Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

The direct hit system - which is why the halberd hits harder with the blade - is in every weapon in this game.

Any idea how this system interacts with Santier's Spear or elemental damage buffs (e.g. sunlight blade)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Control Volume posted:

It's probably good to think of the Dragonrider as the blocking boss and the Dragonslayer as the dodging boss. Dragonslayer has a lot of telegraphed forward pokes that are easy to roll out of the way of at any agility level. Probably the best boss in the game to start learning how to go shieldless.
Or it would be, if his spear's hitbox were actually where the loving spear is. :argh:

heat posted:

Seems like distance matters, and I really notice it while fighting multiple enemies; a swing will kill the closest one but not kill the one behind it.
It definitely does. I've been swinging my Mastodon Greatsword into crowds a lot recently, and while enemies close and even slightly behind me take full damage, anyone on the very edge of the hitbox takes reduced by half. This is super visible with the Magic Sword spell. The swing's range is giant, but the damage falls off quickly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DoctorStrangelove posted:

After Smelter Demon, the loving Old Iron King is such a loving pathetic joke. I beat it on my first try holy poo poo. They really should have switched the two, one was the hardest boss yet and the other the easiest. God drat.
The first spoilered boss was really easy for me, which has me worried. I beat him first try. Drangleic Shield solves all problems. Flash Sweat ended up solving the rest. It made me feel really smart to have attuned that right at the start. I might also have had that buff from the Lockstone still up too.

The Iron Keep is so weird. Sure, I guess we'll go from poison city down an elevator to a giant fortress that was so heavy it sank into the ground and opened up lavaflows. So why is there a nice elevator right there? Why did we come here from Earthen Peak, of all places? That whole path is strange and just feels like unrelated areas stacked next to each other.

edit: vvvv Sentinels and Blooddudes (I think) need net wins too, so have fun with that. :v:

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 3, 2014

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
So if covenants don't get reset in NG+ does that mean you are forever limited to 1 copy of covenants rewards?

And while I'm on the subject, why are covenant tiers so out of whack with one another? I mean like Heirs to the Sun, 30 co-op wins might take you like an hour and a half to 2 hours. The dragon remnants might take 2 to 4 depending on how good at PvP you are. Bell Bros, 100 wins is a lot, but at least the wait times are practically non-existent and the area you're in is miniscule, and on top of that you will often be going 2v1 so you should progress fairly fast. Then there are the blue sentinels, 150 loving players killed, what the gently caress. Besides the fact that the ring barely ever works, even if you are just dueling, getting 150 wins 1v1 would take a ridiculous amount of time. All it basically means is that I'm going to have to wait until NG++ to get all the miracles.
:negative:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

AtillatheBum posted:

So if covenants don't get reset in NG+ does that mean you are forever limited to 1 copy of covenants rewards?

And while I'm on the subject, why are covenant tiers so out of whack with one another? I mean like Heirs to the Sun, 30 co-op wins might take you like an hour and a half to 2 hours. The dragon remnants might take 2 to 4 depending on how good at PvP you are. Bell Bros, 100 wins is a lot, but at least the wait times are practically non-existent and the area you're in is miniscule, and on top of that you will often be going 2v1 so you should progress fairly fast. Then there are the blue sentinels, 150 loving players killed, what the gently caress. Besides the fact that the ring barely ever works, even if you are just dueling, getting 150 wins 1v1 would take a ridiculous amount of time. All it basically means is that I'm going to have to wait until NG++ to get all the miracles.
Bloodbros: 300 wins plus how ever many fights you lost, which is at least another 100 fights right there unless you got ungodly lucky and only ever fight scrubs.

I honestly don't even think this is doable without Soul Memory-ing yourself right out of the viable range to have any better-than-even chance at winning at all.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

laplace posted:

Because the Skeletons actually interrupt the flow, and most of the time just end up dying to the Chariot itself. It becomes much more interesting and tense if you were to remove the skeletons, maybe space the doors out a little bit more, in order to create an isolated experience between you and instant death instead of the fight just being "punch some skeletons in a doorway, and then kill a horse."

