Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

IBentMyWookie posted:

Let's get back to reality here. The only world class team in NA is C9 atm. There are no better supports to be had. Maybe Regi can buy a support with a better "attitude". As much as I dislike Curse management they honestly made a great decision and weakened TSM for a chance at finishing higher than 4th. Honestly chances of TSM finishing top 3 are also up in the air. 40% of your team is going to be new players to NALCS there really are no guarantees on how that's going to work out.

You're telling me Curse have higher chances of making it to worlds with Xpecial than TSM with even a weaker support, or possibly even a better one because they can probably import from anywhere?

Riiight.

Thing is i really doubt Curse is paying Xpecial that much more than Regi was so again i wonder if Xpecial being a new member would have meant lower base salary or some poo poo.

edit: apparently only 2 out of the 8 NA LCS junglers are actually from NA (meteos and iwd) rest are all foreign D:

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

A cool drat horse posted:

Yeah, hopefully TSM pick up someone decent- according to Dyrus, from what he saw Turtle and Xpecial didn't seem to get along particularly well and didn't have much botlane synergy. It really sounds like there were problems much bigger than just having a lovely attitude, so I guess it was probably best for him to go. They must have put up with this problem for a really long time all things considered, and if it wasn't fixed by the end of the Season 4 spring split, I doubt it ever will. This isn't going to change Curse's standings, Bunnyfufu wasn't a liability by any means.

How much do you hate TSM if you think losing their toxic support (while also picking up a world class jungler) is going to somehow bring them out of the top 3?

I don't hate TSM I love seeing them get wrecked though. I admit it. Toxic is a bit too strong for Xpecial who comes off as just a harmless dweeb. TSM went from having a 50~% win percentage with Regi to a 75~% win percentage without him. I don't believe them when they say Xpecial being a douche was a big problem. They have just convinced themselves of that. Xpecial doesn't seem to rage he just says catty poo poo and blames people in a soft nerd voice. If those babies can't handle it then how the gently caress do they handle Regi who is way more passive aggressive and will not let poo poo drop.

It's funny you're so sure about Curse's standings. Bunnyfufu is in highschool so maybe he wasn't very assertive or had much impact on teamplay due to his age. Xpecial might bring a lot of intangibles to the table that will make things different in a good or bad way. Changing one person on a team could make a huge difference. I mean it is a game of only 5 people any one of those people can make huge impacts on performance.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There is almost no question TSM is dumb as gently caress for doing this. Although if Xpecial is actually so passive aggressive that he'd go to a poo poo team just to spite Regi, it's just funny all around.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

uaciaut posted:

You're telling me Curse have higher chances of making it to worlds with Xpecial than TSM with even a weaker support, or possibly even a better one because they can probably import from anywhere?

Riiight.

Thing is i really doubt Curse is paying Xpecial that much more than Regi was so again i wonder if Xpecial being a new member would have meant lower base salary or some poo poo.

No I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying they're all fighting for scraps. C9 is THE only world class team in NA and will probably remain so till the other teams stop being such poo poo. CLG wins most improved but they still are not world class.

You can't even name a better support that TSM could pick up right now. So...

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

IBentMyWookie posted:

I don't believe them when they say Xpecial being a douche was a big problem. They have just convinced themselves of that.

Remember when you were arguing against five different people for three pages straight about something like this, until everyone got bored of you? Could we maybe skip that this time?

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Ihki posted:

Remember when you were arguing against five different people for three pages straight about something like this, until everyone got bored of you? Could we maybe skip that this time?

Sure. I have them on ignore anyways.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

IBentMyWookie posted:

Toxic is a bit too strong for Xpecial who comes off as just a harmless dweeb.

You have no idea what was going on in scrims or in comms or anything like that.

IBentMyWookie posted:

TSM went from having a 50~% win percentage with Regi to a 75~% win percentage without him.

Yes, because Bjergsen is a world class midlaner and Regi is not, and Regi playing + managing was pretty stressful, I assume, leading to be more of an rear end in a top hat.

IBentMyWookie posted:

I don't believe them when they say Xpecial being a douche was a big problem. They have just convinced themselves of that. Xpecial doesn't seem to rage he just says catty poo poo and blames people in a soft nerd voice. If those babies can't handle it then how the gently caress do they handle Regi who is way more passive aggressive and will not let poo poo drop.

"I don't believe that they know what they're talking about, because I'm a manager at Wal-Mart. Therefore, I am right and they are wrong."

