild airships):
  • Single Weapon Fighting Line: 10/20/30% attack speed boost, 1.0/1.5/2x your stat modifier to damage.
  • New named buckler shields have been added to the game!
  • The Key to the City - Eveningstar can once again be used on guild airships.
  • The House Deneith quest Storming the Beaches (from the Sentinels of Stormreach adventure pack) now features an Epic version! (Finally)
  • Most spells (and the Favored Soul's Angel of Vengeance summoned archon) no longer emit light. This change has been made to improve game performance.

quote:

Currently yes, once you run out they are gone. We won't be selling the old ones anymore.
Any that you have in storage you can of course use, and there is a room to use them in the basement of the ship.

So it sounds like we'll need to stock up on all the resist shrine contracts if we want to be able to provide them for low level players. That said, I'm not sure how important that will be. 30 vs 10 resists at low levels can be ridiculous against certain spells, but with ITR and not having a ton of low levels and getting some buffs being better than none, I don't know if it's overly worth it. Then again the contracts are cheap and I/we could probably stock enough of them to last for years easily.

Player list of the new Guild Amenities

Given this, it looks like the new resists give Guild bonuses to resist, scaling up to 15 if you're high enough level, and stack. As well as % absorb bonuses for the higher level amenities. So I'm guessing they'll be 5/10/15 tiers, meaning a newbie could potion/self cast 10 and guild buff 5. Or we could keep up old resist shrines and get everyone 35+ resists.

Loot examples (all loot should be ML24):

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 10, 2014

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Holy crap, those are some legit changes.

Woden
May 6, 2006
What sort of bonus are they, alchem, artifact, guild or something new?

These changes seem pretty cool, low level wont be broken and there's a reason to buff up when you're high level.

Oh and guess I should just delete my epic FoM boots and epic firestorm greaves now.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

All the new bonuses are Guild based as far as I know, making legacy guild slot items that much less useful (good in the long run). That said, I'm gonna stock up on 5+ months of the 30 resist shrines, so we can have the best of both worlds.

[Edit] Examples:
GL10: Sign of the Silver Flame I: +15 Guild Bonus to Sonic/Electricity Resist & +15 Guild Bonus to Sonic/Electricty Spellpower.
GL12: Chronoscope: +3 Guild Bonus to Reflex saving throws & +40% Enhancement bonus to movement speed while in public areas (does not stack with Phiarlin Pendant of Time or Haste).
GL25: Armory: +6 Guild Bonus to Armor Class & +15% Fortification

A lot of the bonuses in the thread are not listed, but I'm guessing in general they're Guild bonuses, except in cases like run speed where they don't want it stacking up much higher than the max is currently. A lot of these bonuses are the ones you can find on the old guild augments, just in a much nicer form. Though there's plenty of new poo poo too.

Also the ship we'll unlock at GL80 (which is worth getting since the layout doesn't matter in terms of annoyance getting buffs):
Windspyre Gryphon:
Top Floor: Unable to see any hookpoints.
First Floor: 6 Small & 1 Large Hookpoint.
Second Floor: 4 Small & 1 Large Hookpoint.
Cargo Hold: 9 Crew, 12 Small & 4 Large Hookpoints. (Legacy Shipbuffs only)

Also the Lammania schedule:

May 9 - Epic 3 barrel cove
May 15 Guilds! Swashbuckler!
May 22 Guilds! Other surprises!
May 30 (subject to change)
June 6 (subject to change)

So looks like we're on schedule for a mid June release to keep in-line with 3 months between updates normally.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 10, 2014

Woden
May 6, 2006

DemonMage posted:

[*]Single Weapon Fighting Line: 10/20/30% attack speed boost, 1.0/1.5/2x your stat modifier to damage.

I missed this earlier, holy poo poo. :stare:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, there's "a lot" of people bitching in the Lammania forums about the ability modifier thing. I benefit more from strength with a rapier than my falchion, MY LORE. It's not like there's a ton of ways they can really make the style do more DPS to try and keep it competitive with other fighting styles, and as long as the numbers put it in the realm of TWF/THF it's not a super huge deal if it's lore strange. I mean, if they can make it competitive and fit within the framework of lore and "reality", then cool, but ultimately making it fun is the important thing. They really need to help out TWFs item problem though, let you put a weapon into the stone of change and get a duplicate BTC one so you can still use two different ones if you want, but you don't have to grind twice as hard as THF(/SWF) people to do... less DPS.

