Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Started reading Vinland, but a bit dissappointed. I know it's a japanese comic, but why it has to be so.. anime?

I mean it has so much of anime tropes and it's super cartoony, with the frank noble being a weird frog toad in the first story and Thorfinn's dad defeating twenty armed warriors unarmed with jujutsu moves. It might as well be any kind of fantasy land, instead of being more or less historic. I don't like Game of Thrones that much, but it really feels the series captures the mentality of middle ages pretty well, with horrible violent assholes and treating women and peasents like dirt.

Are any other historic comics more historical?

Here's why: Vinland Saga's early parts (the first six months) were serialized in a weekly Shonen magazine, so it had some themes that it was expected to keep and it kept up on it.

After that point it moved to a monthly Seinen magazine and changed tone accordingly. It calms down a bit. If you want to get in on that, just keep reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Puukko naamassa posted:

Well, have you checked out Historie already? There's a good summary of it in the OP, and I'd say it's a lot more historically accurate than Vinland Saga. Of course Iwaaki still takes some liberties with history, some of them good (we don't know very much about the life of Eumenes so Iwaaki is free to fill in the gaps with some interesting stuff), some not so good (without going too much into spoiler territory, personally I'm not too keen on how he's handled Hephaestion).
I also don't really like how perfect they make Eumenes seem like. Though I wish they came out with more, because that period of time is just so fascinating with such great players like Philip II and Alexander. I kind of hope they reach the end of Eumenes life even though its really depressing

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

ManOfTheYear posted:

Started reading Vinland, but a bit dissappointed. I know it's a japanese comic, but why it has to be so.. anime?

I mean it has so much of anime tropes and it's super cartoony, with the frank noble being a weird frog toad in the first story and Thorfinn's dad defeating twenty armed warriors unarmed with jujutsu moves. It might as well be any kind of fantasy land, instead of being more or less historic. I don't like Game of Thrones that much, but it really feels the series captures the mentality of middle ages pretty well, with horrible violent assholes and treating women and peasents like dirt.

Are any other historic comics more historical?

Chapter 35, page 15. Keep reading until at least that page.

edit: Also, yeah, the series shifts in tone again later on, and becomes much more somber. Chapter 55 on is practically a completely different series.

Fuckshoes fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 25, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Vinland Saga is only REALLY shounen-y in the first few chapters though, it bucks it quick even in the midst of Thorfinn's Knife Adventures what since his first adventure in England is "I got a whole bunch of people murdered!!!"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

German Joey posted:

"UGHHH, this is truely something aweful... Why the gently caress did they have to put so much gaddamn ANIME in this here MANGA ??!!?!?" - an actual, literal, and even common complaint by Goons.

Yeah it's kinda stupid. It's got a few shounen tropes early but I mean, it's not in a highschool, it's not in japan, there aren't any harems, no giant robots, no super moves

coathat
May 21, 2007

Zorak posted:

Vinland Saga is only REALLY shounen-y in the first few chapters though, it bucks it quick even in the midst of Thorfinn's Knife Adventures what since his first adventure in England is "I got a whole bunch of people murdered!!!"

Well the last big thing that happened was Thorfin getting punched in the face 100 times and then giving a big speech that changed everybody's mind. So it really hasn't changed that much.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

coathat posted:

Well the last big thing that happened was Thorfin getting punched in the face 100 times and then giving a big speech that changed everybody's mind. So it really hasn't changed that much.

IIRC didn't it only convince Cnut, cause Thorfinn understood what he was going through? The being punched in the face just got him to Cnut.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

coathat posted:

It didn't change canutes mind

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

German Joey posted:

"UGHHH, this is truely something aweful... Why the gently caress did they have to put so much gaddamn ANIME in this here MANGA ??!!?!?" - an actual, literal, and even common complaint by Goons.

Yeah, I know it sounds - and is - pretty stupid. If a piece of work is part of a certain genre and it has that genre's tropes, there should be no right to complain. What I meant here was that if it's supposed to be historical manga, it should be more true to the time it's set, like having the characters think, talk and function like people did in that culture, not have the same storytelling methods as Naruto has.

I may be alone in this, but when the story is supposed to be historical and is set in real places, events and battles with characters being historical people, it feels pretty bad for the story to be some light action-y entertainment. Like, people actually did lose their lives and homes and so on and making that anime or Hollywood schlock just feels inappropriate. I don't care how violent and horrible the stuff is as long at it's clearly fiction, but if it's supposed to be historical, that's a no go. Either go 12 years a slave or don't touch the stuff.

Fuckshoes posted:

Chapter 35, page 15. Keep reading until at least that page.

Okay, I'll stick with it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ManOfTheYear posted:

Yeah, I know it sounds - and is - pretty stupid. If a piece of work is part of a certain genre and it has that genre's tropes, there should be no right to complain. What I meant here was that if it's supposed to be historical manga, it should be more true to the time it's set, like having the characters think, talk and function like people did in that culture, not have the same storytelling methods as Naruto has.

