Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
All yalls need a pair of these:

Actually they're too large to be good for dicing chiles, so I just use them for washing dishes. I should have tested them before labeling.

Anyhow.

Awwwwwww yiss

mutha

fuckin'

shank

Here's a rough cut of the ingredients. Garlic, cinnamon, and bay leaves not pictured. Also I ended up using another three packages of shank because gently caress yeah.

A lot of different dried chiles. I decided to try dry chipotles (the tan ones) because someone in this thread suggested it.

Probably took a fair ten minutes to seed these. Threw em in the pot with beef broth for about thirty minutes.

Then blended the whole mixture into this.

Toasted and ground some cumin too.

Next up, searing something like 12 shanks. Took forever.

Sautee onion and garlic.

Throw in the jalapenos and poblanos too. Rough cut because at this point I'd spent two hours on prep. Also I prepped those barehand cause I'm a loving rebel.

Everything goes into the pot. Should be ready by....10pm gently caress.

Spared no expense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What the hell man. That post is like half a blowjob. Where's the money shot??

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

The Midniter posted:

What the hell man. That post is like half a blowjob. Where's the money shot??

Tried to find the like button for this post.

I know you said it needed to finish cooking, but it should be done by now.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
It took forever to reduce.

When I tasted the broth during cooking, I thought it was going to be way too spicy.

Then during reduction the spice ended up fading. I didn't think that was possible. I might have to mix in a can of chipotles post-production to amp it up.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Niceee

any reason for cab over beer? i don't think I've ever done chili with wine.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

WaterIsPoison posted:

It's Chili season again, and today I thought that I'd take my hand at working on my own variation. You know, for science :science: Please forgive the fact that some of the photos are a bit out of focus, it was an arm day at the gym and I couldn't quite hold the phone steady.

Ingredient List
  • 6lb Bone in Short Rib
  • 1lb Ground Sweet Italian Sausage
  • 2 Sweet Onions, diced
  • 2-3 (Your preference) Carrots, diced
  • 3 Ancho chilies
  • 3 Pasilla chilies
  • 3 Guajillo chilies
  • 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 1 tablespoon coarse ground coffee
  • 1 qt Beef Stock, I used low-sodium and adjusted the salt to taste
  • 1 bottle red wine
  • 1 tin of Chipotles in Adobo sauce
  • 1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Couple sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme
  • NO BEANS!

This recipe inspired me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Alright, chili competition at work time. I'm going to win this and I'm going to win this hard, so this means I'm probably making chili for the next three weekends to try things out. The other coworkers are already talking about how their heirloom homegrown tomatoes are gonna be awesome. Well f' that, mine is gonna be literally chili con carne.

I have my goto chili pretty set and this weekend I'm going to try puréeing the dried chiles instead of pulverizing them into powder like I normally do. Is it still worth it to toast my chiles first if I'm just gonna boil them in water/broth?

I'd like to give my chili a nice smokey taste too. I've always thought that would be awesome. What's the best way? I can get smoked beef bones to make my broth with I guess?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Alright, chili competition at work time. I'm going to win this and I'm going to win this hard, so this means I'm probably making chili for the next three weekends to try things out. The other coworkers are already talking about how their heirloom homegrown tomatoes are gonna be awesome. Well f' that, mine is gonna be literally chili con carne.

I have my goto chili pretty set and this weekend I'm going to try puréeing the dried chiles instead of pulverizing them into powder like I normally do. Is it still worth it to toast my chiles first if I'm just gonna boil them in water/broth?

I'd like to give my chili a nice smokey taste too. I've always thought that would be awesome. What's the best way? I can get smoked beef bones to make my broth with I guess?

Advice I have heard is to toast them even if you're soaking. (I was not privy to that information with the batch I just made.) I toast because I believe in it, not because I've ever been able to make a direct comparison.

Plenty of smokiness can (and should) come from chipotles. No shame in using canned if you are literally going against tomato people. Chipotles also add an agreeable amount of heat for most people. Smoked beef bones couldn't hurt, especially if you're going to make your own stock. There's also liquid smoke. I haven't used it yet, but it's an option.

My shank chili came out incredibly rich. I would advise using stew beef for the competition, as the texture will be more familiar.

Also you are going to remember that it takes hours to make chili for some reason and you will only make one batch before the competition. (Prove me wrong!)

I am already imagining you being the only person that shows up with a proper chili.

Please take pictures of everyone else's (and yours) and vent about your disappointment when no one understands how your concoction is actually chili and you lose to the fat 50-something secretary.

That said, I do enjoy chili-that-is-not-chili.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Niceee

any reason for cab over beer? i don't think I've ever done chili with wine.

I put wine in my chili too, and it's always good. It adds another layer of flavour. It's probably frowned upon by ONETRUECHILI advocates, but it's definitely worth trying.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FaradayCage posted:

Advice I have heard is to toast them even if you're soaking. (I was not privy to that information with the batch I just made.) I toast because I believe in it, not because I've ever been able to make a direct comparison.