Added a couple more items above as well, looking pretty well designed for the most part. They're not going to unseat imaginary level 28 named items people should be wearing that don't exist, but they provide some good options and the combos on the item are complementary which is always nice. Though they really need to make or add blunt to the Muntineer's Blade, it's clearly anti-undead, people would be smart enough to blunt it. I mean I guess it's more anti-ghost, but they take full damage from blunt.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 10, 2014

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Even though they will probably bring SWF down to 1.25/1.5 I am still really looking forward to playing a swashbuckling divine crusading rune arm wielding bard.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Has there been any word on what the new named bucklers will be like? It seems like there are so many potentially cool things to do with this stuff.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Fenris13 posted:

Even though they will probably bring SWF down to 1.25/1.5 I am still really looking forward to playing a swashbuckling divine crusading rune arm wielding bard.

I was probably gonna do orb (or freehand if I can fit sonic + positive elsewhere), just because I can't really fit artificer into my level break down, and then do an artificer heavy mix for that life.

And no, those three items above are the only new ones in the thread I linked above, and I haven't seen any elsewhere.

Woden
May 6, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Yeah, there's "a lot" of people bitching in the Lammania forums about the ability modifier thing. I benefit more from strength with a rapier than my falchion, MY LORE. It's not like there's a ton of ways they can really make the style do more DPS to try and keep it competitive with other fighting styles, and as long as the numbers put it in the realm of TWF/THF it's not a super huge deal if it's lore strange. I mean, if they can make it competitive and fit within the framework of lore and "reality", then cool, but ultimately making it fun is the important thing. They really need to help out TWFs item problem though, let you put a weapon into the stone of change and get a duplicate BTC one so you can still use two different ones if you want, but you don't have to grind twice as hard as THF(/SWF) people to do... less DPS.
I don't care too much about the lore it's the possible power creep. Hopefully THF+SWF with a DA or Bastard sword wont mean 30% attack speed(cleaves will make this weaker than it looks), ~76% glancing blows and 2x stat damage. Builds are so complex now and DPS analysis is so hard because of cleave like abilities it makes it very difficult to tell if something is ridiculous or not, but that is my biggest fear with this.

Having a low level Bard splash help prop up non lawful and usually good melees could be genius though, monks are broke as gently caress and have way too much synergy with /2 pally. Monk/pal/rogue is uber same with monk/pal/fighter or ranger, even arti, cleric or FvS turn out pretty great with the monk treatment.

Edit: oh and apparently SWF works with wolf form on Lama and stacks with TWF, that sounds pretty fun.

Woden fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 12, 2014

Woden
May 6, 2006
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/441927-List-of-the-new-Guild-Amenities

Some of those amenities look awesome:

Bash the Breakable's Cargo Bay: +1 Guild Bonus to the level of your treasure from chests.

Concert Hall: +1 Guild Bonus to save vs. Enchantments, +1 Extra Bard Song per day & +1 Extra Action Boost per day.

Fencing Master: 2% Guild bonus to Character Maximum Dodge & +2 Guild bonus to Maximum Dexterity Bonus to armor.

Forbidden Library: +3 Concentration, Heal, Repair, Spellcraft and Use Magic Device.

Chronoscope: +3 Guild Bonus to Reflex saving throws & +40% Enhancement bonus to movement speed while in public areas (does not stack with Phiarlin Pendant of Time or Haste).

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah some of them are insanely good. I think one has 10% healing amp and another has 0.5[W] to sneak attacks as part of their bonuses.

edit: correction, .25[W] when flanking.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

From a dev in that thread as well:

quote:

• Durations are intended to be 3 hours at a base, increasing up to 5 hours as your guild gains levels (there are specific levels that grant 30 minute duration bonuses).
  • Most numbers for effects should be accurate for your feedback, etc.
  • Yes, we're intentionally changing Energy Resistance to lower but stacking numbers.
  • Nearly every effect is using the bonus type Guild. Note that we've changed the bonus types on some of the old amenities to also be of type Guild for the sake of stacking concerns. (Ability scores are no longer Artifact bonuses, for instance.)
  • Spellpower is not intended to be 100 times more than the text says.
  • Many effects scale with player level from 1-10, 11-20, and 21+. This isn't true for every bonus, however.
  • Exact renown curve is still subject to some review.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

List of all the new loot coming, as of now.

Cursed Blade of Jack Jibbers
Clickable Item
Animate Ally on self for two minutes, one charge per rest. (Can be used while dead). Exclusive. Runs a blade through your chest.

That one is awesome.

