Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Can red phantoms push or do anything with the NPCS at all? I had one either push or spawn a dragon cultist when I was trying to break the Santier's spear in the rat pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I want to make a Indiana Jones type dude. Where would I find a fedora type hat and a regular whip? (not the spiked one)

E: god damnit I can't go two seconds without wanting to make a new gimmicky guy, The next one is "Hal Birdman"

Guess what that one is gonna use.

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 3, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Hamsalad posted:

Noob Question - Should I be reinforcing my armor with titanite shards as well as my weapons? Currently only have done it to my weapons, while wearing the Drangelic armor I can take 2-3 hits, most bosses its 1-2.

Also, anyone know where to get some awesome medium/heavy armor that is better than the Drangelic set?

Weapons should be your priority, reinforcing armor isn't really worth it early on when you have limited shards.

Purely stat-wise, the Drangleic set is insanely good for the time you get it and it takes a long while until you see an upgrade for it. I'm pretty sure I used at least most parts of it until I bumped into the best armor in the game.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
I like to make videos and poo poo. I'm a british guy.
I would like to get some funny murders done, my idea is to use camouflage (either the magic or the silver pendant things) and basically enter a high-invade place and have me and my accomplice be hapless furniture that explodes (either of the Belfrys (luna is better), or better yet run to NG+ after acheiving maximum NG sin and let the blue/red dudes pour in).

I've had a lot of fun doing this solo, but due to the nature of DARK STORM (willing to accept ideas for fun explosive ideas) I would like to cover a wider area and give more shock value (a dark storm sandwich sounds hilarious to me).

SO. I am a friendly voice-chatting brit who would like an accomplice, preferably a min-max'd hexer, but for loving about I don't really care it's all fun at the end of the day. Just melee traps seem boring to me.

I'm at SM ~1,000,000 on my new character, at around Drangleic castle (NG), but could probably re-roll my dude who is around like 7mil on NG+? (I highly prefer the former, I might not have time for the latter).

So add me, my steam name is the_patriarch and my community id is /therambler I believe (El Rammo screen name). Alternatively PM me.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Well, I just beat the game. The gameplay was, you know, whatever. Pretty good. But the 'build up' of the plot, or what I imagine From thought to be the plot, was just so forgettable. The final boss was a big drat nothing, hardly ever brought up in the game at all. At least in DS1, you drat well knew who Gwyn was, and you knew the reason you entered the Kiln of the First Flame. I really no no idea what the Throne of Want actually is, or why it matters.

I'm just disappointed with the entire world of DS2, honestly, and I know most of the reasons have been belabored at length before. And to me, a less compelling gameworld/lore/plot significantly impacted the amount of fun I had in this game. It's still a good game, no question, but I'm left feeling the entire experience is a bit shallow compared to its predecessors.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Is there any confirmation upgrading item discovery items (Jester Hat, Prisoner Rags) increase its effect? I heard it a few times but none of the equipment with effects increase when upgrading them AFAIK.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Haha, the guys in Iron Keep who are summoning several white and red phantoms and going for free for alls between them are alright in my book.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Excellent. So if the pyroflame itself scales nicely, I can bring my dream of being a hulking badass in big loving armor with a zweihander who also throws fire to life. :D

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
The guys in Iron Keep who summon two white phantoms then a red phantom to dogpile on are the cheesiest fucks

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Kanfy posted:

Weapons should be your priority, reinforcing armor isn't really worth it early on when you have limited shards.

Purely stat-wise, the Drangleic set is insanely good for the time you get it and it takes a long while until you see an upgrade for it. I'm pretty sure I used at least most parts of it until I bumped into the best armor in the game.

The main problem with upgrading the Drangleic set is that it takes twinkling titanite. For sets that take regular titanite it's not so bad since it's a little easier to come by.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Grognan posted:

Can red phantoms push or do anything with the NPCS at all? I had one either push or spawn a dragon cultist when I was trying to break the Santier's spear in the rat pit.

Nope, or well not that I know of. Using a red eye orb (by that one bonfire blocked by the petrified NPC with all explodey-stamina/healh depleter guys) I ended up getting spawned into a small room on the floor beneath that where the doorway was entirely blocked by one of those guys just slumped over.

It seemed like an eternity before the host ventured down there to find me emoting "shrug" over and over. Luckily he set me free realizing I was trapped there and it led to one of the best duals I've had so far.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lori posted:

The guys in Iron Keep who summon two white phantoms then a red phantom to dogpile on are the cheesiest fucks

Git gud at AOE! Or fall back to those guards at the door. Really though there's not much around that and that's lame. I had good times all around so far.

quote:

It seemed like an eternity before the host ventured down there to find me emoting "shrug" over and over. Luckily he set me free realizing I was trapped there and it led to one of the best duals I've had so far.

