Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Most important DS2 lore question:

Do Giants have eyes?

Which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So going through Huntsmans Copse and Earthen peak just feels so :effort: compared to Bastille and Heides, Old Dragonslayer, 3 Sentinals and all that were actually fun and challenging, I just rolled over Skeleton lords in 3 tries and Covetous Demon in 2. Skeleton Lords was only hard because of how lovely the targetting system is with multiple enemies, eventually I just put on a greatsword I was carrying around and swung it around in big arcs cutting everything down. The only reason Covetous got me once was because I didn't realise he was going to keep rolling over onto me.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Haeleus posted:

Since this is my first Dark Souls game I've really gotten the hang of it over the week (playing sword and board), I'm pleasantly surprised with the combat mechanisms so far. I did alright up to the Doors of Pharros, but god drat I cannot handle that giant rat, if I get poisoned by the adds I pretty much have to write-off that try. Guess I'll do a few more attempts tomorrow when the frustration's gone down.

I used a bow + fire arrows, killed the tiny rats before they could get me eventually, after a million tries. it's not a hard boss except for those assholes.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Rudager posted:

So going through Huntsmans Copse and Earthen peak just feels so :effort: compared to Bastille and Heides, Old Dragonslayer, 3 Sentinals and all that were actually fun and challenging, I just rolled over Skeleton lords in 3 tries and Covetous Demon in 2. Skeleton Lords was only hard because of how lovely the targetting system is with multiple enemies, eventually I just put on a greatsword I was carrying around and swung it around in big arcs cutting everything down. The only reason Covetous got me once was because I didn't realise he was going to keep rolling over onto me.

I bloody hate Bastille, so ugly. That and the gang bang enemies. I don't actually gave a problem with the bosses though. Always bring a friend.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I was pretty pissed that this game didn't have an equivalent of Paladin Leeroy's massive hammer of God, it was my favorite pvp weapon in DkS1. Then I realized it's basically what Velstadt uses, and you can trade in his boss soul for exactly that.

Only instead of a free, more powerful wrath of gods cast it's pretty much homing soulmass. Oh well. I just want something to justify a faith+strength character, a giant loving bell hammer sounds perfect.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

kazil posted:

This dumb fight is like 99% getting the small rats dead within the first 10 seconds without getting toxic. It's an optional fight, and in my opinion, not really worth it unless you want to ratbro.

Is there a shittier fight than Rat Authority? The hitbox on those ratdogs is really, really awkward

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bobnumerotres posted:

I was pretty pissed that this game didn't have an equivalent of Paladin Leeroy's massive hammer of God, it was my favorite pvp weapon in DkS1. Then I realized it's basically what Velstadt uses, and you can trade in his boss soul for exactly that.

Only instead of a free, more powerful wrath of gods cast it's pretty much homing soulmass. Oh well. I just want something to justify a faith+strength character, a giant loving bell hammer sounds perfect.

What magic being OP wasn't enough for you? Or the goddamn MLGS?

:colbert:

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Steam is back up in Alabama! :black101:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Also back up in east coast Australia

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Lori posted:

I have a shield that blocks all magic damage and I'm pretty sure I made someone cry because they couldn't spam magic and roll away from me for half an hour straight

I got that shield but enchanted for dark and oh my god, I looooove fighting pure hexers so much. Suddenly all their ridiculous hard-to-roll poo poo becomes a joke while you just sprint up to them and jam a longsword down their threat.

The best part is that it's a Greatshield so you don't even get guard broken when you're just blocking all the Pursuers and poo poo.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is there a bonfire other than the beginning of level one in Aldia's Keep?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Shindragon posted:

What magic being OP wasn't enough for you? Or the goddamn MLGS?

:colbert:

What? I'm a faith character. I attack with extreme prejudice and self-righteous rage. MLGS is pussy poo poo for the witch-hat wearing weirdos. I want to crush people with the fist of God.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Speaking of which, what ARE the good shields for magic damage? Fire and dark, while we're at it.

