Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uggy posted:

Launch the fleet is the best limited card and I want to play it in constructed.

Wrong, hour of need is the best limited card. They're both amazing fun cards really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

uggy posted:

Launch the fleet is the best limited card and I want to play it in constructed.

White Weenies.

Turn 1 Soldier
Turn 2 Soldier Dryad Militant, swing two.
Turn 3 Brimaz, swing six.
Turn 4 Launch and Strive 3 times, swing 13. :getin:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Wrong, hour of need is the best limited card. They're both amazing fun cards really.

Hour of Need and Harness By Force are the best.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Hour of Need and Harness By Force are the best.

Polymorphous Rush is absolutely the best.

I think what we're saying is that Strive is a loving awesome mechanic.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Count Bleck posted:

White Weenies.

Turn 1 Soldier
Turn 2 Soldier Dryad Militant, swing two.
Turn 3 Brimaz, swing six.
Turn 4 Launch and Strive 3 times, swing 13. :getin:

turn 1 soldier
turn 2 soldier, dryad militant, swing two
turn 3 launch, strive twice swing 9
turn 4 spear of heliod swing 15

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

uggy posted:

turn 1 soldier
turn 2 soldier, dryad militant, swing two
turn 3 launch, strive twice swing 9
turn 4 spear of heliod swing 15

Okay fine but I get a bunch of soldier tokens which is very relevant because it's more damage split over a larger set of creautres.

Also you're a buttface and smell like farts :mad:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
B/G dredge living the dream of Nighthowler bestowed on Nighthowler. Swing for 18.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Loving Life Partner posted:

The announcers keep mentioning 20 lands, but with Caryatids, Wayfinders, Grisly, and Commune is 20 really awful? I guess the answer can easily be "YES." given this evidence but generally speaking I suppose.

EDIT:
I think Mystic is in there too.

I'll be going up to 21 or 22, being short one creature in the 'yard isn't really going to hurt you while being one land short is completely crippling. Especially since you've now got the scrylands to help avoid drawing any extras.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Neat, I made 17 tickets off the free events today, and I still have a draft set of Shadowmoor/Eventide left. Pauper Stompy here I come!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I like that dredge is doing well but I hope it doesn't do too well because people might start side boarding against it.

Conflicting.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Four loving Detention Spheres.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Count Bleck posted:

Four loving Detention Spheres.

And four dissipates. Heartbreaking.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Count Bleck posted:

All it's missing is the 1/1 mana dork, actually.

And then, we ride. :getin:

I just restarted in theros, has there ever not been a dork in the core set? I know mystic elf is new. In M13, wasn't it untap a forest elf? I don't know anything further back.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Boxman posted:

I just restarted in theros, has there ever not been a dork in the core set? I know mystic elf is new. In M13, wasn't it untap a forest elf? I don't know anything further back.

No. The closest is exactly that: Arbor Elf didn't techinically generate any mana. (Corner case where you draw temples and don't have forest to untap.)

However, WotC tried to make the standard for mana elves 2drops back in Onslaught and the community kicked back against it hard. There hasn't been this kick this time, so they might be trying to use that to slow the green decks down a touch by maknig them use voyaging saytr/sylvan caryatid/Golden Hind.

Though I still think they might have changed Golden Hind in development. I think it might have been a Birds of Paradise replacement, but then they decided it was pushed as a piker, or maybe havign it AND sylvan Caryatid both produce any colour in block was too good, something like that.

Wait and see for M15, I guess.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Every core set from Alpha through to 8th had Birds of Paradise, 9th through M12 had Llanowar Elves, M13 had Arbor Elf and M14 has Elvish Mystic. Many of those sets had more than one 1-drop mana dork.

That said, there's quite a glut of 2-drop mana dorks in Theros. It wouldn't be completely out of the question to not print a 1-drop mana dork until partway through Ducks block, just shake that up a little.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Junk midrange looks really rad, Advent man, dang.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
All right, only 5 out of a possible 32 Mana Confluence in the SCG Top 8, hopefully that means the price will continue to drop.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boco_T posted:

All right, only 5 out of a possible 32 Mana Confluence in the SCG Top 8, hopefully that means the price will continue to drop.

