Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

It's funny how people were bitching about Dark Souls not having a hub world that lead into sections like Demon's Souls, and now people are bitching Dark Souls 2 doesn't have a seamless interconnected world like Dark Souls did.

Also I think "easiest boss" has to go to the Demon of Song, I guess maybe it was easier because I was melee, though. Attack, attack, step back, step forward, repeat.

I think you will never solve this problem because many people can be drawn to the same thing for many different reasons. If you satisfy one group with your design another will dislike you for doing so.

I don't mind either way, I can see the merit of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
For some reason I got it into my head that I want to punch my way through the game with powerstanced caestus' and rolling around like a madman. What's some good lighter armour? I've been using the Aurous armour for awhile now and am a bit bored of looking at it.
Also what would be good to infuse a caestus with?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I take back everything I said about the Gutter being a poo poo zone because seriously gently caress Black Gulch.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Turra posted:

For some reason I got it into my head that I want to punch my way through the game with powerstanced caestus' and rolling around like a madman. What's some good lighter armour? I've been using the Aurous armour for awhile now and am a bit bored of looking at it.

Poison could be a fun infusion to try. A lot of enemies are vulnerable to poison and you attack fast enough that building it up should be pretty painless on your end.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Just got a White Ring from a smooth and silky stone.

I already have one :negative:

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

Dreggon posted:

Just got a White Ring from a smooth and silky stone.

I already have one :negative:

I've gotten four Channeler's Tridents.

I've wanted a few darknight stones but nope, birds want me to dance.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Here's a tip for situations where you see NPCs/big monsters standing in a hallway:

Poison Arrows.

They trivialize any kind of "big dude in a tight space" encounter because the dudes either die after getting poisoned twice or they reach you with half health. Or they don't react at all to being shot at.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Really hope the BellBro Armor is good since I've spent all night watchin dem bells. Up to 80-something wins. Definitely checking out the rear end in a top hat rat faction after this.

Also I can't believe I haven't run into even a single hacker.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

I've gotten four Channeler's Tridents.

I've wanted a few darknight stones but nope, birds want me to dance.

I managed to get a Demon's Great Hammer from a normal smooth & silky stone earlier today, and I found a petrified something but haven't turned it in yet :getin:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've cleared out the entire Dragon Shrine until enemies stopped spawning twice now with full +item discovery, and still no Drakekeeper's Warpick in sight. :smith:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is the Crypt Blacksword any good as a PvE weapon? I'm considering using it, but I've never tried using an Ultra Greatsword in any of the Souls games. I've always used either Dexterity weapons or spells. Anything I should be aware of when making the switch?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Turra posted:

Don't infuse cesti. Gotta get the most bang for the stat scaling on those babies.

As for good armor for that? Bandit gloves (for the starting class), and then either Alva or Elite Knight legs, and your choices of chest wear include Cale's, the Rogue set from the dudes in Huntsman's Copse, the Brigand chest (found in No Man's Wharf), and Vengarl's chest. Helm is whatever, though if your character is male and you have the one mustache you should consider going bare-headed to show that off.

Basically, you're matching the studded leather of your cestus by putting studded leather all over yourself.

Do not merely wield your fists. Become the fist.

Oh, also, I highly recommend the Stone Ring with those. Stunlocking heavily-armored knights is deeply entertaining.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Time_pants posted:

Is the Crypt Blacksword any good as a PvE weapon? I'm considering using it, but I've never tried using an Ultra Greatsword in any of the Souls games. I've always used either Dexterity weapons or spells. Anything I should be aware of when making the switch?

I don't know about that sword specifically, but my initial hurdle with big weapons: during the wind-up time of attacks, you can change the direction of the attack. Since big weapons have huge windup times, when you aren't used to it you may send attacks off in completely the wrong direction. Like if I was circle strafing a guy, I'd try and attack and hit directly tangential to him.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Turra posted:

Caestus damage is almost entirely scaling and every infusion ruins that. Prepare for disappointment no matter what you put on one.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Turra posted:

Naked is the best armor, especially if you like getting summoned as a shade a lot.

Whenever you see a naked guy you know he's legit.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know the best str scaling weapon that I can look for? I already have a great club +10, just wondering if there are better alternatives.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Fat Care-Bear posted:

Anyone know the best str scaling weapon that I can look for? I already have a great club +10, just wondering if there are better alternatives.

Never used it, but I hear the Mastodon Greatsword is phenomenal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lori posted:

Not to mention that it tries really hard to be subtle but they may as well have put up a billboard in Majula that says "WELCOME TO TOTALLY NOT LORDRAN" in my head all of the names of places are just "Not [wherever they were in DS1]" like Not Crystal Cave and Not Anor Londo

Seriously? Its not trying to trick you, its deliberately reminding you of things from the past two Souls games. One of the big themes of the game is about how memories influence ones perception, and to make the player experience this they put in a ton of callbacks to Dark Souls and even some to Demon Souls. Its not trying to be subtle. Its reminding you of all those places on purpose.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Fat Care-Bear posted:

Pretty sure power stanced maces are this thread's answer to everything.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but if you see a "Illusion ahead" text right against a wall you know its fake, as the game won't let you write text right against a door which is what those walls technically are now.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Sanctum posted:

Naked is the best armor, especially if you like getting summoned as a shade a lot.

