Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Tokkyuger's robot might not look great to some, but at least it actually gets to have proper fights most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm about a dozen episodes into OOO. I can't get enough of Ankh. So far I've liked the first quarter or so of the show a lot more than I liked the first quarter or so of W. The quality is a lot more consistent.

E: Oh my god Ankh's little hissy fit in episode 13. He is too much. :allears:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

jonjonaug posted:

I'm about a dozen episodes into OOO. I can't get enough of Ankh. So far I've liked the first quarter or so of the show a lot more than I liked the first quarter or so of W. The quality is a lot more consistent.

Most people who fall in love with OOOs fall in love with the side cast (Ankh, Date, ect). It's a really good show, but W is more consistent (Having less bad/slow episodes overall) but Gaim is taking it over as the undisputed king of Hesei era so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jonjonaug posted:

Out of curiosity, is Ankh played by the same actor that played Long in Gekiranger?

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, is Ankh played by the same actor that played Long in Gekiranger?

Nope, but said actor plays a recurring character in KRWizard.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

And like all things in Wizard his character starts off very promising and then rolls over and goes to sleep and the audience is left going...so...do we just keep watching then (no)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rei_ posted:

And like all things in Wizard his character starts off very promising and then rolls over and goes to sleep and the audience is left going...so...do we just keep watching then (no)

I'm about a dozen episodes into Wizard at the moment and while it's not the best Rider series I've seen so far, it doesn't seem that bad either. At what point do things start going off the rails?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Larryb posted:

I'm about a dozen episodes into Wizard at the moment and while it's not the best Rider series I've seen so far, it doesn't seem that bad either. At what point do things start going off the rails?

I'm not sure if there's a specific point, just a tremendous length of episodes that grind on while accomplishing very little very slowly.

Flameingblack posted:

Most people who fall in love with OOOs fall in love with the side cast (Ankh, Date, ect). It's a really good show, but W is more consistent (Having less bad/slow episodes overall) but Gaim is taking it over as the undisputed king of Hesei era so far.

I can't compare W and Gaim. They are good in very different ways.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Larryb posted:

It doesn't go off the rails, per se. It stays on its rails and goes at about 1/4 of the speed limit.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Larryb posted:

It never really goes entirely off the rails, which is the problem. It is bog standard from start to finish with no real twists (the plot changes but only in the ways you would expect it to, post-Decade) and drags on. The two parter format does the show no favors either and the side cast sort of falls away even more than they were at the start of things.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Gonna watch Go-Busters again. Hopefully I'll have a total of how many glasses were tossed. Also keeping track of how many cans J went through.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr Tran posted:

Gonna watch Go-Busters again. Hopefully I'll have a total of how many glasses were tossed. Also keeping track of how many cans J went through.

I seem to remember glasses tossing going away at some point...which is sad. It was a great trope.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

They did the glasses thing at first, but they stopped after about 5 episodes in. No idea why.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Ignis posted:

So if you haven't watched this week's episode of Garo, make sure to do so right now. :getin: This ep was directed by Yudai Yamaguchi, the director for the Cromartie Live Action movie, who's very familiar with the Horror genre. Also watch out for a special cameo of Keita Amemiya, creator of Garo.
Fantastic episode, I had a huge grin on my face through the entire thing. I'm just disappointed Raiga didn't set himself on fire when he found out about the weakness. Amusing fourth wall knocking with the "When are you going to get a movie?" comment too.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Wizard dives in quality once Phoenix dies because you can tell they had no clue how to connect things after that to the endgame they had in mind.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
So far, I've found Garo - Flower of Makai to be more watchable than the third season. I really like the direction they're taking with having someone with Raiga's demeanor starring.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
OK so I just marathoned episodes 13 to 42 of OOO. I think I like this show a lot more than I liked W. From episode 30 onward the quality has been almost as great as everything after Shadow Moon's resurrection in Kamen Rider Black. If it weren't for the way it occasionally still talks down to the audience and the two part structure being super grating (even if OOO is better about it than W there's still a lot of "oh no he got away" and characters just wandering off without anyone attempting to stop them) I would be ranking this above Black and might even have to consider it ranking above Gaim if Gaim maintains its level of quality through to the end.