Plenty of smokiness can (and should) come from chipotles. No shame in using canned if you are literally going against tomato people. Chipotles also add an agreeable amount of heat for most people. Smoked beef bones couldn't hurt, especially if you're going to make your own stock. There's also liquid smoke. I haven't used it yet, but it's an option.

My shank chili came out incredibly rich. I would advise using stew beef for the competition, as the texture will be more familiar.

Also you are going to remember that it takes hours to make chili for some reason and you will only make one batch before the competition. (Prove me wrong!)

I am already imagining you being the only person that shows up with a proper chili.

Please take pictures of everyone else's (and yours) and vent about your disappointment when no one understands how your concoction is actually chili and you lose to the fat 50-something secretary.

That said, I do enjoy chili-that-is-not-chili.

It's not like toasting chiles is hard so I guess I'll just throw them on my ~baking steel~ under the broiler for a few minutes to get them charred. That should hopefully give me some smokey/ashy flavor too. I just don't have a blender so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the end result after simmering them but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Honestly I was just thinking of throwing them all in a cheesecloth bag and tossing the chiles after pressure cooking them and getting all the flavors out.

Oh yeah I know chile takes like half a day to make. So I was hoping I could pressure cook the poo poo out of everything to make it faster. I mean the higher temperatures would melt all that fat into deliciousness quicklike and I'm hoping the closed vessel and submerged beef would just not dry up. If anyone has any experience pressure cooking chili I'd greatly appreciate it.

My experiences with chipotle has been a hit/miss, mostly miss. I don't really taste them every time I blended them together to make chili powder but it could be that I just overwhelmed it with other dried chiles. I guess this means I should use more. I just gotta also keep in mind my audience. I love spicy poo poo but I don't know if my coworkers do. Like one time I made chili and only put jalapeños in it (in addition to store brand chili powder) instead of habaneros and serranos cause I was dating someone who couldn't handle heat. I even used like 2-3 jalapeños that I taste tested to make sure they weren't spicy and she complained. Which is fine cause I had tons of left over chili for the next week but still.

I think most people are familiar with ground beef chili so I think having any chunks of meat in there is gonna blow their mind on "texture" so I'm just gonna go with the cheapest stewing meat with tons of fat that I can find.

The last cooking competition they had was a soup off and after seeing what everybody brought in I have no doubt that I'm going to make the best god drat chili they've ever seen.

That said, I don't discriminate between what people call chili.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 19, 2014

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

if you are going up against a bunch of beans and ground meat stuff then just follow your standard chili recipe without over salting or making it too hot and you'll win. also if you don't have a hand blender or something, grind the chiles into powder before adding them. you really don't want to strain out the chiles with cheese cloth because that's meant to thicken your chili. it works just like tomato as a thickener in my experience

also when you are toasting your chiles the goal is not to char them. you just want to heat them up until they become fragrant. if you char them your chili is gonna taste burnt. the added advantage of this is that it makes them really easy to grind into a fine powder by drying them out cracker dry. i toast my chiles in a 350 degree oven for less than ten minutes. when the smell of chiles becomes strong remove them immediately and set them aside to grind them while toasting your next batch. make sure to use fresh roasted and ground cumin, too

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

In all honesty I'm probably going to lose because I made "goulash" or whatever instead of chili.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

In all honesty I'm probably going to lose because I made "goulash" or whatever instead of chili.

i beat about 20 beans and ground meat entries in a cookoff and got over half the votes in the entire contest with a very simple texas style chili. if it tastes good people will respond to it very strongly even if they're not accustomed to that style.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I forgot to take pictures cause my phone was charging in my room but here's what I did today:

1 lb of boneless chuck, cubed, big cubes
1:1:1 mass ratio of dried chipotles, gaujillo, and New Mexican chiles
2 pints homemade beef stock
2 fresh jalapeños

I was mainly trying to see today if I could cook chili in a pressure cooker (yes) to save time and whether or not my idea of putting the dried chiles in a cheesecloth bag would work (unsure), and also to save pots/cleaning/time and tried to do it all in one pot (nope).

So I did the usual:

- browned the meat (I browned it on 1-2 sides cause I think I read it on Serious Eats) and removed
- deglazed with whisky (Larceny) and scrapped all the delicious fond off the bottom
- returned meat and pour in 1 pint of freshly made stock
- meanwhile I toasted my chiles in the oven at 350 ºF and then put them all cheesecloth and tied into a sack, put it in my PC on top of my meat and realized I hosed up cause my chiles aren't submerged… so in went another pint of stock
- realized I further hosed up cause I forgot to toast cumin seeds
- lock on the lid and raised to high pressure and sustained for about 45 minutes
- quick released pressure and removed lid, tossed out the cheesecloth bag of chiles and simmered uncovered to reduce

The pressure cooker worked. All of my meat was extremely juicy and shredded apart easily so this brings chili down from the usual 6ish hours to 1ish hour which is Pretty Nice.

