Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Agreed. Who gives a poo poo, Teddy can diagnose plays and make good decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I like this reddit analysis better

quote:

Teddy Bridgewater
College: Louisville
Combine Results
Activity Measurement
Height
6' 2"
Weight
214 lbs
Arm Length
33"
Hand Size
9 1/4"
Overview
Teddy Bridgewater is an almost 3 year starter out of Louisville and is widely considered to be the most pro ready Quaterback in the draft. He measures out okay though he wants to get to the 220lbs area which I would like to see. His deep ball accuarcy is probably one of the biggest issues I have with him and his recievers are forced to come back on some of them though the majority of them are still completed. What really impresses me is his ability to read defenses and not make mistakes. He takes more snaps from center than the other "Big 3" Quaterbacks which will help him transition. I guess the main question is, "Is he worth the number one pick?"
So going through the game tape one of the first things I noticed is how well he controls the pocket. He doesn't look to scramble at all (unless a big opurtunity is open) and is great at extending plays. His eyes are constantly upfield reading the defense looking for the right receiver to go to. I noted his scrambling ability earlier and while Bortles and Manziel scramble more often Bridgewater only really scrambles when the defense is giving him which leads to a higher successful play % on his QB Scrambles his is 59%, while Bortles is 57% and Manziel is 58%. This is including throwing which is one of the most prominant reasons that I believe Bridgewater is the number one prospect coming out of this draft because he is absolutely outstanding throwing against pressure compared to the other QB's who look to run more. While Bridgewater doesn't have the legs that Manziel does he still puts up solid gains when forced to run upfield Manziel averages about 7.29 YPC while Bridgewater is an even 7 YPC (Bortles is 6.9 for those interested.) His accuracy is great all over the field and most of his interceptions come from his throws sometimes losing power in the air. Another really impressing thing to watch him on tapes is on 3rd downs how paitent he can be making the throw to get the team a first down.
After all that I figure yes, Bridgewater is a lock to be the QB we need to take there are issues though. His throwing power loses momentum quicker than a lot of NFL QBs and sometimes he arcs the Deep Balls a little too much which gives College secondary's too much time to get into position. Another huge concern for me is his size, I know he measured out well in the draft but once in the NFL he needs to stay above the 210lb mark at least. He has had no injury issues at college though so I have to assume he will be okay in the NFL but if he gets too thin that could be an issue moving forward.
There's no way Bridgewater will be the last of these 3 on the board I do not see that happening in a million years. I believe he can be a franchise QB and can be plugged into any team to start right away. I would love to see the Texans take him at 1 because I really don't believe he makes it past the 5th pick in the draft under any circumstances. I still wouldn't be dissapointed to see Clowney taken but right now anyone other than these two as the first pick, and I would be dissapointed.
Videos
Keeps eyes up field zings it to an open receiver great awareness
Five man rush great accuracy
His poise against the blitz is outstanding at times
Open guy in front of him pressure gets to him here
Ability to make plays out of virtually nothing
Great read + pass
Not a terrile throw but loses a lot of power giving defender enough time to come in to make the play
Not a video but a breakdown of his passing statistics

I don't really wanna transcribe links :effort:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is still the best analysis on Bridgewater.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2026233-nfl-draft-2014-remembering-why-teddy-bridgewater-is-a-top-qb-prospect

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Aniki posted:

I'm also curious about the claims that the offense was designed for the QB to make simple reads, so if true, I am not sure how big of a concern that is. It is pretty much a requirement for me that a QB needs to be able to go through their progressions, because watching the past few years of Ponder made it clear how horrible it is for a QB to just make a read before the snap and just stare down the receiver.

You know the sick part is that Jimbo's offense at FSU that Ponder ran in college is wayyyyy more complex than most NFL offenses.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@mortreport 5m
Another "surprise" QB team to watch: Bengals, even though there are needs at CB & DL. Teddy Bridgewater is in discussion as fallback option

lol andy dalton

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

OperaMouse posted:

Boy, did that RB #28 miss his block, while 3 linemen are blocking #73.

Sharrif Floyd owns.

You know who else owns? Dominique Easley. He's going to be awesome if his ligaments can stay in place for a bit.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

@mortreport 5m
Another "surprise" QB team to watch: Bengals, even though there are needs at CB & DL. Teddy Bridgewater is in discussion as fallback option

lol andy dalton

Are they aware that Bridgewater isn't a ginger?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

This throw is real beautiful and maybe the best "show a gif of a prospect to show how good he is" gif I've seen.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Zerilan posted:

This throw is real beautiful and maybe the best "show a gif of a prospect to show how good he is" gif I've seen.

