Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

Wow, I completely failed to explore down that ladder in the servant's quarters, apparently. New strength weapon, woo!

New question, is there anything in particular that should be my first target for this fragrant branch of yore I have? Will I get enough of them for all the targets?

You will, but I'd use the first one on the lady blocking the lever, over by where Benhart is. It opens a path to a whole new set of areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ciaphas posted:

Wow, I completely failed to explore down that ladder in the servant's quarters, apparently. New strength weapon, woo!

New question, is there anything in particular that should be my first target for this fragrant branch of yore I have? Will I get enough of them for all the targets?

You can get enough branches for everyone, so it's up to you who gets the first one. Straid (the guy in the bastille prison) is a solid choice for almost everyone since he sells boss weapons and spells. The only other person I can think you might want before him would be pyromancy girl for the three fire seeds she sells if your character is really big on pyromancy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks, all.

I should probably just keep the futurepress guide open next to me or something, I'm loving rubbish at exploring. :smith:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ciaphas posted:

You will never run out to screw yourself in any progress.

There is like five to seven of these in the game.

Depends what you mean.
If you unpetrify the lion, you get the blade key which you can free the blacksmith who trades boss souls for weapons.
If you unpetrify the dude near the cell, he's also one who makes boss weapons and boss spells.
If you unpetrify the lion blocking a small entrance passage, you get the lion mage set which increases your casting speed.
If you unpetrify the lion blocking the passage,... actually I forgot it but it's probaby something lame.
If you unpetrify the hippo, he drops the unique aldia warlock head helm which is loving cool.

edit: Best thing to infuse weapon is whatever element they have. Like if you have the fire sword, slap on the drakestone for more fire damage. Raw stone are the best for weapons that have a D in STR scaling. Lighting obviously works great on chimes with lighting, like infusing the Dragon Chime with the lighting makes it the best chime in the game that does the most lighting damage.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 3, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

So what're the good DEX weapons? It feels weird, but I'm just tearing poo poo up with the Mace right now as usual. But this is a DEX run and a DEX run it shall be, drat it. Katanas don't seem super good, and the Heike flame sword is pretty boring.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
The salamanders are a pretty big kill joy, guess I'd better go buy a shitloads of poison knives.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Volt Catfish posted:

Katanas don't seem super good

Katanas are alright for PvE but very good for PvP in my opinion. The strength of a katana is that while the average reach, they have the speed of a much shorter weapon. This means that if you and another player both try to strike at the same time, you'll win unless they have like a rapier or a fist or something. And if you wield them two-handed (which I recommend) they are still strong enough to break poise unless the target has very heavy armor.

One alternative though would be rapiers, which scale well with DEX and are very fast. Also take note that many polearms actually have a higher DEX than STR requirement and scale better off of DEX. You could try a scythe or similiar weapon and see how it suits you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shindragon posted:

Either that or smack those gysers. Yes you can dispell them if you run up to them and smack them with your sword/mace or whatever you have.

Thank you. I tried attacking them once and they didn't die, so I assumed they were invincible. Guess I just was missing them since I killed them fine when I tried again.

I have to say, I found that fight really loving disappointing. Throne Watcher and Defender are chumps when they don't stunlock you. Nashandra is an even bigger chump. I have no idea why she is so pathetic. If you take out her curse things the fight is easy as hell. All her attacks are slow, easy to dodge, and leave her exposed for a decade. A complete joke. Its probably my least favorite fight in the game, and it really sucks that it has to be the last one. Gwyn and False King are so much better its not even funny.

Ending aside, this game is fantastic. I have problem with various parts of it but overall its extremely enjoyable. I don't get why so many people hate the story because I loved it for the most part. I wouldn't say its better or worse than Dark Souls plot wise, just different. They tried to tell a different story this time around and really took advantage of the medium to do that. Gameplay wise its vastly improved over Dark Souls, though some changes still bug me. Magic is even more broken, I think the old estus system worked better than the new healing one, and dex weapons scale like garbage. The game is so much fun to play though that its easy to overlook these issues.

Time for NG+!

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

keyframe posted:

How do you not wake up the skeletons? I thought the closest alcove was after the first couple of skeletons.

Youre right, been awhile since I did that fight. I killed the first necromancer (and his 4-5 skeletons, chariot handled most of them) and from that alcove I stuck to ranged so the other skeletons didn't wake up until the battle was basically won and I had to move past them to get where the chariot helplessly waited for the final blow (happens with 1/5 health left, you'll know when because it stops circling and just neighs).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

poptart_fairy posted:

Definitely. Feels very...natural, for lack of a better word. I love Felkin for that reason, same guy who did Laurentius in the first DaS AFAIK, as the way he stutters and hesitates comes across exactly as a socially awkward person would talk. :v:

Yeah, I was kinda amazed at how natural it sounded.

