Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
In my Warlock fort I finally got around to buying a Grimeling - and it made a beeline for the well, dove in, and is chilling at the bottom. What the gently caress Grimelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So, I have played for a good while now, but I never really dug into the buisness of lava (pun not intended).

How can I safely make a tunnel to guide the lava under my furnaces etc? How can I minimize the danger of lava creatures?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So, what are some good LP's of DF, ideally with a decent facelift? Aside from the classic of Boatmurder.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Michaellaneous posted:

So, I have played for a good while now, but I never really dug into the buisness of lava (pun not intended).

How can I safely make a tunnel to guide the lava under my furnaces etc? How can I minimize the danger of lava creatures?

Lava isn't so bad. Lava in Minecraft is considerably more deadly than DF lava, as a comparison.

The best means to control magma is to pump it wherever you want to with magma-safe pumps. Although even non-safe pumps will work for a little bit. Making your forges and smelters down at magma level is a start, but the traveling will eat up a lot of your dwarves' efficiency. Ideally find a lava tube in an underground cave and pump up from there.

Minimize the risk of lava creatures using pump stacks, sealed off from the dwarf travel routes. Also, install gratings over the intake "side" of your magma pumps. Apparently grates cannot be destroyed from below. The less your dwarves are around a source of lava/magma, the better off they will be.

Using magma forges, smelters, kilns, and glass furnaces will save you tons of fuel.

Oh, also, if you are building the mentioned workshops, be certain to block/seal over the floor square open to the magma with a solid (non-navigable) part of the workshop to prevent any "fun" in the busy work areas.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Also if you are playing Masterwork, you can use the Alchemy workshop to make magmalings that will just spawn magma for you.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

So, what are some good LP's of DF, ideally with a decent facelift? Aside from the classic of Boatmurder.

Bronzemurder is good (and nicely illustrated).

http://bronzemurder.timdenee.com/

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Jesus it's been nearly two years since the last update. The last time I checked this thread was six months ago after I said "It's been six months, surely a new version has been released"

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Michaellaneous posted:

So, yeah, you can use lava pumps. Or you can channel out a network you want the lava to flow through, tunnel to one square away from the lava, and then send some reasonably spare idiot to turn the wall into fortifications. S/he's got a chance of survival, and while the lava will come through the arrow slits, critters won't. This has the benefit of being much quicker and simpler than pumps, and only moderately lethal.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I don't think fortifications are impassable when they're completely (7/7) covered in liquid. You could in any case ensure the survival of the miner by making the last tile before you hit lava a diagonal channel and putting in a floodgate (and build a fortification next to the floodgate after you close it).

Grates/bars are still impassable I think, but vulnerable to building destroyers. Best to just fill up a reservoir with what you need, and then close access from the outside with a floodgate.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

You've read Bravemule, I assume?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Ghostwoods posted:

So, yeah, you can use lava pumps. Or you can channel out a network you want the lava to flow through, tunnel to one square away from the lava, and then send some reasonably spare idiot to turn the wall into fortifications. S/he's got a chance of survival, and while the lava will come through the arrow slits, critters won't. This has the benefit of being much quicker and simpler than pumps, and only moderately lethal.

If you make the last mined/fortified tile a diagonal they'll get away 100% of the time as liquid takes longer to travel diagonally for some reason.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Things will swim through fortifications.

If you're just talking about using magma as fuel then just use floodgates to seal your lava off from the rest of the magma sea. The lava level never gets depleted or used and I don't think there are any building destroyer lava creatures. If there are they are rare because I haven't ever seen any. On that note all the fire creatures in the magma I've seen act like regular wildlife, in that they can theoretically path into your fort but they seem content to just flit about in the lava for the most part.

Embarking near volcanoes is great because you can just tap into the side of it at the surface and you don't have to muck about with making huge pump stacks. Things can swim up the volcano from the sea still but I think I've maybe lost a total of one dwarf to a stray fireball shot from a fire elemental while said dwarf was tossing some trash away near the caldera.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 1, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Things will swim through fortifications.

If you're just talking about using magma as fuel then just use floodgates to seal your lava off from the rest of the magma sea. The lava level never gets depleted or used and I don't think there are any building destroyer lava creatures. If there are they are rare because I haven't ever seen any. On that note all the fire creatures in the magma I've seen act like regular wildlife, in that they can theoretically path into your fort but they seem content to just flit about in the lava for the most part.

Embarking near volcanoes is great because you can just tap into the side of it at the surface and you don't have to muck about with making huge pump stacks. Things can swim up the volcano from the sea still but I think I've maybe lost a total of one dwarf to a stray fireball shot from a fire elemental while said dwarf was tossing some trash away near the caldera.

