Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The best accent in the game is clearly the broad Yorkshire of McDuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Brightstone Cave on NG+ sure is something else

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The voice acting in this game is actually really good.

Is it possible they used the same casting agency that did Xenoblade? Wondering mainly because Rosabeth is quite audibly the same lady who did Fiora in that game.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I might be wrong but it sounds like they hired actual actors, not only Peter Serafinowicz, though not necessarily well known ones. The quality is a step up from most games.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Would anyone be willing to swap a Dancing Trident for an Old Whip or 2 when I get off work this evening?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
As a caster I'm finding Vendrick to be the hardest boss in the game. Pretty much all of his attacks either one-shot me, or stagger me so the next one can finish me. But the worst part is easily having to run all the loving way from the bonfire to him, every single time.

Doesn't help that I accidentally traded one of the memory souls away for a hex or something.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Ekster posted:

I might be wrong but it sounds like they hired actual actors, not only Peter Serafinowicz, though not necessarily well known ones. The quality is a step up from most games.

For example: Titchy Gren's lines are amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWsL76fjIQs

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cicadalek posted:

As a caster I'm finding Vendrick to be the hardest boss in the game. Pretty much all of his attacks either one-shot me, or stagger me so the next one can finish me. But the worst part is easily having to run all the loving way from the bonfire to him, every single time.

Doesn't help that I accidentally traded one of the memory souls away for a hex or something.

The Giant Lord Soul =/= Soul of a Giant. You can't trade away any of the ones that lower his defense.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
God dammit, I keep trying to get the last lava chest in iron keep and am loving it up. This time I almost made it, sprinted all the way from the healing pool on the other side of the map with my fire buffs up. Then I die because I run out of stamina just before a jump and walk off into the lava :negative:

Is there any way to reorganize stuff in your inventory? Ring swapping wouldn't be such a pain if I could put my frequently used rings at the top of the list.

Studio posted:

For example: Titchy Gren's lines are amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWsL76fjIQs

Titchy Gren would easily be the best covenant leader if the Rat King didn't exist.

Praise the Rodent!

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

Drop an Ascetic on the FIRST black gulch bonfire, then grab the giant soul from there.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

You can pretty much kill the guy under the stairs and run past all the other guards. You can't really tank the guy so stay behind him as much as possible. If done right he only does overhead swings and absolutely can not hit you.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Noxville posted:

The best accent in the game is clearly the broad Yorkshire of McDuff.

Flame, dear flame...

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
Is it worth infusing my weapons with anything if I'm a strength only character? My int and faith are at 3 and 6, so infusing with an element doesn't seem great. Maybe raw?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ekster posted:

Definitely. Feels very...natural, for lack of a better word. I love Felkin for that reason, same guy who did Laurentius in the first DaS AFAIK, as the way he stutters and hesitates comes across exactly as a socially awkward person would talk. :v:

Also, I am right in thinking there's absolutely zero reason to dual wield pyromancy flames other than to look helluva bitchin'.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
1. How acessible is the Bonfire Ascetic in Lost Bastille on NG+ and beyond?
2. Will a bonfire ascetic reset the chest McDuff is sitting on?
3. Will a bonfire ascetic reset McDuff?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I've always liked that the souls series has had such a good representation of actual british accents.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm fighting the ruin sentinels right now, and good god is this the most irritating thing in the world. I don't know what it is, but four out of every five deaths feels like it was completely out of my control. One death the hitbox of a swing will be bigger than the actual model of the hammer, the next the first one will knock me down on to the bottom floor and I'm forced to watch as my death warrant is slowly signed before I'm given permission to walk back over! I didn't have this feeling at all with the previous bosses and I don't know what it is about them. One time I got all the way up the ladder leading to them and for some reason the guys at the top had already aggroed and I died before I even got there, which just felt like an insult. It's the closest I've come to actually getting mad at this game, or any game in a long time.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Arrrrrrrrg, is the Dark Souls game server down again? First it was Steam last night, then this :<

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ariong posted:

I'm fighting the ruin sentinels right now, and good god is this the most irritating thing in the world. I don't know what it is, but four out of every five deaths feels like it was completely out of my control. One death the hitbox of a swing will be bigger than the actual model of the hammer, the next the first one will knock me down on to the bottom floor and I'm forced to watch as my death warrant is slowly signed before I'm given permission to walk back over! I didn't have this feeling at all with the previous bosses and I don't know what it is about them. One time I got all the way up the ladder leading to them and for some reason the guys at the top had already aggroed and I died before I even got there, which just felt like an insult. It's the closest I've come to actually getting mad at this game, or any game in a long time.

Its not out of your control, you just need to get better at the fight. I don't have any trouble dodging the Ruin Sentinels attacks now. Well, aside from their crazy top spin but that's because its telegraph looks similar to one of their normal attacks so I keep trying to dodge through it rather than away.

Though last night I had a hilarious death to the Ruin Sentinels when they did something I hadn't seen before. I fall onto the bottom floor and I'm at low health. poo poo, better run away and chug some estus. I'm on the other side of the room so I should be safe now. Then right before I can drink, one of the sentinels chucks his shield at me Captain America style for the kill. I didn't expect that at all and couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 3, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Ariong posted:

Welcome to Dark Souls

Get a 100% Phys Block shield. McDuff has one, or the Drangleic shield. Summon the NPC sorceress from one of the cells in front of the fog door, she's pretty good at doing damage to them.

