Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SassafrasGumipants posted:

I'm looking for a new potato masher.

I have this. And it's AMAZING. Throw away mashers, get a ricer, never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I use a beer bottle (empty) to mash potatoes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I use a fork.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sure you can use these unrefined tools for mashing potatoes. You can also make your mayonnaise with a fork and open cans with a church-key.

Cavemen would probably use a stone club to mash. Gentlemen rice.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I need help with a slow cooker, because mine is tiny and ancient. Is it worth it getting one of the digital ones? I want a massive one, and remember a friend used to use a turkey roaster oven as a slow cooker. Has anyone tried that?

Any recommended slow-cooker models?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Meatwave posted:

I need help with a slow cooker, because mine is tiny and ancient. Is it worth it getting one of the digital ones? I want a massive one, and remember a friend used to use a turkey roaster oven as a slow cooker. Has anyone tried that?

Any recommended slow-cooker models?

I dunno about specific models but unless you really want specific time control / cutoffs on top of the regular slow cooker applications, digital is not necessary unless the cost difference is just negligible.

I have an analog kitchenaid one with just a warm / low / high setting range on a dial and it works admirably. I ended up getting a temp controller (thanks NICSA!) from a competition here and that made it even more useful for sous vide applications.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What can I do with kale that is not roasted kale chips or kale salad?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Colcannon for one, but lots more than that.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Throw it in pretty much any chowder.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I have this. And it's AMAZING. Throw away mashers, get a ricer, never look back.

I have a ricer and it's great for mush that behaves like a fluid, but things with a lot of fiber seem to clog and resist.

But I haven tried strawberries in it so maybe I'll test that out tomorrow just out of curiosity.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 4, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I have a ricer and it's great for mush that behaves like a fluid, but things with a lot of fiber seem to clog and resist.

But I haven tried strawberries in it so maybe I'll test that out tomorrow just out of curiosity.

If you ever want to make potato Gnocchi it definitely helps.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scientastic posted:

Does it have a replaceable disc/mesh/whatever? That's the main advantage I see in having a food mill over a most of the ricers I've seen.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Kimchi. The answer is always kimchi.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

My girlfriend has inherited a garden with a ton of horseradish, apparently.
What... what do we do with a ton of horseradish?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm considering making some catfish recipes (Alton Brown's ceviche and soup) pretty soon. Since the catfish is going to be cut into small pieces, should I just buy (the cheaper) catfish nuggets? Or are catfish nuggets inferior in some way besides shape?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Faraday make mohinga. Get the cheap stuff.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

dino. posted:

Faraday make mohinga. Get the cheap stuff.

Link a good, easy Mohinga recipe.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

goodness posted:

Link a good, easy Mohinga recipe.

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/mohinga

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Mohinga is loving delicious.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
A friend of mine promised to bring me a fresh sea bass, so I was thinking about planning a 5 course menu around it. Going full on asian influenced for most of this. Any thoughts?

Spicy Shredded Cabbage Salad with Miso Dressing; Pairing: Gerwuhtz
Asian Style Creamy Corn Soup; No Pairing
Pan roasted Sea Bass with Asparagus on Rutabaga Puree in a thin Miso Broth; Pairing: NZ Sauvignon Blanc
Lychee Panna Cotta; Pairing: Some Dessert Wine? Idk.
Cheese and Nuts with Coffee (with Irish Cream or Red Bull)

I don't know if I should have stick another course in there since the cheese and nuts is kind of a cop out and doesn't really go and I only put it in there because I feel like every formal meal ends with coffee. Not sure what I'd do though? I don't want to do another seafood dish (although scallops are tempting). Maybe a citrus duck confit?

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 5, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My girlfriend left me with some left over radishes that failed to make it into her posole and I was looking for some ideas on what I could do with them. I've never actually used radishes in a dish before so any handling/cooking tips anyone has would be helpful too.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

net work error posted:

My girlfriend left me with some left over radishes that failed to make it into her posole and I was looking for some ideas on what I could do with them. I've never actually used radishes in a dish before so any handling/cooking tips anyone has would be helpful too.

Roast with other root veg, oil, s + p = p. good.

Also braise with whatever.

Pickled radishes own too.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

net work error posted:

Julienne. Add a fair bit of salt. Let sit for five minutes. Wash off salt. Eat in all the things.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rurutia posted:

A friend of mine promised to bring me a fresh sea bass, so I was thinking about planning a 5 course menu around it. Going full on asian influenced for most of this. Any thoughts?

