Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

Do it, I love my DT175

First motorcycle I ever rode was a dt175, now you've got me looking for them on Craigslist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I called the guy but unfortunately I couldn't see him before I left town for the night. I'll try to see it tomorrow. I hope he has a proper registration for it.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4438921464.html

Were it not just somebody trying to piss off their friend...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What is a ditch pickle?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

What is a ditch pickle?

A bright green arctic cat or Kawasaki broken down on the side of the road.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

slidebite posted:

I don't have a burning desire for an enduro, but someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy this right god drat now... other than being on my 6th drink ATM.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/lethbridge/1973-yamaha-360-rt-1-enduro/586343894?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Got back into town last night and tried to contact the dude. Heard from him this AM it got sold yesterday.

Oh well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah i know it's technically a scooter but somehow I feel that this doesn't belong in the "motorcycles" section.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/4421860665.html

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I can't wait until I'm old enough to need/am able to get around with running around down town with one of those.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
People post those and the little skateboard-with-a-handlebar 'scooters' in the motorcycle section all the time.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The day that scooters and ATVs get the gently caress out of the motorcycles section will be a day of national celebration.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Splizwarf posted:

The day that scooters and ATVs get the gently caress out of the motorcycles section will be a day of national celebration.

No dirtbikes either, please.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chichevache posted:

No dirtbikes either, please.

Except those are motorcycles.

The most awesome version of them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

the only issue I have with my local classifieds is people have no idea how to categorize their bikes.

It's very easy to follow:
code:
Street/Cruisers/Choppers
Sport Bikes
Sport Touring
Scooters/Pocket bikes
Dirt Bikes/Motocross
Other
parts and accessories
Invariably, you get bikes horribly mis-categorized which, 9 times out of 10, is a Harley.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 30, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

Except those are motorcycles.

The most awesome version of them.

Yeah but if you want something to ride on the street you don't want your search result clogged up with people's mud toys.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm fine with mud toys. I hate when guys list the entire catalog of some chinese importer's GENUINE DIRTBIKES!! in the for sale by owner section.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've been bored at work and cruising Craigslist:
:frogout:
Standard cafe hackjob
MY CHOPPER TICKED ME OFF

:getin:
very fast kx500
Someone save this CBX before a hipster buys it

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Yo Z3n, cross-country fly-n-ride :getin:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Ugh that would make a great sport-tourer if I had five grand to drop on another bike.

But drat, 45k miles?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

captainOrbital posted:

Ugh that would make a great sport-tourer if I had five grand to drop on another bike.

But drat, 45k miles?

Old air cooled Japanese bikes don't even know when they should die.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also drat, six carburetors to sync?

drat, 632 pounds dry?

drat, twenty-four loving valves to adjust?

I do love that era of bikes when modern electronics started to take over from old technologies, though, and you got such lovely terms as "pointless ignition" :allears:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
630 lbs is pretty normal for a sport-tourer, twenty-four valves to adjust still sounds better than a VFR / desmo job, and you guys are completely missing the point of the CBX if you think any of these data points are relevant

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I am the hipster who would ruin that bike.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Also drat, six carburetors to sync?

drat, 632 pounds dry?

drat, twenty-four loving valves to adjust?

I do love that era of bikes when modern electronics started to take over from old technologies, though, and you got such lovely terms as "pointless ignition" :allears:

yeah buthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8tkVSKb77Y

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Z3n posted:

I am the hipster who would ruin that bike.

As long as it still sounds like this

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That headlight is arousing :dong:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/edmonton/1982-honda-cbx/578425159?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Good thing it's not closer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

630 lbs is pretty normal for a sport-tourer, twenty-four valves to adjust still sounds better than a VFR / desmo job, and you guys are completely missing the point of the CBX if you think any of these data points are relevant

They sounds like banshees. There is nothing like a straight-6 wail.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh god, a second one. Looks like it's the same guy but a different bike. Low fender and different tires.

It's a sign from the gods. I've gotta see this guy today.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 2, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That rear tire looks deliciously oversized. Get a $20 enduro fender for it and get it stuck in the mud, you know you want to.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wish someone here would buy this.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4449992078.html

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I would buy this as an upgrade from my Ninja 250 so fast if it wasn't so expensive. I would love an inline 4 motorcycle under 600 cc. I mostly ride my Ninja 250 around Seattle but it's terrible on the highway.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Wow, that's a lot of FZR bits. If I was closer I'd have a pickup of FZR right now.

How's this for a pick up and fix then flip project (assuming I can get it for about $500)?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/4440025077.html

Seems like there are a few motors on eBay for about $600 shipped. I'd think I could get around 2k for it once it's fixed now that it's spring.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
You may be able to get $500 profit on it, but I'd wager it needing more than an engine (plus the oil and oil filter it would need) if the owner let it go without oil.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I dunno why you'd spend that much on it:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/4452695729.html

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Hmm one has the full original fairings + a second set for the track, worked forks, Ohlins shock, aftermarket pipe, steel brake lines, three sets of wheels, everything looks mint, etc etc

The other one doesn't have a complete set of fairings at all, is all mix and match, has a mismatched engine, no pipe, doesn't even run, and is in Cali with title fuckery.

Yep, I can't see why those wouldn't be about the same price

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So that's why z3n's magical land of cheap bikes is so cheap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Hmm one has the full original fairings + a second set for the track, worked forks, Ohlins shock, aftermarket pipe, steel brake lines, three sets of wheels, everything looks mint, etc etc

The other one doesn't have a complete set of fairings at all, is all mix and match, has a mismatched engine, no pipe, doesn't even run, and is in Cali with title fuckery.

Yep, I can't see why those wouldn't be about the same price

Yay, that's like 1500 bucks worth of poo poo picked up from ebay, forums, or craigslist over the course of 6 months. So now you're at 2500 bucks, rather than the staggering 5k that you'd pay for that 400. Not to mention if you wanted a real trackbike, 5k would buy you literally any previous gen 600 under the sun that would outperform it by a factor of about 5. Spiffness sold his GSX-R600 with full suspension, a built engine, a shitload of extras, etc, for 4500 bucks.

Also:

quote:

Note that the bike originally came from Seattle and is now in Anchorage, Alaska. Shipping to Seattle is approximately $300 and crating is $50.

So yeah, just send the dude 5300 bucks and you too could own a nearly 25 year old lovely 400 that was marginal even for it's time period.

The mismatched engine is also much more desireable, as the advantage to the 400 is the aluminum frame (600 had a steel frame) and the 400 engine is just a sleeved 600, exhaust or other mods on the 400 are totally pointless vs. the 600 engine you could have.

So no, it's a loving terrible deal by any measurement of anything, owned by some old fart who thinks his 25 year old track hooptie is worth anything over maybe, MAYBE 3k.

I mean, I guess I should be thankful that people poo poo the bikes I look for based on silly bullshit like that cause it's what keeps me in good deals on bikes, but it's sort of crazy what people consider "valuable". A giant pile of shiny poo poo is still a pile of poo poo.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 3, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think the buyer of that bike would have a different motivation for buying it than you're thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

I think the buyer of that bike would have a different motivation for buying it than you're thinking.

"yes, allow me to buy this totally raced out generic japanese 400 with no history for my vintage collection" said no one ever.