Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

Bloody posted:

just use langs that target the CLR and/or start with the letter c and arent clojure and you will be fine.

common lisp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
coffeescript

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
cobol.net

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caché

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
coq

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

why don't you just write hello world a million times for one xp and at the end you will have a million xp!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:jerkbag:

Symbolic Butt posted:

coffeescript

not a lang

should be real

is this a lang?

:q:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mido posted:

im a dumb baby and i spend most of my time in imperative languages but using C# and even (gasp) python is nice sometimes because i get to whip out cool functional programming tricks that make some problems really natural to solve instead of writing like 50 lines of nested loops and fragile recursion

:shobon: argument for mediation?

wait this is the pos

lol if you program a computer

idk what you're talking about "cool functional tricks" here because python is really about doing nested loops and having very limited and slow recursion depth.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

idk what you're talking about "cool functional tricks" here because python is really about doing nested loops and having very limited and slow recursion depth.

like basic map/reduce stuff and lambdas and generator pattern stuff being native to the syntax, :shrug:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i write my random one-off scripts in perl because its practical

extraction and reporting language

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Mido posted:

like basic map/reduce stuff and lambdas and generator pattern stuff being native to the syntax, :shrug:

I'm one of the python guys at my company so i get cc'd on a bunch of pull requests for stuff that i don't work on or really understand but is in python so i make lots of small comments like 'hey use a map and join here instead of a loop' and they seem to like it, idk

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i love that every person i work with is reasonably certain programming languages are magic

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

should be real

caché is mumps :mrgw:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Bloody posted:

should be real
it is, there are multiple cobol compilers targeting the clr

makes u wonder why anyone uses c# tbh

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
this thread is my greatest success as a programmer

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

it is, there are multiple cobol compilers targeting the clr

makes u wonder why anyone uses c# tbh

lmao

w/e, banks gotta bank somehow

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i dont even do any programming any more

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
you won. congratulation.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i tell other people what to do and have a vague understand of the systems involved

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

vapid cutlery posted:

i tell other people what to do and have a vague understand of the systems involved

Pm me

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
that sounds p great

~~my aspirations~~

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what will you do now?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

limesweeper 2?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
html status: lol this poo poo is barely a p lang

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

stoutfish posted:

pretend i sperged about programming languages vs markup languages here

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
html is a programming language if you inline your javascript or whatever

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i could google this easily but if my apple osx developer thing expires will my signed applications still be valid and pass the apple security thing??

because i wont be releasing new versions but my work is gonna keep distributing it to people probably

nevermind i found the answer

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 5, 2014

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

html is a programming language if you inline your javascript or whatever

i think i got taken down a whole grade in a web dev project recently because i had a tiny bit of inline javascript in a template, it was for twitter stuff, "YOU MUST MAINTAIN SEPERATION OF CONCERNS!!!" but it wasnt that important jesus

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

i think i got taken down a whole grade in a web dev project recently because i had a tiny bit of inline javascript in a template, it was for twitter stuff, "YOU MUST MAINTAIN SEPERATION OF CONCERNS!!!" but it wasnt that important jesus

sounds like u go to a rare, actually good programming school that teaches real world skills

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

sounds like u go to a rare, actually good programming school that teaches real world skills

all those do is set you up for crushing disappointment when you get a job

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i like haml because it makes inline javascript very difficult

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

stoutfish posted:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

same

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
if html isnt a programming language then how do you have games coded in html5??? :smug:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cause the <pacman> tag

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
if anyone happens to be familiar with the popular MMORPG Runescape, please explain how they are making a transition from java to html5, how does that even work

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

if anyone happens to be familiar with the popular MMORPG Runescape, please explain how they are making a transition from java to html5, how does that even work

i'm guessing that means they're moving from a java plugin to javascript

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

that sounds awfully hackable but otoh who would even give a poo poo about runescape

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Valeyard posted:

probably html5, webgl, and a mountain of javascript

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Socracheese posted:

that sounds awfully hackable but otoh who would even give a poo poo about runescape
idk not really it should be as secure as cryotpcat

• Locked thread