Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
In regards to Anna, it's actually possible to avoid killing her entirely by exploiting her AI. The game still considers her dead after this point, so it's really only worth doing if you're going for a 'pure' pacifist run.

I think you can also force her to run by doing enough damage to her, but I might be remembering wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The theme for UNATCO Return is one of my all time favourite video game songs, for whatever reason. For me it captures both the excitement and bittersweetness of the escape. The UNATCO basement revelation is a great twist if Paul isn't alive to spoil it for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0IsK2C8SNo

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I'm still at around page 15 in the thread, but was this TED talk about augmentation posted already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDsNZJTWw0w&t=522s

Human augmentation is making some interesting leaps that I didn't actually know about until now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
People usually tend to focus on expensive new gadgets when talking about bionics and implants and poo poo, but great advances are being made in making stuff like that cheaper, too. A couple of researchers at my university are working on making a cheap electrostimulation device that would allow people with nerve damage in their arms to have a limited degree of control over the limb. There's plenty of stuff like that already made, but the idea here is to make it cheap enough to be affordable to poor(ish) hospitals and people and reliable enough not to need frequent replacement. I wanted to get in on the action (as much as possible for an automation student with little knowledge of biomedical engineering), but then we got buried with regular projects and I focused on other things. :(

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Something not shown in the video is that after Manderley tells you to make your escape, when you go to leave his office he pulls a gun and tries to kill you. He's a bit of a snake.

It's still weird to me seeing Paul alive in this part of the game; this is the first time seeing that, for me.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Attestant posted:

The theme for UNATCO Return is one of my all time favourite video game songs, for whatever reason. For me it captures both the excitement and bittersweetness of the escape. The UNATCO basement revelation is a great twist if Paul isn't alive to spoil it for you.

The introductory rattle, like a rattlesnake. And then the rest is just a song about, holy poo poo I'm back in the UNATCO bunker. And now someone's going to have to die.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
I just noticed this LP, and marathoned it to see what all the fuss was about for Deus Ex. Thanks for showing it off, Bobbin, you've been doing an amazing job. I've been loving your Corners as well; they've been pretty helpful for understanding all the background information for the game itself. A lot of love went into the game, and you're doing it justice.

I've been wondering, however - where do you do all the research for this? I just finished Lecture 6, and I'd like to see some of the stuff you've quoted about immunization. My own folks were against the idea, so I'm curious about the other side of the argument.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

J.theYellow posted:

Also, if you stun the MiB in the control center of the nanotech lab, he's got an upgrade canister on him. Hard to pull that one off without anyone noticing, though, and that's actually something from the previous video.

I just checked this, and while the MiB has a key for those shelves in the nanotech lab, he does not have a canister.

Twib posted:

I just noticed this LP, and marathoned it to see what all the fuss was about for Deus Ex. Thanks for showing it off, Bobbin, you've been doing an amazing job. I've been loving your Corners as well; they've been pretty helpful for understanding all the background information for the game itself. A lot of love went into the game, and you're doing it justice.

I've been wondering, however - where do you do all the research for this? I just finished Lecture 6, and I'd like to see some of the stuff you've quoted about immunization. My own folks were against the idea, so I'm curious about the other side of the argument.

A lot of it is just sort of stuff I've picked up over the years, although I usually try and find a confirming source (usually... :(). For hard science I've got a personal collection of books and Wikipedia; the hard science pages are typically too dry for anyone to bother vandalizing them, plus you can find a few other sources online through Google. Googling for images to go along with the corners can be especially edifying, particularly when I'm trying to find corroborating statistics.

For organizations linked to conspiracies I'll borrow books from the library, check their websites if they're still around, and then use Wikipedia as a source for useful links via the footnotes. Jim Marrs actually came in handy again for the MJ-12 segment, since he's got a second book entitled Alien Agenda which has a whole section on the MJ-12 papers. He believes the "government redirection" theory about them, by the way.