That looks like Drew Brees to me.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Ehud posted:

@mortreport 5m

lol andy dalton

This would not surprise me at all, like I've posted before, I don't think they'll trade up or anything but if a top 3 QB is sitting there at 24 I think they have to think long and hard about it

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Where is Jeremiah Attouchu expected to go in this draft? I just got finished rewatching Geogia Tech's game against Georgia and I remember whenever I watched Tech he was very impressive.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

This looks reaaaal similar to a certain play from the 2007 NFCCG, only Bridgewater doesn't funsling the ball.

edit:

Brannock fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 3, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think I've seen a Favre playoff interception where he wasn't throwing across his body while running the opposite way.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think I've seen a Favre playoff interception where he wasn't throwing across his body while running the opposite way.

True, but it was just so magic to watch, especially that game.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I finished a draft of a draft pick boom/bust analysis (using Doug Drinen's career approximate value/CAV: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=525). This is basically a slightly updated/different version of what Kevin Meers did here: http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/how-to-value-nfl-draft-picks/

Data are from the 1980-2006 drafts. Average CAV starts falling off after 2006 because players haven't been in the league long enough to assess their career, though you could get a couple/few more recent years in there with an adjustment if you had to. I dumped everything after pick# 250, so we're looking at 7 rounds + a little into 8 pre-1993. Data from here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/.

Finally, for some reason the vast majority of CBs and FS/SSs were all called "DBs" in the dataset. I am going to post an updated version of this on my website at some point and I'll update that and have more to say about each graphic. If I get time I'll do a quick look at how different teams have drafted differently.

Let's start with what kind of Career Approximate Value you see at Draft, by Draft position.

That QB at pick 199 is, of course, Tom Brady. The distribution is very bottom-heavy no matter where you slice it, but the first pick average CAV is ~67, your average pick CAV~=16, and your median pick CAV~=6.

Breaking that down by position:

Drinen wisely didn't let any K or P or FB have a stratospheric CAV :) TE would probably look different in recent years/will look different going forward. First thing that jumps out at me is that your best bet, historically, late in the draft are Guards and Centers, and they're similar positions so that higher plateau might not be a fluke.

So when have teams tended to pick which position?

This isn't a great graphic, and a lot of it is "no duh" stuff. Most of the action is in the first line segment (difference between picks 1-25 and 26-50), and this would be my summary:
-Positions that were disproportionately selected in early/mid round 1: QB, T, RB, DE
-Positions that were disproportionately NOT selected in early/mid round 1: LB, DB, G, C, TE
-Positions that were rarely picked early, mostly picked later in the draft: P, K, FB
-Positions that were selected steadily through draft: WR, DT

Not sure if that plunge in late-round-7 flyers on LBs and DBs is due to a pre/post-1993 difference or what.

So splitting the CAV by position sort-of looked at boom/bust potential, but let's approach that in a more focused way. Here is a plot with the players at CAV "deciles" (20% = better CAV than 20% of players at that pick and worse CAV than the other 80% at that pick), with lines fitted to each decile.

One could make a case for different definition of a bust pick or boom pick, but I went with:

Bust: Below the "30%" curve OR CAV <=1. (Late in the draft more than 30% of picks are CAV <=1)
Boom: Above the "70%" curve AND CAV AT LEAST 15 (Late in the draft less than 30% of picks are CAV >=15)
Middling: Everything else

Note that this means an average player picked in round 7 is a boom pick, while an average player picked in round 1 is a bust. The overall picture is the following:

Finally, let's look at the proportion of boom/busts by draft pick window and position:

QBs were the most prone to boom/bust (have the thinnest green ribbon), unsurprisingly.
Early picks on TEs and RBs have been prone to bust.
OLs drafted early rarely bust, as IcePhoenix suggested.
Punter(s) have been selected in picks 25-50 before :monocle:
(still looking at this last one, happy for suggestions / feedback)

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

pangstrom posted:

Finally, let's look at the proportion of boom/busts by draft pick window and position:

QBs were the most prone to boom/bust (have the thinnest green ribbon), unsurprisingly.
Early picks on TEs and RBs have been prone to bust.
OLs drafted early rarely bust, as IcePhoenix suggested.
Punter(s) have been selected in picks 25-50 before :monocle:
(still looking at this last one, happy for suggestions / feedback)

That early drop in FB value is interesting to me- it looks like that is the position with the greatest fluctuation from 1-25 to 26-50. Is that just a sample size thing or something?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

BougieBitch posted:

That early drop in FB value is interesting to me- it looks like that is the position with the greatest fluctuation from 1-25 to 26-50. Is that just a sample size thing or something?

Yeah, sample size. It's comparing these 2 guys:

Year Rnd Pick Name CAV
1983 1 13 James Jones 42
1986 1 15 John Williams 66

With these 4:

1991 1 27 Jarrod Bunch 7
1994 1 28 William Floyd 22
1999 2 43 Rob Konrad 9
1990 2 42 Carwell Gardner 7

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Democrazy posted:

Where is Jeremiah Attouchu expected to go in this draft? I just got finished rewatching Geogia Tech's game against Georgia and I remember whenever I watched Tech he was very impressive.

