Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

HalloKitty posted:

Hah, drat.

"The most common response was to blame the monitor".

Oh, Apple fans...

"Do they just not care about those using third-party components, or are they actively attempting to force people on to Thunderbolt displays?"

Well, of course. Apple wants you to think that other things aren't good, and a combination of Apple-only gear will bring you to some state of nirvana.

I just wish they'd finally enable daisy chaining displayport monitors. Current build of 10.9.3 sort of supports it. Although by sort of I mean that the external monitors are mirrors of each other. This is obviously less than helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

So my qnix 2710 is on its way from Korea (corea). Is there a rundown of driver/apps/color profile i need for the overclocking on a 7xx nvidia card?

All I had to do was install the Custom Resolution Utility none of the other stuff, even for SLI. I also made a color profile but that was through windows.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I cant believe how fast the sk are. Paid 8pm last night, monitor will be in my hands tomorrow.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

I cant believe how fast the sk are. Paid 8pm last night, monitor will be in my hands tomorrow.

I was blown away too. Technically speaking, if you look at tracking, mine actually left Korea and then arrived at my house the "same" day.

I don't recall shipping prices there being spectacular or anything either. A nice chunk of the price must be shipping. Either way, I'm just surprised it gets here so fast at any normal price. Mine landed in 3 states and was held up by customs for 10 hours or something too.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I seriously need a small IPS monitor. The smallest I've seen is the 21.5" Dell S series.

Is there any production IPS monitor smaller than that? Or, what about those eBay control board that you plug the ribbon cable from a panel into? Are those in any way standardized, so that I could rip an IPS display from like an Android tablet?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I seriously need a small IPS monitor. The smallest I've seen is the 21.5" Dell S series.

Is there any production IPS monitor smaller than that? Or, what about those eBay control board that you plug the ribbon cable from a panel into? Are those in any way standardized, so that I could rip an IPS display from like an Android tablet?

Laptop LCD connectors all seem the same to me. Probably the only way those ebay kits would even work. I couldn't tell you about a tablet though.

I know you can small IPS laptop screen replacements for not all that much, like $80 or something. I have no idea how well those kits work though sorry.

edit: after glancing through one of the ads I guess they aren't all the same, but they claim to be able to match what you have. So you can take the model number off an item description and just email them I guess

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Zero VGS posted:

Bob Morales posted:

Build your own Retina display that connects directly to your PC for $70, including the Retina display from an iPad 3!

http://emerythacks.blogspot.com/2013/04/connecting-ipad-retina-lcd-to-pc.html

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ignoarints posted:

Laptop LCD connectors all seem the same to me. Probably the only way those ebay kits would even work. I couldn't tell you about a tablet though.

I know you can small IPS laptop screen replacements for not all that much, like $80 or something. I have no idea how well those kits work though sorry.

edit: after glancing through one of the ads I guess they aren't all the same, but they claim to be able to match what you have. So you can take the model number off an item description and just email them I guess

Most laptop displays have the exact same connector (though where it is may change). The problem is that there is no standard for the other end.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'd do that Retina hack in a heartbeat but I'm trying to output from a phone (creating a digital rear-view mirror for my car) so I'd need either HDMI or DVI.

That and I think the phone defaults to outputting in it's native res of 720p so I'd need whatever scaler board to be able to handle it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zero VGS posted:

I'd do that Retina hack in a heartbeat but I'm trying to output from a phone (creating a digital rear-view mirror for my car) so I'd need either HDMI or DVI.

That and I think the phone defaults to outputting in it's native res of 720p so I'd need whatever scaler board to be able to handle it.

I literally have a 720p (1366x768) LED IPS panel (LP116WH4 SLN2) I was gonna install on my laptop, but I don't have the right ribbon connector to extend the cable. I turned my laptop into a thin HTPC, so I'm willing to part with it. Lemme know if that works for you.

Edit: Whoops need HDMI nvm.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Figure I'll drop this here.

