Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Candorville It sure ain't this poo poo.

blah de blah de blah.

Hilary Clinton being the Dem nominee for the next cycle is indeed patently obvious, but you know what?

The next cycle is loving TWO YEARS FROM NOW! We haven't even hit Obama's final midterm elections yet! For gently caress's sake, everyone is already sick of how much election cycle we go through in this country, don't try to loving speed it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I don't know what's bothering me most about this one. Is it the terrible drama? The terrible... joke? at the end to lighten the mood? That it's in loving Nancy?

The answer is all of the above and more. Stop ruining Nancy with this loving tripe, Gilchrist. Phil Fumble doesn't need a loving tragic backstory and biceps the size of my head. Sluggo doesn't need a tragic backstory and a desire to pull himself up by his bootstraps. The comic doesn't need drama, it doesn't need memorial strips to every dead country musician or to every dead movie star from the '50's. Most of all, it sure as gently caress doesn't need you.

Jesus I am getting angry about newspaper comics.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ComradeCosmobot posted:

RIP Poncho (Raisins are poisonous for dogs)

Have you been following this story line at all?

Poncho is hardly a dog. Weird Dog/cat hybrid at best.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's amazing how quickly I get angry about Nancy. It's like an allergic reaction. It's not even funny how bad it is.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Remember when it used to be a funny strip about a velcro-haired girl?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The Amazingly Well-Endowed Spider-Man

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Ziggy

The Fusco Brothers

Herman

These seem kind of tasteless to me. Syndicated cartoons really are going downhill.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress you too Ziggy t:mad:t

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's kind of a dick move to make your son earn the money to buy your wife a present from you. I'm just not sure which of the two it's a bigger dick move towards.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What he should have done was not give the kid a dime, go out and buy the same present he was going to anyway, and say it's from both of them. Mom gets to be proud of the kid, the kid gets to give a bigger present then he could ever afford on his own, he gets to be a huge rear end in a top hat to both of them and neither of them are allowed to get mad about it. Incognito Comix.

Pooch Café

Hey, if you don't stop flopping around like that you're going back in the water. ...That's better.

Ballard Street

He looks less like he's trying to hide and more like he happened to already be in that shrub and is now falling out of it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Opus got out just in time to avoid this story-line.

It would be red, right?

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's Believe It Or Not

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I really despise Candorville, it's one of the worst comics posted here not because it's a creepy fetish strip like Holbrook and Brooke's poo poo or destroying a national treasure strip by strip like Gilchrist is doing to Nancy, but because it's wordy as gently caress, the art is lazy clip art and none of the paper thin characters are likeable.

If I couldn't post Cul De Sac and The Creeps, I wouldn't post Candorville, or Broom Hilda, but let's face it, it's just more grist for the mill, maybe you guys can get some comedy fodder out of them and make these sow's ears into purses.

Cul-de-sac is itself a buried treasure.

Candorville Ugh.

Christ, all that loving monologue. And what kinda weak as gently caress joke is that? gently caress you, Bell. Bell-end.

Broom Hilda Well, at least that tree in the second panel is nice.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (February 12, 1927)

Peanuts (May 6, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean has been listening to the "wrap it up" music all week but wasn't about to leave the stage, because y'all, I gotta finish.

"It's amazing that Plantman would tell you that! And the footage of him will be great in your documentary!" Jess, remembering that she put away her cheap video camera in one of the many ill-advised outbursts that have defined her career and her life, gets an unbearable lost look in her eye. Darin's been here before and says nothing.

Four straight days of nothing but Barbie prattle forces me to see the appeal of Bratz.

It took paying for another man's lunch to do it, but finally Popeye snaps out of it.

Rip Haywire

Pogo (May 5, 1956)

Droodles (May 5, 1956)

Out Our Way

The lighter side of fratricide!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Zits

Why isn't he wearing a mask?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Nice heart shirt.

Retail

On the other hand, no one is at all surprised that Cooper still works here.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

You'll have to settle for chariot racing

Dustin

Wait so Dustin actually did get her that coffee?

On the Fastrack

Why just piercing ornaments? Why not clothes?

Safe Havens

That your son actually likes you enough that that was motivator?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Huh, I wouldn't have expected that choice of vehicle.