Also on SWF:

quote:

We're currently leaning towards making THF and SWF mutually exclusive, with the current versions of the feats.

Internally we've several times discussed the idea of replacing the 200% ability score modifier with, "Add your Dexterity modifier to your damage (in addition to Strength or whatever other stat you are using, which might be Dexterity)." This potentially fit flavor/lore better, and differentiates it more from THF, but also forces all SWF to build for Dexterity (at least somewhat). That's one example of options we've considered, anyway. We usually try not to put out every crazy idea we've had internally, because (1) for brainstorming we'd rather you guys not get focused on our ideas but instead keep coming up with your own, because all of you may well think of things we haven't, and (2) it can be misleading to players as to what we're really strong considering for release. Of course, we're also trying to get things out in front of you guys sooner, which means things are more likely to change and we end up throwing away things some players liked.

We're also currently considering adding in a Coup de Grace ability to tier 5 on Swashbuckler, which would be a conditional instant kill attack.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 15, 2014

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DemonMage posted:

List of all the new loot coming, as of now.

Cursed Blade of Jack Jibbers
Clickable Item
Animate Ally on self for two minutes, one charge per rest. (Can be used while dead). Exclusive. Runs a blade through your chest.

That one is awesome.

Looking at the list thats probably the only thing im interested in.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Did they ever fix crushing wave so it won't remove certain DoTs?

That Cursed Blade seems fun as hell, Going to use than instead of rez scrolls/clickies from now on.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Just keep in mind Animate Ally gives you a stacking DOT until you die plus gives you Shroud of the Zombie. It's a good wipe protection item, and super fun/ny.

As of Jan 2013, crushing wave suppressed (but didn't remove) Niac's at least still. Can't find anything more recent, so it does make it a little less interesting if that's still busted.

Cannoneer’s Goggles is just a fantastic caster item, more longevity, a good spellpower, and a useful augment slot.
Pirate Hat is a really solid charisma caster item, nice and flexible, competitive with the blue dragon helm and not as irritating to get most likely.
Iron Mitts are a good upgrade over PDK, with multiple solid affixes at good levels.
Broken Music Box is interesting, imagine there are some good setups you could come up with for that, dependant heavily on the rest of your gear.
Orcish Privateer’s Boots are fantastic slot consolidator and the resists are handy to have under the new guild buff system.
Drowned Priest’s Torch could be a really solid item if they do make Insightful Faith the red augment instead of devotion, then you could slot in a second spellpower.
Saint Mur’ay's Fire isn't as high of a single spell type as some others, but it also has Potency and some good mods on it. Not great, but not bad.

The rest is mostly niche gear, but none of it stands out as terrible for that niche.

Also from the Round 2 notes:

quote:

• NEW (LAMANNIA ONLY): Tier 5 of Swashbuckler now has a new ability: Coup de Grace. (Multiselector, Melee or Ranged Attack): Make an attack with +3[W]. If it strikes any Fascinated, Sleeping, Dancing, Dazed, Tripped, Mesmerized, Paralyzed, Petrified, or Stunned enemy, it must make a Fortitude save (d20 + your Perform skill) or die instantly.
  • NEW (LAMANNIA ONLY): Swashbuckler abilities that trigger when enemies miss you now trigger when enemies miss due to Dodge, Incorporeal, or most other reasons.
  • NEW: Divine Crusader's Stand and Be Judged ability no longer affects bosses.
  • NEW (LAMANNIA ONLY): The Single Weapon Fighting feat and Two-Handed Fighting feat cannot be taken by the same character. The Single Weapon Fighting feat is mutually exclusive with the Two Handed Fighting feat.
  • NEW: The Test Dojo has new loot! Players will now find boxes in the Dojo that distribute level 20-28 gear, including most gear from Menace of the Underdark and Update 21, as well as crafting ingredients to create Eveningstar Challenge weapons, Eveningstar Commendation items, Thunder-Forged Weapons, and Gianthold Dragonscale armors. Additionally, a box also now contains most Update 22 named items.

Also Divine Crusader is a really solid and fun Destiny. It's not as great as Blitz, but it's way less stressful and your damage is still really good. And it also has some great AE damage with Castigation and damage multiplier with Consecrate.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 16, 2014

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So round three is up and ISWF and GSWF stat bonuses work. Also Jack Jibbers now makes you a wraith for one minute and has no level requirement (for now at least).

