Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The_Franz posted:

MSVC didn't support that particular C99 behavior until VS2013.

Yeah, we switched to using /TP eventually, as I recall, and then renamed things to .cpp incrementally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, MSVC and some lovely off-brand Unix one (Sun Studio?) were the compilers that kept Firefox C and C++ in the dark ages for a long time; I don't think it was OK to have intermingled variable declarations in C files until...2007?

I remember the sun compiler as being really terrible and a thing you should never use if you had gcc available, but I don't think I used any sun after like 2004.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fritz posted:

I remember the sun compiler as being really terrible and a thing you should never use if you had gcc available, but I don't think I used any sun after like 2004.

Sun shipped our software, and of COURSE they built it with their terrible bullshit, so I made the bad decision to care about it for too long.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

pseudorandom name posted:

Microsoft has publicly stated that they will not support any C features that don't naturally fall out of their C++ implementation.

That was true for about a decade, but 2013 has a bunch of C99 stuff not part of C++. The fact that they specifically announced that 2013 could build FFmpeg unpatched made some people suspect that c99-to-c89 embarrassed them into doing it (or perhaps just proved that yes, people do care about C99).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Still not holding out for SunCC.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

This is handling what animation the player character has during his various states of running and jumping. It evolved naturally, and I pray to god I don't have to ever add anything to that again.

//Player Animation
if (player.height != 8)
{
if (player.touching == FlxObject.FLOOR) // if you touch the ground
{
if (player.velocity.x > 0) // and have positive speed
{
if (FlxG.keys.D) // and are pressing D
{
player.play("run"); // you run
}
else // if you have positive speed and touch the floor
{
player.play("stop"); //you play the stop animation
}
}
else // if you touch the ground and have 0 or negative speed
{
player.play("stand"); // you stand
}
}
else if (player.velocity.y < 0) // if you have negative vertical velocity
{
player.play("jumpup"); // you jump up
}
else // if you don't touch the ground
{
player.play("jump"); // you jump
}
}
else // if you're not not 8 in height
{
player.play("slide"); //you slide
}

e: I actually found a redundant "else if" by posting this here. yea!

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 4, 2014

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

"Who the f*heck is Tadayoshi Funaba and why can he reject sensible patches unilaterally?"

Great people skills on display in that thread.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

(Of course, the [1] at the bottom of the post links to his contribution page)

:rolleyes:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

This model is clearly wrong. The most successful projects out there
(e.g. Linux, Git) do not have maintainers making decisions
unilaterally, but rather discussion and consensus are more important
than authority.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The claim that Linux doesn't have maintainers making unilateral decisions is pretty adorable.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jewel posted:

(Of course, the [1] at the bottom of the post links to his contribution page)

:rolleyes:

It's almost like projects headed up by Linus Torvalds tend to accept patches from dickbags and have histories of dickbag behavior!

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Almost.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Felipe Contreras is a colossal jackass on the Git mailing list too, and I think Linus ignores him on various Linux lists.

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/236109

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
He takes his last name to heart, I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's almost like projects headed up by Linus Torvalds tend to accept patches from dickbags and have histories of dickbag behavior!

If I ever saw Al Viro disagree politely with someone, I'd probably submit it to drat You Autocorrect.

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

The community around Ruby is the reason I never got around to bothering with it. I'm not particularly fond of the language itself, but the way the community acts makes me steer FAR away from it unless I'm forced to use it. The fact that nearly all of the projects I've tried to use that was written in Ruby fails horribly also plays a part in that...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

God of Mischief posted:

The community around Ruby is the reason I never got around to bothering with it. I'm not particularly fond of the language itself, but the way the community acts makes me steer FAR away from it unless I'm forced to use it. The fact that nearly all of the projects I've tried to use that was written in Ruby fails horribly also plays a part in that...

How do you read that thread and come away with the conclusion that the Ruby community sucks?

Also do you mean the core team or people who write gems? The latter tends to seem more objectionable than the former from my backseat position.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

God of Mischief posted:

You didn't try ruby because they act cordial, even in the face of someone who acts like a complete jerk?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Speaking as an open source code owner, we do frequently get our heads stuck up own own asses. The bug/patch submitter seems right on the technical merits: these format strings have an accepted meaning, albeit as an extension beyond POSIX, and Ruby accepts them generally, and this one Ruby library is getting their semantics wrong; absent a permanent bug-for-bug compatibility guarantee, that should be good enough.