Gotou's arc in particular has been fairly brilliant. Not letting him transform into Birth until late in the series was a genius move.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I think you and I are the only ones here who like OOO this much.
It's so good.

e: I guess there are three MuskOOOteers

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 4, 2014

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

mikeycp posted:

It's so good.
I love OOO too. It's where I got my avatar and custom text from :)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

mikeycp posted:

It's so good.

e: I guess there are three MuskOOOteers
I loved the cast so much in OOOs which is why I prefer it over W. W had better episodes and better consistency but I just loved the theme, aesthetics, and characters in OOOs a lot more.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

W will always be my favorite because of its incredibly strong cast, awesome detective style, and a story I really liked. OOO's is far from bad though! It is a -very- close second in my opinion. It does have a sort of slow middle and Eiji, while I love him now, isn't nearly as strong a main as Shotaro or Gentaro through some of the early bits. But the side cast, Ankh and Date in particular, shine so much it's hard to care, and Eiji absolutely comes into his own by the end, in my opinion. Plus the villains, while not quite The Museum, are awesome and I like the scrambling for the medals, which I kind of hoped might happen in Gaim too with its ending splashes of Lockseeds, but that's more of a running inventory apparently.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

OOO was great. Really good cast, pretty likable villains, an interesting subversion of the usual "desire is evil" thing, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, a deceptively deep plot, and other stuff. The ending only gets even better.

My main problem with OOO, that stops me from putting it above W on my list, is that incredibly slow middle part. That said, it's what I expect from a Kobayashi series. Near-perfect beginnings and endings, with a middle part that I would skip in a rewatch.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'll admit, I didn't like OOO's. I thought it was too slow and that it kind of disappeared up its own rear end somewhere in the middle of the show, and dropped a LOT of plot threads, but considering the earthquake that happened in the middle of it, it's forgivable.

It also had some of the best characters in any series so far, even to this day I still wish that they'd found a way to keep Cake-boss on board, it would have made Wizard that much better.

Still, OOOs wasn't terrible! It was just 'ok', and when taken with W and Fourze, it just kind of disappeared into the background.

Wizard was still awful though, it had nothing to save it like OOOs did, it was just bleh all the way through.

Fortunately, Gaim brings things back up to par, and beyond.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

jonjonaug posted:

Gotou's arc in particular has been fairly brilliant. Not letting him transform into Birth until late in the series was a genius move.
Whoever makes previews was clearly having fun with this; One of the previews (It's the episode with the owl yummy) shows Gotou holding the belt and I think the tagline even said "Will Gotou become Birth next episode?!" and then he decides not to transform in the following episode. :geno:

OOO is probably my favorite series, just edging out W; One thing I really enjoyed is the amount of thought the writer put into the mechanics behind Greeeds. Each one creates monsters in a different way (And Maki's method fits him perfectly), Greeds power up with more medals to explain away power creep, the animal fusions from mixing medals. The series also has my favorite suit designs out of everything I've watched. All the combo suits look great.

Still, I wouldn't recommend it as a first watch to acquaintances. The strength of the show, as everyone has already mentioned, is in the main cast. The monsters on the other hand tend to be footnotes at times and just cause trouble for the sake of causing trouble, and I think W handles that aspect better with actual people as monsters of the week.

Also, Gaia Memories are basically Devil Fruits and as a power set is more interesting than "Oh, another animal this week?"

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 4, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
OOOs was actually the first Kamen Rider I ever watched, so I'm pretty inclined to like it regardless. It was what was airing when I decided to get into Gokaiger, so I thought I'd give Kamen Rider a shot as well. Since I wasn't familiar with the series conventions at the time, I wasn't quite sure how to approach it, but that dynamic between Eiji and Ankh is probably what kept me watching. It kept things interesting since it wasn't such a simple matter of hero beats up monsters when people like Ankh and Cakeboss were involved, and then there some pretty good role-reversals going on in the final arcs, as well as the different spin on the value of greed. It probably isn't ideal for newcomers, but it was a pretty solid series. I can't really compare it to Double yet since I've barely started on that.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, to retell the story again, OOO was my first series too and I loved it. I believe that W was my second "non-weekly" series (came in right at the end of OOO) and Wizard was the first that I watched as it aired. I still think that OOO at its best (Anhk being petulant) is probably the best Kamen Rider I've seen even if I can admit that W had a higher quality throughout. I suppose the one area I disagree with the thread's consensus is that I hated OOO's final arc. I didn't see the need to bring back Gamel and whats her name, which I thought spoiled the midseason fighting between Uva and Kagali. Also Putotyrano was a pretty obvious "lets wrap this poo poo up" move and I disliked it intensely because of that. W's ending arc was much better on the whole, even if I disliked the last half episode.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Apparently life problems preventing booze sentai from getting released. Imma gonna have a drink anyway.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
FINALLY got my hands on an EngineOh for a decent price. Now begins the real hunt.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I'd watch a Maki/Date spin-off in a heartbeat. OOOs may be easier to binge watch. My wife likes it more than W and didn't find it slow. That may be because she binged watched OOOs whereas I watched it week to week.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
I've found most of the recent Rider shows much easier to binge watch. I usually stop trying to keep current around the mid 20's when the novelty of a new Rider has worn off and I'm reminded of how frustrating the two episode structure is.