CBS Sports Big Board: #51
Fanspeak Big Board: #37
WalterFootball Big Board: #78
SB Nation Big Board: #50
Bleacherreport Big Board: #88
Draftek Big Board: #28
Nolan Nawrocki's Big Boaahahahaha just kidding

So probably 2nd round, give or take :shrug:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Democrazy posted:

Early 2nd round projection, in several mock drafts.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Democrazy posted:

Watch the Cardinals in the second. Looks like a great fit to me.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

This would not surprise me at all, like I've posted before, I don't think they'll trade up or anything but if a top 3 QB is sitting there at 24 I think they have to think long and hard about it
I think they would think about it if they stayed at 24, but Geoff Hobson mentioned briefly how the Bengals wouldn't mind trading down and specifically mentioned Houston and Jacksonville. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals started that rumor themselves.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Pangstorm: That's awesome, I'm still looking over a lot of it, but I'm sure that took you a lot of time, it's got some very interesting stuff in there. I'd love to see some of the positional CAV scatterplots in a larger size/set out individually.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Internet rumors making the rounds today that the Patriots are going to "blow the top off" of the draft with a monster trade involving ... Ryan Mallett.

Thursday had better be tomorrow :bang:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Coldforge posted:

Internet rumors making the rounds today that the Patriots are going to "blow the top off" of the draft with a monster trade involving ... Ryan Mallett.

It's too bad Mallett's best friend isn't a GM for the Browns anymore

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Ehud posted:

Sharrif Floyd owns.

You know who else owns? Dominique Easley. He's going to be awesome if his ligaments can stay in place for a bit.

I want the Niners to snag him with one of their 5 Day 2 picks and stash him on the shelf while he heals up so bad. Carradine-Easley interior DL of the future, baby.

Coldforge posted:

There's no way in hell Ryan Mallet with one more year on his contract figures to substantially change the landscape of this draft in any way. Especially since Lombardi's not running the Browns anymore.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

All that means is that one of the teams in the top 10 might trade for Mallett with a day 3 pick and then won't draft a qb in the top 10, so technically it would alter how the top 10 plays out, but not significantly.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Coldforge posted:

Are you referring to this? I can't find anything anywhere actually about Mallett or any teams dumb enough to trade for a QB on the last year of his rookie contract.

@LRiddickESPN Hearing rumblings of a potential draft day trade that could blow the top off of the draft involving a QB.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Bigass Moth posted:

Are you referring to this? I can't find anything anywhere actually about Mallett or any teams dumb enough to trade for a QB on the last year of his rookie contract.

@LRiddickESPN Hearing rumblings of a potential draft day trade that could blow the top off of the draft involving a QB.

Chiefs trade Smith for a top ten pick and get Teddy or Football :allears:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Who needs a good, young, cheap, not drug riddled quarterback when you can have Ryan Mallett on the last year of his deal?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Bigass Moth posted:

That was the nucleus of it, yeah. It ballooned from there.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

quote:

"Everything I'm hearing is pretty good right now. I'm hearing no later than the third (round), so hopefully it plays out that way," Tajh Boyd told SiriusMX NFL Radio.

I always get really sad when agents get their players expectations too high.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Rip Jevan Snead.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Rip Jevan Snead.

Future #1 overall draft pick Jevan Snead lmfao

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Someone is trying to convince me that Clowney is actually a huge bust and only had a great year in 2012 because it was Devin Taylor's senior year, and with him gone Clowney has obviously been exposed. :suicide:

Is it Thursday yet?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Has anyone NOT been dissected and nitpicked? I don't think I've heard anyone talking themselves out of Khalil Mack or the top 2-3 OL prospects yet.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

CVagts posted:

Has anyone NOT been dissected and nitpicked? I don't think I've heard anyone talking themselves out of Khalil Mack or the top 2-3 OL prospects yet.

Well, if you're looking for a Devil's Advocate...

-Mack: Struggled against not-terrible OTs in his games against Ohio State and Baylor

-Robinson: Might be really bad at pass-pro and some have questioned his ability to understand a more complex offense than what Auburn ran

-Matthews: Short arms

Of the three, I only agree somewhat with the first.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Khalil Mack is not Vontae Mack, so that's a huge knock against him.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

The only people dumb enough to trade for Mallet are the Browns. Unfortunately based off past experiences....

Also that gif about Bridgewater is pretty drat good. In the NFL defensive coordinators may make him pay with disguised coverages if he has a tendency to do something like that, but it absolutely proves he has the ability to make the throw to a spot to buy that quarter to half second needed to make a reciever be open.

Bridgewater will have one of the top three careers (barring injury) out of all the QBs in this draft. I guarantee.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

waah posted:

Bridgewater will have one of the top three careers (barring injury) out of all the QBs in this draft. I guarantee.

That's probably not saying much though. I'm really not impressed with the QB class this year though, much like last years class none of them really jump out at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you don't like this class you won't like next year's class either.

• Locked thread