And I don't think I mentioned this because image-hunting takes place after I write and deliver the script, but I found the papers the Canadian researcher uncovered and they are far more plausible because in every report there was no trace of cover-up activities and they never found a single extraterrestrial incident. Plus, you know, there was a US group investigating UFO's, Project Sign/Grudge/Blue Book. It was understaffed, underfunded, and often unscientific, which tells you just how seriously the Air Force treated the prospect. Or was it just to cover for the real UFO investigations?! :tinfoil:

No, it wasn't. UFO's of actual interest to national security were forwarded to intelligence branches because they were most likely, you know, spy planes and satellites we'd want to keep track of.

Marker17501
Jul 8, 2013
If you kill Manderley before his conversation with Simons is triggered, you will have a slightly different dialogue with Simons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3cmIBV_ez8

Also, some goofing around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjY-x9D9B1k

Frog-spit
Mar 2, 2009
Poor Anna.

Anna Navarra posted:

Stopping Terror -- A New Perspective on Freedom

When one maniac can wipe out a city of twenty million with a microbe developed in his basement, a new approach to law enforcement becomes necessary. Every citizen of the world must be placed under surveillance. That means sky-cams at every intersection, computer-mediated analysis of every phone call, e-mail, and snail-mail, and a purely electronic economy in which every transaction is recorded and data-mined for suspicious activity.

We are close to achieving this goal. Some would say that human liberty has been compromised, but the reality is just the opposite. As surveillance expands, people become free from danger, free to walk alone at night, free to work in a safe place, and free to buy any legal product or service without the threat of fraud. One day every man and woman will quietly earn credits, purchase items for quiet homes on quiet streets, have cook-outs with neighbors and strangers alike, and sleep with doors and windows wide open. If that isn't the tranquil dream of every free civilization throughout history, what is?

-- Anna Navarre, Agent, UNATCO

I went back and replayed this game after 9/11 and right after the passing of the Patriot Act and this bulletin struck me particularly hard. The game had a distinctly different feel to it the second time around.

Oh and youre doing a great job Bobbin!

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
Was almost hoping you'd avoid regeneration. Silly how it takes the place of a dozen other upgrades and items, including its competition, and is easier to use too, though at least it's funny to picture JC regrowing his oxygen-starved brain cells faster than they can die out as he drowns his way across oceans.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh man, I had no idea the Flatlander Woman line was a reference to that book! I had to read that in high school as a freshman in Geometry class.

A surprisingly helpful read for the subject matter.

Marker17501
Jul 8, 2013
Regarding Carter's idealistic view of UNATCO, JC kinda confronts that if you kill Lebedev:

SAM CARTER How are you holding up?
JC DENTON Fine. I completed the mission objectives.
SAM CARTER You were ordered to assassinate a man in cold blood. That must have been difficult.
JC DENTON Not if you pause for a second and think about who he was and what he stood for.
SAM CARTER It's a shame when a difference of opinion gets somebody killed. That's all I have to say about that.
JC DENTON Every war is the result of a difference of opinion. Maybe the biggest questions can only be answered by the greatest of conflicts.
SAM CARTER Let's hope not, or we're on the brink of another world war.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Marker17501 posted:

Regarding Carter's idealistic view of UNATCO, JC kinda confronts that if you kill Lebedev:

SAM CARTER You were ordered to assassinate a man in cold blood. That must have been difficult.
JC DENTON Not if you pause for a second and think about who he was and what he stood for.
SAM CARTER It's a shame when a difference of opinion gets somebody killed. That's all I have to say about that.
JC DENTON Every war is the result of a difference of opinion. Maybe the biggest questions can only be answered by the greatest of conflicts.
I'm pretty sure Bobbin showed that conversation, because I remember it and I've never played the game.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Marker17501 posted:

I did kill Lebedev and we saw this conversation, actually. Plus I wouldn't call Carter "idealistic" so much as just "optimistic." He's optimistic in that he believes that an organization like UNATCO can recover from having folks like Manderley and Simons in charge and still do some good further down the line; to be idealistic he'd have to think that UNATCO could be made immune to the influence of men like them.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Finally we reach my favourite part of the entire game. Well, third favourite part really, but this is in my top three of this game for what happens. I'm very glad to see you took on the path of not killing your former members since it never felt right with me. I never attempted to kill them, and I always took a combo of Pepper Spray, Riot Prod and Baton for it. I know you think the Pepper Spray is useless but I always found it handy to stop enemies in their tracks long enough for me to back-attack them.
The music in the escape part is pretty awesome as well, definitely one of the best parts of the game's soundtrack. It has an odd mournful bitterness to it in the way of "how could you do this to me, I can't stay here anymore even after everything I did for you". I like the feeling of that.