Getting rid of that is one of the things that I love about Gaim. Not only am I watching the subs as soon as they come out but I'm watching the livestream because I need to know what happens next.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So ToQ 11 is up.

So the Dark emperor isn't in a suit or even an elaborate getup. It's positively normal for Toku or Sentai standards :monocle: . Also, Grita's on her lonesome now. I thought it was weird that they didn't show her getting on a Shadowliner, but here we are. And so our dainty huge monsterchild is off on her own adventure in the big scary world of light.

For a moment during the episode I was at a loss for where this show was headed and whether we were still on the rails for our standard destination of colorful Sentai antics or hitting a junction where we're on a darker more sinister line. Or completely running off the rails for an eventual crash and burn into a glorious spectacle.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
ToQger decided to do something interesting!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I like Zed already. I wonder where they're going with him though, since his way of thinking is an absolute opposite to the Shadows, and is apparently as good as suicidal for him. Still, he's so drat weird, I love him.

While I know it's not likely to happen, I hope that he'll get his wish for shining down the road, switching sides and becoming ToQ-0. He'll most likely just die though, but hey, first villain in ToQger I actually give a drat about. Schwarz almost managed it, but Zed is the first one that fully did it, and in one ep no less.

Also, Zed?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm really liking what they're starting to do with the Emperor. One of my big complaints about ToQger so far is that the villians, while having bitchin' designs, just aren't as engaging as the Deboss Legion.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
The Deboss Legion and Enter are a hard act to follow though, most villains are closer to sitting and waiting, like the Zangyack Empire and Machine Empire Baranoia.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, I like Zed already. I wonder where they're going with him though, since his way of thinking is an absolute opposite to the Shadows, and is apparently as good as suicidal for him. Still, he's so drat weird, I love him.

While I know it's not likely to happen, I hope that he'll get his wish for shining down the road, switching sides and becoming ToQ-0. He'll most likely just die though, but hey, first villain in ToQger I actually give a drat about. Schwarz almost managed it, but Zed is the first one that fully did it, and in one ep no less.

Also, Zed?

"Zed" means "Z" to anyone learned an English other than American English. Also, this guy's an Emperor. Not a "Lord"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Double Post whatever.

So the /m/ thread had one of the Caucasian extras active and posting as they talked about what they did and how the crew is behind the scenes. It's actually kinda cool to hear some of that stuff.

Sailor Otaku posted:

It's me, yes. It's so weird to see myself on TV. After... what... decades of watching the show, to see myself here is like some kind of out of body experience.

Haha, we're not holding hands. Tom is about two steps in front of me because we were going to have to pass single file in front of the two you see in the front of the camera. The shot is filmed wide-angle, so everything is a lot closer that it looks.

When the scene was shot, they had a person off camera who went "KYA!" and everyone had to react as if there was an explosion and a loud sound.

I actually appear in two other scenes in this episode. After Z says "NO THANK YOU." and the camera cuts back to Right, I walk past in the background with I guess my character's "girlfriend", who is actually a line director with Toei. She fills in roles on camera as needed. In the recent episode of Gaim, she was a scientist who got attacked in Helheim Forest.

You can also see Shinken Brown in a few scenes during the shots where Right is eating and Z is holding the balloon with both hands talking to him. He has a black stocking cap on and a black coat. Tom is in the background again in that shot with a girl in a pink coat.

Sailor Otaku posted:

[Right] side of the screen is Shinken Brown and a friend of his.

A couple of cool behind-the-scenes things about this episode. The jugglers were super talented. There's a guy in the background holding a set of boxes who could keep two connected while he flipped another. Their scene originally went on longer than it did in this episode.

I rode the roller coaster with the cast. In the scene you see, I'm in the back. If you go slow motion, when the coaster comes around, I'm the one in the back who is giving the thumbs up. The way they filmed the on-coaster shots was the absolute cheapest and most hilarious way possible. They took a mini HD cam, like a GoPro looking thing, and they used a roll of duct tape to tape it to the cameraman's hand. There was no SteadyCam or tripod or anything. He held his hand over his shoulder and shot the scene.

It was cold and very windy that day, but we were told that we had to dress like it was springtime. Tokatti has really bad allergies, so between takes, he wore a mask to keep from breathing all the pollen. In the early morning scenes. Mio and Kagura would put on their antistatic coats (which cover their whole bodies and don't mess up their costumes) and when it got cold, they actually hugged each other for warmth. Nothing actually lewd, just like 'IT'S COLD OH GOD'. I remember saying to Tom, "/m/ would say 'Lewd' if they saw that."

