Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Is Heide actually mentioned anywhere in the game? The area is called Heide's Tower of Flame but I don't recall him every coming up even in the lore. Is it just like Sen's Fortress where the name is a mystery?

Heide's a place, rather than a person. The dudes in white armor that don't do anything are Heide Knights, and their weapons and armor talk about it as the place where the Way of the Blue came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Spiritus Nox posted:

There've been so many times I've been a couple good hits from killing one of those overleveled, overequipped motherfuckers and getting on with my life when another one spawns in behind me and hits me with a spell (whose hit box is like 5 times larger than it should be due to laggy netcode) to instantly kill me. :negative:

Not that it matters, because trying to kill the gargoyles with dual swords is like trying to pull my own teeth with a pair of chopsticks.

I did up to iron keep to get the dull ember before ruined sentinels on my spear guy. So I was cruising with a +6 lightning heide spear while clearing the belfry where I basically stood at the bridge waiting for invaders to open the door. Where I basically poked'em a few times for 80% of their health, I killed so many gray spirits with that spear since no one seems used to dealing with one. And belfry invaders are generally guys without much pvp experience looking for chunks.

I have become the min/max rear end in a top hat :unsmigghh:.

And doing belfry with CoC covenant as a ghetto spell magic build was the worst idea I've ever had. I got it down eventually but christ poor decisions were made on that path.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the actual difference between a casting speed of 100 and one of 125 for a staff? It seems like a fraction of a second.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Boy I sure do love playing World of Soulcraft with these authentic MMORPG drop rates, I said as I Homeward Bone'd out of the chariot track for the 50th time. :shepicide:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the actual difference between a casting speed of 100 and one of 125 for a staff? It seems like a fraction of a second.

I'd love it if someone did a casting speed analysis like how Adapbility/agility got a ton of comparisons. I have the gear for insane casting speed but it's not fashionable at all.

turtlecrunch posted:

Boy I sure do love playing World of Soulcraft with these authentic MMORPG drop rates, I said as I Homeward Bone'd out of the chariot track for the 50th time. :shepicide:

If you're quick about it, quitting in a boss fight plops you off outside the fog door to the boss.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

poptart_fairy posted:

Imagine if a player character with the Knight's shield could summon another, smaller, player. :haw:

Only if the pitch of the voice scales upwards with the smallness of the player.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Matroyshka Knight would be an amazing fight.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

It probably is, but it's pretty noticeable if you use them. I tried out a staff that had a cast of 125 (compared to my usual staff that was at 135) and you could really tell. Plus I know there have been plenty of times in combat where it really did come down to me getting that kill spell out a fraction of a second before I got my head caved in by something, since even as ranged you have to get fairly close to target.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Woof, heading in to NG+ as a sinner in the 140-150 SL range is pretty rough going with the Blue Sentinels, I guess they're owed all those invasions though considering it almost never happened in NG, thinking about just retiring and letting this guy chill in Majula for the rest of his days.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My last cracked red eye orb summoned me to a guy right as he walked through the boss door. :argh:

quote:

It probably is, but it's pretty noticeable if you use them.

I don't know, between the archdrake staff and the staff of amana it's almost negligible when I test with soul spear. It's probably more important in pvp though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

david... posted:

Woof, heading in to NG+ as a sinner in the 140-150 SL range is pretty rough going with the Blue Sentinels, I guess they're owed all those invasions though considering it almost never happened in NG, thinking about just retiring and letting this guy chill in Majula for the rest of his days.

Dying to the sentinels reduces your sin. If you invaded a lot of people and killed all the NPCs this could take a while to work off though.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dying to the sentinels reduces your sin. If you invaded a lot of people and killed all the NPCs this could take a while to work off though.

Oh that's good to know, thanks.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
Do Rat Covenant kills increase your sin? Or is it just NPC kills and invading as a red phantom?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
My will to sunbro is being sapped by every few summons causing a ten minute load then disconnect. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just finished the shrine of amana. Kind of annoying that their soul arrows are longer range than mine, and that mine aim for the ground in front of the casters, and not actually the casters. What was the deal with the singing woman who just disappears right before the boss?

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
Where would be the best place to sunbro with a SM around 770,000 and a SL of 100.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

ninjaiguana posted:

Do Rat Covenant kills increase your sin? Or is it just NPC kills and invading as a red phantom?

You can see your sin level on the second part of the player stats tab, the one you're supposed to take a picture of and go "hey guys, I played a game, look at me". But no, ratbros and bellbros are good people doing good work, it doesn't change anything.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I was able to get the game to run much smoother on my lovely 630M by getting the latest drivers, and then going into Nvidia settings and shutting off the few things that remained on. So if you want to squeeze out some more performance for PVP try that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

delta534 posted:

Where would be the best place to sunbro with a SM around 770,000 and a SL of 100.

You can probably still get smelter demon hits at that range.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I just finished the shrine of amana. Kind of annoying that their soul arrows are longer range than mine, and that mine aim for the ground in front of the casters, and not actually the casters. What was the deal with the singing woman who just disappears right before the boss?

There's an area with a shrine nearby that will reward you for returning all the singing women, I believe she's one of those.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah. 100%ing Dark/Demon's Souls in terms of getting every item really wasn't that bad (aside from Pure Bladestone farming nothing was really grindy, the closest DkS had was Channeler's Trident which isn't anywhere near as bad). But Dark Souls 2 has some items/sets that are just serious bullshit.