IBentMyWookie posted:

It's funny you're so sure about Curse's standings. Bunnyfufu is in highschool so maybe he wasn't very assertive or had much impact on teamplay due to his age. Xpecial might bring a lot of intangibles to the table that will make things different in a good or bad way. Changing one person on a team could make a huge difference. I mean it is a game of only 5 people any one of those people can make huge impacts on performance.

Xpecial's "intangibles" might have made TSM a worse team than they would be with a similarly/slightly worse skilled support! In fact, this is the reason given for him being removed from TSM!

You are literally a worse poster than uacuacuiacyaucyauycuayut.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

IBentMyWookie posted:

Sure. I have them on ignore anyways.

You must have an awful lot of people on ignore then. You seriously have no idea what you're talking about outside of a bizarre hatred for a league of legends esports team and I kind of think you keep posting just to spite people who think you're insufferable.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

A cool drat horse posted:

You must have an awful lot of people on ignore then. You seriously have no idea what you're talking about outside of a bizarre hatred for a league of legends esports team.

TSM benching Xpecial did turn out dumb. My guess would be they fall out of top 2 this next split because of this move.

This is probably Xpecial's last season in pro. I don't think I'm saying a lot of outrageous poo poo. All I've said is that this TSM Xpecial benching was dumb and could backfire.

IBentMyWookie fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 4, 2014

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

IBentMyWookie posted:

TSM benching Xpecial did turn out dumb.

Based on?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

He's from the future!!!

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
It's great when we have people talking about the performance of transfers and roster changes when the summer split hasn't even started yet!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

IBentMyWookie posted:

TSM benching Xpecial did turn out dumb. My guess would be they fall out of top 2 this next split because of this move.

This is probably Xpecial's last season in pro. I don't think I'm saying a lot of outrageous poo poo. All I've said is that this TSM Xpecial benching was dumb and could backfire.

They picked up what is probably the best jungler in EU (Amazing) and lost Xsmithie. It's probably a wash as to how much they've improved. They might not be overall stronger but I really doubt they're going to fall out of the top 2 (with CLG/LMQ probably dogfighting over third place). Honestly, I'd say that's a win for TSM just based on ideas of positional scarcity. There are a good number of decent supports that TSM could train into being insanely good, but being able to pick up a bona-fied proven ace jungler probably outweighs losing a great but potentially attitude-ridden support.

Also please stop posting.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

It's great when we have people talking about the performance of transfers and roster changes when the summer split hasn't even started yet!

Are you saying you've never prognosticated in sports? Or are you just being passive aggressive?

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Jerkface posted:

He's from the future!!!
i was going to post basically these two things but thanks for taking care of that for me!

also the term "world class" is really sort of funny/interesting right now. Kind of depends on what you mean by world class since there's basically Korea and everyone else. Lots of people are competitive internationally in that everyone else category. I'm not even really sure how to measure it really, but when a mid-tier OGN team rolls into the latest international event and never really comes close to even dropping one game, it's hard to measure how bjergsen or xpecial or any of them would actually fare against the Korean overlords.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

IBentMyWookie posted:

Are you saying you've never prognosticated in sports? Or are you just being passive aggressive?

You literally said the decision turned out dumb when the team hasn't played a LCS game yet.

There's a difference between saying something like "I think this trade will result in the team performing worse" and "This trade resulted in the team performing worse".

Generally when you make a prediction you preface it as such rather than speaking about it like the prediction is already true! Sports is not one of those things where everything on paper works out to be true. One of the best things is that unexpected things can happen and nothing is for certain!

If you meant to say that benching Xpecial resulted in him leaving, and you think that was a dumb decision then sure. But its not a foregone conclusion yet.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Looks like Gleeblarbu is the official support for TSM
http://www.newsoflegends.com/index.php/gleebglarbu-new-support-for-tsm-xpecial-joins-curse-17987/

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

"The team was unanimous in their decision to pick Gleebglarbu. The tryouts for a new support included both him and Xpecial, after which Reginald went to Curse to trade Xpecial."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Having a morale-killer on the team can really affect performance, and TSM was struggling a lot at the end of the split. They were still winning games but they didn't look nearly as strong as they did earlier on.

I am a little disappointed because I don't think anyone is going to be as good as Xpecial.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

spacebrospiff posted:

"The team was unanimous in their decision to pick Gleebglarbu. The tryouts for a new support included both him and Xpecial, after which Reginald went to Curse to trade Xpecial."
The notion that Xpecial was included in the "tryouts" is hilarious. Seems like after 3 years, they should be familiar with Xpecial's play!