Spicy Shredded Cabbage Salad with Miso Dressing; Pairing: Gerwuhtz
Asian Style Creamy Corn Soup; No Pairing
Pan roasted Sea Bass with Asparagus on Rutabaga Puree in a thin Miso Broth; Pairing: NZ Sauvignon Blanc
Lychee Panna Cotta; Pairing: Some Dessert Wine? Idk.
Cheese and Nuts with Coffee (with Irish Cream or Red Bull)

I don't know if I should have stick another course in there since the cheese and nuts is kind of a cop out and doesn't really go and I only put it in there because I feel like every formal meal ends with coffee. Not sure what I'd do though? I don't want to do another seafood dish (although scallops are tempting). Maybe a citrus duck confit?

You could do a digestif with the panna cotta. Also, I feel like you could use a meat course in there. A duck confit would be nice, or maybe a carpaccio with a light dressing and greens? Small amount of braised short rib?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

net work error posted:

Kimchi. The answer is always kimchi.

Well I guess now the answer is kkakdugi, which is what you call radish kimchi. But if I said kkakdugi you'd probably be all like what the gently caress is that instead of making it which is what you should be doing.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

You could do a digestif with the panna cotta. Also, I feel like you could use a meat course in there. A duck confit would be nice, or maybe a carpaccio with a light dressing and greens? Small amount of braised short rib?

Ooh. Yes, a brandy or bitter liquer would contrast the panna cota nicely.

Thinking about it, I agree with you on the meat choose. I'm not sure my friend will go for raw meat, but I'll have to think about confit vs short rib. The short rib is enticing because the rest of the meal is so light, a bit of heartiness would be nice.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.

net work error posted:

Slice them paper-thin and place on a bit of chewy bread with some good butter. Sprinkle with crunchy salt and go to town.

Alternatively, radishes make excellent fridge pickles. Toss some slivered carrots in there for a do chua kind of thing. Hell yeah.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Is shrimp paste supposed to smell awful?
Like, gag because you almost threw up in the middle of the kitchen just opening the jar awful?

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Like, gag because you almost threw up in the middle of the kitchen just opening the jar awful?

Yes. Depending on the variety, that can be the worst kitchen smell you will ever encounter in your life. It sticks around in your nose for like a day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Yeah pretty much. Little bit goes a long way.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone have any favorite combinations for glazing flank steak fajitas on the grill?

I've got a beautiful flank steak in the puddle at 131 right now for fajitas tonight. Going to toss it on the grill after chilling it down a little bit, and am looking for ideas for a glaze of some sort. Was thinking just a little canola oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Anything else? Maybe a little bit of honey, or would that be too likely to burn really quickly on the super hot grill?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Others will probably have great ideas for a glaze, but all i can say is:
yes, honey will burn quick, so if you want to add that, give them a quick brush a minute before they're done

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Doom Rooster posted:

Anyone have any favorite combinations for glazing flank steak fajitas on the grill?

I've got a beautiful flank steak in the puddle at 131 right now for fajitas tonight. Going to toss it on the grill after chilling it down a little bit, and am looking for ideas for a glaze of some sort. Was thinking just a little canola oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Anything else? Maybe a little bit of honey, or would that be too likely to burn really quickly on the super hot grill?

I usually just do it different every time. Lots of garlic, lime zest, crushed red pepper if you want some heat, cumin.

Tequila? Brown sugar? Soy sauce? Worcestershire? Try it out.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Hey all, longtime lurker checking in. I came up empty on googling, anybody have a good idea for how much culantro should be used in a recipe that calls for cilantro? An equivalence between the two is largely what I'm looking for. All I ever get is, "culantro is like cilantro but stronger". It certainly smells that way, but I don't want to culantro my meal to death.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just taste it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Good advice whenever you're using fresh herbs. Good advice in general, come to that.

Seriously. Tasting what you're cooking and adjusting on the fly instead of just mechanically following a recipe is like the number one thing you can do to improve your cooking when you're first starting out.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions, I was just curious if there was a hard/fast rule for it, in the way dried to fresh herb ratios exist. I basically want to replace all my recipes that have cilantro in them to culantro, because I'm going to be planting an herb garden and I doubt the cilantro plants would survive how much I need to harvest for some of my recipes (space being limited).

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Start with like half the cul vs cil and see if you need to bump it up. Especially in cases where you're growing it yourself, you might end up with varying strengths when compared to the store bought.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Bought your average everyday pork butt to make into delicious carnitas.

Upon cutting it up, the fattier portions smell like a filthy hairy pig rather than your standard inoffensive pork.

It's in date, looks fine, feels fine, and the leaner bits even smell fine. Cook it or pitch it?

Edit: Googling suggested boar taint but everything claimed it was undetectable in raw meat. Y/N?

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 7, 2014

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Heh. Taint. If it smells rotten, pitch it. If it is just a bit gamey, cook it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Probably came from a hog that wasn't cut properly. Testosterone flavor is different from rot flavor - you'd know if it was rot, because it would smell like a nasty wet garbage can left out in the sun for a month, or like a durian.

Cook it, it will be fine.