Tokatti looks like he is having fun on the parachute ride while Hikari doesn't like it, but in real life, it's the other way around. Hikari was fine with it. Tokatti, on the other hand, looked terrified after the ride. When they called for "Print" after a successful take, the smile just melted from his face. He looked like he wanted out.

Between takes, some of the actors would greet or play with children in character. Very young kids don't seem to recognize the heroes in their civilian outfits, but older kids do. If a kid came up to them between takes, the actors would get into character and greet them.

quote:

We didn't know anything about the actual script content and details as to the storyline were kept secret, I guess to stop people like me and Tom from leaking story details. They referred to Z in the stage directions as "hen na otoko" -- "the strange guy".

For some reason that we still don't know, Tom and I were shut in a small room with glass doors with all of the extras and Right at one point. Right was in the front and we were all behind him. We originally thought it was part of a scene (and it might still be since I guess the next episode will continue this episode's story) but we still don't know why.

The scenes were filmed in reverse order. The day started out sunny and got cloudy, so when you see the scenes on the rides, those were filmed later in the day when it got overcast. The scene with Right eating and running to the merry go round to stop Z was all early morning. The fight scene and encounter with the nobility of the Shadow Line was filmed another day and we weren't there -- that was filmed in Kaihinmakuhari, Chiba Prefecture.

I actually have a story about that place too. Earlier this year, I mentioned how I walked past that place and recognized it and saw a kindergarten there with a middle aged white woman taking care of some children. Well, this time I passed it again because the tokusatsu museum just opened near there. I saw the same people again this time. Last time I was thinking about asking them about filming but I decided not to. This time I did. It turns out the little kids are allowed to watch the show being filmed as long as they stay back from the shooting area (they have explosives and fire and stuff there).

quote:

The episode was filmed on March 18. As I understand it, most every episode is filmed about two to three months before airing. In the recent episode of Gaim where Kouta tells Mai about Yuuya, it's filmed at night, and if you look in the background you can see an illuminated Christmas tree.

When we were waiting in front of the coaster for the shot to get set up, this kid, maybe 6, saw Right and Tokatti talking to the directors and RAN up to them. You could see the change, as they suddenly shifted into character. Tokatti did that silly smile and glasses adjusting thing he does, and they chatted for a little while. The kid had a brother, and he ran back to get his brother and PUSH him over to meet them. I guess brother was shy because he didn't want to go over, so this started a shoving match between the two. Right's actor goes, drops into a crouch, and puts his hands on each one of the kids' shoulders. Tells them not to fight, be friends with your brother. Everyone should get along. They exchange greetings, and grandma, who was there with the kids, bows and thanks them for being so kind. Kagura and Tokatti were playing with little kids between takes also. There's this little fountain where you can put little floating boats and animals in and they float down the stream -- they were doing that with the kids. The other cute thing I saw happen was a pigeon got in the shot one time. Kagura tried to (daintily) nudge it out of the shot with her foot, and the pigeon fluttered away, causing her to go "eek" and recoil. Tokatti and Mio thanked us for coming out after the day's shoot was over. You can say what you want about the quality of TQG so far, but the actors were a class act all the way.

quote:

By the way, you can see me at the very top of this shot giving the thumbs up, though the motion of this coaster makes me look like I watched the evil video from the Ring. This was a pretty intense coaster, by the way. It banks almost 90 degrees. Oh, and you know how they have those photos they take of you on the ride you can buy afterwards? The pictures of the cast were the FUNNIEST THING EVER. Mio was making this :V hurrr face, and Tokatti was leaning forward with his eyes shut tight. They wouldn't let any of us buy the pictures, and they wouldn't let us photo the little preview screens either with our cel phone cameras.

I did notice that between takes, Hikari seemed a bit humorless. I think he probably stays in character between takes. The other actors would smile and make eye contact with people. Hikari would glare or look away disinterestedly. But when he was with the cast and crew, he would cut up and laugh. I don't think he's actually like that, it's probably just staying in his character's mindset so he doesn't goof up during the shots.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

What I feel right now is an intense jealousy.

That is so cool though! If there's one thing I love about Sentai and Riders it's the dedication these actors have to their roles and their fans. It's the best thing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I stopped watching ToQger because I was getting bored. The last episode I watched was the one after the Gaim crossover (I think I'm two or three episodes behind), did the show improve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
No. It hasn't gotten worse either though, it's a flat line so far.

• Locked thread