Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I think any setting can work, as long as you have enough licence for the player to make impactful changes within it.
So, not Greyhawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Greyhawk isn't the most aggressively boring setting for the mere fact that it has elements that will cause your average D&D grognards to burst into flames.
EDIT:
I actually like Greyhawk better because its quite readily evident that it isn't uptight about the what D&D is and that is a really goofy game to play.

As someone who has no idea (or real interest) about Greyhawk other than reading the 3e D&D books and a novel I got for free, you should elaborate about the anti-grognard aspects of Greyhawk.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sionak posted:

As someone who has no idea (or real interest) about Greyhawk other than reading the 3e D&D books and a novel I got for free, you should elaborate about the anti-grognard aspects of Greyhawk.
Greyhawk is the opposite of a serious fantasy world. It has Sci-fi stuff like crashed spaceships, countries with names like "Geoff" and a quasi-deity who's literally an old west cowboy paladin with six shooters.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Greyhawk is the opposite of a serious fantasy world. It has Sci-fi stuff like crashed spaceships, countries with names like "Geoff" and a quasi-deity who's literally an old west cowboy paladin with six shooters.

I thought that was Mystara, not Greyhawk?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Mystara ran with it while Greyhawk had it shaved off over the years, is the main difference. You will only find those bits of Greyhawk while Gygax still had full rights to it, assuming you can stand his writing.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Murlynd, of Murlynd's Spoon fame, is the quasi-deity cowboy in question.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

I thought that was Mystara, not Greyhawk?
Mystara was also really lax in its fantasy.

When it came down to it, Greyhawk is, at its core, a collection of stuff Gary and his players thought was fun in the 70's, along with crazy ideas, in-jokes, references to other popular media, and sometimes sheer laziness.

It's the same group that got us gelatinous cubes and rust monsters, remember.

The fact that there is now a "canon" is hilarious because now there are actual important canon NPCs named Erac's Cousin, Bigby, Rigby, Xagyg, Gaxx, and so on.

I'll be fair, though, and note that a lot of the guys who love AD&D actually know it's silly and roll with it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Mystara ran with it while Greyhawk had it shaved off over the years, is the main difference. You will only find those bits of Greyhawk while Gygax still had full rights to it, assuming you can stand his writing.

Yeah, as I understand, Greyhawk has gone to great lengths to REMOVE a lot of the silliness. Nowadays it's more or less the very archtype of a bland, featureless sword and sorcery world.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, as I understand, Greyhawk has gone to great lengths to REMOVE a lot of the silliness. Nowadays it's more or less the very archtype of a bland, featureless sword and sorcery world.
How the hell did they get rid of the Metamorphosis Alpha spaceship?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Well, I suppose maybe less "remove" and more "pretend it never happened." They never have some event where it just goes away, but they very notably never, ever bring it up and let the whole thing just go forgotten.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I guess it's kind of a blessing Mystara got "left behind" then, because all the weird stuff got to stick around instead of being slowly removed by omission.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
It helps that they haven't published a setting book for Greyhawk since the 90s.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Again going from memory, but, since Greyhawk was technically the "official setting" for 3.x, all 3.x non-campaign based fluff books were about Greyhawk. There was also Living Greyhawk, and I'm pretty sure there were a few Greyhawk books or atlases or SOMETHING in 3.x.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gau posted:

It helps that they haven't published a setting book for Greyhawk since the 90s.

November 2000, for D&D 3.0. 192 pages and a bind-in map.

It's as dull as loving dishwater, the archetypal Greyhawk product with lots of linguistic maps and population breakdowns.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Someone's played Treasure Hunters because the contest it was in mandated playtesting, so there's that. (It's by forums poster Bahamut in case you're wondering.)

And for those wondering.

That first contest was the wild west of contests.

It didn't have the popular weekly progress checkpoints that many of the later contests did, and I'm not sure playtesting was actually mandated. However, Treasure Hunters was playtested and as a result of that playtest the final design of the game was adjusted. (Mostly because the original final showdown rules were really not very good.) My greatest regret is that I didn't supply more information about the setting of Treasure Hunters, but I've been looking to remedy that with The Ruined World.

