Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just a heads-up, for anyone on FB, I highly recommend following/liking GhostbustersNews.com.

Oh that's the one with the creepy Ghostbusters girl pin-up every month.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The_Doctor posted:

Oh that's the one with the creepy Ghostbusters girl pin-up every month.

I think that was for a specific calendar. Haven't seen them in a while.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I think that was for a specific calendar. Haven't seen them in a while.

They're on the actual site, first of every month like clockwork.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ah ok.

How is it creepy?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Ah ok.

How is it creepy?

It's just depressing. Why does A Thing need a totally unrelated sexualised version of it to pander to sad nerds?

edit: because sad nerds, yes, obviously, got that

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

echoplex posted:

It's just depressing. Why does A Thing need a totally unrelated sexualised version of it to pander to sad nerds?

edit: because sad nerds, yes, obviously, got that
Went and looked at a few for research purposes, and I think you're the only sad ones in this situation.

Edit: It's you. You're the sad nerds.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
The "models" for the calendar were also (usually) strippers from Ohio.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 26, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Boomerjinks posted:

The "models" for the calendar were also (usually) strippers from Ohio.

Gonna go on record saying that from this small sample size, ohio has very unattractive strippers.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I watched this movie again last night. I swear I dunno if I was in a weird mood or not, but when Egon switches on Ray's pack in the elevator and starts backing into the corner I laughed so hard I woke my neighbors in the next apartment

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

SocketWrench posted:

I watched this movie again last night. I swear I dunno if I was in a weird mood or not, but when Egon switches on Ray's pack in the elevator and starts backing into the corner I laughed so hard I woke my neighbors in the next apartment

Seriously. Funniest moment in the entire movie.

Also, imaginary proton pack activation switch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Boomerjinks posted:

This reminds me that when I was younger, I thought Egon was backing up to sort of turn on the pack by pushing it against the wall.

I was a different kid.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Boomerjinks posted:

What makes it imaginary? Egon clearly interacted with something.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

MrJacobs posted:

What makes it imaginary? Egon clearly interacted with something.

Honestly I don't recall seeing them ever turn on their packs from the rear anywhere else in the movie, but there definitely seems to be some sort of switch on the thrower.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

Honestly I don't recall seeing them ever turn on their packs from the rear anywhere else in the movie, but there definitely seems to be some sort of switch on the thrower.

Yeah, but there is obviously a secondary switch that is rarely used. And if you want to get retarded in terms of references, they used something similar in the cartoon on several occasions.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

MrJacobs posted:

Yeah, but there is obviously a secondary switch that is rarely used. And if you want to get retarded in terms of references, they used something similar in the cartoon on several occasions.

The "switch" he touches is one of the mounting screws that hold the shell of the pack to the baseplate. There are no switches on the pack itself.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

SocketWrench posted:

The looks on their faces and how they cover their crotches with their hands just seals it, on top of the deadpan delivery of the lines. It really is a perfect little moment in the film.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

I think of it as like the on/off switch on the back of a computer tower. It's not what you normally use but it's the main one.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

I think of it as like the on/off switch on the back of a computer tower. It's not what you normally use but it's the main one.

That's what the scene infers, but there is no physical switch on any of the packs in that area at any time in the movies. Well, the stunt packs had a big toggle right above the cyclotron, I suppose. But that's not what they were wearing in the elevator.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Boomerjinks posted:

That's what the scene infers, but there is no physical switch on any of the packs in that area at any time in the movies. Well, the stunt packs had a big toggle right above the cyclotron, I suppose. But that's not what they were wearing in the elevator.

I always assumed it was either something he pressed to start the reactor for the first time, or that they moved the switches to the wand at a later time so they wouldn't have to keep switching each other on.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

It was their first time busting ghosts. I'll handwave it assuming Egon modified it for future busting.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I guess I'm confused why it must be explainable in-universe?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Boomerjinks posted:

I guess I'm confused why it must be explainable in-universe?

I'm confused because you brought it up.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
That scene is also ruined by the aspect ratio cropping tv stations used in the 80's and early 90's. :mad:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

effectual posted:

That scene is also ruined by the aspect ratio cropping tv stations used in the 80's and early 90's. :mad:

Yeah, Ghostbusters was a film that really did not work well in pan and scan. In the commentary on the DVD, Ramis even points out "When I watch this on TV, I'm usually panned and scanned out of this scene."

It's a movie I used to help get my friend to think that letterbox was cooler. Especially when the TV broadcasts featured some god-awful pan and scanning where it was not smooth at all, but really jerky. Like, this was around 2000 or so when the DVD originally came out.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Honestly, I thought Egon backed away because Ray farted. After the pack charges up, I swear you can hear the sound of a small fart that I think he was hoping would be covered up by the pack powering up. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting one of the sounds the pack makes, but I hear it every time. v:shobon:v

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Vicissitude posted:

Honestly, I thought Egon backed away because Ray farted. After the pack charges up, I swear you can hear the sound of a small fart that I think he was hoping would be covered up by the pack powering up. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting one of the sounds the pack makes, but I hear it every time. v:shobon:v

This works so well with Ray just minding his own business like most people who fart in an elevator and don't want to draw attention to themselves.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I hate how the pan and scan cuts off someone during the 'this ever happen to you before? No, first time?' scene. The weird part is is that it cuts off Ray, who Peter is talking to.

Edit: It actually might cut off both Ray and Egon.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 4, 2014

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Everyone shut up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvURw7kOf0c

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The best thing about this is that Egon doesn't smile, and in that last part (starts around 3:55) he's trying to smile, and Ramis is just absolutely nailing it.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I just love Annie Potts in that. She is the driest.

I also just noticed the store-bought creases in the lab coats... top-notch costuming.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

The best thing about this is that Egon doesn't smile, and in that last part (starts around 3:55) he's trying to smile, and Ramis is just absolutely nailing it.

God, that's the best. I don't know how somebody can create such a perfect forced smile but he did it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I like how Egon keeps looking down for his marker in the first scene, because it's totally what his character would do.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

I like how it was shot when they still didn't know if they were going to be Ghostblasters or Ghoststoppers.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

effectual posted:

I like how Egon keeps looking down for his marker in the first scene, because it's totally what his character would do.
This was the first thing I noticed, too, and he's nailing it.

One of the hardest things to do when you're a great singer is sing off key, and he's just amazing at it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anyone know if the NOW! comic series of the Real Ghostbusters back from the late 80s was any good? I saw them in a bookstore today and didn't know they existed.

http://www.gbfans.com/wiki/Real_Ghostbusters:_NOW_Comics_Series

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I have several. My mom found them in a flea market years ago and gave them to me for Christmas. They're okay. Some are pretty good, others, not so much. I enjoyed their adaptation of Ghostbusters 2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, Bill Murray does a pretty good Harry Carey.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...amming-national

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Finally, GB2's deleted scenes will be available

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/05/ghostbusters-rerelease/

I am among the 3 people in the western world not to own a blu-ray player, so I'm hoping for a DVD release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This will be the third Blu-ray release of GB1. For the love of God I hope they use the 4K transfer, because that 2009 Blu-ray is just beyond atrocious.

• Locked thread