I may be alone in this, but when the story is supposed to be historical and is set in real places, events and battles with characters being historical people, it feels pretty bad for the story to be some light action-y entertainment. Like, people actually did lose their lives and homes and so on and making that anime or Hollywood schlock just feels inappropriate. I don't care how violent and horrible the stuff is as long at it's clearly fiction, but if it's supposed to be historical, that's a no go. Either go 12 years a slave or don't touch the stuff.

Have you ever read an actual history or saga? Even "enlightened" and "civilized" cultures like Byzantium come up with total horseshit accounts. In the Alexiad which is written by a Byzantine princess about her father fighting invaders; usurping the throne and ruling prior and after the first Crusade, has an account where he loving has his horse leap up something like a 20 foot tall boulder and scoot away. Another segment talks about his brother leading an army and from her account gets hit with what across as a hurricane that floods a nearby river so much that he practically is the second coming of Noah.

The real deal sagas are full of exaggerated feats and totally implausible events. Vinland Saga is supposed to be both parts impossible and real, it's emulating the source material.

Just look at this passage where Alexius gets speared directly in the chest during a night battle

quote:

During this time, a Frank, belonging to the Domestic's troops, and, to make a long story short, a brave soldier, instinct with the spirit of Ares, noticed my father coming out from the enemy's centre, bare sword in hand, all smoking with blood, and took him for one of the enemy. In a trice he fell upon him, knocked him on the chest with his spear, and was within an ace of hurling the General off his horse, had the General not seated himself more firmly, and addressed the soldier by name, and threatened to cut off his head with his sword. However, the Frank, by pleading his want of recognition, and the confusion consequent upon a night-battle, was allowed to remain among the living!

:allears: So brave and so perfect, I'm sure he wasn't winded or anything!

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 25, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Uhh I'm pretty sure it's historical fact that Ramses the Great slew all the fukken Hittites, down to the last man, alone, at the Battle of Kadesh

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

How far have you even gotten in Vinland Saga?

I don't really understand what you're looking for in a story. As far as I know, there aren't any examples of historical fiction that go as far as to perfectly simulate a different time period's culture. If anything, that would impede an artist's attempt to tell a story, to force an alien perspective on themselves like that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

How far have you even gotten in Vinland Saga?

I don't really understand what you're looking for in a story. As far as I know, there aren't any examples of historical fiction that go as far as to perfectly simulate a different time period's culture. If anything, that would impede an artist's attempt to tell a story, to force an alien perspective on themselves like that.
Aubrey/Maturin if famous for this and extremely good.

For more accessible works: Otoyomegatari comes pretty close, and is even in the thread title.

I still think the problem got more to do with hype then anything else. The first chapters of Vinland just don't live up to reviews written by fans of the Knut/Framland arc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I kind of wish Vinland Saga hadn't taken a turn for the pacificistic. Its not that surprising considering Planetes but it was nice seeing the same person change genre so drastically

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I dunno I really like that change in pace. It reflects the theme that the story was telling from the beginning and it's nice to see a protagonist who actually properly is a pacifist.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Welp, continued reading Vinland, and you guys are right, poo poo's pretty good. I like the farming though, I find it more interesting than all the fighting and scheming for the crown.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Gunka no Balzar

Hahahahha oh my god I never thought they'd actually take on the biggest threat to the military since the dawn of time... VDs contracted from prostitutes.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

God this manga is great

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

10/10 Baltzar, you're fantastic.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's kinda sad that after dragging my feet on starting that manga forever it's a dude getting mad at people bathing in mercury to treat syphillis that gets me to pick it up. :v:

This month's Vinland was nice. Still getting used to not-beat-the-hell-up-dirty-as-gently caress Thorfinn. I'm glad to see that Sigurd isn't a totally bad sort, despite his ratty looks. Still getting bad vibes from Halfdan though. Gudrid is cool but I'll need a few more chapters to warm up to her, since she's clearly intended to be Thorfinn's love interest.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I ended up reading all of Vinland and it became so much better than I would have expected. It dropped almost all of the anime tropes really quick and started to find it own voice and became - in my eyes - "a real" story. The art became gorgeous too.

Great stuff.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Latest Vinland chapter is out.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I really cannot get used to Thorfinn's new look. I just assume it's some character I don't know.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Thorfinn's developing his harem I see.

Would it be so much to ask that instead of "I am son of Thors" they just did Thorsson?

Edit: Going back and reading chapter 4, Halfdan is a super dick. Is Thorfinn going to stage a pacifist slave revolt?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 29, 2014

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So after Violence Saga and Farmland Saga, the series has turned into Harem Saga?

And where the gently caress is Thorfinn?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

PFlats posted:

I really cannot get used to Thorfinn's new look. I just assume it's some character I don't know.
Oh God, I'm not alone.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
To be fair, that was my first reaction when he transitioned into Farm saga too in terms of his looks. Part of it is that his eyes are so much more bright, which is nice.

e: I have to wonder how weird it is for Thorfinn's friends and family to get involved with him in high volatile situations that, even though he's a pacifist now, he's competent and experienced enough to probably take on basically anyone on the island. I mean, these are local militias that have never seen action, while Thorfinn lived on the battlefield for over a decade.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 29, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Knitted Art posted:

New Gunka no Balzar

Hahahahha oh my god I never thought they'd actually take on the biggest threat to the military since the dawn of time... VDs contracted from prostitutes.