Stuff you've infused.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bobnumerotres posted:

What? I'm a faith character. I attack with extreme prejudice and self-righteous rage. MLGS is pussy poo poo for the witch-hat wearing weirdos. I want to crush people with the fist of God.

I can dig that. Nothing more better than flatting your enemies.

Kinda wish that we had the move sets those two guardians in the Crypt had.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Shindragon posted:

I can dig that. Nothing more better than flatting your enemies.

Kinda wish that we had the move sets those two guardians in the Crypt had.

Yeah, at least their armor is dope as hell.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Uh, am I doing something wrong or did something screw up? At the part where there's the petrified lady on the lever: I pulled the lever, cleared out the ambush, lit the bonfire. Steam went down just as I was going up the stairs to leave and the door closed. Now it won't open. Pulling the lever does nothing, reloading the area does nothing.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

Uh, am I doing something wrong or did something screw up? At the part where there's the petrified lady on the lever: I pulled the lever, cleared out the ambush, lit the bonfire. Steam went down just as I was going up the stairs to leave and the door closed. Now it won't open. Pulling the lever does nothing, reloading the area does nothing.

Teleport out of the area and back in to reload it then try pulling the lever. The doors take a while to open.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Why do you care? You lit the bonfire. Never go into that room again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bef posted:

Oh, I wouldn't know

Its been down for a while for me :shrug:

I really wish there was a way to quick chat on steam with people after pvp/coop, the only thing I miss from GFWL

See I go the opposite way and wish they'd go full on Journey with no names, no way to know who has entered your game. It'd fit the aesthetic they're going for a lot better than summoning white phantom DarthBallz or being invaded by John Stamos.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So about bernhart. How are you supposed to get him summoned three times? The wiki only lists his summon spots as before the last boss, before the congregation boss and before the looking glass knight. But if you summon him for the final boss how are you supposed to get his equipment?

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Nuebot posted:

So about bernhart. How are you supposed to get him summoned three times? The wiki only lists his summon spots as before the last boss, before the congregation boss and before the looking glass knight. But if you summon him for the final boss how are you supposed to get his equipment?

I don't know, but if you bonfire ascetic a boss you can summon Bernhardt multiple times for the one boss and have that count.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

NG+ Smelter loving sucks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Unlike other souls games, beating the final boss doesn't force you into NG+. You can start NG+ whenever you want at the Majula bonfire once you've beaten the game, so you have all the time in the world to run around doing every sidequest. (which is highly recommended because if you think some of the optional bosses are a pain in NG oh-ho-ho-ho you're in for a treat)

Unless you care about the achievement though it's best to just kill the dude. His sword's a fake and you can buy his armor from the raggedy lady with infinite lifegems.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 3, 2014

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Nuebot posted:

You don't instantly go to NG+ and I think he can be summoned for theGiant Lord.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Nuebot posted:

Go into the memory where he's chilling. That's the benhart you are suppose to talk to, not the one chilling outside. But if you meant, game is beaten it's over? Nah, this game doesn't go to NG+ immediately.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Oh okay so I can summon him for the last boss then just chat with him and get free poo poo? Awesome.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Does Carhillion ever sell more spells than what he starts out with? If not, where do you get the later game spells?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Does Carhillion ever sell more spells than what he starts out with? If not, where do you get the later game spells?

Allegedly some of these shitheads restock but it must be after you get all the lord souls or something.

I really want more darkstorm, it is my best friend.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I love that NPC phantoms are actually useful, if only because they now have absurd amounts of HP. Fighting the no-man's wharf boss (NG+), Mirrah was cornered getting slashed up constantly while I whaled on them from behind. She was hit enough to kill me ten times over and her health didn't drop below 2/3rds.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

keyframe posted:

Is there a bonfire other than the beginning of level one in Aldia's Keep?