Been following the thread the last few days as my old 1680x1050 acer from ages and ages ago finally up and died on me. I'd been running it as a second screen with newer 23 inch 1080 LG and figured I would move that one down the line and get a new primary.

Initially I was going to get one of the recommended 24 inch 1080 Dell's but had trouble finding one locally.

Seems to be a real lack of solid monitors available locally for whatever reason.

After a longer day than expected trying to find something decent I finally bit the bullet and picked up an Asus PB278Q. It's larger than I originally intended to go with and more money to boot, but I spend a lot of time with the PC so it will see a lot of use and makes it a little easier to justify the initial outlay to myself.

Set it up this evening and I have to say its even nicer than I expected. Seems like a real quality product so far. So my thanks to the thread for putting that one on my radar. I might have missed it otherwise.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Check with carmp3.com to see if that got anything that will work for you. Them guys live for this poo poo.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I feel pretty confident I'm going to order BenQ GW2760HS, before I do any reason not to get this? Seems like a sweet 27" monitor for only $250.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Sedgr posted:

Figure I'll drop this here.

Been following the thread the last few days as my old 1680x1050 acer from ages and ages ago finally up and died on me. I'd been running it as a second screen with newer 23 inch 1080 LG and figured I would move that one down the line and get a new primary.

Initially I was going to get one of the recommended 24 inch 1080 Dell's but had trouble finding one locally.

Seems to be a real lack of solid monitors available locally for whatever reason.

After a longer day than expected trying to find something decent I finally bit the bullet and picked up an Asus PB278Q. It's larger than I originally intended to go with and more money to boot, but I spend a lot of time with the PC so it will see a lot of use and makes it a little easier to justify the initial outlay to myself.

Set it up this evening and I have to say its even nicer than I expected. Seems like a real quality product so far. So my thanks to the thread for putting that one on my radar. I might have missed it otherwise.

The jump from a 1680x1050 in what I'm assuming wasn't a 27" monitor, to a new 1440p 27" monitor would be very nice indeed. I went from a 27" 1080p to a 27" 1440p and even then I was a little taken aback.

whatupdet posted:

I feel pretty confident I'm going to order BenQ GW2760HS, before I do any reason not to get this? Seems like a sweet 27" monitor for only $250.

I've never owned one but the consensus here seems to be its good, if the price is good. Some people say 1080p starts to show in 27", which is true, but it was a minor drawback (to me) considering the size.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Ignoarints posted:

I've never owned one but the consensus here seems to be its good, if the price is good. Some people say 1080p starts to show in 27", which is true, but it was a minor drawback (to me) considering the size.

27 inch 1080p monitors have been condemned in this thread for years.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Taima posted:

27 inch 1080p monitors have been condemned in this thread for years.

Yeah I figured. I liked mine. It was better than a 24, and had one of the best input lags of all monitors. Yes the pixels were bigger though, but I could in fact see more and I did see the point of it. Maybe if it cost a lot more it'd be dumb.

I like a screen to fill most of my vision (for games, everything else I'll just lean back). I looked silly leaning in towards a 24 or less

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

Ignoarints posted:

While it would be nice to have 1440p or whatever, the content I watch is 1080p and I'd be upgrading from a 22" TN 1680x1050 panel to a 27" VA 1080p with a very reasonable price tag, I just hope the quality is good.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Got my qnix today. Amazing. Got here in one day. So far no bad pixels or blb.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Oooo now I'm jealous about blb. Maybe I'll take a picture and see what they say

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Ignoarints posted:

Yeah I figured. I liked mine. It was better than a 24, and had one of the best input lags of all monitors. Yes the pixels were bigger though, but I could in fact see more and I did see the point of it. Maybe if it cost a lot more it'd be dumb.

