Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

DStecks posted:

Am I doing something wrong, or is it normal for spaceplanes to be an absolute nightmare to fly with the new ASAS?

"No, ASAS, you're right, I don't actually want to be gaining altitude, just pitch me right back to the horizon the second I let go of 'S'."

Just checking if you are trimming your pitch by pressing alt-s. This essentially re-centers the rest (no inputs) position of your control surfaces.
Another thing to try would be fitting canards, which will often increase your pitch authority. Also, make sure your center of thrust is in line with the center of mass. If it's off, as you gain altitude and your control surfaces lose authority you will tend to pitch up or pitch down. Pitch ups happen if the COT is below the COM, pitch down is caused by COT above COM. All this wisdom was passed down to me in the last thread, now I pass it down to you. It's how I made this guy carry a full orange tank single stage to orbit and return safely.

If you post a screenshot from the Assembly Hanger with the center of mass thrust and lift turned on, that will help us trouble shoot for you.

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jeez, save some air for the rest of us!

I sent this little recon probe to Eve to scout out a landing position for a possible future Eve return mission.

Can't see poo poo through all these clouds so I actually need to put stuff down to find out if it's flat terrain or giant peaks.

Gotta remember to turn SAS off when in the lower atmosphere and trying to land, though. I was going 30 m/s a second before I took this picture.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Geemer posted:

The new ASAS is a nightmare in general.

It's better in some ways but I do wish I had at least the option to switch back to the old system. The new one seems to take your forward vector as a suggestion but not something it has to stick to if it doesn't want to.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
ASAS drifting down in pitch probably means that your CoM is a bit too far in front of your CoL, which torques the nose down.

The easiest solution is just trimming the pitch with Alt+W/S. If you have a very stable aircraft you can ignore ASAS completely and just use trim to hold a climb for the first 8k of altitude.

If you are making planes with the CoM very far forward of the CoL because that's your solution to fuel tanks are being drained front to back, you have made a aircraft that will be hard to fly. Instead use the little green arrow on the context menu to lock the frontmost tank for the first part of your flight, or just get a plugin.

Geemer posted:

The new ASAS is a nightmare in general.
You're nuts. It's a huge improvement over the twitching, RCS spewing nightmare of old ASAS. It's just not a very good autopilot for planes anymore because it has fairly relaxed values for the PID controllers. That makes it behave much better when transitioning between ASAS and player input, it works relatively well across all sorts of vehicles, and it looks much nicer in action.

The downside is that it can be pulled off course by very small but continual forces. Making it more strict would make it work better for some craft, but worse for others. An ASAS tuning plugin would be pretty amazing, but I don't know if the values are accessible to plugins.

e:

Geemer posted:

Jeez, save some air for the rest of us!

edit 2:
If you are into this stuff the FAA has some nice, easy to read manuals. I recommend Chapter 4 of the Pilot's Handbook, though you can safely ignore a lot of stuff about drag types and ground effect (KSP doesn't have them).

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 3, 2014

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dr. Stab posted:

Considering that the only structure on the planet is the spaceport, I have to imagine that the kerbals are an extremely primitive race that as soon as they were able to, they built a VAB. KSP starts about a week after Kerbals figured out how to fashion sharp rocks into tools.

http://i48.tinypic.com/33e26mg.png:ssh:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sadly, I didn't save the design, and now I'm trying to recreate it in the SPH and I'm finding that somehow the CoL is in front of the CoM. Not sure if I'm failing to recreate it, or I just didn't notice it before. Here's the screenshots:

(Note that this is still a tester, and not fully equipped with necessary amenities for space.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DStecks posted:

Sadly, I didn't save the design, and now I'm trying to recreate it in the SPH and I'm finding that somehow the CoL is in front of the CoM. Not sure if I'm failing to recreate it, or I just didn't notice it before. Here's the screenshots:

(Note that this is still a tester, and not fully equipped with necessary amenities for space.)

Your CoL is below your CoM, I think that means your plane will want to fly upside down.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dumb question, but is there anything that makes Kerbin feel more like a home planet and mods that'll let me set up actual colonies? I know the kerbals themselves aren't really the focus of the game, but I basically want to play The Sims Space Adventure.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Robo Reagan posted:

Dumb question, but is there anything that makes Kerbin feel more like a home planet and mods that'll let me set up actual colonies? I know the kerbals themselves aren't really the focus of the game, but I basically want to play The Sims Space Adventure.