P.d0t posted:

Any ideas/plans for a May contest, or is that already a thing and i somehow missed it?
The May contest should, in some way, revolve around making a literal elfgame. A game about elves doing elf-things, whatever those might be. Kind of like the exact opposite of Talislanta. All goddamn elves, all the goddamn time. I'd love to run a contest sometime, but between shyness and time constraints, I won't be running one anytime soon.

Actually, the unfinished spring cleaning idea is a good one. I'd get back to working on Galavant! Space Hijinx in a heartbeat. Except I really need to have Endless Adventures ready for August long weekend.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

P.d0t posted:

Any ideas/plans for a May contest, or is that already a thing and i somehow missed it?

I was planning on running one that I mentioned in the last month chat thread (RPGs specifically designed for PBP), but I'm busy with this Google+ Design Duel, so that'll have to wait for a month or two.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Fuego Fish posted:

With Deadlands slated for a television series, how long do you think it'll be until we get a Crimson Skies series?

Don't play with my heart, you rear end in a top hat. :smith:

Though I'd actually rather have another Crimson Skies video game. Or a really really well done RPG. Too bad I've never found an RPG that made air combat interesting and satisfying IMO.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Don't play with my heart, you rear end in a top hat. :smith:

Though I'd actually rather have another Crimson Skies video game. Or a really really well done RPG. Too bad I've never found an RPG that made air combat interesting and satisfying IMO.
I'm trying to think of a genre where vehicle combat is a big deal (Crimson Skies, Car Wars, mecha robots, etc.) that ever had an RPG that worked and didn't feel like just a bolt-on to a tabletop wargame, and I'm not coming up with any.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

ProfessorCirno posted:

Munchkin is plenty of fun, and paying a buck to spend two hours playing a silly elf card game and meet people is fine. I'm kinda glad you'd never do that, because it means I never have to worry about meeting you.
:thejoke:

But seriously, to each their own. I just find the kingmaking endgame tends to way overstay its welcome.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

People that have different tastes than me are obviously horrible people that should never be played with.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

FMguru posted:

I'm trying to think of a genre where vehicle combat is a big deal (Crimson Skies, Car Wars, mecha robots, etc.) that ever had an RPG that worked and didn't feel like just a bolt-on to a tabletop wargame, and I'm not coming up with any.

Forums Terrorist is actually working on this! We'll let you know how it goes.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

FMguru posted:

Revnants and Warbirds are the best I've found.

It might be something for me to work on in my copious free time™.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DigitalRaven posted:

Revnants and Warbirds are the best I've found.
Interesting, I'll take a look at those.

One that I just remembered was the old FASA Star Trek RPG, where the players were the bridge crew and had typical skills 'n stats for fighting and adventuring, but who also all had roles when starship combat broke out. The Captain barked commands, but the individual players & characters did the work - the Engineer allocated power, the Navigator raised deflectors, the Science officer ran the scanners, the Communication officer handled damage and damage control, the Doctor tended to casualties, the Helmsman moved the ship and fired the weapons, and so on. It was clunky and not everyone played an equal part but pretty advanced for a game from 1983.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Kellsterik posted:

There's a Bibliomancer spell in Unknown Armies that lets you use the skills of a character in a book. The examples are like "Sherlock Holmes' investigation ability, James Bond's persuasiveness". When we were new to the game one of my players asked if he could do "magic like Gandalf", and I still don't know what the right answer would have been.

