Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

The problem with putting a lock-dependent weapon on this is that it's going to gently caress up the action flow. As would Scotty or basically any other card that uses my action. All this build wants to do is double-scan, double-evade, and laugh at the pile of aux tokens it racks up doing so.

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing, but what you're working with is pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
I can imagine this may have been covered before, but I just got into the game, so hopefully you will humor me.

Is there a buyer's guide for someone just getting into the game? I played a three player game with the base ships, and would like to get some more to have a bit bigger battles. Any suggestions for what to get first?

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
Mostly it depends upon if you're going to be doing Organized Play events or just doing casual style play among friends. Both are great, but both are pretty far from one another imho.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Gropey C posted:

Mostly it depends upon if you're going to be doing Organized Play events or just doing casual style play among friends. Both are great, but both are pretty far from one another imho.

Probably just casual. One of my FLGS used to do organized play, not sure if they still do.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

well I'd go with the smaller ships then and play the scenario's. I think that tends to make for a better game than the best ships possible, because well that's the whole separate thing. Klingons and Romulans are a blast to play. Big time ships in order of importance to the meta game are...

Borg Sphere
Voyager
Bioship Alpha
Tiny Enterprise (crew is crazy)
Valdore
Bird of Prey
Reliant
Defiant

I think that's the order I'd buy them in...unless you want to focus on specific races which would lead to an entirely different list

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I've found the Defiant to be frequently out of stock so I'd grab that if you see it. It was a high priority for me because I'm a huge DS9 fan and I'm just playing this casually (so YMMV). OP is non-existent in my area.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

For casual play you can pretty much pick up what interests you, and for competitive play most of those ships will have some role or some upgrade that can help out a competitive list.

If there's a specific captain/crew that interests you the squad builder shows which upgrades are included with which ships.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Welp, just tried this against a sphere + hidekis build and it was as hilarious as it seems.

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)
U.S.S Enterprise (22)
Kathryn Janeway (5)
Flagship (0)
Disobey Orders (2)
Disobey Orders (2)
Tom Paris (4)
Dmitri Valtane (3)
Mr. Spock (5)
Ship SP: 43

Miranda Class (18)
Federation Captain (0)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 23

Miranda Class (18)
Clark Terrell (1)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 24

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

http://wizkidsgames.com/thecollective/

I'm a FedFan, and I still think that's too drat much Federation in the prizes. Would have been nice to show other factions love. 3/4 prizes Feds and the last one Vulcan, so basically proto-Fed. I mean for strictly self-interested reasons they all look hella cool, but Goddamn even though it's the path of least resistance with the most source to draw from not everything should be all Fed all the time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

http://wizkidsgames.com/thecollective/

I'm a FedFan, and I still think that's too drat much Federation in the prizes. Would have been nice to show other factions love. 3/4 prizes Feds and the last one Vulcan, so basically proto-Fed. I mean for strictly self-interested reasons they all look hella cool, but Goddamn even though it's the path of least resistance with the most source to draw from not everything should be all Fed all the time.

The licensing agreement they have really screw them over in terms the content they can produce for the game, so just expect to ride the Fed Train for as long as Attack Wing exists.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I assume Collective OP1 is going to be; Joust on the far side of the map while Orbital weapons platforms a Borg cube shoots you.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

I assume Collective OP1 is going to be; Joust on the far side of the map while Orbital weapons platforms a Borg cube shoots you.

I imagine it's going to involve holding out for as long as you can until you break down and beg Q to intervene.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The licensing agreement they have really screw them over in terms the content they can produce for the game, so just expect to ride the Fed Train for as long as Attack Wing exists.

Yeah, reading between the lines it seems like CBS doesn't want them getting too "creative."

I admit I'm pretty stoked about the Stargazer, curious about Assimilation Target, and think the Raven will probably be the Fed's version of the Vo/Apnex, which means it could fill an interesting tactical gap.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Yeah, reading between the lines it seems like CBS doesn't want them getting too "creative."

Honestly, the easy route there is just make poo poo like Breen Heavy Weapons Cruiser or Breen Assault Cruiser, and make a bunch of generic "unique" captains.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwQhQRk7iOk

Thollian ship info.

Ship itself is really squishy. The web though has the potential to gently caress poo poo up, and the ship itself is cheap.

Red Alert is a turd talent for most applications. IMO Disobey Orders is strictly better.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

My local store is running the OP events for Attack Wing (they just recently finished the Dominion War). I have some experience with the X-Wing game but grew up on Star Trek, so I was thinking of getting a little bit into this game too.

