Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The only good reason I can think of for soul memory is to prevent low-level invasions (regardless of how people feel about low-level invasions). I'm of the opinion that once you get to 500,000 SM (or some other arbitrary low-midrange number), SM restrictions should be massively loosened or entirely removed. It is a bad mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
This is just the best thing ever:

Everyone with voice chat who summons me loves it, "A punching clown? Are you kidding me!"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

Snipe him with lightning, he didn't even get close to me when I did that abyss. The Black Gulch one is the real bastard. Keep in mind that if you die to the Darklurker you have to do whichever abyss you enter all over again, so go to the Shaded Woods if you don't want to tear your hair out.

The Black Gulch one was super easy for me. I guess maybe I shouldn't be trying to sandbag my GLS shots for the boss.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I understand the "point" behind Soul Memory(To prevent Twinks, like what made Undead Bourgh a nightmare for beginners in DS1), but it's honestly completely pointless, since Cracked Red Eye orbs aren't available from vendor before NG+. And NG+ players are in a different matchmaking pool than those in NG as far as I know.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Elysiume posted:

The only good reason I can think of for soul memory is to prevent low-level invasions (regardless of how people feel about low-level invasions). I'm of the opinion that once you get to 500,000 SM (or some other arbitrary low-midrange number), SM restrictions should be massively loosened or entirely removed. It is a bad mechanic.

Same thoughts here. I just want to help other Sunbros out :(

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Cicadalek posted:

Hexers hood is so good though. I mean I can take or leave 1 faith/ 1 INT but its also the difference between 2 soul geysers or 3

The first time I used soul geyser it brought back memories of begging my alcoholic mother to buy me one of the fountain fireworks for the fourth of July, and then disappoiningtly finding out it only releases a few lovely sparks and lasts all of 5 seconds

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm at a soul level of 4 million and getting no summons whatsoever. Soul memory system is dumb as gently caress. "Want to be a completionist? Sure! You'll be exiled from pvp"

One of my guys is around 6 mil and I can get constant invasions using stones, and get constantly invaded by blues. Heide's seems to be the go to spot for high sm pvp.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's barely even noticeable. Take off that lion mage poo poo and hexers hood :colbert:

Brother you have set me freeeeeee

Fashion souls!

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Robot Randy posted:

The first time I used soul geyser it brought back memories of begging my alcoholic mother to buy me one of the fountain fireworks for the fourth of July, and then disappoiningtly finding out it only releases a few lovely sparks and lasts all of 5 seconds

Are you thinking of Soul Vortex? Soul Geyser absolutely wrecks a fair amount of bosses.

Sex Robot posted:

So I finally burned the gently caress out after the final great soul was just chilling on the floor behind a generic spider boss
I sort of got bored and went and infinite healthed the gargoyles, and gave myself 99 lockstones to see the cool poo poo they did. Now when I was just finishing the last Bastille I was unimpressed, but some goon said "After the Bastille is when it all kicks off!"
Poison World/Fire world pissed me off and I blinked and missed The Gutter.
So does it really super ultra kick off when you have got all the souls? Or are the best parts behind me?

I thought the game got really good at the area you'll go to after having obtained all four of the Great Souls, but I enjoyed the first half as well. If you aren't enjoying it by now I don't think it's going to particularly win your heart over.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 4, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

The Black Gulch one was super easy for me. I guess maybe I shouldn't be trying to sandbag my GLS shots for the boss.

The boss is so incredibly weak to lightning that you won't need much. If you have two attuned you should have enough without even requiring an item to restore uses.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Umberger posted:

Are you thinking of Soul Vortex? Soul Geyser absolutely wrecks a fair amount of bosses.

Nah, soul geyser is the one that shoots up and rains down poo poo for a bit, right? All that happened when I used it was a few sparkles came out and hit a hollow for like 91 damage, so I unequipped it and never looked back

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Robot Randy posted:

Nah, soul geyser is the one that shoots up and rains down poo poo for a bit, right? All that happened when I used it was a few sparkles came out and hit a hollow for like 91 damage, so I unequipped it and never looked back

Nah, that's Soul Shower (Which is indeed worthless). Soul Geyser is basically three Soul Spears, and is probably the highest damaging PvE spell for Sorcerers.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Robot Randy posted:

That's Soul Shower, which is terrible.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I keep dropping my small white summoning stone before the second part of Iron Keep and dropping my host into the lava with the pressure plates after completing my duty. I can't stop, its become an obsession. I should feel bad, but when you summon a guy wearing a clown costume you really outta be expecting shenanigans.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wow, gently caress you Darklurker. You all know why, just gently caress you.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RobertDowneyJr posted:

Question. It doesn't seem like there's any Dex weapons that can actually do damage.
Are the katanas any good?