Another benefit is you can build your entrance over the volcano with a pair of drawbridges leading to a central plaza, attach the plaza to a ceiling by means of four supports, and if the fortress is threatened, drop the entire thing into the volcano.

You can also try pumping a river up and flooding it to shove things off into the volcano/boil them with steam but last time I tried that it bugged out and I ended up filling half the vent with obsidian all the way down to the magma sea.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

Jesus it's been nearly two years since the last update. The last time I checked this thread was six months ago after I said "It's been six months, surely a new version has been released"

That's a huge point in Masterwork's favor actually, it evolves at an appreciable pace.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm not going to touch that statement with a five-foot pole. MAYDAY REPORT

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: The view looks pretty good, standing on the pile of generous contributions you have sent to help support the project! Nothing stands in the way of the next version of Dwarf Fortress but a mass of annoying bugs. With your help, we don't have to worry about getting crappy part-time jobs. We can work on the bugs the way they need to be dealt with: full-time and with no mercy!

Congratulations to the generous!

:stonkhat:

quote:

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: That was intense. Thanks for a great month! Now all I need to do is try to wrap this up before we cross over any more anniversary milestones. There's not much more to say this time -- the list is chunky and filled with various dwarf trauma and other shenanigans that need to be cleaned up.

Apr: $6428.15
Mar: $3606.70

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

did everyone start playing dwarf fort again this month or something

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

First month after the holidays where people have money? :v:

Though I don't imagine that the "have a family and max out credit cards buying silly poo poo for them" group overlaps with DF players all too much.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

Tax refunds (US).

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Probably a combination of US tax refunds ("Oh hey I didn't know I would have a few hundred extra bucks!") and it looking like there might possibly be a new DF version some time this year. Maybe.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm not eagerly awaiting anything at this point. From reading the updates Toady spent most of the time adding new things and trying to make them work rather than hunting down and eliminating existing bugs. It's getting close to two years since the last release.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So I let ny dwarf dig diagonally into a volcano and he instantly died due to...it looked like smoke? :shrug:

What did I do wrong?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If he just dug a hole, the lava blasted in and burnt him, the smoke was probably from his own body. The diagonal thing just removes the "pressure" as far as how far up the lava will fill (which isn't necessary unless with lava unless it's been through a pump.)

If you want the magma to trickle in, you have to leave a 1-tile thick wall, then smooth it, then carve a fortification. THAT will cause it to trickle in slowly enough that the dwarf has a chance to escape. A chance.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You could also channel out your final wall from above, keeping the dwarf out of the path of the magma entirely.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

You could also channel out your final wall from above, keeping the dwarf out of the path of the magma entirely.

Well, it is a volcano, and I am not sure if you can do that diagonally down? I would have to dig into the wall that holds the lava to do that, right?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Look, you want lava, you have to make sacrifice(s).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, it used to be that the walls of a volcano would wiggle in and out and you could do that, but now they just go straight down. If you REALLY don't want to lose the dwarf, you could enable fastdwarf in dfhack and he'll scoot right out of there.

Bernardo Orel posted:

Look, you want lava, you have to make sacrifice(s).
But really, that's the right answer. Just turn off mining for everyone, pick a peon, send him in.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

But really, that's the right answer. Just turn off mining for everyone, pick a peon, send him in.

That seems like a good idea.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I'm not eagerly awaiting anything at this point. From reading the updates Toady spent most of the time adding new things and trying to make them work rather than hunting down and eliminating existing bugs. It's getting close to two years since the last release.

We've been through this before. Toady works in two cycles. In cycle 1, he spends a year or three adding a new feature (or a couple new features). In cycle 2, he spends 3-6 months fixing bugs. Repeat.

He will never work on existing bugs during cycle 1 unless the bug was part of a system that he's gutting and replacing. There's no use complaining about it. It just won't happen. Once the release is out, he DOES go into bug fixing mode for a little while. Honestly.

A bunch of people actually get annoyed during the bug fixing parts, because there'll be a new release every week or so, and every new release breaks DF Hack again.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think the next release is probably coming up pretty soon, Toady seems to be on the threshold of moving from Cycle 1 to Cycle 2, cleaning things up for the first public release so that it can hold itself together, even if we will be dealing with a lot of bugs. Still, that's part of the comedy of playing DF- how will the bugs interact, like the bug where rain in scorching climates made dwarves melt.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
If the last major release is anything to go by (and don't get me wrong, it isn't), it took him about a month to do a full debugging. During this time a few members on his forum went radio silent as they were pulled into a closed beta.