This is exactly what I want. I'm meticulously setting up space stations to use as colonies for kerbals and anything to add onto this would be wonderful. My current station holds roughly 50 kerbals orbiting Kerbin and they only recently got a radio so they can contact any family they have on the planet. I forgot to send the first three segments up with a comms device attached.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

Extraplanetary Launch Pads lets you build ships from parts you send (or mine from) other planets. Kethane lets you do said mining and also mine fuel, and KSP interstellar gives you a bunch of neat techs that benefit from staying out a long time, as well as some of its own mining stuff. Also lets you set up a beamed power network. Station science lets you harvest science by shipping a bunch of heavy modules to places and sticking them together. Kerbal attachment system lets you stick stuff together.

But there's no actual colony mod, sadly. I really wish there was.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, shame there's nothing really out there yet. I was just saying to a friend that I bet there will be something like that eventually. Guess the only worry is it's too big a project that it's going to be one of those things a modder works on for 2+ years then suddenly quits. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hrmm, I ended up with two 3DConnexion SpacePilots (not the pro, the older one), and they work fine in Google Earth and Blender, but I can't get them to react in KSP. I have the axis set to "3D Mouse" mode (you can choose Joystick, 2D Mouse, 3D Mouse, or Keyboard), and KSP detects it because the 6DOF section in the config area lights up, but I can't get any responses from any ships. Assigned key buttons work (I have keys 2 and 3 on the SpacePilot set to toggle SAS/RCS, etc), just not the axis themselves. I wonder if I should change it to Joystick mode instead.

I can get it to say "SpaceNavigator Mode: Flight Control" and "SpaceNavigator Mode: Camera" by hitting the toggle button (default Scroll Lock), but still no response.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 3, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A little bit of colony management and maybe some module-based base building would be a really nice addition for the game I think, I can't think of a better thing that would give some sense of permanence and utility to your flights. At the moment, while planning and executing missions is great, there's not a lot of reason to actually do it.

Having objectives like 'build a colony on laythe' would be pretty great, it could specify requirements such as population, self sustainability, and functional criteria such as 'can launch rockets' and 'can harvest raritanium' and you have to figure out a way to make that work.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I did my best not to, but I had to kill Jebidiah. I botched the moon rescue by landing some 40kms away, and this being a game I don't have the patience to watch Jeb trundle along for God knows how slow he walks. Also realized I didn't have enough fuel for a return and had to use the RCS to get into the atmosphere of Kerbin, and even then almost skipped off of it with the 'rescue' ship. Hopefully, Jeb will be reincarnated soon and he can return to work. Didn't get any science for experiments because I left those off of the rescue ship. Will plant a flag in memorandum of Jeb as soon has Bill lands.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

But there's no actual colony mod, sadly. I really wish there was.

I haven't tried this one myself, but Modular Kolonization System looks like it might fit the bill.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Met posted:

Every time I've tried to install B9, even with instructions from this thread and a clean install, I can't get the game past the initial loading screen. Is this common?

It happens to me, too, on MacOS.

DStecks posted:

Am I doing something wrong, or is it normal for spaceplanes to be an absolute nightmare to fly with the new ASAS?

"No, ASAS, you're right, I don't actually want to be gaining altitude, just pitch me right back to the horizon the second I let go of 'S'."

It’s better than the old rocket SAS, but for planes it’s not as good as the nosecone was.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

I did my best not to, but I had to kill Jebidiah. I botched the moon rescue by landing some 40kms away, and this being a game I don't have the patience to watch Jeb trundle along for God knows how slow he walks. Also realized I didn't have enough fuel for a return and had to use the RCS to get into the atmosphere of Kerbin, and even then almost skipped off of it with the 'rescue' ship. Hopefully, Jeb will be reincarnated soon and he can return to work. Didn't get any science for experiments because I left those off of the rescue ship. Will plant a flag in memorandum of Jeb as soon has Bill lands.

You could've used Jeb's RCS pack to fly the distance. Wouldn't have taken that long, though you would have to remember to save enough fuel to slow down when you get near your target.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
i'm having trouble getting my biplane further up than 22 kilometers before it runs out of gas or sloooowly slides uncontrollably to the side. perhaps this is the fate of all heavy craf-ahaha no, i'm just going to stick more engines on it. i'm past 1000 parts and it takes several minutes to load each time, plays like a slideshow.

i'm taking this to the top.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay, just in case anyone else has any problems with a 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator/Pilot/Pro, here's what happened: 3DConnexion did a bad thing a few years ago by releasing beta drivers with driver versions way ahead of their current stable versions, so when I went looking for the newest drivers, I stumbled upon their beta drivers for drivers from 2011-2012, as the version number was higher than their current stable drivers. Of course, with those old drivers, 3D modeling software/GEarth work just fine, but KSP doesn't recognize it. I installed the newest drivers (which forced me to uninstall the old drivers by hand, as it wouldn't continue because the "newer" ones I was installing had a lower version number) and everything is peachy. An hour of searching due to my own stupidity (and 3DConnexion's horribad driver search function).