The battle music is also really kickass in this. Something people might not know about this game's soundtrack, is that EVERY SINGLE AREA of the game has four different variations. A normal theme, a battle theme, a conversation/dialog theme, and a death theme. Literally every area in the game has this, even areas you might not think you can actually die in.

It always felt...wrong normally to kill someone so quickly with the killswitch but...honestly gently caress Anna, she's a drat cold bitch and she had it coming all the way.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I did kill Lebedev and we saw this conversation, actually. Plus I wouldn't call Carter "idealistic" so much as just "optimistic." He's optimistic in that he believes that an organization like UNATCO can recover from having folks like Manderley and Simons in charge and still do some good further down the line; to be idealistic he'd have to think that UNATCO could be made immune to the influence of men like them.
He's definitely like a good cop in an entire branch of crooks, who genuinely wants to believe that the ideal of his group can still be attained as lawful members of good. But he knows also that he can do that same work from the inside by using his weight and opinion to try and change people for the better, a war of ideas from inside the organisation rather than a war of bullets in a revolution.
I like Carter. He's one of my favourite people in UNATCO and to me he's like an uncle to JC. An old war veteran uncle who just wants to see the kid turn out right.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I've never actually tried it, but does the game consider knocking Lebedev out as killing him or sparing him?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

fool_of_sound posted:

I've never actually tried it, but does the game consider knocking Lebedev out as killing him or sparing him?
Either way Navarre kills him if you don't so it doesn't really matter.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

He's definitely like a good cop in an entire branch of crooks, who genuinely wants to believe that the ideal of his group can still be attained as lawful members of good. But he knows also that he can do that same work from the inside by using his weight and opinion to try and change people for the better, a war of ideas from inside the organisation rather than a war of bullets in a revolution.
I like Carter. He's one of my favourite people in UNATCO and to me he's like an uncle to JC. An old war veteran uncle who just wants to see the kid turn out right.

The problem with his viewpoint is that organizations have their inertia. Members that don't fit are usually either slowly converted to the dominating viewpoints, silently moved to a position where they are unable to do any damage or just expelled. I don't share Carter's optimistic view of UNATCO - during the game we had enough occasions to see its members applaud us for straight-out executing terrorists or complaining that they are made to do a non-violent approach. Most of them also need one order from the guy who isn't even in their organization to start shooting at their former colleague. Not to mention them erasing proofs of Manderley's corruption.

Hell, even Carter's own career is the proof against his ideology. Despite having been a general, he's just a supervisor in the armory, removed from the command structure as much as possible. And Sherman pretty much sacks him after JC's escape and fills UNATCO with even more obedient goons.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
When you're in the MJ-12 bunker, are there that many hints besides Paul that you're under UNATCO? I remember on my first playthrough it was a hell of a suckerpunch to get out of the facility, realise that the enemies I was fighting had switched to being UNATCO troopers, and have it gradually dawn on me that the corridors I was escaping through were starting to look eerily familiar.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

The problem with his viewpoint is that organizations have their inertia. Members that don't fit are usually either slowly converted to the dominating viewpoints, silently moved to a position where they are unable to do any damage or just expelled. I don't share Carter's optimistic view of UNATCO - during the game we had enough occasions to see its members applaud us for straight-out executing terrorists or complaining that they are made to do a non-violent approach. Most of them also need one order from the guy who isn't even in their organization to start shooting at their former colleague. Not to mention them erasing proofs of Manderley's corruption.