I made a video of my swashbuckling bard build, 16 bard/2 rogue/2 fighter. It's got somewhat better gear than I have access to on live but is only using an upgraded Balizarde and is missing gear in three slots so I think overall I'm about the same or maybe worse than I'd normally be, not too far off at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxR_YBQcP7Q

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 23, 2014

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I'm always a fan of watching you play through stuff since you don't spend the first ten minutes droning on in a nasally voice about what exactly you specced and equipped. That being said, I always hate that I wouldn't be able to do the same without having a bajillion past lives first... I need friends who actually keep playing and are down to TR...

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

We're actually gonna do some more videos with audio here in the near future, but it'll still be like the one in the OP. Just mostly explaining any tricks or reasoning for stuff. Build videos are fine, but it's so much more useful (and easy to keep up to date) if you write a forum/blog post about your build and then bullshit about it during a cool EE run.

Also we're not even completionist yet, let alone Epic completionist. Having 36pt builds and at least CitW weapons does make a pretty big difference for doing ETR/ITR. And destinies, twists of fate are real strong as is Shiradi, Legendary Dreadnought, and Divine Crusader in particular. I love Crusader. Offensively strong, great passive heal, and has a great boss killing ability on a 5 minute cool down with no charge mechanic.

[Edit] For anyone not familiar with Crusader:

Zeal of the Righteous : Active Ability: Gain 50 stacks of Righteous Wrath. One stack of wrath gives: +1 Spell Power, +1% Damage with all attacks, +1% doublestrike, +1% doubleshot. Wrath decays by 1 stack every 3 seconds; not lost by resting. Cooldown: 4 minutes.

So you get 2.5 minutes of uptime with 1.5 minutes of downtime. You start out with +50 spellpower, +50% damage, +50% doublestrike/shot. Then throw in a Consecrate for some extra damage and +10% damage and it's really great burst. It's not as good as Blitz, especially since it doesn't insure you're dodge capped, but it's a ton of extra DPS and perfect for burning down bossses/minibosses. It also gives you immunity to Petrification, which is fantastic. As well as 10% item-based doublestrike, potentially freeing up a slot (it says Sacred on the wiki but I swear it doesn't stack ingame with items). Which also gives you +1 crit multiplier. And you don't have to stress about keeping up stacks (especially when not solo).

Also they added in a Destiny Epic Feat of Perfect Single Weapon Fighting that doubles Vorpal Range. So anything that would happen only on a 20 happens on a 19-20 instead. Huge buff to draining weapons in the hands of a SWFer.

Also sorry for the lack of in-game audio on the video, OBS wasn't detecting my game window and so FRAPs was recording my music, so I just killed the audio. Also the jumpcut is A) theres enough trash killing for demo purposes already and B) the server started lagging so it wasn't very fun to watch.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 23, 2014

muizvoid
May 14, 2014
This game is poo poo since they introduce epic normal , epic hard and epic elite.... i prefer the old epic quest. I still remember how excited i am when i got my Esos , echrono set and claw set :) hmmm those good days

muizvoid fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 26, 2014

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.

muizvoid posted:

This game is poo poo since they introduce epic normal , epic hard and epic elite.... i prefer the old epic quest. I still remember how excited i am when i got my Esos , echrono set and claw set :) hmmm those good days

I think you're viewing this through rose-tinted glasses. The old epic quests were defined by being huge grinds wherein you were allowed to do them once a day and had to pray to our lord Jesus Christ that one of the three super rare drops you needed in order to make your epic item actually fell into your hands. Even worse than that, the items required only dropped from certain quests, some of which were huge pains in the rear end. I have been playing this game since it came out and I can count the number of epic items I've gotten from the old system on one hand. This is not good game design.

Additionally, the difficulty level of the old epic quests was kind of bonkers. To compare it to the current difficulty levels, I'd say it was somewhere between Epic Hard and Epic Elite, and when you consider how crazy Epic Elite is, well...

Basically, they took an old broken system that only let you run the quests once a day and only at a really silly difficulty level and gave you granularity in your difficulty selection and let you run them more often. To me, this seems like a positive change and I really don't understand why you would hate the game due to this.

muizvoid
May 14, 2014

Kawaii Kiwi posted:

I think you're viewing this through rose-tinted glasses. The old epic quests were defined by being huge grinds wherein you were allowed to do them once a day and had to pray to our lord Jesus Christ that one of the three super rare drops you needed in order to make your epic item actually fell into your hands. Even worse than that, the items required only dropped from certain quests, some of which were huge pains in the rear end. I have been playing this game since it came out and I can count the number of epic items I've gotten from the old system on one hand. This is not good game design.