I'd like to think they'll do their usual "nerf the truly ridiculous poo poo" patch, especially with regard to Blue Sentinels/Brotherhood of Blood, but who knows.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Does anyone know what the deal was with those guys from the pre-release artwork that had the hockey mask with a tear thing going on? Were they some sort of 'cult of Pharros' thing that got cut? They looked pretty mysterious.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

delta534 posted:

I did the Rotten loads around that level, its quick and easy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What bosses do I have to kill in order to get the dull ember and start infusing stuff?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

keyframe posted:

What is the recommended level of ATT for Clerics? I want to be able to cast my miracles as fast as possible without sacrificing too much of the rest of the stats.

The soft cap on attunement is 50, past that point you don't get more casts near as often, but you can keep going til 94 to max out casts on every spell, including an extra cast on single cast spells. 50 attunement also gives you 95 AGI, making your rolls a good bit better (take your ADP to 10 to hit 100)

Annath posted:

What bosses do I have to kill in order to get the dull ember and start infusing stuff?

It's right before Smelter Demon, on a corpse you have to jump to get.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Does anyone know what the deal was with those guys from the pre-release artwork that had the hockey mask with a tear thing going on? Were they some sort of 'cult of Pharros' thing that got cut? They looked pretty mysterious.

Supposedly those became the Manikins. If true, this is the mask they went with.

Annath posted:

You have to get to Iron Keep. Meaning you'll need to, at bare minimum, kill: Dragonrider, Skeleton Lords, Covetous Demon, and Mytha.

e: That's just to get the Ember. Getting to the guy who lets you infuse stuff will require you to kill Flexile Sentry, Ruin Sentinels, and the Gargoyles then get a key after them. The Wiki says you can get into his workshop without a key which would mean you don't have to do Ruin Sentinels/Gargoyles, but I've never personally used that method.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 4, 2014

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm asking what is the bare minimum it takes to get there.

What can I skip and come back to.

E: thanks!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, the Shrine of Anime kinda blows. It's not really the dumb wizards that bother me so much as the lizardmen that half the time only show up if you happen to click the right stick in the right place at the right time and pop up the moment you try to fight those obnoxious mace dudes.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Umberger posted:

The Wiki says you can get into his workshop without a key which would mean you don't have to do Ruin Sentinels/Gargoyles, but I've never personally used that method.[/spoiler]

You can just come in from the Pursuer bird ride and firebomb the wall.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Umberger posted:

I've seen people complaining about the manikin masks looking lovely compared to the trailers, but I think that was the point. Those masks looked hella anime in that trailer, and would've been really out of place in this game.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Umberger posted:

You know, that's a real shame, because those manikins would have been a lot cooler WITH heads and the other masks. The one in the game is just...well, the other mask would have been better.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Annath posted:

The minimum would be busting through Heide and the wharf, then going to the path switch area and going through the skeleton lords and the earthen peak bosses. 5 bosses total.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Annath posted:

Bare minimum would be something like Dragonrider / Skeleton Lords / Covetous Demon / Myrtha, I think.

^^^ wharf? I think Licia will move before you go through the wharf...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Annath posted:

Absolute minimum you have to kill to get the dull ember and bring it to McDuff:

Dragonrider, Flexile Sentry, Skeleton Lords, Covetous Demon, Mytha.

You do not need to kill the Ruin Sentinels!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Invaded as an arbiter in Forest of Fallen Giants and ended up in Black Gulch where a naked pink-haired woman was just entering The Rotten's room.

I'm pretty sure I stumbled into someone playing out some sick fantasy of theirs.

E:

Also wood carvings never stop being entertaining.

E2:

Twice now I've ended up invading the same guy just as he was clearing the salamander pit. The first time he was just about to finish off the last one when I killed him.

I'd feel guilty but if you ain't burning effigies and you're a sinner, you get what's coming for you. :colbert:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 4, 2014

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

buzzsaw.gif posted:

You could go Wharf or Last Giant+Pursuer to get to Lost Bastille, but you have to do one or the other.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Bare minimum would be something like Dragonrider / Skeleton Lords / Covetous Demon / Myrtha, I think.

That list includes getting to the bastille

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Umberger posted:

Yeah. 100%ing Dark/Demon's Souls in terms of getting every item really wasn't that bad (aside from Pure Bladestone farming nothing was really grindy, the closest DkS had was Channeler's Trident which isn't anywhere near as bad). But Dark Souls 2 has some items/sets that are just serious bullshit.

I'd like to think they'll do their usual "nerf the truly ridiculous poo poo" patch, especially with regard to Blue Sentinels/Brotherhood of Blood, but who knows.

You're a crazy person, Demon's Souls was by far the worst of the series for getting poo poo. gently caress those stupid limited spawn gekkos that could kill themselves and then probably not drop what you needed anyway. Even getting shards was an awful grind. You don't even have to get any piece of equipment in Dark Souls 2, so it's automatically better than the last two.

I still get mad at that game just thinking about the grind it took to upgrade poo poo.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Man I wish I'd known about the bellbro exclusive spell before I'd gotten to 2.6m soul memory. I also wish that the game would not spawn you directly in front of the enemy so he can immediately stunlock you.

I mean don't get me wrong, bellcops is just some straight up 2v1 bullshit, but being killed immediately upon spawning isn't much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

is multiplayer / Steam community being unreliable for anyone else? summon signs coming and going, soap greying out, bleh