Baltzar/Balzer/Whateverzer is the best.

I just really wish they'd release it faster. If they're working from the tankobons why not just do the chapters in each one in one go or something instead of taking a year to do five and a half chapters from the same volume? Which I guess sounds whiny but whatever, it's my favorite series and I just want to read it faster!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

PFlats posted:

This made me laugh at the note at the bottom of page 9.

Re-reading chapter 4 was nice as well. A good number of call forwards. Also, I'm not sure I'd call Halfdan a super-dick in that chapter. A thoroughly unpleasant man but to me not for the sake of it which dickishness implies to me, but yes, semantics. Talking of Harem Saga, I like the way the interaction with that slave girl reminds me of the bit where he chats with the slave girl at a dock near the start of the manga. [edit] Here. I do prefer reading it on a big screen but a paper version is handy to flick though.

Other aside, did it ever get explained why Floki had it in for Thors? I can't remember.

Munin fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 30, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Given that Thors leaving the Jomsvikings was a huge deal punishable by death how did Thorkell just up and leave as he did. I mean, yeah Thorkell would probably single handedly kill an entire army that tried to enforce such a thing but so could Thors for that matter.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

YouTuber posted:

Given that Thors leaving the Jomsvikings was a huge deal punishable by death how did Thorkell just up and leave as he did. I mean, yeah Thorkell would probably single handedly kill an entire army that tried to enforce such a thing but so could Thors for that matter.

From what is implied in the manga the head of the Jomsvikings had a soft spot for him. One which Floki, his possible rival, did not entirely appreciate. Hence why he might have been most galled to be sent off to the rear end end of nowhere to deliver the invite to the prodical son. This leading him to hire Askellad since he wasn't looking forward to playing second fiddle upon Thors' return. This is not even going into the repeated mentions of Thors being a legend amongst the Jomsvikings. This is all speculation though hence I was curious if that back story was ever clarified.

I wonder if "Doughter of the Squadron Chief" actually meant "Daughter of the (possibly future) head of the Jomsvikings.

In any case, with various hints and allusions I'm pretty sure Thors' early life would have made a great shounen manga.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The volume 3 Vinland Saga omnibus is out in the US, and it's pretty great. Volumes 1-3 cover all the way up to the end of Thorfinn & Askeladd's last fight and Canute's resolution to kill Sweyn and take over the kingdom.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Apparently the person that was scanlating Gisele Alain decided to get out of the scanlation game a few weeks back. Hopefully someone eventually picks it back up.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Finished reading what was scanlated of Gunka no Baltzar, moving on to the raws.

It's sorta strange. I enjoy the manga a lot, but at the same time, I feel that Baltzar/Balzer/whatever himself is a bit strange. It feels to me sort of like he doesn't actually have a defined personality or character, or that he does but it changes as needed according to the demands of the plot in any given scene or chapter. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Finished reading what was scanlated of Gunka no Baltzar, moving on to the raws.

It's sorta strange. I enjoy the manga a lot, but at the same time, I feel that Baltzar/Balzer/whatever himself is a bit strange. It feels to me sort of like he doesn't actually have a defined personality or character, or that he does but it changes as needed according to the demands of the plot in any given scene or chapter. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I get the impression that Baltzar is actually kind of a bad person and him/the series tends to paint anti-military/war interests in a negative light, but I still enjoy reading it regardless just because the setting is really unique and interesting.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
How is the Kingdom anime? Appropriately action-y? Not talkative?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Munin posted:

Talking of Harem Saga, I like the way the interaction with that slave girl reminds me of the bit where he chats with the slave girl at a dock near the start of the manga. [edit] Here. I do prefer reading it on a big screen but a paper version is handy to flick though.
I came here thinking it was the same character, only older. A slave that looks very similar.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 3, 2014

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Susano-maku da! posted:

How is the Kingdom anime? Appropriately action-y? Not talkative?

Well, a quick look and the words "pretty long" come to mind. There's 39 episodes in season 1 alone.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

I get the impression that Baltzar is actually kind of a bad person and him/the series tends to paint anti-military/war interests in a negative light, but I still enjoy reading it regardless just because the setting is really unique and interesting.

You're viewing it backwards. At that timeframe being anti-military/war was an aberration. Just read some of the bullshit American novels from that time period with soldiers getting shot in the head while carrying the American flag and they die in such a manner that the flag never touches the ground. Your viewpoint is a post World War 1 outlook. World War 1 ripped all that bullshit out by the root then burned it and salted the earth. Teddy Roosevelt probably personifies that outlook to the T in his memoirs. It wasn't until World War 1 that even he was shell shocked out of his stupor when his son was killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Blinks77 posted:

Well, a quick look and the words "pretty long" come to mind. There's 39 episodes in season 1 alone.
That's covering about 260 chapters though, so the pacing is probably pretty good.

EDIT: Wait, that was the end of season 2, and both seasons are ~39 episodes. So maybe not that good. Reading would certainly be faster.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 3, 2014