I've been reading the comic book series the Invisibles and it started to give me an idea for an UA game. I started reading the book again to refresh my memory of the game and I came across the Bibliomancy section. It answers your question. Under Effect, it says the spell allows for the use of any mundane skill. I'd say magic like Gandalf isn't mundane, so they can't do it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, at a glance through their website this looks interesting. I'll have to look into some reviews and stuff. Great, now I'm on the verge of another $17 bucks disappearing from my wallet. :argh:

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Did anyone else visit their comic book shop for Free Comic Book Day today? There's an RPG-related Regular Show story reprinted from the back of Regular Show #9 in Kaboom's offering this year that I found amusing. I'll let the first page speak for itself:

If you've got a store nearby, they might still have some of Kaboom's FCBD issue laying around if you want to pick it (or other free comics) up.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 4, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So, I was in an on-and-off 4e game (mostly off) and the DM has abruptly aborted it in favor of Pathfinder.
What's the best way to break the news that I'm not sticking around?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously considering passing my judging duties for my contest to somebody who can actually do them right now. I feel incredibly lovely about not being able to fulfill my obligations, and at this point I'd feel marginally less bad about passing off the responsibility than I would for leaving it hanging indefinitely.

E:

P.d0t posted:

So, I was in an on-and-off 4e game (mostly off) and the DM has abruptly aborted it in favor of Pathfinder.

"Hey let me know when you're using an adequate system again"

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

P.d0t posted:

"Eh I'll sit the Campaign out."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That sounds like good advice, though if you actually like gaming with these people I have no idea why the system would be a dealbreaker.

The only time I ever balked at the idea of sticking around for a campaign was the only time I ever played Villains & Vigilantes, and the random creation system rolled me "decent super strength and super toughness guy" and then rolled another player "much higher super strength and super toughness guy who also has super speed and ice powers" or something, and I was like "ummmm... yeah let me know when you switch systems!" (Though of course this must be how you feel about Pathfinder; I confess I have never actually played it)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My first RPG experience was a year of trying to run Pathfinder. Even before I encountered grogs.txt I was figuring out the system sucked.

Then I found out about how lovely it was in every other sense :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tollymain posted:

"Hey let me know when you're using an adequate system again"

You are probably going to look like an rear end in a top hat if you say that and the GM guy will be justified if he stops speaking to you or even play with you again but hey, gotta bear the standard of good game design.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, at a glance through their website this looks interesting. I'll have to look into some reviews and stuff. Great, now I'm on the verge of another $17 bucks disappearing from my wallet. :argh:

I backed the kickstarter and have never regretted it. It's a simple system, but this is their third iteration of it and it's worked really well for my group so far. I highly recommend it.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Knitted Art posted:

You are probably going to look like an rear end in a top hat if you say that and the GM guy will be justified if he stops speaking to you or even play with you again but hey, gotta bear the standard of good game design.

Depending on how the other players feel this is what will happen. Have you tried just saying "Hey, I'm not too keen on Pathfinder"? It's possible the DM is a reasonable person who will take all input.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look, Pathfinder is objectively a mechanically bad system steeped in a community of horrible people with horrible opinions but honestly I've got nothing more to say than

Knitted Art posted:

You are probably going to look like an rear end in a top hat if you say that

:ironicat:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It's possible for a bad person to say the right thing!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

Depending on how the other players feel this is what will happen. Have you tried just saying "Hey, I'm not too keen on Pathfinder"? It's possible the DM is a reasonable person who will take all input.

See, that would be a reasonable way to try and solve the problem and not dropping the game with a passive-aggressive pithy reply like a bitch-made n*gga :angel:. And even so just because the GM is changing system it doesn't mean he's the strawman 4e-hating Paizo fanboy grog that people paint.

Tollymain posted:

community of horrible people with horrible opinions

Hmm...

There.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I saw someone talking about Mystara on another forum and they mentioned how Karameikos is specifically a kind of generic, foresty-adventure place so that there will be somewhere "familiar" for people to start before getting into the way less traditional areas. I think my problem with Greyhawk is that they never went beyond that kind of place. Like, one of the countries is called "The Yeomanry" and it is an entire country of farmers who own their own land.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Hi, this is the chat thread, not the YCS petty bickering thread. loving take it to DDRD or anywhere not here for that poo poo. This means you plutonis and tolly, knock it the gently caress off. Final notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Like, one of the countries is called "The Yeomanry" and it is an entire country of farmers who own their own land.

That's not very...fantastic? Unless revolutionary-type states or private property concepts aren't part of normal "generic" fantasy worlds. Or is that part of the Greyhawk setting and not the other one?

• Locked thread