Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Huh... We did want a bird... And we did want a fearsome beast to take alive to Baitel.... And Minotaurs aren't working...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
And we will name him Beaky.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Hi, I'm back from being burnt out.

A few of you expressed or implied a desire to use arrow-time if it came naturally. This is reflected in the count for D, in parenthesis.

A 1 - - - - 18
B 2 - - - - 8
C 3 - - - - 1
D - - - - - 9 (15)
E - - - - - 2
F1- - - - - 5

G - - - - - 32
I - - - - - 3
M - - - - - 2

dog kisser- - - A G
DHS - - - - - - A G (D)
Nolaterif - - - A G
100 HOGS AGREE- A G
Sojenus - - - - E falling
LCT - - - - - - D G
hollylolly- - - F1
Basscop - - - - F1
Task Manager- - D G
Angela ChristineB G
TBT - - - - - - D G
ShotgunWillie - D G
Crudus- - - - - A G
LLSix - - - - - B G
the_Steve - - - B I (D)
paragon1- - - - A G
Sogol - - - - - A G (D)
dyzzy - - - - - D G
Cornuto - - - - B I
HiHo ChiRho - - A G
STA - - - - - - A G
Vavrek- - - - - D G
Slaan - - - - - Throw Paebel under the Roc then :frogout:
Tomn- - - - - - B I
Pladdicus - - - C M
falcon2424- - - A G
JT Jag- - - - - D G
Algid - - - - - A G
Theglavwen- - - F1
Brain Fog - - - B G
maxhush - - - - D G
Aades - - - - - B M (D)
Tsyni - - - - - F1
Grognan - - - - A G
Toughy- - - - - - G (D)
UppaTree- - - - A G (D)
McSpanky- - - - A G
Althair - - - - E
ADP - - - - - - A G
jng2058 - - - - B G
SCoN- - - - - - A G
Mr Apollo - - - A G
ARWM- - - - - - D G
Imperialist Dog F1
gnarl - - - - - A G

Cornuto, "Paebel, aim for the wings"
Zybourne Clock, pray to El
McSpanky, pray to El
ShotgunWillie, "ELLLLLLLLLLLL"
SCoN, "ELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"

F1, Basscop
"Sidestep away from paebel and snarls so the giant chicken is going to crash into us and only us.

We take one shot without arrow time and aim for the eyes.

After the one shot we toss the bow aside, ready the spear and go into a power stance. We arrow time up and dive forward under the talons of steel. Come out in a roll and thrust our spear into the beast's belly.

This should give it plenty of injury to die off. After it's dead we can ignite it with a badass quote like 'stick around'"

DCBomB fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 3, 2014

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You missed half of my vote. The important half of my vote. The part that says, Throw Paebel to the Ground and Then Run The Hell Away. :colbert:

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Oh right, whoops

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Fishpolice

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
1. A
2. G

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Welcome back DCBomb :D We missed your counting!

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Outrail posted:

Fishpolice

I'm not totally sure what this means. Is this a vote for Basscop's plan?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

The roc descends, claws at the ready, a whistling noise heralding death as it soars at you and Paebel.

You grab your bow as swiftly as you can and string it. You notch an arrow in the string and start to line up your shot...

Paebel fires his first arrow. It goes wide and misses the Roc.

Still, it descends. You move your bow and continue to aim, judging the speed, distance and size of the Roc...

Paebel fires his second arrow. It hits the wing of the Roc and bounces off. Because of the angle, the rush of air from the Roc's movement buffeting the arrow away or are it's feathers as hard as bronze, as the stories say?

The screeching Roc is closing in... 200 paces...

100 paces...

50 paces...

40 paces...

TWANG

It's eyes are your target and they are the size of oranges...

Very, very, very fast moving oranges attached to claws which are going to kill you in a few brief moments.

The arrow flies as the Roc moves to meet it...

You miss your target.

...and lodge the arrow firmly in the center of the roc's forehead. It screams and screeches in pain as it crashes into the dirt.

You manage to dive out of the way at the last moment. A very large, very, very angry bird is right next to you, recovering from it's collision. One of it's legs has snapped. It seems to be very, very much alive and as you climb to your feet it seems to be trying to recover. It's head is facing away from you.

The massive bird is going to be up in a moment and when it does you have...

1. By the time it has recovered you have...

A. Shot it in the back with as many arrows as I could manage!
B. Moved around to a better position and aim for it's eyes again. This also probably made me a far easier target.
C. B., but you tried to cause "arrow-time".

D. Leaped on it and try to break it's wing with my bare hands!
E. Tried to snap it's neck!
F. I tried to invoke momentary "great strength" and THEN snap it's neck!
G. I leaped onto it's back and put my arms around it's neck. This way it can't bite or swipe at me with it's claws. I wait to see if it takes flight and try to steer it into the ground again! This option is suicidal and almost doomed to fail.

H. Leaped on it with my bronze knife and stabbed at it! If it turns out it's feathers ARE as hard as bronze, I will try to stab between them, which means I will probably do less damage.
I. H., but with my lucky stone knife!

J. I grab my spear and turn that giant chicken bastard into a chicken shikabab!
K. Grab my shield and beat that chicken in the head with it!