This is hilarious. I love little things like this happening as a result of the pvp in the game. I had one where a guy with poison arrows got me to aggro the sentinels, forcing me to reposition to the bonfire and work my way back up. It was like a unique little miniboss!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

The main problem with upgrading the Drangleic set is that it takes twinkling titanite. For sets that take regular titanite it's not so bad since it's a little easier to come by.

Sure, but the difference in defense isn't really that big considering the materials investment whereas upgrading a weapon will make it a lot stronger.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wow, immolation is so bad. Takes forever to kill even the trash mobs in FoFG with it.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Do people mean the Faraam armour when they say Drangleic?

e: Ooh no, looks cool tho.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Sure, but the difference in defense isn't really that big considering the materials investment whereas upgrading a weapon will make it a lot stronger.

I guess I just never found titanite shards/chunks to be that hard to get. It's easy to get a ton of the stuff. Slabs are more of a problem, but still farmable.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I love the Gower's Ring of Protection, perfect for using with bracing knuckle ring +2, but I find the ghosting visual effect to be really hard on the eyes. Is there any way to disable it? I'm playing on PC.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 3, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Kanfy posted:

Defense is huge in PvP and doesn't matter at all PvE because no matter what most of the bosses will kill you in 2-3 hits.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I'm tired of looking at Havel's clunky-rear end armor, it's Velstadt's time to shine in NG+! :getin:

Kimmalah posted:

I guess I just never found titanite shards/chunks to be that hard to get. It's easy to get a ton of the stuff. Slabs are more of a problem, but still farmable.

It's not about that though, it's more the fact that the benefits aren't usually worth it. Reinforcing stuff also costs souls which you rarely have an abundance of during the normal game. It's fine to reinforce armor if you like some particular set or item but your weapons should be your first priority in my opinion, after all things won't hit you at all if they're already dead.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
While I do agree that there's not really any large advantage to upgrading armor in PvE, I don't agree that you rarely find yourself with an abundance of souls. This game throws tons of souls at you, a lot more than the previous games.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Nahxela posted:

While I do agree that there's not really any large advantage to upgrading armor in PvE, I don't agree that you rarely find yourself with an abundance of souls. This game throws tons of souls at you, a lot more than the previous games.

It's odd, compared to Demons or DS1 I didn't find myself getting all that angry when I lost a large pile of souls since they really didn't feel that hard to amass. Hell, I even found myself sitting on a couple dozen usable soul items at a time before realizing "Oh yeah, I should eat these."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kanfy posted:

I'm tired of looking at Havel's clunky-rear end armor, it's Velstadt's time to shine in NG+! :getin:

It's not about that though, it's more the fact that the benefits aren't usually worth it. Reinforcing stuff also costs souls which you rarely have an abundance of during the normal game. It's fine to reinforce armor if you like some particular set or item but your weapons should be your first priority in my opinion, after all things won't hit you at all if they're already dead.

I guess it's up to what you want to invest, but I don't remember any upgrade that cost more than 1 or 2000 souls (usually much less). Which isn't a whole lot really.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

It's really weird how many souls you get from coop. I played Demon's Souls a long time after release where online play was dying and Dark Souls arguably never had reliable online play (especially at release), so playing Dark Souls 2 with actual coop feels like a literal soul fountain.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tracula posted:

It's odd, compared to Demons or DS1 I didn't find myself getting all that angry when I lost a large pile of souls since they really didn't feel that hard to amass. Hell, I even found myself sitting on a couple dozen usable soul items at a time before realizing "Oh yeah, I should eat these."

Its the opposite for me. I never cared much about losing souls in the other games because souls were infinite and I could always get more. In this game though, your soul memory is a permanent record of every soul you've ever gotten. Every lost bloodstain counts against you. In the long run it doesn't matter much but I can't help but fixate on it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Nahxela posted:

Well, I assume that leveling up is the very first priority which will eat the vast majority of souls. But I know what you mean, I was like level 140 when I beat the game and obviously during the endgame individual attribute increases are much less impactful than in the early- and midgame.

I suppose I should've worded that better, what I meant is that you rarely find yourself with an abundance of souls that aren't better off used for something better such as weapon upgrades, level ups, consumables or spells. Most people hit shard limit before soul limit anyway so it doesn't really even matter, but some people are luckier with drops than others of course.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

No Bonfire run tripreport: gently caress Shrine of Anama

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Its the opposite for me. I never cared much about losing souls in the other games because souls were infinite and I could always get more. In this game though, your soul memory is a permanent record of every soul you've ever gotten. Every lost bloodstain counts against you. In the long run it doesn't matter much but I can't help but fixate on it.
Yeah, this bugs me too. Oh well.

