Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Looks like Max may not be so sure he's only going to get a short term, still, at least this'll mean he gets regular day trips out of prison to go to court, and that's always a nice break from staring at the wall

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/03/max-clifford-faces-new-allegations-as-more-accusers-come-forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
DPD are the most useless company ever. I literally just had a van pull up outside, not even get out of the van, then say they attempted to deliver the parcel and drove off.

The only logical conclusion I can make is that Sam Beckett chose that exact moment to leap into the driver's body, assumed the only reason he could possibly be in a delivery van is to make a delivery, figured he already attempted it and decided to play along.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

BBC news says he got 8 years.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ddraig posted:

DPD are the most useless company ever. I literally just had a van pull up outside, not even get out of the van, then say they attempted to deliver the parcel and drove off.

The only logical conclusion I can make is that Sam Beckett chose that exact moment to leap into the driver's body, assumed the only reason he could possibly be in a delivery van is to make a delivery, figured he already attempted it and decided to play along.

My crowning moment was catching a DPD driver putting a "While you were out" slip through my door by opening the door while he was putting it through.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Some years ago, Citylink attempted to deliver something to me. I was in all day apart from a moment when I popped to the shop for some milk (next door but one at the time). That evening the vendor's website listed delivery attempted, but I hadn't had a card. I happened to be off the next day, so I contacted Citylink to tell them to try again.

The next day I still didn't get my parcel - or a card. Complained at Citylink again, and was told that delivery had been attempted "at the white door, no answer, left card". Can you guess what colour my door wasn't?

The nearest white door, if I remember right, was five doors down. Mine had a very visible house name and number next to it, as did most of my neighbours.

The next day they delivered to the right place, amazingly.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
Something similar happened with one of our customers. We were trying to send some goods to a frequent customer who needed them to complete a job pretty desperately and for two days in a row they didn't receive their goods. Because we use Interlink you can actually look at the photos of the doors that the drivers take to verify delivery and it turns out the driver was trying to deliver to the back door, a back door that clearly had a sign on it saying 'Please do not deliver to this door, deliver to the front door.'.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Brovine posted:

Some years ago, Citylink attempted to deliver something to me. I was in all day apart from a moment when I popped to the shop for some milk (next door but one at the time). That evening the vendor's website listed delivery attempted, but I hadn't had a card. I happened to be off the next day, so I contacted Citylink to tell them to try again.

The next day I still didn't get my parcel - or a card. Complained at Citylink again, and was told that delivery had been attempted "at the white door, no answer, left card". Can you guess what colour my door wasn't?

The nearest white door, if I remember right, was five doors down. Mine had a very visible house name and number next to it, as did most of my neighbours.

The next day they delivered to the right place, amazingly.

I had a very similar story happen, except mine was 3 days of them failing to deliver, followed by the citylink depot's supervisor having to personally drive out to deliver the item at 7:30pm, handing me the parcel and muttering 'that poo poo is so fired'.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Daily Mail have topped themselves. They're actually shocked that pro wrestling is scripted. (Warning, DM link)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Seaside Loafer posted:

BBC news says he got 8 years.

4 years custodial, 4 years suspended (is my understanding).

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Daily Mail have topped themselves.

Don't get my hopes up like that.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Except that the link I posted earlier suggests CPS are building a second case against him from other abuse victims.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

In deliverychat, there was a card through the door from the company saying they'd tried to deliver a laptop when I was out. The card said they'd left it in a safe place.
This is apparently a safe place:

Though to be fair to them, in order to deter thieves they had hidden it:

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

He got 8 years - he will serve 4 in prison and 4 under probation supervision in the community. He may also be eligible for parole prior to the 4 year mark. The fact that the sentence is 8 years is important, as if he does anything that breaks his licence conditions or is deemed risky he can be recalled to prison any time up until the 8 years is up.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Shakespearean Beef posted:

Why would i put effort into this garbage thread that allows chodes like you to post in it freely lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I don't know man, you put a lot into World of Warcraft?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Robot Mil posted:

He got 8 years - he will serve 4 in prison and 4 under probation supervision in the community.