It's funny when organizations don't have professional PR firms writing all their poo poo. I'm sure all of these crazy shenanigans all happen in pro sports too, but by the time we hear about it it's a polished speech giving some vanilla reason for why it didn't work out. Here we get house drama and "uhh we want to get rid of you, but since straight up cutting you sounds rude, we'll bench you, let you try out, and then go with the guy we wanted to begin with."

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Gleebglarbu is a cool guy with a great attitude - he's a decent support too. I'm not sure if he's quite Xpecial quality (yet) but I'm happy for him to get a break.

Sadly he'll probably get a lot of hate for a bit and he might have a rough early period. Not sure how it'll be from there though.

I think importantly if Gleeb can help them in game with rotations and overall map movement it should patch up TSM's big weakness in the playoffs. If I was TSM thats the kind of thing I would want in a support, someone with a strategic mind.

e: https://imgur.com/vk7IEES Dyrus on Xpecial/Turtle synergy

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 4, 2014

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Until NA/EU can convincingly take titles on the world stage this stuff all ends up feeling a bit like rearranging deck chairs on the titanic

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

You literally said the decision turned out dumb when the team hasn't played a LCS game yet.

There's a difference between saying something like "I think this trade will result in the team performing worse" and "This trade resulted in the team performing worse".

Generally when you make a prediction you preface it as such rather than speaking about it like the prediction is already true! Sports is not one of those things where everything on paper works out to be true. One of the best things is that unexpected things can happen and nothing is for certain!

If you meant to say that benching Xpecial resulted in him leaving, and you think that was a dumb decision then sure. But its not a foregone conclusion yet.

People make calls pre-season on roster changes all the time. If you want to fence sit that's your call. If I'm wrong then so be it. Look at all the other roster change predictions that have been made by people already. People are saying Gambit is screwed. They haven't played a game yet.

Unless you have aspergers I'm obviously making a prediction. You're literally arguing over me saying "This is dumb", versus what you think I should say which is "This may be dumb." Please put me on ignore.

IBentMyWookie fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 4, 2014

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

stiknork posted:

Until NA/EU can convincingly take titles on the world stage this stuff all ends up feeling a bit like rearranging deck chairs on the titanic

I think your being a little dramatic.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

mistaya posted:

Having a morale-killer on the team can really affect performance...

This is what I took away from this news. If Xspecial was really bringing the team down by way of being negative or not improving, then getting rid of him was what was in the best interests of the team. Hell, anyone who has played a goonman/goonscrim with someone toxic knows that they are typically the ones that decide the outcome of a game. It's entirely unreasonable for a team, that is either playing competitively or professionally, to put up with that kind of toxicity.

If TSM, as an organization, had kept Xspecial on because they were bro's, they'd be no better than XDG keeping Zuna. It's sad to see Xspecial leave, especially after Oddone stepped down, but it's hard to fault TSM (and Regi, as their owner/coach/manager) for making the move.

stiknork posted:

Also, this.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

quote:

“After deciding on Gleeb as TSM’s new support, my one goal was to find a good home for Xpecial. I chose Curse because I believe Xpecial is an invaluable player and will make Curse stronger.” - Reginald

:lol:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So what happened to Goldenglue in DIG? he got benched?

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Xpecial probably does make Curse better and Curse probably has money that Regi wanted.

What other LCS team would have picked up Xpecial? Not C9, CLG, or DIG. EG was probably the only other option.

Flipswitch posted:

So what happened to Goldenglue in DIG? he got benched?
Benched for Shiptur.

Also, C9 longest running roster in NA.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 4, 2014

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

spacebrospiff posted:

Ahaha that is some spiteful poo poo. Reginald the Don.

Looking forward to TSM getting knocked down to 4th by an empowered CLG and everyone's new favorite American team, LMQ.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Allaniis posted:

Benched for Shiptur.
Rough, he played like, what, four games?

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

Ahaha that is some spiteful poo poo. Reginald the Don.

Looking forward to TSM getting knocked down to 4th by an empowered CLG and everyone's new favorite American team, LMQ.
Would be pretty hilarious if Curse beats TSM in the final game of summer split to get 4th place. Hopefully, on a crazy Xpecial play on Glee.

Flipswitch posted:

Rough, he played like, what, four games?
Well, Shiptur is better. It's good to see teams be so ruthless to get better.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 4, 2014

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

IBentMyWookie posted:

People make calls pre-season on roster changes all the time. If you want to fence sit that's your call. If I'm wrong then so be it. Look at all the other roster change predictions that have been made by people already. People are saying Gambit is screwed. They haven't played a game yet.

Unless you have aspergers I'm obviously making a prediction. You're literally arguing over me saying "This is dumb", versus what you think I should say which is "This may be dumb." Please put me on ignore.