I wanted to put together a force for the upcoming OP events and was trying to figure out how to do it with a minimum of ships (don't have enough to spend on collecting full X-Wing and Attack Wing sets). I've been looking over the ship builder website, but without much experience in the game, it wasn't obvious to me what makes a good build. I saw the Borg were just released, so would a couple of Borg Spheres be all right to start with? Otherwise, I've always been a fan of the way the Federation ships look and have already picked up the Starter Set and the Excelsior.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Malthusian posted:

My local store is running the OP events for Attack Wing (they just recently finished the Dominion War). I have some experience with the X-Wing game but grew up on Star Trek, so I was thinking of getting a little bit into this game too.

I wanted to put together a force for the upcoming OP events and was trying to figure out how to do it with a minimum of ships (don't have enough to spend on collecting full X-Wing and Attack Wing sets). I've been looking over the ship builder website, but without much experience in the game, it wasn't obvious to me what makes a good build. I saw the Borg were just released, so would a couple of Borg Spheres be all right to start with? Otherwise, I've always been a fan of the way the Federation ships look and have already picked up the Starter Set and the Excelsior.

Specifically to cheese the next event, two spheres will be crazy good I think. The whole premise is that you're boxed-in by a Thollian Web light-bikes style and being able to keep station using the borg maneuver dials will be almost like cheating.

But if you're collecting on a budget I don't recommend going too hog wild doubling up on stuff without seeing what's down the line for them unless you're just gonzo for Borgs.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Specifically to cheese the next event, two spheres will be crazy good I think. The whole premise is that you're boxed-in by a Thollian Web light-bikes style and being able to keep station using the borg maneuver dials will be almost like cheating.

But if you're collecting on a budget I don't recommend going too hog wild doubling up on stuff without seeing what's down the line for them unless you're just gonzo for Borgs.

It's not so much to cheese an event or that I'm super into Borg as it is that I figured Borg'd probably be expensive by points, so I wouldn't need more than one or two. Plus, being able to move in straight lines in all directions is kind of neat. But I just looked at the upcoming releases, and saw that they'll be getting more than just a cube and a sphere, so I think I will hold off on doubling up at the moment.

I also had a look at the fleet building rules and read that unlike X-Wing, you can mix factions in Attack Wing. I might throw a sphere in with some Federation ships and see how that goes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Malthusian posted:

I also had a look at the fleet building rules and read that unlike X-Wing, you can mix factions in Attack Wing. I might throw a sphere in with some Federation ships and see how that goes.

Yeah. It's a cause for a lot of nerd outrage, with some folks really balking at the deck-building aspect of the game and some venues even demanding spaceship rassenhygiene, in spite of the game not really working that way. Picard is good on virtually everything from Borg Sphere to Undine Bioship to Klingon Cruiser, frex. All of the really tricky attack-avoidance combos require mixing factions on your boat.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Borg Sphere 4270 (40)
Jean-Luc Picard (7)
Flagship (0)
Counter Attack (4)
Mr. Spock (6)
Feedback Pulse (8)
Ship SP: 65

I.R.W. Praetus (14)
Donatra (4)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Cloaked Mines (3)

Total Build SP: 99

It's things like this that make me hate cross faction lists so much especially when it comes to the borg sphere. Being able to create a durable monster that can evade, regenerate, scan (effectively offensive battlestations), and have some of the best movement

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Yeah. It's a cause for a lot of nerd outrage, with some folks really balking at the deck-building aspect of the game and some venues even demanding spaceship rassenhygiene, in spite of the game not really working that way. Picard is good on virtually everything from Borg Sphere to Undine Bioship to Klingon Cruiser, frex. All of the really tricky attack-avoidance combos require mixing factions on your boat.

In addition to this, the designers have been explicit in saying that the game was designed and playtested with faction mixing in mind.

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009

Gropey C posted:

Borg Sphere 4270 (40)
Jean-Luc Picard (7)
Flagship (0)
Counter Attack (4)
Mr. Spock (6)
Feedback Pulse (8)
Ship SP: 65

I.R.W. Praetus (14)
Donatra (4)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Cloaked Mines (3)

It's things like this that make me hate cross faction lists so much especially when it comes to the borg sphere. Being able to create a durable monster that can evade, regenerate, scan (effectively offensive battlestations), and have some of the best movement

Counterattack doesn't work on 360 degree fire arcs. They've FAQed the 360 as having neither a forward nor rear arc. http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15440746#15440746

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
There weren't nearly as many Borg players as I expected in my game store's Tholian Web OP event. I managed to come away with 1st place using high manuverability and low captain skill to force my opponents to bump and lose actions repeatedly.

Borg Sphere 4270 (40)
Tactical Drone (3)
Seven of Nine (4)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor (10)
Borg Tractor Beam (7)
Cutting Beam (8)
Feedback Pulse (8)
Ship SP: 80

Resource: Fed Fighters (20)

Total Build SP: 100

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How hard/easy was it to setup the Cutting beam?