But this dude is also clearly a jerk, and that gives the code owner a lot of cover to be wrong behind.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

pokeyman posted:

How do you read that thread and come away with the conclusion that the Ruby community sucks?
There's a lot of people who dismiss the language based on vague received knowledge and anything negative they hear is implicit reinforcement of that belief. That's not to say there aren't reasons to avoid Ruby, just that it's sort of a typical "ha, I knew I was right to ignore that!" response.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Also do you mean the core team or people who write gems? The latter tends to seem more objectionable than the former from my backseat position.

I'd certainly be irritated if I'd go "Here's the cure for AIDS motherfuckers!", to which I'd get the reply: "You used a bad word, you arrogant poopoohead! You are now wrong!" - and that's what I currently get from this discussion, not being in Ruby community myself: be polite, or we won't accept your code (also we want to be japanese). From what I see, at least two of them are *leaders* of the language.

On the other hand, he's pretty arrogant and inward-looking, and clearly (:byodame:) right (some of my academics were like that), so I hope that some of these people are just screwing with him.

I guess people sometimes are too protective of their code and Ruby guys seem to accept this in this case (well, this Japanese guy that created this clearly cannot be wrong, and we don't want to anger him, because he will leave the project, oh no!).

Come on Felipe, create your own Ruby, with booze, and hookers!

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Seriously the dude has all the trappings of an blisteringly blunt know-it-all except for knowing it all.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Well maybe if Ruby weren't such a racist language it wouldn't attract racist arguments.

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

pokeyman posted:

The people who write gems. I don't deal with the language enough to have any opinions on the core team and how they handle things. And my opinion does not come purely from that thread. It has just been my experience every time I do look at the language, something drives me away, and it is usually something about the community that does it.

Strong Sauce posted:

You didn't try ruby because they act cordial, even in the face of someone who acts like a complete jerk?

I find both sides to be acting like children in this specific argument. Neither side can articulately explain to the other what is going on. One jerk tried submitting a patch, gets shut down immediately by someone he doesn't know, and asks (in a vulgar way) why. He gets told he has a potty mouth and should fork the language. Yeah, reasonable option.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why is it unreasonable to fork the language? Forking things is the best part of open source. Be good or be forked, as the saying goes. And plenty of companies already maintain forks of Ruby, be they commercial (as REE was) or for their private use.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
People often get the Ruby community and the Rails community mixed up. The Rails community is full of people like David "omakase" Hansson, while the Ruby community is lead by matz, who is the most courteous and kind person ever.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Is Ruby even used for anything other than Rails, and tools to scaffold Rails servers?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

eithedog posted:

I'd certainly be irritated if I'd go "Here's the cure for AIDS motherfuckers!", to which I'd get the reply: "You used a bad word, you arrogant poopoohead! You are now wrong!" - and that's what I currently get from this discussion, not being in Ruby community myself: be polite, or we won't accept your code (also we want to be japanese). From what I see, at least two of them are *leaders* of the language.

On the other hand, he's pretty arrogant and inward-looking, and clearly (:byodame:) right (some of my academics were like that), so I hope that some of these people are just screwing with him.

I guess people sometimes are too protective of their code and Ruby guys seem to accept this in this case (well, this Japanese guy that created this clearly cannot be wrong, and we don't want to anger him, because he will leave the project, oh no!).

Come on Felipe, create your own Ruby, with booze, and hookers!

its not the cure for AIDS though; its a patch to change how a bit of datetime works that is not breaking much of anything. people rarely want to work with the dude who creates so much negativity all of the time unless there is literally no other way to do so. I like when he said something like "Yeah I'm an rear end in a top hat and it gets results" and sure it does, but he will literally never move beyond his current level of work that way.

also, who do you think is more important to ruby: the drive by pull requester who spews poo poo the moment things aren't going their way or the dude who has written significant portions of what is generally a pretty tricky subject for your project?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

more like dICK posted:

Is Ruby even used for anything other than Rails, and tools to scaffold Rails servers?

Yes.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

People often get the Ruby community and the Rails community mixed up. The Rails community is full of people like David "omakase" Hansson, while the Ruby community is lead by matz, who is the most courteous and kind person ever.