L. Order the Roc to submit to you! YOU ARE AN OVERGROWN CHICKEN I AM ENKIDEL! I AM THE PACK LEADER!

M. With Paebel and Snarls, we ran for our lives! It was wounded and REALLY pissed off so we tried to escape!

N. (Optional with any of the above)... and I told Paebel and Snarls to flee!

O. Something else. Fill in.

Positions and locations in the picture are approximations. The drawing of the roc with the horsie in it's claws is an accurate depiction of what it looks like, minus the horsie and you know, now crashed into the ground.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 3, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Answer to IRC question posted:

10:49:51 | <LLSix> how big is it's head? Snarl's sized?
10:50:24 | <Diog> The drawing is an accurate representation.
10:50:35 | <Diog>
10:50:38 | <Diog> That is, what it looks like.
10:50:52 | <Diog> (minus the horsie and you know, it being crashed into the dirt with an arrow stuck in it's forehead and ANGRY)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Break it's hollow bird bones and praise El!

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Yell "IF YOU SMELL, WHAT THE ROC IS COOKING"

Then do the People's Elbow except on it's head, crushing and killing the fucker.

Edit: Reference, in case Enkidel doesn't know what a People's Elbow is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjJzHs1Q6Es

Don't forget the shades.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

e: Just saw the answer to my question..

Voting to get out of range and hit it in the face with as many arrows as we can manage.

Thinking tactically, we should we able to easily outrun it unless it's capable of using its wings to compensate for its leg... There's no way it should be able to fly again at this point...

Also, thinking ahead, the sound of an injured roc might attract some unfriendly guests to the party.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 3, 2014

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
J. Leap on its back and stab it where the wing connects to the body. Disable it HARD.
It will likely rear up and throw us off its back but one leg and one wing down. It's 70% done

Edit: Left shoulder joint. That's where we stab it. Right in the armpit where the feathers are less likely to protect it. Dig the spear deep and twist it. That should ground it good. We're bound by the hunters code not to let an injured animal run off on us.

Basscop fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 3, 2014

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DCBomB posted:

I'm not totally sure what this means. Is this a vote for Basscop's plan?

Well, yeah.

1. J. And then eat it.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
J O
Order them back and then spear the beast at the base of the skull. Bird spines enter into the skull at the base. In this position the spine is stretched and elongated. A quick [???] stomp or a hearty stab will likely kill it.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Arkanomen posted:

J O
Order them back and then spear the beast at the base of the skull. Bird spines enter into the skull at the base. In this position the spine is stretched and elongated. A quick [???] stomp or a hearty stab will likely kill it.

This, plus shout for Snarls to move out if the way. Paebel is a big boy and can keep shooting though.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
J - use our passive 3x strength and jam that spear into his Jabroni body

If his feathers are like bronze, and our spear *tinks* off it, get off the drat thing before it flies again.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
How suicidal would it be to leap onto it's back and start stabbing it in the eyes with our spear or knife?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

J - It's stabbin' time.

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

How suicidal would it be to leap onto it's back and start stabbing it in the eyes with our spear or knife?

Probably no more suicidal than picking a fight with it in the first place.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

e: Just saw the answer to my question..

Voting to get out of range and hit it in the face with as many arrows as we can manage.

Thinking tactically, we should we able to easily outrun it unless it's capable of using its wings to compensate for its leg... There's no way it should be able to fly again at this point...

Also, thinking ahead, the sound of an injured roc might attract some unfriendly guests to the party.

I vote for this as well However I want to see if we can get arrow time to happen so we can get a good shot on the eye

It'll be an easier target now either way but a small expenditure of ??? for heightened reflexes isn't gonna ruin us.

The Roc will ruin us though.

With its eviscerating talons.

Edit: If we do end up stabbing it at least try to aim for the spine guys. Bird bones are hollow, and should be able to be pierced by a big manly man with a bronze tipped spear. If we can cripple its wings and legs all at once, we can shoot it in the eye at our leisure.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

spear spear spear spear spear

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

It can still fly though, faster than we can run.

J

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

J

Man, I bet a big spiked club would be great for this. Seems like birds should be weak vs. crushing damage.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
JO. Skewer it, but tell Paebel and Snarls to move way back. They both look to be in thrashing range so that even if we're successful, they could be hurt in the roc's death throes. It wouldn't do to have Paebel impaled by a wingtip after we stab the bird in the neck.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

maxhush posted:

spear spear spear spear spear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iufcdxJw9I&t=100s

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
J

Stick around!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Walrusmaster posted:

It can still fly though, faster than we can run.

Probably not though. Larger birds can't take off from a stationary position, and it probably can't stand or walk with a broken leg.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Arkanomen posted:

J O

Sounds good/tactical.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Probably not though. Larger birds can't take off from a stationary position, and it probably can't stand or walk with a broken leg.

Granted, the broken leg makes for a slower push, but the wings can make up for it:

http://youtu.be/v1YfpijnWVw

I wouldnt count on it needing a running start.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Arkanomen posted:

J O

Voting this.

Best time for a killing blow is now, while it is dazed.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

J

Shove that spear up its bunghole, Og is standing right there!

Paebel can shoot at its face too, get some double penetration.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

J stabbing time

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Dang it. I guess taming it out of the question now.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

J O

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Arkanomen posted:

J O

This, with a side order of:

jazzyhattrick posted:

Stick around!

this.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
We're basically perfectly positioned to fire an arrow into a giant bird's rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qniy8aDSFLA

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Response to IRC question posted:

12:56:05 | <Rekk> Hey Diog, Is our spear suitable for throwing, or is it too long?

Blooded Men generally do not use bows because they are strong enough to break them if used at their full strength, so what is the point?

A spear such as you use is not a ranged weapon.

...for an ordinary person.

With your greater than normal strength and experience with fishing spears, yes, your spear is suitable for throwing. A little practice before using it might not hurt though. A little more strength could not hurt either.

No comment if that is appropriate in THIS situation, just answering the question asked.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
J! Spear to the shoulder joint sounds like our best bet. If we live, let's add the talons and claws to our club.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 3, 2014