Sure, the Chariot is an ever-present threat but making the direct threats the skeletons (who can just gently caress you over by preventing you from getting to Cover) it removes the action from the Chariot and makes the chariot into an environmental factor as opposed to a direct aggressor.

I like the fight but it felt more like fighting skeletons than it did facing the actual Chariot because of that.

If you removed the skeletons it would be just "Kill a horse". And relying on door spacing for tension isn't going to work since depending on how many points the player puts into stamina it's just going to be easy and tedious or literally impossible.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

AtillatheBum posted:

Removing the infinite red eye orb wasn't the brightest idea. Pretty much the blue cops thrive on invasions, and well considering red eye orbs are a pain in the rear end to get due to the abysmal drop rate it has or how expensive they are once you join the Blood bros (10k per each). Hopefully From decides to put the infinite red eye orb back. I mean the Blue Cop Cov sounds like the perfect covenant for people who want to help others who don't like being invaded.

Either that or lower the requirements for rank 3 of Blood Bros.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Hmm, can't get past the title screen over here. Says the service is unavailable. East coast US for what it's worth.

East Coast US (FL) and can't connect to server as well.

Are we forming a support group? :smith:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Its weird that you get both the Blue Covs right out of the gate...well before anyone could possibly invade you or other people, essentially making them useless.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Its weird that you get both the Blue Covs right out of the gate...well before anyone could possibly invade you or other people, essentially making them useless.
You got the Way of White right at the beginning of DS1 too, it's probably a callback to that.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

So I beat the Pursuer and the Dragonrider solo. Admittedly the Dragonrider was so easy since I just cheesed him by blocking literally every attack and then poking him during his resets. Then I went and fought the Dragon Slayer and, well, the blocking strategy no longer works to put it mildly. His hits take off twice as much stamina as the rider. I called it quits after playing all morning after dying to him twice.

But hey, baby dark souls player is growing up so fast.

Throwing items and a Club help out a bunch. I saw a newbie take him out at SL 7 and you just have to dodge stuff carefully, it's not too hard.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Nechronic posted:

East Coast US (FL) and can't connect to server as well.

Are we forming a support group? :smith:

I think it's only the login server that's having problems because the actual game server is still obviously up and if you logged in earlier you can still stay online.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Domattee posted:

If you removed the skeletons it would be just "Kill a horse". And relying on door spacing for tension isn't going to work since depending on how many points the player puts into stamina it's just going to be easy and tedious or literally impossible.

Stamina has a softcap, so It wouldn't really matter that much due to the massive diminishing returns. The doors are pretty closely placed already -- There are about 2 for a stamina's worth of running at 20 END (the softcap). Most of my deaths at least, and my roommates are due to the Skeletons just crowding the doorways, less than actually missing the doors themselves. I agree the horse at the end would be lame and is lame no matter how you spin it, but at least the end would be "You kill the threat that has been aggressing you the entire time" instead of "You kill the environmental factor that has hosed you over after killing all the other annoying enemies." I just think the actual Chariot section would be tighter if the loss to the chariot itself was a direct result of the player's actions and the Chariot's aggression as opposed to the aggression of other enemies.

Plus, putting trashmobs in boss fights just sort of cheapens the bosses and their presence in general unless it has serious thematic reason for it, See Astraea's fight, where every single thing wants to kill you because everything except you has a reason to protect Astraea. In the Chariot fight it's just... "oooh spooky skeletons because... YEAH!!"

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Fashionsouls crew representin'

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Vendrick's bodyguard is causing me way more hassle than he should. He's a straightforward block or avoid goon with some spell casting that is basically just free hits, but his mace occasionally nukes me outside of its swing. :(

e: It's cool I got that bitch.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 3, 2014

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I agree with you that the boss fight would be better if the tension was purely between you and the chariot but there is no way to do that while still having the alcove gimmick (which is really the entire point of the fight). It's always going to be either a boring "run,hide,run,kill horse" or a bullshit "I can't reach that alcove before the instakill boss gets me". You have to add some extra element to the alcoves to make hiding in them an actual challenge, and the skeletons do that job just fine.