I like a screen to fill most of my vision (for games, everything else I'll just lean back). I looked silly leaning in towards a 24 or less

I'm not hating necessarily, I even had a 27" 1080p a few years ago for a while. Just sayin' that the thread has a less than charitable view on the tech, generally speaking.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

Oooo now I'm jealous about blb. Maybe I'll take a picture and see what they say

Have you tried the BLB fixes? Some people fixed it just by fixing their bent frame.

edit: Wow, the matte finish is so unoffensive on this monitor. There is literally no grain that i can see. It reminds me of old matte laptop displays which were razor sharp.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 1, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Have you tried the BLB fixes? Some people fixed it just by fixing their bent frame.

edit: Wow, the matte finish is so unoffensive on this monitor. There is literally no grain that i can see. It reminds me of old matte laptop displays which were razor sharp.

I know right. It is truly great. I wonder if it's Samsung applied on the panels before the resellers even get them because its that good.

I haven't yet. I'm pretty comfortable doing stuff, but the thought of bending the frame is cringe worthy to me. It's really one corner that is blatantly bad, so much so it noticeably lightens colors. I've always treated LCD panels like they were a pile of eggs though they are probably tougher than I imagine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

I know right. It is truly great. I wonder if it's Samsung applied on the panels before the resellers even get them because its that good.

From what ive seen people who compare it to the Asus p278q which is the same panel say its the same.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Even with the blb, I'm entirely happy with the money spent. If I got one without much blb, or if I can fix mine, I'd be ecstatic. Yesterday I said to myself "wow this computer is really great and I'm really happy with all of it" then my mouse starting loving up. Always something

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Taima posted:

I'm not hating necessarily, I even had a 27" 1080p a few years ago for a while. Just sayin' that the thread has a less than charitable view on the tech, generally speaking.

I switch between a 27" 1080p and a 24" 1080p at work, and while the 24" is definitely noticeably crisper, for general use (text, web, CAD) I don't prefer one over the other. The extra size is nice on the one, the extra crispness is nice on the other.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The only thing I would consider a 27 inch 1080 monitor for would be doing triple monitor portrait mode set up for maximum visual space/immersion in games.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Don Lapre posted:

I ended up ordering that RAEANtech TR-272 I talked about before, but because dream-seller is in Busan, the delivery is going to take 8 days, not 1-2. That trip by land from one side of South Korea to the other seems to add a significant amount of time to the trip. I had the same experience back in September during my first attempt at getting an X-STAR monitor, because I bought that from the same seller. A monitor I ordered later from a seller in Seoul did only end up taking 2 days, though.

Ignoarints posted:

I haven't yet. I'm pretty comfortable doing stuff, but the thought of bending the frame is cringe worthy to me. It's really one corner that is blatantly bad, so much so it noticeably lightens colors. I've always treated LCD panels like they were a pile of eggs though they are probably tougher than I imagine.

They aren't super delicate, but you do have to watch out for certain things like not damaging the edge ribbons and dust getting underneath the panel (it's taped down at the bottom in two places to prevent it lifting up and exposing the underside, so not much to worry about there). You'd have to do something really stupid to crack the LCD panel.

The fiddly part is getting the steel bezel off of the panel because of all the clips that want to fall back in to place as you release them. Once it's off, the process of this fix is as simple as taking your thumb and fingers from each hand, placing it over the bend, and pressing it in, little by little, to flatten out the bend, checking it with a straightedge each time. The steel is thick and springy enough that you're not going to overdo it on accident and put a crease in it or stretch it.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Zorilla posted:

I ended up ordering that RAEANtech TR-272 I talked about before, but because dream-seller is in Busan, the delivery is going to take 8 days, not 1-2. That trip by land from one side of South Korea to the other seems to add a significant amount of time to the trip. I had the same experience back in September during my first attempt at getting an X-STAR monitor, because I bought that from the same seller. A monitor I ordered later from a seller in Seoul did only end up taking 2 days, though.