Hell, even Carter's own career is the proof against his ideology. Despite having been a general, he's just a supervisor in the armory, removed from the command structure as much as possible. And Sherman pretty much sacks him after JC's escape and fills UNATCO with even more obedient goons.

Still, Carter's existence and beliefs is proof enough that UNATCO wasn't always focused on lethal methods and summary executions, plus Paul presumably joined back when that wasn't the case, too, or else he'd probably have bought into Manderley and Simons' narrative. The move from "world police" to "paramilitary force" seems to have taken place within the last few years. Not very long as far as institutions go, but long enough for MJ-12 to replace all the high-level desk jockeys who were then able to cycle out the veterans for indoctrinated youngsters. It's true that Page and his cronies made sure to completely corrupt UNATCO once they got their fingers in deep enough, but without MJ-12's deliberate influence I think Carter would've been right, and the UNATCO that could only relegate a decorated general like him might have been able to be saved.

So I don't fault him for trying to work within the system to effect change; he was there to see UNATCO at its best, and he had no way of knowing just how insidious his opponents really were. Plus I think even Carter understood the winds were shifting. If the French slogan didn't tip you off, the "Minister of True Lies" is what the leader of Silhouette calls himself. Both Daedalus and the Silhouette security attack got into the facility because Carter let them in.

Marker17501
Jul 8, 2013

Woops. For some reason I thought you let Anna kill him. Guess my memory was playing tricks on me.

Anyway, fair point about Carter. "Optimistic" is definitely the right word. You get a more pessimistic view on the issue by Helios later in the game, who basically says that human institutions are hopeless and that decision making duties should be handed over to an AI.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm pretty sure Gunther actually has a slightly different line if you manage to make your way past Anna without killing her.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Either way Navarre kills him if you don't so it doesn't really matter.
Didn't Bobbin show off a way to get around that?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Didn't Bobbin show off a way to get around that?
It's like killing Anna; one of those things that you can technically get around by pulling off tricks with the engine, but the game considers something to have happened regardless of whether it did or not.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I'm pretty sure Gunther actually has a slightly different line if you manage to make your way past Anna without killing her.

Well, that's impossible to do without glitching the game or cheating with noclip, so he doesn't, no. I checked anyway using noclip, and what seems to happen is that when you pass the point where Gunther is supposed to say his line nothing happens instead. The rest of the game proceeds as though she's dead, though.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

The game considers him "killed", and continues to consider him killed no matter how long you lug his unconscious form around. Manderley will happily congratulate you for having killed Lebedev while Lebedev snoozes peacefully sprawled across Manderley's desk.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sam Hall posted:

The game considers him "killed", and continues to consider him killed no matter how long you lug his unconscious form around. Manderley will happily congratulate you for having killed Lebedev while Lebedev snoozes peacefully sprawled across Manderley's desk.
That's just not good enough. My immersion is ruined.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Still, Carter's existence and beliefs is proof enough that UNATCO wasn't always focused on lethal methods and summary executions, plus Paul presumably joined back when that wasn't the case, too, or else he'd probably have bought into Manderley and Simons' narrative. The move from "world police" to "paramilitary force" seems to have taken place within the last few years. Not very long as far as institutions go, but long enough for MJ-12 to replace all the high-level desk jockeys who were then able to cycle out the veterans for indoctrinated youngsters. It's true that Page and his cronies made sure to completely corrupt UNATCO once they got their fingers in deep enough, but without MJ-12's deliberate influence I think Carter would've been right, and the UNATCO that could only relegate a decorated general like him might have been able to be saved.

So I don't fault him for trying to work within the system to effect change; he was there to see UNATCO at its best, and he had no way of knowing just how insidious his opponents really were. Plus I think even Carter understood the winds were shifting. If the French slogan didn't tip you off, the "Minister of True Lies" is what the leader of Silhouette calls himself. Both Daedalus and the Silhouette security attack got into the facility because Carter let them in.