Whenever you see a naked guy you know he's legit.

100% true. Just look at this guy:

If I hadn't been human and just passing through to spice down blinding bolt (turns out that almost certainly wasn't worth it. If I wanted weak lightning randomly flying about, I already have three copies of Heavenly Thunder), I would have had to summon him (but almost certainly disappointed when somebody beat me to it, the bridge is absolutely hopping).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

WirelessPillow posted:

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but if you see a "Illusion ahead" text right against a wall you know its fake, as the game won't let you write text right against a door which is what those walls technically are now.

Holy poo poo THANK YOU. I spent forever wondering if those messages were true but deliberately placed so that I couldn't activate the door.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Greatsword +10 has A scaling for strength. Mind, it's a ultra greatsword like everyone and their mothers are using.

edit: Woops, A instead of S

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 3, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Internet Kraken posted:

Seriously? Its not trying to trick you, its deliberately reminding you of things from the past two Souls games. One of the big themes of the game is about how memories influence ones perception, and to make the player experience this they put in a ton of callbacks to Dark Souls and even some to Demon Souls. Its not trying to be subtle. Its reminding you of all those places on purpose.

So my new favorite theory on the memory/perception themes in Dark Souls II is that all of the NPCs with the possible exception of the Emerald Herald, who is her own wierd thing, are figments of the player character's imagination, which is why most of them are well-defined at first but start to forget about themselves later, and only vaguely acknowledge the existence of one another -- right down to the father and daughter you ostensibly reunite. There's that line about how whomever sits on the throne "sees what they want to see", and since you're the heir to the Throne of Want, you've been doing exactly that the entire time. Basically, what I'm saying is Dark Souls II is Solipsism Souls.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Oh man. I'm so upset that powerstance duel wielding twinblades isn't the blender of death i was expecting :(. I still quite like one twinblade though.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Can someone please spoil for me how to get to the shaded ruins boss? I've explored basically everything here but just can't find the fog door.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks, somehow I thought that blunt weapons would be the best str weapons.

verybad posted:

Pretty sure power stanced maces are this thread's answer to everything.

I do not believe this but I'll max it out and see.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

THE PWNER posted:

Can someone please spoil for me how to get to the shaded ruins boss? I've explored basically everything here but just can't find the fog door.

If you take to the right at the giant Basilisk, there should be a path leading up to the left between two ruined towers.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Is Ricard's Rapier any good as a weapon for a dex build? It has A dex scaling so I thought it might be worth a go, but 25 dex means I havent tried it yet?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LemonAIDS posted:

Oh man. I'm so upset that powerstance duel wielding twinblades isn't the blender of death i was expecting :(. I still quite like one twinblade though.

Sadly everything bigger than a regular greatsword uses the same lovely powerstance moveset with few exceptions.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'd like to know if anyone has powerstanced two Ricard's and strong attacked with them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jamfrost posted:

I'd like to know if anyone has powerstanced two Ricard's and strong attacked with them.

It's almost certainly just the regular fencing sword powerstance moves but I'd love to be wrong.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

alright, stupid question time: What other stats apart from int, faith and attunement is worth spending souls in as a no-melee sorcerer? I dumped one or two into str early on so I could have that blue wood shield in the off-hand along with the binocular since I'm pretty mediocre at rolling and dodging

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Some ADP and END couldn't hurt. Getting agility to 100 will make dodging a lot easier, though it's less essential than getting enough ATN to make trash mobs less draining.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I really adore the VA in this game and since I'm not a native speaker, I'm wondering if anyone could chime in on accents of Benhart of Jugo and Creighton. Those two really stand out for me.

Their dialogue for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_7HfUjfAcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3TVSWjxH4U

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Creighton is vaguely East London and Benhart is Glaswegian.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is the Dragon's Tooth in this game? I found the rest of the set already(minus the ring).

Speaking of said set, is there any place with the ring or failing that, an armor+shield set that's a little bit lighter but still has good defensive stats? Sort of an equivalent to the Black Iron set from the last game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not-English and not-Scottish?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Not-English and not-Scottish?

No, given that they got Peter Serafinowicz for Pate, I would imagine that the actors are actual English actors. Benhart is certainly a good Scottish accent.

e; I just checked and Benhart's actor is Scottish. Creighton's actor is from Bristol but Creighton's accent is generically East London as opposed to Bristolian. The same guy voices the incense merchant in Iron Keep with his native accent.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Is the spoiler in this game?

Yes, look in the area where they frequent.