Buz Sawyer

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Because she's been rubbing flowers all over her vagina. I mean do YOU see any visible piercings?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Now I've gotten the impression that the US is some kind of backwater third world country, but is it still common that you have to pick up your paycheck physically instead of just having it transferred to your bank account? Or is it just there for a lovely joke?

BTW does anyone have a link to an archive for Vainamoinen Returns? or however it was spelled.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hel posted:

Now I've gotten the impression that the US is some kind of backwater third world country, but is it still common that you have to pick up your paycheck physically instead of just having it transferred to your bank account? Or is it just there for a lovely joke?

BTW does anyone have a link to an archive for Vainamoinen Returns? or however it was spelled.

lovely joke. Hell, some places with lots of employees prefer/basically force direct deposit because it cuts down on their work.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Hel posted:

Some people don't have checking accounts, usually because of bad credit, so they can't do direct deposit. So you either get a check, or in some companies they give you a prepaid debit card that they load up with your check. Companies have gotten in trouble for that though due to fees that the employees can't avoid.

I also once worked in a really small company where the boss refused to do direct deposit because he liked signing and handing over the check. I think it was just some kind of power display or something.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Because goth has characteristics.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A flat tire! And a full-size spare RIGHT THERE ON THE BACK!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

It took paying for another man's lunch to do it, but finally Popeye snaps out of it.

Oh my god, we don't get to find out what his name is? :argh:

Shugojin posted:

lovely joke. Hell, some places with lots of employees prefer/basically force direct deposit because it cuts down on their work.

You say that, but...

TVs Ian posted:

Some people don't have checking accounts, usually because of bad credit, so they can't do direct deposit. So you either get a check, or in some companies they give you a prepaid debit card that they load up with your check. Companies have gotten in trouble for that though due to fees that the employees can't avoid.

I also once worked in a really small company where the boss refused to do direct deposit because he liked signing and handing over the check. I think it was just some kind of power display or something.

I have a savings account that I can use for direct deposits, direct debits, a debit card (that businesses can charge as a credit card) and bank cheques and the only fees I pay are if I use another bank's ATMs, in which case it's that other bank charging me the fee. I've asked about it and I'm still not really sure what a "checking account" is. It seems like in America you have to pay just to have a normal bank account, which is crazy.

Allen Wren posted:

A flat tire! And a full-size spare RIGHT THERE ON THE BACK!

Did you forget about the bear?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Spanish Matlock posted:

Because she's been rubbing flowers all over her vagina. I mean do YOU see any visible piercings?

Admittedly, with the art style and typical size of comics in newspapers these days, piercings would be difficult to render on Dethany in anything other than an extreme close up and not look like poo poo. Also vagina flowers. I bet she's an O'keefe fan at heart.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Did you forget about the bear?

I admit I haven't been reading closely, I thought there was time between flat tire and bear.

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.
Herman

These seem kind of tasteless to me. Syndicated cartoons really are going downhill.
[/quote]

I love an edit that makes me go look up the original.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

What?

Heavenly Nostrils

These are new I think. I don't remember this one.

9 Chickweed Lane 5/3/2003

This is good, Brooke. One of my cats does this when you shake a plastic bag. No, I don't know why either. The other two look at me, like, "what the hell's your problem?".

Zits

GAAAAA! :argh: Mister Kingdom! You guys are trolling me, right?

Ok fine, just because my wife and I stayed up until 1:30am and watched "Casablanca", and drank an entire bottle of chianti, and I'm late... :v:

[boxxy]Troooolllll... you be troooollinnnn..[/boxxy]

Kevin & Kell

Christ this is bad.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Christ this is bad.

I think the worst part of Kevin & Kell is the lack of internal consistency in its stupid world. Why would the tree be written off as a loss if fixing the beetle issue is as simple as calling up some insectivores to eat the beetles? Why wouldn't calling up some insectivores be the first response to learning about the beetles? Shouldn't that be cornerstone of pest extermination in this world, just insectivores eating the loving pests? Agh, you're annoying Holbrook.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 5/3/2003

This is good, Brooke. One of my cats does this when you shake a plastic bag. No, I don't know why either. The other two look at me, like, "what the hell's your problem?".