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: Hail to the fashion king.

I now realized something. This game has an appalingly low presence of capes, so low in fact this is the first time I'm seeing an armor with cape. The next game had better include a cape slot :colbert:

G.I. Jaw posted:

If you can manage it, do not drop down to the lower floor until killing the first one.

You can do one better and stay the hell up there even after the two of them jump up. Their attacks are really macho wide so one of them usually keeps falling down and you can take care of the other in the meantime. I should know, I guesstimate it took me around 60 tries to defeat them :negative:

DoctorStrangelove posted:

After Smelter Demon, the loving Old Iron King is such a loving pathetic joke. I beat it on my first try holy poo poo. They really should have switched the two, one was the hardest boss yet and the other the easiest. God drat.

Yeah, seriously. When I saw I'm walking up the boss door I realized I still have the souls from the Smelter Demon fight and a bunch I picked along the way, so I was hesitating to enter since I'm a dumbass who always runs around with 30k+ souls after boss fights and loses them. Then I realized the mist door is quite far so I was like "nothing ventured, nothing gained! in I go!". Te mist cleared and I was watching with a :stonk: face as a (boss spoilers) not-balrog was rising from the lava and I was like "gently caress! my souls!" :negative: Then I killed him on my first try without getting hit once, and that's after dying to Smelter Demon like 20 times :effort:

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Volt Catfish posted:

So what're the good DEX weapons? It feels weird, but I'm just tearing poo poo up with the Mace right now as usual. But this is a DEX run and a DEX run it shall be, drat it. Katanas don't seem super good, and the Heike flame sword is pretty boring.

Katanas are super good, just wear the ring that slows durability loss.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

PirateBob posted:

Thanks. What's the most useful thing to infuse a weapon with?

If you are a fire build, Fire. A Faith Build, Lightning. A magic build, Magic or Enchanted. Dark builds will naturally run dark weapons.

If you aren't any special damage build, don't infuse. Infusing changes scaling by trading lowered base stats. STR/Phys/Quality builds should just run without infusing.

Mundane is special and basically is a hidden upgrade that scales with the lowest of your stats. It's not useful unless you're running a specific build. Raw increases base damage and removes scaling. Raw is very rarely useful, so it's decent to ignore it unless you know what you're doing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

laplace posted:

If you are a fire build, Fire. A Faith Build, Lightning. A magic build, Magic or Enchanted.

If you aren't any special damage build, don't infuse. Infusing changes scaling by trading lowered base stats. STR/Phys/Quality builds should just run without infusing.

Mundane is special and basically is a hidden upgrade that scales with the lowest of your stats. It's not useful unless you're running a specific build. Raw increases base damage and removes scaling. Raw is very rarely useful, so it's decent to ignore it unless you know what you're doing.

Raw is great for crossbows though, since they have no scaling anyway.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Manatee Cannon posted:

Raw is great for crossbows though, since they have no scaling anyway.

Yup. It's also great for Santiers if you aren't running a Mundane build since that doesn't scale either. I hear it's also good for Bluemoon greatsword, but I never used it.

Speaking of weird builds I'm getting started on my Offhand Whip/Claw build. This is gonna be a fuuuun playthrough.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Katanas are alright for PvE but very good for PvP in my opinion. The strength of a katana is that while the average reach, they have the speed of a much shorter weapon. This means that if you and another player both try to strike at the same time, you'll win unless they have like a rapier or a fist or something. And if you wield them two-handed (which I recommend) they are still strong enough to break poise unless the target has very heavy armor.

One alternative though would be rapiers, which scale well with DEX and are very fast. Also take note that many polearms actually have a higher DEX than STR requirement and scale better off of DEX. You could try a scythe or similiar weapon and see how it suits you.

Listen to this man about Katanas. The only weapontype that I seem to get hit by the most with "ghost hits" are katanas. It's really absurd.