The hitbox on their attacks really is poo poo, but that's a problem with a lot of enemies this time around. Anyone remember how nicely the hitbox on Smoughs hammer fit the model? That fight would've been terrible in DS2.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 3, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Internet Kraken posted:

Though last night I had a hilarious death to the Ruin Sentinels when they did something I hadn't seen before. I fall onto the bottom floor and I'm at low health. poo poo, better run away and chug some estus. I'm on the other side of the room so I should be safe now. Then right before I can drink, one the sentinels chucks his shield at me Captain America style for the kill. I didn't expect that at all and couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity.

I saw that once, I had absolutely no idea what had happened until I saw the shield stuck in the wall.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, given that they got Peter Serafinowicz for Pate, I would imagine that the actors are actual English actors. Benhart is certainly a good Scottish accent.

e; I just checked and Benhart's actor is Scottish. Creighton's actor is from Bristol but Creighton's accent is generically East London as opposed to Bristolian. The same guy voices the incense merchant in Iron Keep with his native accent.

I meant they're from fantasy england and fantasy scotland.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not out of your control, you just need to get better at the fight.

Yeah, I know it's on me. It just doesn't feel right for some reason, and that's what's making it frustrating for me.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Get a 100% Phys Block shield. McDuff has one, or the Drangleic shield.

I don't know what or where the drangleic shield is and it seems like the only thing mcduff has is two scoops of crazy raisins.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
So gently caress that misty area.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ariong posted:

I don't know what or where the drangleic shield is and it seems like the only thing mcduff has is two scoops of crazy raisins.

The Drangleic Shield is with the rest of the set in a hole past the Pursuer boss room.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Ariong posted:

Oh right, he doesn't react to you at this point, sorry.

The Drangleic shield can be found by dropping down a level from behind the Pursuer fight.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I am the retarded. I decided to fight Vendrick with only one giant soul. And died. Then out a desire for revenge I refought him until I won. I burned through most of my inventory in weapons. And to think, my friends make fun of me for trying to collect one, preferably two of every weapon in the game. So that was fun.

EDIT: Hail to the fashion king.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 3, 2014

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I really hate how much better the Mace is than a lot of other melee weapons in PvE. My guy is Dex based and I've been using various rapiers for most of the game, but I basically have to default to my Raw Mace in Iron Keep and Drangelic Castle because thrust/slash damage is so incredibly ineffective. Even then, there's some serious "go gently caress yourself if you're tanking mostly by rolling" in that second area.

e: For that rear end in a top hat room with a bunch of guys with absurdly long spears: They can't open doors, so if you awaken and lure the three with shields into the adjacent room and shut the door, life gets easier.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 3, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Thanks for the tips. I got enough strength to wield my starting mace one-handed a long time ago but haven't made use of it yet. Now I just have to get used to how much damage it does one-handed.

Lagonazer
Jan 3, 2012

Come here friends.
Hug me! Oh yeah. Hug me.

Stiggs posted:

Is it worth infusing my weapons with anything if I'm a strength only character? My int and faith are at 3 and 6, so infusing with an element doesn't seem great. Maybe raw?

If your weapon has good scaling (I'd say at least B), then you should not infuse. If it has C or less, then infusing with lightning or raw can boost damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The server seems to be down again.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Ariong posted:

If you can manage it, do not drop down to the lower floor until killing the first one. The other two will not join the fight until you kill him. They also stagger their movement a bit, so you can do a decent chunk of damage to the second boss before the third even leaps up to the platform. Once both get up, get the hell down and use the room.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Graviija posted:

So what's a good endgame-ish sword for a 40Str/20Dex type guy? Been running a claymore for forever, and while it's still good, I think I'm due for an upgrade.

And yes, it needs to be a sword. I know I can use the great club and other great hammers, but swords are cooler.

Screw swords, use the gyrm great hammer.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

I've got this Fashion Souls poo poo on lock.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Does any one have tips for the Pilgrims of the Dark tasks? I'm losing to the very first bit every time and I've gone through 20 human effigies.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Fart Sandwiches posted:

So gently caress that misty area.

Stick to the outer edges and angle your camera down slightly, it'll help contrast the fuckers so you can see them a little better. Bring some ranged attacks to pick them off / goad them into attacking you too.

Also apparently if you hit the trees with the faces carved into them it distracts them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just got killed by an archer shooting arrows at the wall 10 feet away from me :thumbsup:

Ariong posted:

Yeah, I know it's on me. It just doesn't feel right for some reason, and that's what's making it frustrating for me.

Their spears are incredibly long and they swing very quickly. Combine with the fact that they make broad swipes that hit in a large area, its hard to avoid getting hit by them. Despite that, its not really hard to avoid being damage by them. Their attacks are telegraphed very heavily. Though they swing fast, they always do a little pose before attacking. Pay attention to their movements, and you have plenty of time to dodge or block.

RBA Starblade posted:

The server seems to be down again.

Works fine for me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Heliosicle posted:

Does any one have tips for the Pilgrims of the Dark tasks? I'm losing to the very first bit every time and I've gone through 20 human effigies.

Depends on what you're having trouble with? If you mean falling in pits, try lighting your torch. That's what got me at first. If it's the phantoms then you'd have to specify which task you're doing.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
For the "get all hexes/sorceries/miracles" achievements, do you have to get them all on one character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I've always liked that the souls series has had such a good representation of actual british accents.

The spoken parts of Dark Souls are rarely paid attention to or talked about, but they really are incredibly well done. The gravity of how hopeless everything is doesn't really hit you until the NPCs start talking in their melancholic tones of voice referencing weird, cryptic things you're clueless about.