There's an illusory wall halfway down the stairs to the acid pit.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there a guide somewhere matching soul memory to where you should lay down your white soap to be summoned? I have 1.3m but am having a hard time finding someone to bro it up with (don't have all 4 old souls yet).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ok, what's my noodle-armed hexer shithead gonna do about these minotaur dudes in the shaded ruins? The large club r2 isn't flattening them and it's taking 3 hits to kill one.

pmchem posted:

Is there a guide somewhere matching soul memory to where you should lay down your white soap to be summoned? I have 1.3m but am having a hard time finding someone to bro it up with (don't have all 4 old souls yet).

1.3m SM is ridiculously high. I'm stupid overleveled and barely have 850k. Your SM is so high that I'm pretty sure you can skip the lord souls and move on to the endgame if you wanted.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bobnumerotres posted:

Unlike other souls games, beating the final boss doesn't force you into NG+. You can start NG+ whenever you want at the Majula bonfire once you've beaten the game, so you have all the time in the world to run around doing every sidequest. (which is highly recommended because if you think some of the optional bosses are a pain in NG oh-ho-ho-ho you're in for a treat)

Unless you care about the achievement though it's best to just kill the dude. His sword's a fake and you can buy his armor from the raggedy lady with infinite lifegems.

How could you kill Benhart? He's such a friendly guy :smith:

dis astranagant posted:

Ok, what's my noodle-armed hexer shithead gonna do about these minotaur dudes in the shaded ruins? The large club r2 isn't flattening them and it's taking 3 hits to kill one.

They have literally one attack which is easy as hell to dodge. If you play safe they are at worst tedious to kill, but you shouldn't have any trouble actually beating them.

pmchem posted:

I think if your past 1 mil you're gonna have trouble being summoned for anything involving the 4 old ones. Not impossible, you'll probably be summoned once in awhile for the later areas, but I think most people have moved past the 4 old ones once they reach that soul memory.

Would be nice if sunbros could equip a special ring or something that keeps them from getting souls in coop. Kind of sucks that just by helping people a lot you inevitably push yourself beyond the range to keep helping others easily.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 3, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The petrified guy in Lost Bastille sells some more advanced spells in return for boss souls.

dis astranagant posted:

That was my thought in my first caster run until I realized, as mentioned, they have only a single attack that's easy to bait and dodge. And they're almost as easy to backstab. They're giant dicks to casters or people with infused weapons though since they have such high magical resist stats. Purely physical attacks melt them like nothing else.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

They have literally one attack which is easy as hell to dodge. If you play safe they are at worst tedious to kill, but you shouldn't have any trouble actually beating them.

It's mostly the 2 on 1 at the start of the zone that's giving me trouble because any hit from them means at least 3/4 of my health gone when the other follows.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

dis astranagant posted:

It's mostly the 2 on 1 at the start of the zone that's giving me trouble because any hit from them means at least 3/4 of my health gone when the other follows.

Sprint directly towards the closer one and backstab him fast.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dis astranagant posted:

I can see how that might be a problem since the giant club is pretty slow. Try backing off onto the bridge. They will both follow you but one tends to get stuck behind the other so they can't hit you easily. Worst comes to worse you could just blow a ton of spells killing one from a ranged distance safely.

PublicOpinion posted:

Or do this.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 3, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

He came to Majula to brag about his sword and kill things with his amazing sword. He's honorable I guess but he's a dick. So I crushed his skull in with the large club, didn't even get to finish his "What?!" line.

quote:

You can also sprint past all of them, since the area is open as poo poo and the boss is like right there. Those dudes have no business being so tough.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I guess I was just being twitchy and impatient, haven't swung a melee weapon in the last 10 hours of play or so and that was one that won't do much to this shitheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

1.3m SM is ridiculously high. I'm stupid overleveled and barely have 850k. Your SM is so high that I'm pretty sure you can skip the lord souls and move on to the endgame if you wanted.

yeah I'm around there with one old soul left and I've basically stopped caring about leveling up until NG+ because I'm already stupid strong for the regular game