Also, how many of you have brought an asteroid back to space?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvhvBF3FtV0

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 3, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I've been experimenting with my design...

EVERYTHING MUST BE ASPARAGUS :jeb:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

So I've been experimenting with my design...

EVERYTHING MUST BE ASPARAGUS :jeb:

Just a warning, fuel crossfeeding from one tank to two others is a recipe for disaster. Since it's feeding in, it could be less of an issue, but splitting a feed can cause fatal fuel imbalances.

The easiest way to screw this up is to have one central tank that feeds into two radial tanks, which then feed back into the central tank. This will basically always kill your craft via mass imbalance.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll have to keep that in mind. Luckily it's the other turbojet stacks feeding into the center.

I'm thinking about removing the center fuel stack and replacing it with rocket parts. That final kick into space just drains tons of oxidizer, no matter how I do it. Also, any recommendations on maintaining control of this thing? At high altitudes and speeds (about 1KM/s and 19KM high), I can't pitch below something like 15 degrees above the horizontal. It's definitely the turbojets I've mounted on top of the wings that's doing it, but I can't think of a way to fix it other than adding more and more control surfaces and hoping for the best.

e: Even with the staging, I can't get much fuel into space.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The more I build spaceplanes, the more I wish you could store fuel in the wings. You know, like actual planes do.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
vroom vroom

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
God, these planes are ridiculous. I just created something I'd like to call "The Red Comet." You'll find out why.

I decided to :jeb:ify my latest little fun creation

I originally just wanted to see how high I could make it go, but instead decided to do a turn for fun.

I was unaware of just how fast I could go

The thing held together really well

And kept speeding up :jebstare:

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
I always end up making SSTO's in every version, it's kind of the endgame for me after I have done with planting flags on every planet. I have decided to create a classic tailfin design instead of my normal canard - the one pictured has completed several trips to my space station in LKO to change crew and drop of supplies, I'm not sure if having FAR installed or the new Rapier engines is the cause but this one gets to orbit the easiest of all my earlier versions.

One problem however, every time I pitch up the plane banks to one side making landing very tricky (but not impossible) - how should I modify my design to fix this? Apart from this one thing the craft is ridiculously stable in flight.

e: is it a bigger tail fin?

macdonal hamborkles fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 3, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

cupachabra posted:

I always end up making SSTO's in every version, it's kind of the endgame for me after I have done with planting flags on every planet. I have decided to create a classic tailfin design instead of my normal canard - the one pictured has completed several trips to my space station in LKO to change crew and drop of supplies, I'm not sure if having FAR installed or the new Rapier engines is the cause but this one gets to orbit the easiest of all my earlier versions.

One problem however, every time I pitch up the plane banks to one side making landing very tricky (but not impossible) - how should I modify my design to fix this? Apart from this one thing the craft is ridiculously stable in flight.

It might be caused by the tailfin being off-center. As it was mentioned earlier in the thread, its damned tricky to get a perfect vertical fin on the rounded parts. A pair of fins attached to the edges of the rear elevators(that what they're called?) may work better for you.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

haveblue posted:

vroom vroom

That's pretty slick!

Here's my latest buggy being launched. There was a slight mishap plopping it down on Minmus. There was SFA horizontal velocity yet the ground seemed to be moving pretty quick. Most of the buggy survived but it's stuck upside down with a crew in it.

e: Bonus RCS powered plane.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 3, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the best drat plane I’ve ever made. SSTO VTOL, though I’ll admit it can’t do much without cargo or crew capacity. The insulting thing is that I whipped it up in twenty minutes and it flies way better than most of my other designs.

Yeah, the intake spam is tacky. I’ve since discovered a way to hide it: you can clip intakes on cubic octagonal struts into each other, and not just two of them.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 3, 2014

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cupachabra posted:

Your plane is roll unstable. You can fix this by adding some dihedral angle to the wings, or by mounting the wings higher on the fuselage so that the weight of the plane "hangs" down on them (the keel effect). Either of these will prevent the plane from banking on its own in those situations.