Additionally, the difficulty level of the old epic quests was kind of bonkers. To compare it to the current difficulty levels, I'd say it was somewhere between Epic Hard and Epic Elite, and when you consider how crazy Epic Elite is, well...

Basically, they took an old broken system that only let you run the quests once a day and only at a really silly difficulty level and gave you granularity in your difficulty selection and let you run them more often. To me, this seems like a positive change and I really don't understand why you would hate the game due to this.
That is because all my work and crazy effort to get those epic item is useless when dev decide to introduce new item that
fcking easy to get and have the same or better stat than those epic item. They should allow all old epic item to be upgraded to a better stats, i cant remember how many edragon i ran to craft the red dragon scale armour, and then they introduce the new one which is much better stats and easy to get( considering ppl can run edragon on ehard to get a chance to the red scale to drop)

All our effort should be acknowedged by the dev imho. Whatever it is DDO is one of the best mmo ive ever play, and i miss khyber :(

muizvoid fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 26, 2014

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
This is literally one of the worst things about MMO communities. You'll always get guys who go "Hey Dev, why do you make cool new stuff that's better than the stuff I had to poopsock for a bajillion hours to get? gently caress this poo poo, you should cater specifically to me because clearly I should always be the best forever and ever because of all that time I played." Guess what. If the new stuff is easy to get for others, it's also easy to get for you. Enjoy the time you had the best stuff around, then get over it and upgrade your gear.

muizvoid
May 14, 2014

RosaParksOfDip posted:

This is literally one of the worst things about MMO communities. You'll always get guys who go "Hey Dev, why do you make cool new stuff that's better than the stuff I had to poopsock for a bajillion hours to get? gently caress this poo poo, you should cater specifically to me because clearly I should always be the best forever and ever because of all that time I played." Guess what. If the new stuff is easy to get for others, it's also easy to get for you. Enjoy the time you had the best stuff around, then get over it and upgrade your gear.

If everything is easy to get, why we should play the game? EE is the challenge for now but why run it if ehard can give u the item that is slightly low stats compare to ee stats. Dev love to cater casual gamer that is what i believe, cant blame them because they want their business keep running.

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.
Well, the cool thing about having a difficulty adjustment on quests is that if you really enjoy challenging yourself, you can do so. Some people really enjoy running everything on Epic Elite and other people find that it isn't really much fun. Fortunately, you can pick what you want to run it on instead of everything being one difficulty level like it was in the past.

As for loot being better, that's only natural given that the level cap has gone from 20 to 28 since epic dungeons were introduced. This is a thing that happens in all games and is one of the reasons that people keep playing them. If there was never anything new to strive for in a game, why would anyone keep playing it? It's cool that you enjoyed the old system and had great gear and were a badass and all, but as has been said, there's nothing stopping you from getting newer, better loot and being an even bigger badass. And if you're concerned that it's all super easy to get, take a look at some of the raid loot and the requirements to get and upgrade it. That poo poo is pretty rough but the payoff is good.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
I still use my epic antique greataxes at cap. (I imagine the esos would probably be even better)

The big problem, as I see it, with the old epic items are that most of them are complete poo poo that aren't worth grinding. They weren't worth it under the old epic system and they still aren't worth it now. Nothing lost there really.

As for being easy to get, I've got a ton of the new items that I want to get but have never gotten to drop for me despite ransacking stuff.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Not to mention how often people are epic reincarnating from 28->20 so they can get those bonuses. Means all the old epic versions of gear are things people still actively want to have. You basically lose out on nothing and have an advantage over other people.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

And most of the items that are worthless 20-24 or 20-28 that are old epic items were trash when the system was new. A huge chunk of the items were nearly or completely useless and still took a huge amount of effort (and luck) to get. While I think the game could benefit from even more granular control of difficulty, it's overall a good thing and it was the standard for the first 3.5 years of the game to have 3 difficulties, so it was nice to see that return as well when we got actual epic levels, instead of faux epic quests.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DemonMage posted:

And most of the items that are worthless 20-24 or 20-28 that are old epic items were trash when the system was new. A huge chunk of the items were nearly or completely useless and still took a huge amount of effort (and luck) to get. While I think the game could benefit from even more granular control of difficulty, it's overall a good thing and it was the standard for the first 3.5 years of the game to have 3 difficulties, so it was nice to see that return as well when we got actual epic levels, instead of faux epic quests.