They aren't super delicate, but you do have to watch out for certain things like not damaging the edge ribbons and dust getting underneath the panel (it's taped down at the bottom in two places to prevent it lifting up and exposing the underside, so not much to worry about there). You'd have to do something really stupid to crack the LCD panel.

The fiddly part is getting the steel bezel off of the panel because of all the clips that want to fall back in to place as you release them. Once it's off, the process of this fix is as simple as taking your thumb and fingers from each hand, placing it over the bend, and pressing it in, little by little, to flatten out the bend, checking it with a straightedge each time. The steel is thick and springy enough that you're not going to overdo it on accident and put a crease in it or stretch it.

Oh see I was under the assumption the LCD panel was still going to be in the frame. That is way, way better.

Busan is pretty far from Seoul travel wise and different rules apply once you actually use korean shipping I'm guessing.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Ignoarints posted:

Oh see I was under the assumption the LCD panel was still going to be in the frame. That is way, way better.

Well, kind of. The steel bezel covers the surrounding front edges. Here's a rear view of the panel. You have to take off the shield seen at the top covering the T-CON board before you can pop the bezel off, though.

Once you get that cover off, I recommend securing the now-exposed T-CON board back to the rear of the panel with one of the screws so it's not flapping around by its edge ribbons when you turn it back over.

You can then take the steel bezel off by using a small flatblade screwdriver to release the clips on the sides. To get better access, I recommend elevating the the panel by putting it on top of a box with smaller dimensions than the panel itself (making sure the top edge is hanging off so the T-CON board isn't dragging around against it).

Just try to release the clips on the sides and bottom. The edge ribbons run along the top, so the best bet is to release the other three sides and then use the leverage you've gained there to release the top afterwards. No reason to poke around there with a screwdriver if you don't have to.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 2, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I meant I thought I was going to have to bend it with the LCD actually in it haha. Thanks man, really, I would have put it off a bit if I continued to think that before looking into it (which I wouldn't have for a while probably) but now I'm motivated

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Just taking them out of the lovely one size fits all case that they come in gets rid of most the BLB right off the bat.

Not only that, I found the glossiness of the case, as well as the huge 1/4" inset of the lcd inside the case to be really distracting. Also my monitors are much closer together now.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Also in regards to people hating on glossy displays, it really depends if the glossy display has any type of antiglare built into it.

My ST50 plasma, and MBA both have glossy displays and I never experience any glare with them, especially with the lights out.

Whereas my lovely LG plasma of yesteryear and the glass pane that I took out of my qnix literally had nothing, and would reflect under any circumstance. Even with the lights off as others mentioned.

VoodooChild
Feb 2, 2003

Watering can... Where are you Mr.Watering can?
I'm just about to RMA a trio of Dell U2414Hs that I've had for a couple of weeks due to a (what I now know to be long-standing) firmware issue that means that the monitors are recognised only as Generic PnP Monitors by Windows, not recognised at all by Dell Display Manager, and therefore use the wrong drivers. The DisplayPort connections can be a little funky as well, dropping signal and going to standby mode of their own accord when connected to my Macbook Air.

What recommendations do folks have for alternatives? My graphics card has DVI, HDMI, and two MiniDP, plus DVI on the motherboard. I want three screens, but have put aside the idea of 5760x1080 gaming because my system can't run it well enough, meaning that I'm not so hung up on the ultra-thin bezel. I don't currently have a VESA mount, but imagine that I may do in future. That's pretty much it as far as requirements go. Any help greatly appreciated.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

VoodooChild posted:

I'm just about to RMA a trio of Dell U2414Hs that I've had for a couple of weeks due to a (what I now know to be long-standing) firmware issue that means that the monitors are recognised only as Generic PnP Monitors by Windows, not recognised at all by Dell Display Manager, and therefore use the wrong drivers. The DisplayPort connections can be a little funky as well, dropping signal and going to standby mode of their own accord when connected to my Macbook Air.

