Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This is a really fun game but I can't name a single character half as interesting as Siegmeyer or Solaire, nor can I think of a boss design half as cool as Nito. Please provide evidence to the contrary that isn't Gavlan if you can think of something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy gently caress. I'm at soul level 114 or so and am at SL 1.23 MILLION. I only have two of the greater souls. :stare: I guess that's what I get for Co-oping a lot and Bell-broing a lot, huh?

I assume that's ridiculously overleveled?

Edit: Oh my God I'm going to get ruined in PvP against reds and blues now, aren't I.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

net cafe scandal posted:

Soul memory is one, and a big one at that, not sure what else you're talking about chief

The limited number of crafting and consumables available to you until you unlock a blacksmith via an ember obtained much too far into the game.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Artificer posted:

Holy gently caress. I'm at soul level 114 or so and am at SL 1.23 MILLION. I only have two of the greater souls. :stare: I guess that's what I get for Co-oping a lot and Bell-broing a lot, huh?

I assume that's ridiculously overleveled?

Not really.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Is there any goon consensus (yeah right) on the most useful one handed mace in the game? Just the normal mace, or the morning star, etc?

I finished the game with a plain old Club+10 which attacks so fast and uses so little stamina I'm pretty sure it was the highest dps weapon I had. I'd throw in some Large Club+10 when I wanted to knock some fools down. S-level scaling with 40 STR is pretty nice.

On the "what's harder" front, I think the start of Dark Souls 2 is significantly harder than Dark Souls 1 -- the 50% max health factor of being hollow alone is absolutely brutal for the first few zones if you don't know what you're doing, and they throw in a few places (that first ladder climb up to the White Guy with the 3 dudes and a sniper, the ballista room just outside the Cardinal Tower shortcut, etc) that definitely felt more challenging than anything in early Dark Souls 1.

After you get over that hump, they feel pretty close to me.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Where do Bellbros usually spawn when they invade in Belfry Luna?

Also I think I'm going to pump faith for Lightning stuff now because screw trying to get a phantom to help me with the gargoyles, with the time it takes to clear and the fact Bellbros usually invade within a minute or two.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Stokes posted:

The limited number of crafting and consumables available to you until you unlock a blacksmith via an ember obtained much too far into the game.

Imo that's fine because it encourages people to try and pick up a bunch of different weps and not invest too heavily in babbys first heide sword, not sure why they made the actual workshop so obscure though. same with ornifex, not sure why anyone would think to depetrify some fucker lion. So I guess you're right.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Seriously though they need to loving patch in red eye orbs because having three entire covenants not loving function at all until you beat the game once is stupid as hell.

Thats really the only super angry thing I have to say about DS2 though.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Stokes posted:

I don't get how people are giving this game an A in accessibility. There are so many terrible game mechanics they added to stifle experimentation.

Basically I think its that there isn't a graveyard you can walk into and die in to weed out the idiots. After the first two zones (counting forest and heide's tower here) You're pretty much good to go and it opens up a bit.

Re:bellbroing, I got infinite hits at McDuff's and Sinners. Sinners in particular had me getting sucked back in as I was loading out of the previous one.

SynthOrange posted:

Rats! RAAATS!

Did you know that if you die a few seconds after killing a boss, you have to DO THE FIGHT ALL OVER AGAIN?

RAAAATS

Become hexer, get dark hail, use hex shotgun to rid yourself of pest problem.

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 3, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rats! RAAATS!

Did you know that if you die a few seconds after killing a boss, you have to DO THE FIGHT ALL OVER AGAIN?

RAAAATS

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Does your Covenant progress carry over from NG to NG+ and beyond?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Artificer posted:

Does your Covenant progress carry over from NG to NG+ and beyond?

Yes it does. No idea about intermediary points in the covenants, but your Ranks do.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

net cafe scandal posted:

This is a really fun game but I can't name a single character half as interesting as Siegmeyer or Solaire, nor can I think of a boss design half as cool as Nito. Please provide evidence to the contrary that isn't Gavlan if you can think of something

I'll give you that the characters in this game don't feel as enjoyable as they were in Dark Souls. I don't want to call them bad, because I don't think they are, but I never really look forward to meeting characters out in the world more than once because most of them are very cold and distant. Benhart is your only friendly traveling pal along the lines of Solaire and Sieg, and he doesn't show up much. Everyone else you meet one the road is very reserved which is definitely an intentional choice but not one I really enjoy. If Lucatiel had been interesting at all I probably wouldn't be bothered as much by it. As for Majula...I like talking to the cat :v: Also Saudlen is pretty nice which is rather unexpected given the tone of this game and him being the crestfallen warrior standin. Rosabeth is fun just because you can make her wear ridiculous clothing.