The katanas are great, actually! If you're a Dex build I strongly recommend getting to Iron Keep ASAP so you can get a blacksteel or an Uchi. Once you've got one of those mess around with poo poo until you get something you like (I hear a lightning infused chaos blade with sunlight blade is stupid strong, if you've got the stats for it.)

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

Is that the 64 int one? They're all called Soul something. I didn't like the one which was a ball of blue which went through some old knights at Heide's and did about 250 damage total to any of them it hit. Which one am I thinking of?

dis astranagant posted:

"Man, I got all prepared and hyped up for a boss this easy?"

Lightning Spears, man.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

DSauer posted:

I keep dropping my small white summoning stone before the second part of Iron Keep and dropping my host into the lava with the pressure plates after completing my duty. I can't stop, its become an obsession. I should feel bad, but when you summon a guy wearing a clown costume you really outta be expecting shenanigans.

Yeah, that makes 2 of us. Or pull the lever when they;re crossing the middle bit. They panic and hurl themselves into the lavs

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Is that the 64 int one? They're all called Soul something. I didn't like the one which was a ball of blue which went through some old knights at Heide's and did about 250 damage total to any of them it hit. Which one am I thinking of?

Soul Vortex. For future reference this is Soul Geyser. It is incredibly effective on most large enemies and bosses.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Broken Cog posted:

I understand the "point" behind Soul Memory(To prevent Twinks, like what made Undead Bourgh a nightmare for beginners in DS1), but it's honestly completely pointless, since Cracked Red Eye orbs aren't available from vendor before NG+. And NG+ players are in a different matchmaking pool than those in NG as far as I know.

Yeah they basically doubled down on the solutions there and ended up with a double oopsie. The soul memory system is actually a really good idea (I say this as one of the people that would flood all my souls into pyromancy and dominate at low level), but an ideal system would just account for souls spent (levels, purchases, and upgrades) while ignoring souls lost to avoid punishing inexperienced players or those participating in co-op/pvp just for fun instead of levels.

I'm still doing pyromancy because I like fire, but its another example where soul memory doesnt make things better anything since they already spread out the upgrades all over so I couldn't even dominate at a low level if I wanted to.

And man they took way too much advice from the scrubs about the dickwraiths. I didn't end up using my cracked eye orbs until I already made it into the covenant thinking I'd get more but then realized what a hastle it was and burned through all 10ish I had a once. It was a hell of a run though, even got to see a blue phantom in action.

At least the bell bros are fun as hell. Havent tried rats yet, although I constantly head back there in between warps just for the fight and chance at an extra pharros stone.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 4, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Soul Memory is a fine mechanic but everyone with a 1 or 2 mil SM should be in the same bracket. Or higher I mean. It's so goddamn irrelevant at that point.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

keyframe posted:

Just finished the game and still got no idea what the story was about or who that end boss was or anything really.

Really simple story explanation

Nashandra or w/e her name is is basically Manus reanimated after the abyss broke up into tiny pieces. she was the smallest of the pieces and decided to find the the other pieces of the abyss (maybe? idk) to be all powerful or whatever. she marries the king and basically tells him to do all certain kinds of stuff, most notably take something the giants find sacred or really important. This pisses the giants off and they invade and topple the kingdom. Somewhere during this time the king kinda realized he's been manipulated by the queen and goes into exile where he eventually goes hollow. Nashandra rules over the kingdom until you show up i guess.

feel free to correct me if i'm misunderstanding anything

dis astranagant posted:

Only reason why I upgraded Rebel's shield to +10/dark

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dreggon posted:

"Man, I got all prepared and hyped up for a boss this easy?"

Lightning Spears, man.

More like motherfucker hits me for 99% no matter what he does and then flails around with his lovely lightsaber during his death animation. Killed me with that as I figured I'd just chuck the killing blow and reach for my drink.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
No one goes to Belfry Sol :(

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

SM murdered gimmick characters. In dark Souls 1 it was common to have chars dedicated to certain areas such as helping at certain bosses or invading certain areas.

The most fun I had in dark souls 1 was playing a faith build that ran around sen's naked armed with nothing but emit force, the hello carving and poo.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 4, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

More like motherfucker hits me for 99% no matter what he does and then flails around with his lovely lightsaber during his death animation.