What I'd have liked is if the rider of the chariot was actually the necromancer reviving the skeletons and they don't stop coming until you crash him into the gate.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

laplace posted:

Stamina has a softcap, so It wouldn't really matter that much due to the massive diminishing returns. The doors are pretty closely placed already -- There are about 2 for a stamina's worth of running at 20 END (the softcap). Most of my deaths at least, and my roommates are due to the Skeletons just crowding the doorways, less than actually missing the doors themselves. I agree the horse at the end would be lame and is lame no matter how you spin it, but at least the end would be "You kill the threat that has been aggressing you the entire time" instead of "You kill the environmental factor that has hosed you over after killing all the other annoying enemies." I just think the actual Chariot section would be tighter if the loss to the chariot itself was a direct result of the player's actions and the Chariot's aggression as opposed to the aggression of other enemies.

Plus, putting trashmobs in boss fights just sort of cheapens the bosses and their presence in general unless it has serious thematic reason for it, See Astraea's fight, where every single thing wants to kill you because everything except you has a reason to protect Astraea. In the Chariot fight it's just... "oooh spooky skeletons because... YEAH!!"
I don't think removing the skeletons would do much to change the fight, either. They're more of an environmental hazard instead of being actually meant to fight - their biggest danger comes from the possibility of them blocking you from reaching an alcove in time. They're nothing that couldn't have been done with moving spikes or flamethrowers.

Domattee posted:

What I'd have liked is if the rider of the chariot was actually the necromancer reviving the skeletons and they don't stop coming until you crash him into the gate.
On the other hand, that would actually be pretty cool.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Domattee posted:

This would also be great! It would directly link the Chariot to the Skeletons, the disconnect there is my big issue with that fight.

Honestly, slightly widening the Hallway and removing the alcoves altogether would be interesting too, Making it so that you need to react to what side/area the Chariot is actually in as opposed to just running into can't-get-hit bingo squares. It'd put a much more interesting emphasis on spacing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

KoldPT posted:

Fashionsouls crew representin'

Lookin' good. What is that you've mixed together there? Looks familiar. I'm guessing the body is Looking Glass Knight.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The head looks like Heide Knight and the gauntlets and legs are from the Dark set.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Nah, that's the archdrake helmet set with the throne watcher armor with dark gauntlets and dark legs.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The gently caress is this server poo poo? I was specifically logging in to do jolly co-op as well :(

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Went completely blind into Smelter Demon and had little problem with him since Lucatiel gives zero fucks. After leveling up I decided to go for a little stroll around the keep in full Havels and ended up backing up into Smelter's boss room again. Imagine my surprise to see my old friend from so long ago hanging around there. To bad I panicked and jumped out of the room, causing him to teleport away.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

After Smelter Demon, the loving Old Iron King is such a loving pathetic joke. I beat it on my first try holy poo poo. They really should have switched the two, one was the hardest boss yet and the other the easiest. God drat.
Theres a lore reason for that
The Smelter demon rose out of the Lava to smite the Old Iron King or something

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Laughing Zealot posted:

Went completely blind into Smelter Demon and had little problem with him since Lucatiel gives zero fucks. After leveling up I decided to go for a little stroll around the keep in full Havels and ended up backing up into Smelter's boss room again. Imagine my surprise to see my old friend from so long ago hanging around there. To bad I panicked and jumped out of the room, causing him to teleport away.

Just go back to the BF, rest and he'll show up again.

edit: Yeah lore reasons, Smolder Demon whoop the OIK's rear end so badly, that OIK decided to basically hurl himself into the lava.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Uh, so theres some server problems I'm assuming?

I hope this time it saves progress while offline now that there is now windows live to gently caress everything up.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
There's one thing that I thought was super cool about the chariot fight that made it go from a pain the rear end to a.. easy, cool, revenge uh thingie.