As for bosses, I liked plenty of them but I think that might just come down more to personal opinion.

EDIT: I wish I could kick the rear end in a top hat blacksmith out of Majula and replace him with Ornifex.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 3, 2014

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Rats! RAAATS!

RAAAATS

please do not invoke his lordships name in such a way

e: also yes i have learned this too

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I tried making The Monarch. I managed to get summoned by a guy named Rusty Venture to fight the Pursuer.

I just need a crown and a poison whip.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Imo that's fine because it encourages people to try and pick up a bunch of different weps and not invest too heavily in babbys first heide sword

Uh it does literally the exact opposite because people are naturally going to invest into babby's first sword and then babby's first sword winds being the only thing with any actual upgrades in it. When I'm drowning in Chunks and Slabs of all things and jonesing for loving shard drops 30-50% into the game there's a massive problem somewhere.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Man, that dude just making GBS threads there swaying and laughing by the Grave of Saints bonfire has to be the creepiest thing I've found so far.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Summoned Lucatiel for Smelter Demon. Stands outside the fog door the entire fight, and walks in just as I'm dying. So dumb.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey if I die as a phantom on a No Death run does it count against me?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

bef posted:

Hey if I die as a phantom on a No Death run does it count against me?

The wiki says yes.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hommando posted:

The wiki says yes.

:stonk: gently caress this is gonna be rough

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
There were a few bosses that were pretty cool. I liked Lost Sinner, Pursuer, the Chariot, and the rats. The problem isn't that they were any worse than DS1 dudes, its just that the formula for fighting them never really changed up from "roll when attacked, attack on opening, repeat". There weren't that many dudes that really changed up the way you approached them. There were not that many in DS1 or Demon Souls either, but after playing Demon Souks, DS1, and then this, it starts to be repetitive. Bit of a loss of an "oh poo poo" factor when you already know how you're going to fight the dude the moment you step into the arena.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Anyone here use Sunlight Spear in PvP or PvE? How does it fare? 55 faith, 2 slots for 3 uses seems like a hell of a lot of investment. Is it worth it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bef posted:

:stonk: gently caress this is gonna be rough

If I were you, just do the bare minimum to beat the game. You only need to kill 2 of the big baddie bosses to get through the Shrine of Winter, might as well make it the ones you find easiest.

edit: Disclaimer: I don't know if this is actually true or not because I've never tested it, but I've read it's a thing and so it is worth a try. Just drop by there when you have 2 big baddie souls and see if it opens.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

net cafe scandal posted:

This game needs a Marvellous Chester analogue. Straid is a smug rear end in a top hat, but Chester's assholishness was an art.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

There's no way to get to Belfry Sol without killing Smelter Demon, is there?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

This game needs a Marvellous Chester analogue. Straid is a smug rear end in a top hat, but Chester's assholishness was an art.

It's really startling watching someone play the Artorias DLC while playing DS2 and hearing Felkin or Wheelchair Guy or anyone who even mentions the ideas related to the DLC spout "I feel great Dark in you, Dark is calling, Dark Dark Dark Darkity Dark" non-stop. The writing in this game is real bad and that's not getting into lore or map design or anything like that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

EvilCornbread posted:

There's no way to get to Belfry Sol without killing Smelter Demon, is there?

Try ladders. There's a way to turn off the fire in the giant furnace in that area. You can then walk through it and find a ladder behind that structure.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Am I mistaken or are some chimes just hands down better than others? It isn't like a longsword that can be used and made comparable to later game straight swords. Some chimes just have better stats in every way than other chimes.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Try ladders. There's a way to turn off the fire in the giant furnace in that area. You can then walk through it and find a ladder behind that structure.

Ah, I thought access was behind that one-way door, but I guess that's just the post-Smelter bonfire.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there some trick to damaging the Pursuer in Iron Keep? I've tried a few different weapons but the most I was doing was around 270 per hit with a lightning bastard sword, it got so tedious repeating the dodge and hit the pursuer thing I eventually gave up.