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
I had plenty of tractor locks on ships, but I didn't end up firing the beam on them. I was focusing fire on ships, so my fighters got a lot of the glory on ships unlucky enough to be held down.

In general I have had few issues setting up the beam. It gets exponentially easier once you get a traffic jam in the middle of the board, which is almost my goal now. I know if I cause a jam, I'll get to move first and most likely cause my opponent to bump even more or give up any tactical advantage.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Won my Tholian Web OP using Borg Sphere, Praetus mine boat with Donatra. After playing it...the sphere is just too loving good. I really don't know how you beat them other than play a bunch of mines or mirror.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

With the rise of Assimilation and Conditional Surrender based builds, I think it might be time to try out the Electronic Warfare fleet again:

Resource: Flagship Independent (Romulan) (10)

Romulan Science Vessel (12)
Donatra (4)
EM Pulse (5)
Ship SP: 21

Romulan Captain (0)
EM Pulse (5)
Ship SP: 17

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Flagship (0)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Tom Paris (4)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Positron Beam (2)
Ship SP: 52

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

The Voyager is obviously my punch here, with oustanding action economy and the potential to throw out 7 dice at target locked battlestations. O'Brien gives me the option to shut off a key card that will hose me in the opposing fleet. The ship should have good survivability between it's 4 evade and the shield repair available from Mr. Scott. Checkov of course takes away the opportunity cost to using Voyager's unique text.

The Romulan EW birds seem expensive at first blush, but I think they have the potential to REALLY earn their supper with the Ferengi pulses. I can focus on a single ship and (1) seriously blunt its attack (2) prevent it from ever taking actions, since I can pile tokens on faster than it can clear them, if I maneuver well. Now a dedicated effort to take out either of them will probably kill them in one go, but that means one solid attack that my main ship doesn't have to suffer. Between O'Brien and the EM pulses, it becomes possible to shut off a clutch card like Conditional Surrender, Barrage of Fire, Assimilation Tubes, whatever, and prevent them from ever turning it on. The loss of attack dice is just a cherry on top. The Positron beam is just a super cheap way to pile another token on if something starts threatening to crawl out form under the pile of aux tokens.

Here's a refined version that might work even better:

List Name

Resource: Flagship Independent (Romulan) (10)

Donatra (4)
EM Pulse (5)

Clark Terrell (2)
Emergency Medical Hologram (3)
EM Pulse (5)
Ship SP: 22

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Flagship (0)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Ship SP: 46

Or maybe:
List Name

Resource: Flagship Independent (Fed) (10)

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Flagship (0)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Positron Beam (2)
Positron Beam (2)
Ship SP: 50

Donatra (4)
EM Pulse (5)

Clark Terrell (2)
EM Pulse (5)
Ship SP: 19

If I didn't hate the Undine so much their special ability on the named bioship would make a good centerpiece for this build.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 10, 2014

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

play sphere or lose to sphere...those are your options

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gropey C posted:

play sphere or lose to sphere...those are your options

Nah.

Naaaaah.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I think the Sphere will have a dramatic impact on the game. It's just got so much going for it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think the Sphere will have a dramatic impact on the game. It's just got so much going for it.

It's potent. It shakes things up. I don't think it's unbeatable. I've beaten it, I've lost with it.

0 agility, no evade is a hell of a liability in practice, I'm finding.

I think it was actually clever to lock the assimilation mechanic to drone tokens so you have to choose between pimping it out with Picard and assimilating stuff. I hope they don't give any Borg captain more than say 6-7 or so drone tokens.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Think I might try Khan with Ferengi Missiles and Joachim as a ballbuster.

MapleCarnage
Dec 30, 2010
I've decided recently that I would really like to buy into this game after seeing that Borg ships are being released. Is there anything I NEED to get from a competitive point-of-view, and how hard would it be to get them if they happen to be promos?

Also if there happen to be any of the devs lurking in this thread PLEASE make the N.S.E.A. Protector happen.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

MapleCarnage posted:

I've decided recently that I would really like to buy into this game after seeing that Borg ships are being released. Is there anything I NEED to get from a competitive point-of-view, and how hard would it be to get them if they happen to be promos?

If you're going right for the Borg, probably just a starter and a sphere or two will get you by. I'd probably personally hold out on the second sphere until we at least see what the Tactical Cube is like next month. I'd try to get some practice in with the starter ships, too, to get a handle on how they fly/work, even if you're going to go full-on Collective. The sphere is a radical departure from how earlier ships function in a lot of ways, and it's a good idea to figure out how the other side lives for when they come gunning for you.