Basically after a dozen failed co-op attempts (often ending before the switch), I went with a "cheap" strategy solo by never waking the skeletons and just hiding in an alcove flinging pyromaniacs and arrows at it every time it passed by. Bitch went down easy

It even had a unique kill animation like in DS1 with the Ceaseless Discharge dangling from a ledge by one hand.

So like a decade after the online part of the game has died off, theres a backdoor sorta that makes the fight easily managable. Pretty nice forward thinking from From there.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Does anyone know if we are completely safe to play characters in both offline and online modes? I want to start a new character already!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is the sword of the Lost Sinner any good at all?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Gortarius posted:

Uh, so theres some server problems I'm assuming?

I hope this time it saves progress while offline now that there is now windows live to gently caress everything up.

Yes it saves progress offline. No GFWL poo poo to gently caress up like you said. Also servers are fine on my side here.

Sinner Sword is basically the best against sinners so yeah find a bunch of people who invaded and it will wreck their poo poo.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Beat Last Giant and Pursuer on NG solo (Since the servers are making GBS threads themselves).

So far I have to say NG feels like a bit of a cop out. Copy-pasting red phantoms doesn't necessarily make for a more engaging experience, especially since you have none of the convenience from the end of your first game. Couldn't they at least have the merchants ready so I can upgrade and buy stuff right away?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Senethro posted:

Does anyone know if we are completely safe to play characters in both offline and online modes? I want to start a new character already!

Yes it's completely safe.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Beat Last Giant and Pursuer on NG solo (Since the servers are making GBS threads themselves).

So far I have to say NG feels like a bit of a cop out. Copy-pasting red phantoms doesn't necessarily make for a more engaging experience, especially since you have none of the convenience from the end of your first game. Couldn't they at least have the merchants ready so I can upgrade and buy stuff right away?

The starting areas are pretty easy on NG+ yes, but it gets better later how do you like dual pursuers.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 3, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

There's one thing that I thought was super cool about the chariot fight that made it go from a pain the rear end to a.. easy, cool, revenge uh thingie.

Basically after a dozen failed co-op attempts (often ending before the switch), I went with a "cheap" strategy solo by never waking the skeletons and just hiding in an alcove flinging pyromaniacs and arrows at it every time it passed by. Bitch went down easy

It even had a unique kill animation like in DS1 with the Ceaseless Discharge dangling from a ledge by one hand.

So like a decade after the online part of the game has died off, theres a backdoor sorta that makes the fight easily managable. Pretty nice forward thinking from From there.

How do you not wake up the skeletons? I thought the closest alcove was after the first couple of skeletons.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
They wake up no matter what, so you either run all the way where the necromancer is, or you be like a boss and fight in the opening and roll under the chariot when it tries to run you over.

Obviously not like in front of it. :v:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Well, the PC version looks a heck of a lot better than the PS3 version.

All the people on Reddit and the Namco forums who bitch about getting invaded constantly must love it when the servers are down.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Does anyone else get terrible framerate when the servers are down and you are playing in offline mode? I assume it has something to do with the autosave but it doesn't happen while I'm online.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Is the thing that swoops at you in Sinner's Rise Pursueagle or a dragon? I honestly can't ever tell because I'm too busy fighting crossbow assholes. It sounds kind of like a dragon but that eagle sounds pretty weird too, and I thought I saw Our Good Chum hanging from its talons last time but I wasn't sure.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Where are you guys finding all this cool armor. I'm 40 hours into the game and I have hardly anything.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How do I make my weapon do additional fire/lightning/dark/magic damage? I've got my mace at +10 and I have some magic upgrade items...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

White Phosphorus posted:

Where are you guys finding all this cool armor. I'm 40 hours into the game and I have hardly anything.

Don't feel bad. The drop rates on anything cool looking (that you don't buy from the boss armor vendor) tend to be beyond poo poo, such that I've played the game through like 10 times or something and my last playthrough was the first one where I got a kickass looking red lion cape from the lion-men.