270 a hit sounds pretty good, dunno about the dodging. I find you can just strafe counter-clockwise and you'll generally avoid the charge/slash and impale attacks. While dodging the 3rd strike of his 3 hit combos would be good too.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Has anyone here tried out the old leo ring in pvp? Seems like it could be good with a spear or lance but I'm not sure.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

CJacobs posted:

If I were you, just do the bare minimum to beat the game. You only need to kill 2 of the big baddie bosses to get through the Shrine of Winter, might as well make it the ones you find easiest.

edit: Disclaimer: I don't know if this is actually true or not because I've never tested it, but I've read it's a thing and so it is worth a try. Just drop by there when you have 2 big baddie souls and see if it opens.

Oh without a doubt. Not even going to test my luck against the Sentinels and whatnot. I'm pretty sure you need all 4 though, as I went back and forth on my 1st playthrough when I acquired the 2nd and 3rd boss soul.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there some trick to damaging the Pursuer in Iron Keep? I've tried a few different weapons but the most I was doing was around 270 per hit with a lightning bastard sword, it got so tedious repeating the dodge and hit the pursuer thing I eventually gave up.

You can roll through his attacks with relative ease. It's not that hard to roll out of range and run back in, either.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

There were a few bosses that were pretty cool. I liked Lost Sinner, Pursuer, the Chariot, and the rats. The problem isn't that they were any worse than DS1 dudes, its just that the formula for fighting them never really changed up from "roll when attacked, attack on opening, repeat". There weren't that many dudes that really changed up the way you approached them. There were not that many in DS1 or Demon Souls either, but after playing Demon Souks, DS1, and then this, it starts to be repetitive. Bit of a loss of an "oh poo poo" factor when you already know how you're going to fight the dude the moment you step into the arena.

I'd argue that the game did change things up a bit with a couple bosses, where the primary tactic wasn't really to roll through everything they do but rather to just sprint the gently caress away half the time, both as a good thing (Darklurker in melee, Throne Watcher & Defender, Demon of Song,) and to its absolute detriment (Ancient Dragon.) But yes, the game's boss design has been getting a little stale if you've played all three games back-to-back. Well-designed or not, there's only so many pseudo-duel bosses where timing and knowledge is everything until it gets a little tired.

The Executioner's Chariot is probably one of my favorite bosses in the series now, too. Now that's a puzzle boss actually supported by this series' design.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

So, I'm pretty much burned out on this game already. Played hundreds of hours of DkS1, successfully avoided spoilers until PC release of DkS2 so I could do a blind playthrough, and was really excited for it.

But now I've killed no less than eight bosses that all required the same strategy of "circle-strafe around their crotch, don't wiff any dodges or they'll two-shot you". And with the new features of death reducing your max hp and weapons having gently caress-all durability, working through new areas is a painful slog unless I just run past everything.

After (apparently) beating one of the four big bads, I asked my friend if the pace picks up at all. He said there's another twenty or so bosses to go. :smithicide:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The mages in Shrine of Anime are bad, but jesus gently caress the npc invader that spawns in after the 2nd bonfire :stonk:

I think it ignores movement reduction in water and spams strong magic attacks, and has a shield. Blocks then rolls away whenever I try to attack then jizzes magic nukes into my face, and does the same when I try and get back onto ground so I can dodge their magic.

e: Yes I am using a bow for the other mages. They're just tedious.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 3, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Welp, back to seeing nothing for pvp. Maybe Saturday will have some stuff going.

quote:

Am I mistaken or are some chimes just hands down better than others? It isn't like a longsword that can be used and made comparable to later game straight swords. Some chimes just have better stats in every way than other chimes.

This is true with some staves too.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Ignimbrite posted:

The mages in Shrine of Anime are bad, but jesus gently caress the npc invader that spawns in after the 2nd bonfire :stonk:

I think it ignores movement reduction in water and spams strong magic attacks, and has a shield. Blocks then rolls away whenever I try to attack then jizzes magic nukes into my face, and does the same when I try and get back onto ground so I can dodge their magic.
Ahaha, yeah I got there for the first time today. I died to him more than the boss. Dude has a ton of health, always blocks when you get near, and since kick has been replaced with a useless attack that wont work on anyone that is backing away from you I was having a hard time getting hits on him at all. Eventually I had him backing to an edge and knocked him off a cliff while he was still blocking.

Of all the NPC invaders I've encountered so far, he's the only one that's forced me to fight him with a bunch of enemies still on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Why do people call them "Bellbros"

They aren't your bros. They want to kill you. Sunbros are sunbros because they want to help you.