He'll serve 8 inside if he continues on his current path of not admitting guilt and showing no contrition.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

TheHoodedClaw posted:

He'll serve 8 inside if he continues on his current path of not admitting guilt and showing no contrition.

He won't, he showed contrition in his mitigation filing. What he says to the media means diddly when it comes to what he says to the court/parole board, and he only has to show contrition for like 30 seconds behind closed doors.

e: assuming there's even a parole hearing - a 75yo man on crimes ~30 years old? they'll probably rubber stamp it without even a hearing.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 3, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Can the parole board take public comments into account?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

thehustler posted:

AFAIK only witnesses or victims from the original crime

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

TheHoodedClaw posted:

That means nothing, you don't have to admit your crime to get released at the halfway point - it's automatic if your behaviour within custody is ok and there is no evidence that you are an imminent risk to the public. Even for life sentenced prisoners denial is not an automatic barrier to release.

thehustler posted:

Public opinion can be a thing and witness/victim statements are likely to be made available to people doing risk assessments on him. They won't want to be seen to make a 'bad' decision as this is a notorious case. However random members of the public who have no real details of the case and no knowledge of risk don't make decisions about parole for a reason.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

thehustler posted:

Dangerous road to go down. If you're unpopular this shouldn't matter in the application of criminal justice, to be honest. No matter how poo poo that can be.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Semprini posted:

In deliverychat, there was a card through the door from the company saying they'd tried to deliver a laptop when I was out. The card said they'd left it in a safe place.

Inconspicuous.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I'm going to sit patiently and wait for the right wing media to scream about soft sentencing and how he should be put away forever and just because he's a rich white guy with dirt on everyone doesn't mean he's above the law.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Semprini posted:

I don't get it, where's the laptop in the second picture?

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

The worst part of the British mail service is definitely the ridiculous customs fees for importing. How am I supposed to fill my room with anime boob figures if Parcelforce keep slapping a £40-60 charge on top of everything I order?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Broniki posted:

The worst part of the British mail service is definitely the ridiculous customs fees for importing. How am I supposed to fill my room with anime boob figures if Parcelforce keep slapping a £40-60 charge on top of everything I order?

By having the sender write a customs declaration that it's a gift and slapping it on the box rather than an indication of how much it cost. Hell, the Singaporean pharmacy that provides my grey market drugs does it without me even asking.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

DesperateDan posted:

By having the sender write a customs declaration that it's a gift and slapping it on the box rather than an indication of how much it cost. Hell, the Singaporean pharmacy that provides my grey market drugs does it without me even asking.

Cool tax evasion bro!

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Postal vote for the EU election came today.

11 parties listed. 3 openly racist, 3 'UKIP' racist, 1 'UKIP of the left', the usual suspects and the Greens.

gently caress this country.

Each party had a little motto beneath it's name, some samples: "I'm English, NOT British, NOT EUropean", "Zero Immigration, Anti-EU".

Also :laffo: at An Independance from Europe "UK Independence Now" sitting at the top of the ballot with UKIP proper towards the bottom.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

Cool tax evasion bro!

That would just be avoidance, wouldn't it? It's using a legal provision to avoid tax.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Pasco posted:

11 parties listed. 3 openly racist, 3 'UKIP' racist, 1 'UKIP of the left', the usual suspects and the Greens.

Each party had a little motto beneath it's name, some samples: "I'm English, NOT British, NOT EUropean", "Zero Immigration, Anti-EU".

Also :laffo: at An Independance from Europe "UK Independence Now" sitting at the top of the ballot with UKIP proper towards the bottom.

I checked the parties listed in my area earlier today and you've just reminded me I need to ask the thread how correct the SPGB is, because the only conscionable choice I have is them or the Greens.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

That would just be avoidance, wouldn't it? It's using a legal provision to avoid tax.
No, having paid-for merchandise labelled as a gift to avoid tax/duty is not legal at all and quite plainly tax evasion.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

My experience with city link was an embarrasing one for the driver.