Also, unless there's more wing hidden on the underside that I can't see, that plane doesn't have a whole lot of lift. I made a quick replica and it couldn't get off the ground until it was going well over 100 m/s. It works and all, but you might have a much easier time with more lift. Even when you're coming back with empty tanks it doesn't feel like it'd be much of a glider.

Also also, put some control surfaces on your main wings! Those little tailplanes aren't enough, most of your control is coming from command pod torque.

edit - Oops, here's your biggest problem:

The tailplanes (the horizontal ones, not the vertical fin) are blocking the rapier's exhaust, but only when they're pitched up or down. No wonder I couldn't get it off the runway.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 3, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Klyith posted:

PLANE poo poo

Hey, you seem to know a reasonable amount of this stuff! I just installed FAR and have had a lot of success making planes that look like planes. However the FAR info panel is still a bit odd to me. None of the graphs mean anything to me, and I know the second page tells you if you're stable, but I'm not sure what kind of stable: one of my planes is green all the way up to mach 1, then unstable on just 1 point. It flies just fine all the way up to mach 5, so I'm not entirely sure what the deal is.

Don't worry about being too technical, I've done fluid mechanics at college so it shouldn't be too baffling.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Oh yeah, I remember this guy.
It's a Minmatar Rifter.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Groetgaffel posted:

Oh yeah, I remember this guy.
It's a Minmatar Rifter.

Not big enough.

Now if someone can make a 747-sized one in KSP that actually flies...

(For clarity: not criticising at all, good work!)

Brovine fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 3, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
For clarification, the Rifter is one of the smallest ships in EVE Online.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

haveblue posted:

vroom vroom

Clever design, I like it.

Working on a pair of things now.

First up, modular interplanetary mothership.

each stack of 2 cargo cages is detachable, I wanted a ship where I could just keep it in orbit, fuel it, and just launch up a relatively light payload to swap into the modular structure. Im designing rover racks, colony drop racks and a few other bits to make it as flexible a possible. Does have a design flaw, I wasnt thinking as big when I made it so the lifeboat command pod does not have a way to redock to the main ship, though it does have just enough fuel to separate and get the entire crew back from Jool if necessary.

Science drop modules

landers on top, science on bottom

Second, interplanetary spaceplane

testing refueling ops

Its a breeze to re-enter and fly too, really stable

I really wish they would let you stow these back away in the hangar after landing

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Geemer posted:

You could've used Jeb's RCS pack to fly the distance. Wouldn't have taken that long, though you would have to remember to save enough fuel to slow down when you get near your target.

Yeah, but I wasn't careful and splattered him into a crater once or twice; and I'm not sure his fuel would've been enough for the 40km trip. Rescue ship didn't have enough fuel to do a 'hop' and get back home, even with the RCS.

Otherwise, Jeb reincarnated pretty darn quickly and was first inline for my return trip. I added extra fuel tanks that sat on top of the science pods and fed into the main tank for the lander stage. Also had three extra engines with their own tanks, using the smallest tanks, which was enough fuel to get me to the intercept and into orbit around Mun (jettisoned before landing). Stuck it on top of a second Glorious KerbDong (which was the same as the original moon rocket, but with an SRB stage, because this needs to be GLORIOUS not efficient).

Some screen shots of the Glorious Mission:

Proof that the key principle of Juche is working, that a big Dong will take you places you never thought possible.

Yes, I am firing the engine in an attempt to slow down because I hit the atmosphere at Vescape in a near vertical entry angle and was still doing way over 2km/s below 20km altitude.

All that is left of the KerbDong is the tip; which is not as pleasurable to the Glorious Leader.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
It seems I have found a Konolith

The MapSat mod is awesome

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

How do you guys clip things inside of other things? Is there some kind of noclip mode I have to activate to do it? I tried it with some nukes just now but they had no fuel even though they were mostly inside the fuel tanks.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yep, hit Alt-F12 to bring up the debug menu and there's an option to allow part clipping in the editor. Just bear in mind that clipping parts might lead to R.U.D. in flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Collateral Damage posted:

Yep, hit Alt-F12 to bring up the debug menu and there's an option to allow part clipping in the editor. Just bear in mind that clipping parts might lead to R.U.D. in flight.

Ahhh, okay, so it's not just a matter of fiddling/rotating.

That makes sense. I was trying for ages earlier.

• Locked thread