This joke image is totally accurate, it's super hosed up! Their speed and ghosting makes them a giant pain in the rear end to try and parry, too!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's kind of annoying for Fashion Souls how all the armor is either less attractive than the Elite Knight set, the Faraam set, or a rare drop. Or too heavy for me to use. I've used the elite knight set nearly the entire game, and only plan to swap it out for the faraam. I mean I COULD wear the lion mage skirt for more casting speed, or not because it look stupid. The life of a fashionista is hard. :negative:

New game I'm definitely going all in on endurance and strength.

e: Is the offline obelisk keeping track of the number of times you die? Because there's no way I've died 130 times. It's more like 30.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 3, 2014

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Whoa, is that the dingy set in that katana image? It looks really cool!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel a little bad about killing Cale just so I could get Forbidden Sun down the line. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
The Dark Souls server is down, again. This is moving from expected launch hiccups to unacceptable quality fast :smith:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Is the offline obelisk keeping track of the number of times you die? Because there's no way I've died 130 times. It's more like 30.

It is.

Grondoth posted:

Whoa, is that the dingy set in that katana image? It looks really cool!

It is.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel a little bad about killing Cale just so I could get Forbidden Sun down the line. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person.

You should feel bad, as you don't have to kill him!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Same here, finally finished the game today. :toot: Of course there was only one outfit I could use in the final fight.

(Lookin' real heroic there champ)

Seriously though, it's such a sexy item set to smash uglies' faces in with, especially with the cloak flowing behind you. :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Broken Cog posted:

You should feel bad, as you don't have to kill him!

I want it BEFORE I beat the game!

quote:

It is.

What the hell? Does it count phantoming and invasions too maybe? That number seems insanely high.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

RBA Starblade posted:

He just wanted to make a map.

First Benhart, now Cale?

You guys are assholes. :mad:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shindragon posted:

He just wanted to make a map.

First Benhart, now Cale?

You guys are assholes. :mad:

If Cale wanted to make a map he wouldn't have bugged out and remained in that cave forever. :colbert:

oh god i'm so sorry i probably won't even use the spell

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The hell do I deal with this ridiculous room in Drangleic Castle with like 12 dudes with huge spears and that stupid soul door gimmick?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

The hell do I deal with this ridiculous room in Drangleic Castle with like 12 dudes with huge spears and that stupid soul door gimmick?

Aren't you able to waken only a couple at a time? That's how I did it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

What the hell? Does it count phantoming and invasions too maybe? That number seems insanely high.

That'd be a good bet, although I don't know for sure.

dis astranagant posted:

Take it slow so you don't wake up all the spearmen at once. Its a crazy rear end room though.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Red Crown posted:

The Dark Souls server is down, again. This is moving from expected launch hiccups to unacceptable quality fast :smith:

So it's not just me - is everyone else just playing single-player at the moment, then?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Holy loving avelyn.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

I had the reinforced Tower Shield so for me the easiest way to deal with the Ruin Sentinels was simply running inside the small rooms they're in to avoid waking up the statues or other Sentinels.

E:

Speaking of the castle, the room with the caged Milfanito creeped the crap out of me the first time around. Not what I expected when I opened the door.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 3, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Motherfucker posted:

Holy loving avelyn.

Try a Lightning infused avelyn with lighting bolts.

:getin:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

lordfrikk posted:

I now realized something. This game has an appalingly low presence of capes, so low in fact this is the first time I'm seeing an armor with cape. The next game had better include a cape slot :colbert:

You already get your first cape-armor once you defeat the Pursuer. Just drop down one level in the area behind the arena where you defeated him. There is a chest with a complete armor set.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Shindragon posted:

Try a Lightning infused avelyn with lighting bolts.

:getin:

Strictly worse than raw with lightning bolts. Mundane on the other hand... :getin:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

dis astranagant posted:

They don't know how to operate doors, so you can trap them in the adjacent room. This is best for the group of three that wakes up at once.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What I want to figure out is how to play a sorcerer character. So many of the enemies aggressively run into your face before you can finish casting your second spell. I've always played melee in the Souls games, and so does anyone have some quick tips for newbie casters?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So, the boss souls that I got from the last bosses in each section have disappeared from my inventory, I didn't consume them. What did I gently caress up? Weren't they needed to defeat the last boss?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Reason posted:

So, the boss souls that I got from the last bosses in each section have disappeared from my inventory, I didn't consume them. What did I gently caress up? Weren't they needed to defeat the last boss?

Did you forge weapons out of 'em?

Regardless, they're not needed, no.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Reason posted:

Did you maybe give them to one of the soul traders for spells or a boss soul? Even if you did it's alright, though, you only need to have killed all four bosses to be able to pass the Shrine of Winter, afterwards they're not required anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

laplace posted:

If you are a fire build, Fire. A Faith Build, Lightning. A magic build, Magic or Enchanted. Dark builds will naturally run dark weapons.

So if I'm a str/vig/end build with a +10 mace, infusing won't help me? How do I increase my damage output further? Going over 40 str didn't seem to do much.