From the intro it sounds like UNATCO was formed pretty recently. Manderley and the rest of his crew seems to have been there from the very beginning: you can spot Gunther on the frame when Simons is talking about them. There might have been more idealistic members in the beginning, but the corrupting influence were there from the very start. I don't think that organization ever stood a chance - it was too useful for Page. Carter could talk about non-violence all he wanted, but it wouldn't influence new recruits as much as Manderley giving "shoot to kill" orders, or seeing Hermann and Navarre rampage their way through the mission area. Seeing the attitude of UNATCO soldiers, I doubt he was very influential among them.

The only time he managed to do something meaningful to change UNATCO involved letting a captured terrorist escape, sweep through the entire facility and replenish supplies in the armory. While commendable and very brave, is probably not what most people plan when they try to work within the system and make it better.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

From the intro it sounds like UNATCO was formed pretty recently. Manderley and the rest of his crew seems to have been there from the very beginning: you can spot Gunther on the frame when Simons is talking about them. There might have been more idealistic members in the beginning, but the corrupting influence were there from the very start. I don't think that organization ever stood a chance - it was too useful for Page. Carter could talk about non-violence all he wanted, but it wouldn't influence new recruits as much as Manderley giving "shoot to kill" orders, or seeing Hermann and Navarre rampage their way through the mission area. Seeing the attitude of UNATCO soldiers, I doubt he was very influential among them.

The only time he managed to do something meaningful to change UNATCO involved letting a captured terrorist escape, sweep through the entire facility and replenish supplies in the armory. While commendable and very brave, is probably not what most people plan when they try to work within the system and make it better.

Actually, the ceremony during the intro was just to dedicate the UNATCO facility on Liberty Island, which is so recent it's described as "under construction" on public maps. The organization itself is old enough that Carter was in operations which dealt with the Northwest War, a war which took place twenty years before the game starts.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

I just checked this, and while the MiB has a key for those shelves in the nanotech lab, he does not have a canister.

:ortiz: (No idea why I thought that was actually the case.)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

FinalGamer posted:

The battle music is also really kickass in this. Something people might not know about this game's soundtrack, is that EVERY SINGLE AREA of the game has four different variations. A normal theme, a battle theme, a conversation/dialog theme, and a death theme. Literally every area in the game has this, even areas you might not think you can actually die in.

However, finding an absolute 100% full OST of the game--including all the dialogue music--is a right pain in the rear end.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

However, finding an absolute 100% full OST of the game--including all the dialogue music--is a right pain in the rear end.

I Googled "Deus Ex music files" and got a pretty good result. You could also look into finding a program which can convert the .umx format. DX's music isn't packed into bigger files so it's actually pretty easy to rework into something you can pop into an mp3 player.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Slimnoid posted:

I managed to find one on a videogame music site, and yes it was probably ripped direct from the game. I'm sure other places have it and I know Youtube has a couple of playlists of them fully. Remember guys, there's always someone playing Deus Ex somewhere!

There's also something else music-related that I think no one's mentioned on this thread but I'll wait until a much later level.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
edit: never mind.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I confess there was a period of my life where I slept almost exclusively to DX soundtrack music. I really wish there were longer versions of the various endgame themes because Helios ending song can trance me out if I let it.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
I had the biggest grin on my face when I played Deus Ex 3 and 2:50 in this bit came up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCGBzrpxpsU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

This is basically the point that completely vindicates Carter's point of view. If Carter hadn's stuck around and done what good he could from inside UNATCO, both JC and Paul would be dead and the bad guys would have won.

It's a bit odd that such an important hint is buried in a computer that you have no reason to even interact with, but that's Deus Ex for you I guess.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Didn't the bad guys win anyway, at least according to what I know about DX2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I Googled "Deus Ex music files" and got a pretty good result. You could also look into finding a program which can convert the .umx format. DX's music isn't packed into bigger files so it's actually pretty easy to rework into something you can pop into an mp3 player.

ModPlug's the best one, and I think it does separate the different tracks.

One of the mods for Deus Ex that never got around to popping up had a soundtrack that was mostly remixes of the New York Streets 2 convo song.

• Locked thread