I'd say there's a very high chance we see a release before June. In fact, I'm thinking there's an above average chance we see a release before May 15th, as Two5Six is on May 16th, and you'd think he'd want to get something out before losing all momentum due to travel and a conference

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Dear Toady,

Please delay the release until at least may so I can reach NG+++++++++++ in Dark Souls II. Thanks in advance.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, it used to be that the walls of a volcano would wiggle in and out and you could do that, but now they just go straight down. If you REALLY don't want to lose the dwarf, you could enable fastdwarf in dfhack and he'll scoot right out of there.

There's a much safer way to do this:

1: Dig your tunnels where you want the magma to fill, except the actual entry into the magma
2: One Z-level up, dig a path to directly over the magma entry point
3: Build a door 1-2 tiles before the end of the top tunnel (magma safe material door is best)
4: From the top tunnel, channel out the entry point tile

I never lose miners when I do it this way.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

There's a much safer way to do this:

1: Dig your tunnels where you want the magma to fill, except the actual entry into the magma
2: One Z-level up, dig a path to directly over the magma entry point
3: Build a door 1-2 tiles before the end of the top tunnel (magma safe material door is best)
4: From the top tunnel, channel out the entry point tile

I never lose miners when I do it this way.

We were talking about volcanos and sadly that is not possible since above the lava is more lava.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

An expected version never releases. It always comes by surprise. Stop looking.

Toady One posted:

The bug-fixing mission continued today. Fewer logs hanging in the air, though they can still get stuck in trees which is a little odd but maybe not a deal-breaker. Fixed a problem with the wait order for companions... fixed a problem with the "sensing" ability vs. stealth. Handled some mangled announcements for crushed joints. Got rid of residual grass that provided stealth bonuses after being trampled. Added some more control over where twig tiles appear on trees. Broken guide directions. Stopped prisoners from constantly agreeing to rescue each other. Also some crashes fixed, and so on.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I recently had a miner dig out a wall and flood the tunnel with lava (intentional). He got away just fine!

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible

Michaellaneous posted:

We were talking about volcanos and sadly that is not possible since above the lava is more lava.

Still possible, the magma tubes aren't the same on every level, find a place where you can channel the magma into your pipe, Magma runs very slow, and cannot travel upwards.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Doesn't matter anymore. I simply sacrificed a dwarf to the lava god in return for free lava :black101:

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Michaellaneous posted:

Doesn't matter anymore. I simply sacrificed a dwarf to the lava god in return for free lava :black101:

Lava can solve all of your invader problems quickly. But be warned that your dwarves have the same blind spot for realizing "don't go near it".

Has anyone else had dwarves whose lips melted? After a few of my dwarves died I started getting better at making sure only the useless ones died. And I noticed the first injury they all received was their lips melted. Do dwarves have an unnatural fascination with kissing lava?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Also someone suggestes using a miner which is not good, since you'll loose a pickaxe.
A new, simple stone detailer who makes a forification is good enough and worthless.

Also today I had my first tantrum, which is silly because he lost his artifact. No idea how that happened, it was a mood one.

All my dwarves are always ecstatic since I have one that literally does nothing else than running around, smoothing stones and engraving masterworks. Everyone has a grand bedroom and is as happy as a dwarf can be.

Also I find the stone crafts exploit a bit silly. One stone crafter that does nothing else than crafts all the time, and you can nearly buy everything from a caravan. After the first it is even more insane since he will just spew out masterworks all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Michaellaneous posted:

Also someone suggestes using a miner which is not good, since you'll loose a pickaxe.
A new, simple stone detailer who makes a forification is good enough and worthless.

Also today I had my first tantrum, which is silly because he lost his artifact. No idea how that happened, it was a mood one.

All my dwarves are always ecstatic since I have one that literally does nothing else than running around, smoothing stones and engraving masterworks. Everyone has a grand bedroom and is as happy as a dwarf can be.

Also I find the stone crafts exploit a bit silly. One stone crafter that does nothing else than crafts all the time, and you can nearly buy everything from a caravan. After the first it is even more insane since he will just spew out masterworks all the time.

First tantrum? You need some more tantrums. Ideally you want your most important dwarves to be jaded and friendless. Even if the rest of the fort goes into a spiral, they'll be continuing on like all is well. I'm not sure how to harden my dwarves hearts just yet, but my current plan is for important dwarves to have pets which eventually die off.

I'm not sure why some of my dwarves are only mildly upset about members of their family dying, but others freak out and start attacking people and livestock simply because they don't have nice socks to wear.

Surrounding dwarves with beautiful things is a decent way to mitigate little problems in their lives. I suggest getting some masterwork doors and encrusting them with tons of gems. Not everyone, but some of the dwarves walking through these doors in a busy hallway will get happy thoughts.

Stone crafts? Those are pittances. Wait until you get a legendary cook. Merchants are crazy for your prepared meals.