Is there a reason they decided to make some hexes cast from chimes and others from staves? Its odd. And what's a good hexing chime? I've got the Sunset staff now and its kind of amazing.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Domattee posted:

No Bonfire run tripreport: gently caress Shrine of Anama

I just lit the Shaded Woods one before heading to Drangleic Castle to avoid that run back since otherwise you have to sit through two awful elevators in addition to having to do Shrine of Amana twice :v:. After that it's just a matter of taking it slow and sniping dudes with bows between their casts.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
Anyone else finding the multiplayer is still twitching like an voltage-calmed badger? I just had a bizarre occurence where I got the 'you are being summoned' message, and then...nothing. My sign was greyed out, I couldn't place it again and I couldn't use bonfires but I wasn't going anywhere. I decided to kill myself to see if it helped, but after pitching myself into the salamander pit in Cardinal Tower, the game just sat there, staring at the location of my corpse. In the end, I shut it all down from Task Manager.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

poo poo, so I can be invaded if I DONT burn effigies?

This whole time I've been hoarding em!

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

ninjaiguana posted:

Anyone else finding the multiplayer is still twitching like an voltage-calmed badger? I just had a bizarre occurence where I got the 'you are being summoned' message, and then...nothing. My sign was greyed out, I couldn't place it again and I couldn't use bonfires but I wasn't going anywhere. I decided to kill myself to see if it helped, but after pitching myself into the salamander pit in Cardinal Tower, the game just sat there, staring at the location of my corpse. In the end, I shut it all down from Task Manager.

The game actually ALT+F4s beautifully. It seems to even make a save before gracefully exiting to desktop. I haven't bothered quitting from the menu since I discovered this.

Dandywalken posted:

Use effigies, don't burn 'em. Although I suppose the small white soapstone has meant I haven't had to eat an effigy in a while.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
In Iron Keep in the area where you have to lower the bridge to get to the fog wall, what's a good way to deal with the rear end in a top hat archer to the right of where you enter that area? I just can't get a lock on him until I run all across the level while getting shot in the rear end and climb to where he's at.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

In Iron Keep in the area where you have to lower the bridge to get to the fog wall, what's a good way to deal with the rear end in a top hat archer to the right of where you enter that area? I just can't get a lock on him until I run all across the level while getting shot in the rear end and climb to where he's at.
Do you not have a bow or crossbow at all?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Umberger posted:

I just lit the Shaded Woods one before heading to Drangleic Castle to avoid that run back since otherwise you have to sit through two awful elevators in addition to having to do Shrine of Amana twice :v:. After that it's just a matter of taking it slow and sniping dudes with bows between their casts.

Doing the entire Drangleic chain with no bonfires seems completely insane to me. I just wished I hadn't lit every single bonfire on the way in so that I still had some left over for the return trip, especially since I ended up only needing the Undead ditch and Central Drangleic. Got back all the way to Drangleic and then got boxed in by the swordsmen in the tiny room with the ladder.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Dandywalken posted:

Burning one just lets you not get invaded for around 30 mins.

edit: That what homeward bone is for when you do the Drangelic no bonfire run chain. :v:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

If you're feeling brave, you can make a jump along the corner of the wall where that Archer is next to, by the entrance to that room.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogA0wqk0JeE
It's around 27-28 minutes into this video.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Elysiume posted:

Do you not have a bow or crossbow at all?

I do but can't get a lock on him to use them. When I do manage to hit him with blind fire I only do like 60 damage.

Nahxela posted:

If you're feeling brave, you can make a jump along the corner of the wall where that Archer is next to, by the entrance to that room.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogA0wqk0JeE
It's around 27-28 minutes into this video.

I barely made the jump from the other side so I doubt I can pull this off. I'm terrible at jumping in this game.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 3, 2014

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

You can aim both bows and crossbows using the opposite bumper, i.e. left-hand bow aims with right bumper, right-hand bow aims with left.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Ignore him, do the whole area while ignoring him is what I did. Once you cross the bridge, he doesn't have line of sight on you anymore.

Make sure you pull the knight on the bridge to the other side before crossing (makes it a lot easier to get across consistently), and kill the other one who's just past it too, otherwise he'll run over to you once you engage the guy infront of the fog door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

well the servers are up, but i guess no one ratbros at around 2m soul level anymore :|

I even bonfire aesthetic'd the place and i haven't gotten a single bite

I even have the red string ring on.