I've been trying to tell people it's just City of Brass (which already exists and isn't really played in eternal formats) so not to buy in at full price, but :shrug: people love wasting money

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
BW Midrange was 1st place after cut to top 8, or am I misreading something? (Also woo that guy is local and plays at my LGS)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tharizdun posted:

I've been trying to tell people it's just City of Brass (which already exists and isn't really played in eternal formats) so not to buy in at full price, but :shrug: people love wasting money

Yeah, but Mana Confluence dodges City in a Bottle.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Devor posted:

Arabian Nights block must've been dreadful.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Tharizdun posted:

Yeah, I don't even want to play them I just started playing again with M14 and decided my collecting "thing" would be to get a playset of every land from each set as it came out. I don't want to pay $40 for a playset of City of Brass, much less $60.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Devor posted:

Because of the updated wording that gives it a state-based trigger, what happens when I control Oubliette and Avacyn and my opponent controls City in a Bottle? Draw?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Arabian Nights block must've been dreadful.

Arabian Nights was before the block structure :ssh:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Tharizdun posted:

Because of the updated wording that gives it a state-based trigger, what happens when I control Oubliette and Avacyn and my opponent controls City in a Bottle? Draw?

Indestructible does not stop you sacrificing permanents.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mehall posted:

Indestructible does not stop you sacrificing permanents.

:doh: I meant Sigarda

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Honestly what does RG have after rotation?
What does any deck have? It's an entirely new set we know zero about.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Tharizdun posted:

:doh: I meant Sigarda

I believe it only triggers the once for any single permanent, and Sigarda would stop you sacc-ing it, so you get to keep both.

Whether or not thats how it's coded on MTGO, I don't know :P (But City in a bottle is not on MTGO. Maybe for this reason.)

(And I knew you meant Sigarda :P)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I mean you get the fabulous Mono U 4 turn special: Dakra, Starfish, Thassa, Master of Waves.

Which seems about as mediocre as it sounds.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

I mean you get the fabulous Mono U 4 turn special: Dakra, Starfish, Thassa, Master of Waves.

Which seems about as mediocre as it sounds.

Dakra Mystic might actually be playable in Mono-U since the problems you usually run into are that you need more cards to dump on the board.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tharizdun posted:

I think so. Whenever someone receives priority, the ability triggers, you try to sacrifice it but Sigarda doesn't let you, so the ability does nothing. Then state-based effects occur, the ability re-triggers...

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Entropic posted:

The graveyard deck seems like it could be pretty good. It loses Jarad and Salvage, but keeping Pharika, Nighthowler, and Commune means that a lot of its engine is still online.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Trying to speculate about post-rotation standard will never not be dumb.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Boxman posted:

The graveyard deck seems like it could be pretty good. It loses Jarad and Salvage, but keeping Pharika, Nighthowler, and Commune means that a lot of its engine is still online.

Kruphix's insight can replace salvage, but its a bit of a downgrade unless you start jamming enchantments in there and bump up the land count.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Between Commune, Kruphix's Insight, Satyr Wayfinder and Nyx Weaver, there are still plenty of graveyard-filling effects. You can't get away with only 20 land without Salvage, and you lose a fair bit of your reach in Jarad and Lotleth Troll, but Herald of Torment is still good evasion and hopefully there'll be a cheap, resilient trampler for Bestowing things on in the core set or the next block.

Comedy option Charging Badger.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Tharizdun posted:

I play City of Brass all the time :colbert:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Tharizdun posted:

Yeah but then you don't play standard or what?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Boco_T posted:

I thought all the hype was about its use post rotation. With shocks in, it's not really going to find its place yet.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Tharizdun posted:

I traded two Confluence for two Thoughtseize the other day and consider that I got the best of that deal. I think its current price is not sustainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I traded one the day I got it for 4 scrylands I needed and I'm trying to get rid of this second one I have before a drop. $20 is too high to expect it to stay, even after rotation. Not many decks will want more than 2 probably anyways.

• Locked thread