The first time I can remember hearing about ruby was in this context: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/CouchDB_talk

canis minor
May 4, 2011

FamDav posted:

its not the cure for AIDS though; its a patch to change how a bit of datetime works that is not breaking much of anything. people rarely want to work with the dude who creates so much negativity all of the time unless there is literally no other way to do so. I like when he said something like "Yeah I'm an rear end in a top hat and it gets results" and sure it does, but he will literally never move beyond his current level of work that way.

also, who do you think is more important to ruby: the drive by pull requester who spews poo poo the moment things aren't going their way or the dude who has written significant portions of what is generally a pretty tricky subject for your project?

From what I've read through it 1) does not parse git time, 2) produces contrary to expected behavior comparing to the same call from glibc (?)

I'd think that it's the people responsible for project, not a person - as such if the code in some part doesn't adhere to standard and the main maintainer opposes the change without really a reason... well, then it would get me thinking if it's indeed communal project and what really is the point of making changes if they can be arbitrarily revoked. As I said - everyone makes mistakes, so while there shouldn't be a need for diplomacy, they're ending with a situation that original author is being a dick, community adheres to that and makes them look hm... don't know, inviting isn't certainly the word I'd ever use. To resolve the commit situation I'd still expect a peer review, not an arbitrarily decision; bear in mind that it comes from my idealistic point of view where everyone is happily riding on fluffy clouds, as I don't partake in any open source group project (different matter when it comes to work, but that's not here nor there).

As for negativity - from what I've read he started throwing fucks around when he's gotten a response in Japanese to "not come back again" (I don't know about his behavior in other git projects / commits, I'm barely observing what's happening in that thread, and I don't really know if I care enough to go read through it; well, I barely care about this). Probably I'd act similarly.

Hm - I'd probably try to go back to original author to discuss this, if the given solution is indeed worthwhile. If the author would still give me response "no", without real explanation hm... I guess then I'd make everyone unhappy and decide on creating a switch that makes this function ugly and corrects its behavior. Nobody wins! (but yes, I'd have to side with the original maintainer)

canis minor fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 4, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

matz, who is the most courteous and kind person ever.

That's my takeaway from that thread. He cheerfully translates the bug report response into English, warmly but firmly backs up his DateTime maintainer of ten+ years, and politely explains which arguments are likely to be convincing and which ones aren't. Without even once suggesting that the douche go gently caress himself (or, synonymously, go fork the language).

What a champ.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Suspicious Dish posted:

matz on diversity "let em eat rails girls"

https://twitter.com/yukihiro_matz/status/380394450746216448

"@rubyconf is not a tool to solve our social problem. If the program has no explicit discrimination, let it be. We have RailsGirls instead."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's extremely disappointing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Haha, and someone actually called this guy a champ.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

eithedog posted:

As for negativity - from what I've read he started throwing fucks around when he's gotten a response in Japanese to "not come back again" (I don't know about his behavior in other git projects / commits, I'm barely observing what's happening in that thread, and I don't really know if I care enough to go read through it; well, I barely care about this). Probably I'd act similarly.

It looks like that's par for the course for this guy tho:

Lysidas posted:

Felipe Contreras is a colossal jackass on the Git mailing list too, and I think Linus ignores him on various Linux lists.

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/236109

I wouldn't want to work with the dude either.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

Haha, and someone actually called this guy a champ.

You forgot to add "when he's dealing with abusive patch submitters". His attitude towards social problems in his community looks to be pretty lovely.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
It's almost like someone can have good social skills while simultaneously holding views that are entirely (if regrettably) typical of the society he lives in.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

eithedog posted:

From what I've read through it 1) does not parse git time, 2) produces contrary to expected behavior comparing to the same call from glibc (?)
It implements the POSIX behavior, and git apparently depends on a glibc extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

xtal posted:

Why is it unreasonable to fork the language? Forking things is the best part of open source. Be good or be forked, as the saying goes. And plenty of companies already maintain forks of Ruby, be they commercial (as REE was) or for their private use.

Forking the language is a fine solution if the issue is important enough or internal to his company. It is not a fine solution for a minor issue that he wants fixed because it affects other major tools (git/github).