Actually you said "It did turn out dumb" which is somewhat different. If you're going to make your predictions sound like some sort of confirmation then people might think you are claiming as such. But whatever, its not important.

That said I agree it's got a good chance of backfiring on TSM- Gleeb may have a lot of synergy with Turtle but I think they're in for some rocky starts and it will come down to how much Gleeb can improve in the TSM environment.

I was hoping curse would get dumpstered and left behind but TSM throwing them a bone with Xpecial is killing my dream.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 4, 2014

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013
I was excited about TSM with Amazing replacing OddOne, but with Gleebglarbu joining the support role I'm not so sure anymore. From what I've seen he's incredibly average, but more importantly, I don't think it's a good idea to recruit 2 new players at once. They'll have to rebuild their communication, synergy and trust from scratch and somehow find a playstyle that works for them. Meanwhile, CLG recruits a top laner that barely speaks english and is almost completely untested on LAN. All these roster changes is very good news for LMQ fans though, as they suddenly have a much higher chance of doing well.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Actually you said "It did turn out dumb" which is somewhat different. If you're going to make your predictions sound like some sort of confirmation then people might think you are claiming as such. But whatever, its not important.

It isn't important. But for clarification I meant the whole move of benching Xpecial and holding tryouts for "attitude". That turned out dumb as Regi should've just kicked him instead of playing all these games. As if tryouts after a couple of weeks can show if Xpecial improved his personality. Once they said it was his attitude they should've just kicked him instead of trying to justify it like this. Funny as hell though.

Sorry if I wasn't being clear. I am predicting though that TSM probably finishes bottom 3 or maybe even fourth. I like LMQ and think they have a really good shot of making Top 3. I'd love to see a Dignicoast and TSM relegation playoff.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The most telling thing is that the players each individually picked Gleeb instead of Xpecial. Dyrus is 100% on the money when he says that bot lane needs to synergize to do well, and Xpecial is notorious for being a huge passive-aggressive baby who can Thresh and Leona pretty well.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

IBentMyWookie posted:

It isn't important. But for clarification I meant the whole move of benching Xpecial and holding tryouts for "attitude". That turned out dumb as Regi should've just kicked him instead of playing all these games. As if tryouts after a couple of weeks can show if Xpecial improved his personality. Once they said it was his attitude they should've just kicked him instead of trying to justify it like this. Funny as hell though.

Sorry if I wasn't being clear. I am predicting though that TSM probably finishes bottom 3 or maybe even fourth. I like LMQ and think they have a really good shot of making Top 3. I'd love to see a Dignicoast and TSM relegation playoff.

If you're predicting Dig and TSM in 5th+ place who are you predicting in the t4 other than CLG, C9, and LMQ?

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

If you're predicting Dig and TSM in 5th+ place who are you predicting in the t4 other than CLG, C9, and LMQ?

My new top 3 are C9, CLG and LMQ. I see those teams really cutting out TSM and scrimming together to improve. 4/5th is a toss up between Dignicoast and TSM.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

IBentMyWookie posted:

Given Xpecial's long tenure as a TSM player and the number of fans he has I think Reginald wanted to give him a chance to turn around, hoping that the threat of removal would spark something in him. But since that he's been there so long it'd probably be hard for anything real to change and so it might have been a waste of time.

The tryout also might have really been about comparing the downside of losing a better mechanical player to the upside of getting a player that synergizes better as well.

But to offer an alternate opinion - TSM is now stacked with mechanically strong players in 3-4 positions, and great playmakers in both jungle and mid. I think they can get away with and might even benefit from a support that will add more to the rest of the team on fronts that TSM has historically suffered from. Like if TSM could get Lemon and his notebook they would benefit hugely, even if he played worse than Xpecial did. Not to say Gleeb is Lemon (he certainly isn't) but he might offer more strategic insight.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jonny Angel posted:

So with that, the original roster of TSM (RainMan, OddOne, Reginald, Chaox, Xpecial) is officially all gone.

I'm pretty sure the original TSM roster is this hilarious mishmash of names that includes SaintVicious and Locodoco just off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debonhare
Jan 15, 2004
I like rice.
It'll be interesting to see how TSM does. Regi is right that "the best players do not make the best team" but I think it's ironic coming from them. TSM has never been about strong strategies or innovation. They just straight up play the meta champions, beat people in lane, and snowball because they have really good players. Much like the situation with Dig, I don't think replacing Xpecial and OddOne does a lot of good for them.

I see nothing good coming from Curse Xpecial. It's like Edward all over again, honestly.

• Locked thread