If the game went back to the scroll, shard, seal system I would probably give up playing. I have never managed to get all 3 parts and the item to actually assemble a single epic item and would not want to have to go back to playing that particular roulette. At least with the new raid your guaranteed to get some materials to go towards your new items.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah that's the nice thing about Shroud/new dragons and kind of Fall of Truth (CoHs), you're always getting something useful even if it's not a shiny new item. The downside is largely in how much it takes to make a single item, though you don't need nearly as many Thunderforged items as you did greensteel which is nice. And for the millionth time stop putting such high level requirements on poo poo =-(

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DemonMage posted:

Yeah that's the nice thing about Shroud/new dragons and kind of Fall of Truth (CoHs), you're always getting something useful even if it's not a shiny new item. The downside is largely in how much it takes to make a single item, though you don't need nearly as many Thunderforged items as you did greensteel which is nice. And for the millionth time stop putting such high level requirements on poo poo =-(

Yea, level requirements to do stuff is super dumb. I heard they were thinking of removing or at least lowering that stuff in the new patch though?

Edit: To hit a tier 3 item you need 1200 ingots. Thats probably the worst part of it.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 27, 2014

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I don't care about the level requirements to zone into places really, I just hate it being on equipment. A maxed out Thunderforged item is only usable at 28, and while the cap will be 30 by years end, that's still a lovely amount of time to grind out an item when you're ER/ITRing a lot. Even though 26-28 is the lovely part of epic leveling, you still don't get enough use out of level 26 items to justify grinding too hard for them.

But yes, they are letting you zone into any epic quests in a group as long as you're level 20. You just won't be able to get the quests themselves until you're high enough level to normally.

[Edit] You also need around 900 CoVs, which isn't a huge deal, but does suck if you're also trying to at least buy some of your hearts with CoVs.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DemonMage posted:

I don't care about the level requirements to zone into places really, I just hate it being on equipment. A maxed out Thunderforged item is only usable at 28, and while the cap will be 30 by years end, that's still a lovely amount of time to grind out an item when you're ER/ITRing a lot. Even though 26-28 is the lovely part of epic leveling, you still don't get enough use out of level 26 items to justify grinding too hard for them.

But yes, they are letting you zone into any epic quests in a group as long as you're level 20. You just won't be able to get the quests themselves until you're high enough level to normally.

[Edit] You also need around 900 CoVs, which isn't a huge deal, but does suck if you're also trying to at least buy some of your hearts with CoVs.

I'm mixed on equipment. Upgrading tiers of gear is not a big deal to me. I think the bigger problem is how epic elite items vs epic hard items make the higher power items often worthless because of the level increase.

The 900 CoV is pretty trivial to get if your doing a regular farm from level 20-28. I can usually get out 4200 comms to get the epic reincarnation so it would just delay me a bit and let me get in an extra raid or two.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I really liked the old s/s/s system and hope we get something similar with the level cap increase. You always got tokens so completions always gave something and it felt awesome when a certain shard or seal dropped for you. It's a shame Turbine is eroding the value of some of the old epic items though, would have been nice if they were mostly good until at least level 25 or so but they've generally been surpassed by easily obtainable stuff now.

DemonMage posted:

The worst thing about Shroud like content in going in knowing you'll have to complete it x times to get something out of it, I honestly never thought I'd ever get any CitW weapons fully upgraded because of the grind. Doing it a few times and getting the base item but still being 10 completions away at minimum from completing it is disheartening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.

Woden posted:

The worst thing about Shroud like content in going in knowing you'll have to complete it x times to get something out of it, I honestly never thought I'd ever get any CitW weapons fully upgraded because of the grind. Doing it a few times and getting the base item but still being 10 completions away at minimum from completing it is disheartening.

At least this way you are guaranteed to get something eventually. It took me probably 75 or more runs of the Reaver to get Madstone Boots. This is not hyperbole. A lot of raid items are like that, and you're playing a similar game with the old shards/seals/scrolls thing where you can run a quest dozens of times and never see the thing you need. I seriously do not understand the logic behind wanting items to be that random to get. It isn't even a challenge, it's simply doing the same thing over and over and over and praying to the RNG gods that this time will be the run that gets you your shiny loot. The best I can come up with is the mentality that "well I had to suffer to do this the hard way, so everyone should have to go through that." Or possibly feeling elitist because you managed to get a cool sword that almost no one has because it never drops. At any rate, it's bad game design and I'm glad that Turbine has moved onward to a different system, because gently caress the old epic loot system.

• Locked thread