I will give him this, he found the right address, and got out of his van. I saw him pull up through my front window so went to the door to greet him. I was able to open the door before he got to the door, just as he was bending over to put the "you were not in" note through the door.

I politely asked for the parcel as I was there to collect, to which he sheepishly had to admit that it wasn't even loaded on the van.

As a trip to the local office was still required, I gave the manager there both barrels.

I also hen vowed to stop using any company that used citylink, telling them the reason why I wasn't using their services any more.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Yeah that's what I've heard is unofficial standard procedure for most parcel deliveries: if something doesn't fit in the vehicle, just write out a card, post it and scarper.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Malcolm XML posted:

Cool tax evasion bro!

totally! I feel entirely on a par with a firm like vodaphone dodging 6 billion in taxes because I missed a few quid tax on buying medicines online, with such a wily scam as not declaring it myself retrospectively because the pharmacy didn't bother and just stuck gift in the box. criminal loving mastermind here, had to pay a crooked financial advisor (bought a pint for my dad) and buy lunches at hmrc (once dated a call centre operator from there), no holds barred.

Next up, I'm going to gloat about that time I distilled some cider by freezing, didn't calculate ABV and send the taxman his due! you can compare me to the drinks industry and everything! Or, there was that time when I got overpaid JSA by like three quarters of a pittance and didn't get caught... Or one time I was hunting but it was technically poaching and...

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Pasco posted:

Soon it'll be "111 Party for English Independance!" followed the election after by "!!!1 for Home Counties Independence" and so on and so forth.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Robot Mil posted:

Public opinion can be a thing and witness/victim statements are likely to be made available to people doing risk assessments on him. They won't want to be seen to make a 'bad' decision as this is a notorious case. However random members of the public who have no real details of the case and no knowledge of risk don't make decisions about parole for a reason.

You kill three policemen and you aint ever getting out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Roberts_(criminal)

The criminal justice system magically changes when the police are killed as we can also see from the long running Blakelock fiasco.

The magic also seems to work the other way too, it protects the police when they kill people from even the whiff of an accusation of murder.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Pasco posted:

Oh i don't know, with any luck the knuckle-draggers will split the vote and render themselves irrelevant.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

DesperateDan posted:

totally! I feel entirely on a par with a firm like vodaphone dodging 6 billion in taxes because I missed a few quid tax on buying medicines online, with such a wily scam as not declaring it myself retrospectively because the pharmacy didn't bother and just stuck gift in the box. criminal loving mastermind here, had to pay a crooked financial advisor (bought a pint for my dad) and buy lunches at hmrc (once dated a call centre operator from there), no holds barred.

Next up, I'm going to gloat about that time I distilled some cider by freezing, didn't calculate ABV and send the taxman his due! you can compare me to the drinks industry and everything! Or, there was that time when I got overpaid JSA by like three quarters of a pittance and didn't get caught... Or one time I was hunting but it was technically poaching and...

Tell it to customs when they open a package that's marked "gift" but has a commercial invoice in it.

Also, if the value is over £36 you have to pay import VAT on it.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

Tell it to customs when they open a package that's marked "gift" but has a commercial invoice in it.

I suspect that if he's really importing prescription drugs from Singapore then failing to pay the import duty will be the least of his worries.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

Like you have never paid someone cash in hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Soon it'll be "111 Party for English Independance!" followed the election after by "!!!1 for Home Counties Independence" and so on and so forth.

I was surprise it was allowed to be alphabetical rather than randomised. Even pollsters know about 'list bias' and switch up the order of the parties to try and remove it.

Deptfordx posted:

Oh i don't know, with any luck the knuckle-draggers will split the vote and render themselves irrelevant.

We can but hope, though as this election is under PR that might just end up with more of these pricks getting elected.

• Locked thread