Cats are insane. A friend of my mom's has a cat who when younger, if you put a paper bag on the floor, would just sort of magically appear from nowhere and come barreling into the thing full speed. :iiam:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

Zits

Why isn't he wearing a mask?

At first glance I thought they were in their basement and thought Walt was acting like the dad from that one Far Side.

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Tiggum posted:

I have a savings account that I can use for direct deposits, direct debits, a debit card (that businesses can charge as a credit card) and bank cheques and the only fees I pay are if I use another bank's ATMs, in which case it's that other bank charging me the fee. I've asked about it and I'm still not really sure what a "checking account" is. It seems like in America you have to pay just to have a normal bank account, which is crazy.
Generally with a savings account, you can only take money in and out through the bank, or transfer it to your other accounts. A checking account lets you get the debit card, checks, direct deposit, etc. There can be fees involved, usually if you keep a low balance or to get actual paper checks, some banks charge a lot of little fees for other stuff. The main reason you can't get a checking account with bad credit is so the banks don't get screwed if you overdraft. That's not an issue with a savings account.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TVs Ian posted:

Generally with a savings account, you can only take money in and out through the bank, or transfer it to your other accounts. A checking account lets you get the debit card, checks, direct deposit, etc. There can be fees involved, usually if you keep a low balance or to get actual paper checks, some banks charge a lot of little fees for other stuff. The main reason you can't get a checking account with bad credit is so the banks don't get screwed if you overdraft. That's not an issue with a savings account.

Wait you can't get a bank account if you have a bad credit rating? Even one without any credit? Oh, it's the overdraft, most accounts here don't allow overdrafts at all so that isn't an issue.

IIRC here in Sweden we legislated that you should be able to take out your money without the banks taking a fee, which means no monthly cost for accounts and no cost for ATM and other withdrawals, paying bills is also free, but internet shopping and ATM cards have yearly costs(~20€/yr each). Of course if you're a student or below 21 years old they'll probably waive most/all fees. AFAIK the only difference between savings and non-savings accounts is the interest. Also no one uses paper checks at all.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Tiggum posted:

Savings accounts aren't really meant to have money drawn from them regularly. Sometimes they have higher interest rates and are less likely to have fees associated with them, but you don't get checks or debit cards that draft from them (often called "check cards" here, though that's becoming outdated). Checking accounts are specifically meant just to be a place to hold your money, have lower interest rates, sometimes have fees associated with them if your credit was bad/nonexistant, but the advantage is you can draft money out of them pretty easily.

I have two savings accounts, neither of which I can access from an ATM. They both have higher interest rates than my checking account, but the checking account can be accessed from ATMs and my debit card is backed by Mastercard and useful anywhere that takes MC. No fees because when I opened them I had okay credit and fulfilled somewhat sizable minimum opening deposits. The account I had in college would charge a monthly fee so that, even if I overdrafted, they were making money off me the whole time to make up for it.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

In case you didn't already pre-order it (for shame!), the Complete Cul De Sac is out in three days!

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Hel posted:

AFAIK the only difference between savings and non-savings accounts is the interest.

That's the way I've always thought it worked. When I moved to the USA the main reason I couldn't figure out the difference is that it's pretty much impossible to earn any significant amount of interest on any type of bank account here - if you have more than $10,000 to dump in a long-term savings account you might even be able to earn 0.1% on it. :what: Stupid economy. At the same time I was getting 6.75% on my savings account back home in New Zealand and under those circumstances it's worthwhile to have a separate savings account. Here, not so much.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
For dinner he's enjoying corn, a pile of salt, and a small puddle of motor oil.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Elysiume posted:

For dinner he's enjoying corn, a pile of salt, and a small puddle of motor oil.

He's over for dinner at Mary Worth's house. Beige blobs for everyone!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Forktoss posted:

He's over for dinner at Mary Worth's house. Beige blobs for everyone!

Except Wilbur. Wilbur is too good for beige blobs.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Shugojin posted:

Except Wilbur. Wilbur is too good for beige blobs.

He gets a white rectangle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Literally the only reason I've ever heard why ghost could possibly exist that has made the slightest sense at all.

• Locked thread