Don't get close to him, shoot lightning. He take an absolutely absurd amount of damage to Great Lightning Spear and if you stay away he just casts slow moving magic. It's honestly a little pathetic.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I met my first hacker just now. It was in one of the arenas.
He had infinite hp that wouldn't go down, so i ran away with the stamina ring forever.
Six or so minutes later he adds in infinite stamina and manages to catch me. What a great engine that guy has!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

A great... CHEAT ENGINE that is :smuggo:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

bef posted:

Really simple story explanation

Nashandra or w/e her name is is basically Manus reanimated after the abyss broke up into tiny pieces. she was the smallest of the pieces and decided to find the the other pieces of the abyss (maybe? idk) to be all powerful or whatever. she marries the king and basically tells him to do all certain kinds of stuff, most notably take something the giants find sacred or really important. This pisses the giants off and they invade and topple the kingdom. Somewhere during this time the king kinda realized he's been manipulated by the queen and goes into exile where he eventually goes hollow. Nashandra rules over the kingdom until you show up i guess.

feel free to correct me if i'm misunderstanding anything

This is correct as a general summary, though its probably also worth noting that Vendrick was trying to find ways around the undead curse while his kingdom crumbled around him, unaware of what Nashandra had done. He was already beginning to go hollow when he fled to the Crypt.

Its honestly not that hard to understand if you pay attention. The themes behind the game and some of the more subtle plot details require more analysis but the basic gist of the story becomes pretty clear from Drangleic Castle onwards. I enjoyed the story a lot, but it ends on such a low note.

Sex Robot posted:

So I finally burned the gently caress out after the final great soul was just chilling on the floor behind a generic spider boss
I sort of got bored and went and infinite healthed the gargoyles, and gave myself 99 lockstones to see the cool poo poo they did. Now when I was just finishing the last Bastille I was unimpressed, but some goon said "After the Bastille is when it all kicks off!"
Poison World/Fire world pissed me off and I blinked and missed The Gutter.
So does it really super ultra kick off when you have got all the souls? Or are the best parts behind me?

If you're already willing to seek out cheats and abuse them no, you're not going to enjoy this game.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I was getting a bunch of hits there between 2-3k SM.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

I just went to belfry sol to see if I could get that unique phantom to spawn and got invaded almost instantly. Around 1.7m soul memory.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Is there any info about how the delicate string (item that increases chances of being invaded) works?

I was about to ask if anyone knew of an item that resets the invasion timers when I remembered that thing sold by the Brotherhood of Blood sounding kinda what I wanted. Although I can't really tell what group that even applies to... probably just red? maybe, blue. I was hoping for something that would effect covenants too.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I didn't realize that some of the enemies actually hunt down the host when you invade as a Blue Sentinel. I was doing invasions in Huntsman's Copse and two of the bandits actually ran with me all the way from the area right before the second bonfire to the first bonfire where the host was camping. Another time I got summoned on the bridge to the Undead Purgatory and the phantom that guards the fog gate ran all the way out to the middle of the bridge all on his own.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Is there any info about how the delicate string (item that increases chances of being invaded) works?

I was about to ask if anyone knew of an item that resets the invasion timers when I remembered that thing sold by the Brotherhood of Blood sounding kinda what I wanted. Although I can't really tell what group that even applies to... probably just red? maybe, blue. I was hoping for something that would effect covenants too.

I was going through Doors of Pharros while having forgotten I was wearing the delicate string and just got chain-summoned repeatedly.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

As far as I am aware, the Delicate String simply removes the invasion timer. That is, normally the game won't let you get invaded X amount of minutes after you were just invaded, but if you wear that ring you can get invaded instantly. It's also purported to put you higher in the "invasion queue".

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Belfry Sol was where I farmed out like 70% of my covenant wins but as the game gets older I imagine that will get a lot harder.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Finally managed to punk the gargoyles in Belfry Luna, although dealing with that huge dog pack and NPC invader afterwards was pretty harrowing. At least now I have the key and can do Lost Sinner in easier fashion :w00t:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Speaking of the Lost Sinner, what does lighting the torches do? I went back to that near the end of the game and all they did was light the boss room up.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

Speaking of the Lost Sinner, what does lighting the torches do? I went back to that near the end of the game and all they did was light the boss room up.

Thats all they do. You can lock on from further out.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Makes it easier to target him. I don't even think it's that useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Lock-on range is decreased in the dark. You have to have the lights on before the fight for it to matter.