LE ships run 30-90+ bucks depending on their show popularity and game utility, but I don't think any are strictly necessary to compete. Nice-to-have, sure, but there's no silver bullet that can't be replicated or countered by something available at retail. Heck, the two biggest ones I can think of offhand, Barrage of Fire from the Ch'Tang prize ship and Conditional Surrender from the Ferengi prize ship, both have hard counters just in the sphere retail pack.

The one must-have, IMO, is the Flagship resource, which is a participation prize from an event several months ago that just does a ton for 10 points and makes it into probably 75%+ of builds I see. Basically it turns one of your ships into a bigger, buffer ship with better stats, more upgrade slots, a free action, and an area buff to friendly ships. If you have trouble getting a hold of one I have like... infinity... due to a shipping error with that OP kit, and will send you one if you paypal me like fivebuxx to cover shipping. I've been using the surfeit to make sure new players locally have one to compete.

E: The fighters also aren't a bad idea, another participation prize, so shouldn't be ruinously hard to get a hold of. Particularly nice for the Borg since you can really tool up one ship and then just have one good, inexpensive ship in the form of the fighters.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 13, 2014

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Preview of the D'kyr is up. The upgrades and ship are pretty Vulcan good:
http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-attack-wing-5-dkyr-expansion-pack

Rules for the Arena OP are up. Get ready to rip your shirts and throw foam rocks at eachother:
http://wizkidsgames.com/wp-content/uploads/newattackwing/arenaop51414/Arena%20Instruction%20Sheet_Revised%20012214.pdf

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Rules for the Arena OP are up. Get ready to rip your shirts and throw foam rocks at eachother:
http://wizkidsgames.com/wp-content/uploads/newattackwing/arenaop51414/Arena%20Instruction%20Sheet_Revised%20012214.pdf

Maybe this time I won't get thrown out for it :argh:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-borg-tactical-cube-138

Welp.

Weeelp.

E:
The missiles are loving scary, no evading them and they just apefuck your action economy and maneuvering choices for a few turns while you try to clear the APTs. Of course, janewayprise user not affected. :smug:

Queen is interesting. It's a big pile of drones, but you'll probably be using them hand over fist for the free actions. Full Attack is finally an attack splitting upgrade that seems really worth taking. Cube itself will be a monster with the ability to stack up AHAs. The crew upgrade is cheap enough to take as a general toolbox guy. Self-destruct is sacrificing your ship for 9-10 unmodified attack dice, not super worth it IMO. Elite talent seems pretty good, but I'd probably rather just give the queen OMUTB and shoot poo poo.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 16, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Trip Report: Tholian Web

Store had a rule that Borg and Species:90210 ships had to be faction pure. I guess everyone assumed noone else would run Borg because of it since noone but me used them. Went 3-0 and got the prize ship running:

Borg Sphere - generic (38)
Borg Captain (3)

Borg Sphere - generic (38)
Borg drone (0)

Hideki Fighters - 20
-----
99 pts

Only real challenge I had was a guy running a combo of Dom Battleship and a stacked super Valdore that tossed out 9 attack dice per round. Lost a Sphere before it could shoot but the remaining sphere and fighters beat down his valdore pretty quick and once he was down to the battleship it was over. The regular 3 point Borg captain is really pretty good. making GBS threads all over cloaked ships combat round 1 is great and its not like tanking your already crappy PS matters. Tons of people lost ships to the web of death. :shrug:

I wanna try running the named Tholian prize ship in a Borg list and see if people are dumb enough to take the bait and ignore the Spheres long enough to get behind their targets without taking damage.
The named Tholian captain has a great ability too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Named Thollian captain works great on Tac drones once you burn one of the tokens.

Here's a fun thing you can do with a sphere/tholian build: You can assimilate your own poo poo, so you can slow play out of your starting area to assimilate the web spinner off your own thollian ship and have a sphere that shits web and has limited turning ability.

Also faction pure doesn't really hurt borg a ton. It keeps them away from battlestation conversion is probably the worst of it, but you still have monster stats, rerolls, assimilation, and the other toys. Once the Queen drops it'll be even more OH NO DON'T MAKE ME PLAY ~FACTION PURE~ as Borg. Really it hampers borg-fighting from among other factions more than it will ever hurt the borg themselves to enforce racial purity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I got the starter box of this as a birthday gift, and then ordered both of the cardassian ships and voyager (I like the SHIP), because I had amazon credit and no one was selling the defiant.

What's the best place to go next jem'hadar attack ship? TOS enterprise (that'll get me kirk right)?
Is this like x-wing where I'll have to buy some duplicate packs purely for cards, if so which ones?
The rulebook says cross-faction play is on a mutually agreed upon basis, but everyone is talking as if they mix often, which is it?

• Locked thread