What recommendations do folks have for alternatives? My graphics card has DVI, HDMI, and two MiniDP, plus DVI on the motherboard. I want three screens, but have put aside the idea of 5760x1080 gaming because my system can't run it well enough, meaning that I'm not so hung up on the ultra-thin bezel. I don't currently have a VESA mount, but imagine that I may do in future. That's pretty much it as far as requirements go. Any help greatly appreciated.

A good alternative to 3 monitor gaming is one of the new ultra wide 21:9 monitors.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Don Lapre posted:

A good alternative to 3 monitor gaming is one of the new ultra wide 21:9 monitors.

Seconding. I got rid of my old Eyefinity setup for a 21:9, though if I had to do it again, I'd get the one of the 34 inchers. Still amazing.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BrettRobb posted:

My ST50 plasma, and MBA both have glossy displays and I never experience any glare with them, especially with the lights out.

I always hear that the MBA has 'solved' the glossy glare problem but have personally found that to be a very long way from the truth - I've borrowed one for a couple of weeks to see if I could get used to it but even after that time I found it incredibly tiresome.

I'd definitely not buy anything with a glossy display for my own usage - definitely makes me appreciate the coating on my otherwise lovely work HP.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Wasabi the J posted:

Seconding. I got rid of my old Eyefinity setup for a 21:9, though if I had to do it again, I'd get the one of the 34 inchers. Still amazing.
While I can see it being better for day-to-day use than 3x monitors, how do you find working with it on the fringe cases? I'm thinking things like games that really prefer to be full-screen for performance reasons, but don't support super-wide ratios (or do so by stretching everything), or even just something simple like a full-screen game with Vent/TS/Jabber windows open, or the ever-common MMO + anime. Do you find the lack of physical screens problematic?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

BrettRobb posted:

Just taking them out of the lovely one size fits all case that they come in gets rid of most the BLB right off the bat.

The mold casting process on these monitor housings is so bad that they're often left with the rear shell having a significant bow to them. Since the LCD panel is usually much straighter, the result by default would be that you'd left with a huge gap between the panel and front bezel trim. To counteract this, they use foam blocks along the back to bend the panel to match its shape to the housing. As you've said, this is half of the reason these things have so much backlight bleed.

You can often reduce bleed by repositioning the blocks in a way that distorts the panel less, but it's a delicate balance of figuring out much you can straighten it and how much panel gap along the front bottom you can tolerate.

I still recommend straightening out the steel bezel as well, as that only compounds the above problem.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 3, 2014

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

so should I buy a asus pb278q, pa279q, or a dell 2713hm??

kinda put off by the pb278q's lame stand

all I do games-wise with my pc is play DS2, KSP, and civ. other than that I use it to edit pictures I take on the weekends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The First FSM-270YG I bought for $279.90 on Sunday arrived yesterday, significantly beating the shipping estimate of Monday. This thing is beautiful, thanks for all your help Zorilla! I neglected to consider that I'd need a longer Dual-Link DVI cable to connect it to my machine, but I hooked it up to my roommate's box for a quick inspection and it looks great. Backlight bleed is the best I could have hoped for, it looks almost perfectly even straight-on with only very slight extra bleed along the bottom where the taskbar normally is, there are no obvious bright corners like I was afraid of. I didn't see any dead pixels when I tested with black and RGB backgrounds. The only problem is that brightness adjustment doesn't seem to be working, I'm holding the +/- down buttons next to the power button with no visual change, but maybe I'm doing it wrong and will test more thoroughly later today when I get the longer cable. IPS glow is definitely visible on a black screen, I'm hoping that I'll be able to improve this by reducing the brightness, though at the end of the day even if I'm stuck here its a HUGE improvement over the Acer P243W TN-panel I was using before.

Can anyone suggest any good test images or patterns for checking for dithering artifacts on 6-bit panels? I'm curious if I can actually see any visual artifacts going away vs just a general improvement in color quality.