I tried to save time by soaking/cooking the chiles in the same pot with everything else and this just doesn't work because there was too much volume of chiles going on. Next time I'll PC the chiles separately (and now that I have stock frozen on hand it won't be as much of a time waster). I'm still interested in just tying them all up in cheesecloth and just tossing the thing cause I don't have a blender and probably won't buy one anytime soon. I know you people said I need the chiles to thicken up the chili. My chili was really watery after I reduced it, but several things: my PC is kinda big and I didn't have too much liquids in it to begin with, so I stopped reducing when most of the liquid was gone cause I didn't' want to burn the meat, next time I'll transfer the result into a smaller pot with less space and that might help. Second, I wonder if xanthan gum would work… a tiny bit will thicken anything up and has no affect on flavor.

I liked the spiciness level. I think it was a very safe level to shoot for. I could feel a bit of a burn on my lips, but it went away really fast and it wasn't too much. There was unfortunately no smokey taste from the chipotles that I could taste.

Until next weekend!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Second, I wonder if xanthan gum would work… a tiny bit will thicken anything up and has no affect on flavor.

don't you have like one of those little ten dollar coffee grinders? grind your chiles into a powder after you toast them with one of those. also, and this is a controversial opinion so don't take my word for it, but try it, but you're gonna want to add at least some more cumin at the end, maybe some more chile powder also. the nice thing about grinding some, say, california chiles into powder is that at the end you can add some in to thicken it up without increasing the heat beyond manageable levels for a cookoff, and you don't have to add anything weird like xanthan gum.

the pressure cooker can definitely work in your favor, but if you want to make good chili, in my opinion, you shouldn't try and skirt around actually making chili. it's got chiles in it, it's not a stock made from chiles with a thickener added like you are suggesting. i am sure i'll catch poo poo for saying this, but that's what i think based on my experiences.

i forget who said this, it was some national chili champion from the 80s i think, but (and i'm paraphrasing) if you are trying to think of something to add to your chili to make it better, instead, take something out.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm still interested in just tying them all up in cheesecloth and just tossing the thing cause I don't have a blender and probably won't buy one anytime soon.
Until next weekend!

:stare:

In theory, I guess this would work in a way to produce a sort of marinated beef mixture.

But man oh man - I would probably eat a vegetarian bean chili before I tried that.

The pulverized chili mixture is very important to the end texture of the dish. (I realize I'm speculating because I've never tried cheesecloth). I've looked at a blended mixture of chiles though, and it is thick, brother. Also there are probably flavors and compounds in the dried chiles that are not water-soluble (like...capsaicin). You'll have difficulty leeching those through cheesecloth.

Suggestions:

1.) Borrow a blender from a friend. Even an acquaintance. Inform them that you'll be using it for chiles, but it won't cause a problem for them if you clean it well enough.

2.) It's time to buy a blender, man. I spent a long time without one. I finally brought a cheap $15 one. Used it for protein shakes and that was it. Then I got a magic bullet. I typed a paragraph about why it's good before I realized how much of a shill I sounded. It's good and versatile for the price ($50).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A food processor is also an option. Or toast the chiles and grind them.

On the wind side of things, I could see that being super tasty. How much do you guys add?

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 21, 2014

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A food processor is also an option. Or toast the chiles and grind them.

On the wind side of things, I could see that being super tasty. How much do you guys add?

I'm gonna take a wall on the wild side by adding wind to my chili.

Half a bottle for my giant recipe. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet because a lot of things were new in that one (shank, dried chipotle, and the wine).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I blame my phone for that. It doesn't realize that chili produces wind, not the other way around. Thanks.

That sounds like a lot of liquid to reduce down, although a batch that big is beyond what I normally do. How soupy was everything when you started?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I just had a great idea in the shower.

Dessert chili.

Picture this: Jellybeans, chocolate chunks, candied fruit, all in a chili-pepper infused dark chocolate sauce, topped with white chocolate shavings and whipped cream.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sfwarlock posted:

Dessert chili.

Picture this: Jellybeans, chocolate chunks, candied fruit, all in a chili-pepper infused dark chocolate sauce, topped with white chocolate shavings and whipped cream.

Boooo.

(That sounds awesome.)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

Dessert chili.

What kind of loving retard puts jellybeans in chocolate chili?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
First time soaking the chiles instead of grinding.

Slowcooked it overnight, but I didn't leave the lid cracked enough, so I'm adding masa and reducing a bit more.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
If I use beef neck bones with the meat on em will it work the same as Short ribs? Just brown em and let them stew, should it take longer or shorter? I don't have the money for short ribs, the difference is like 1.19/lb vs 4.99/lb.

Or will neck bone mean not work right for it? I don't want to spend all day making chili just to end up with a pot of lovely chili.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Leper Residue posted:

If I use beef neck bones with the meat on em will it work the same as Short ribs? Just brown em and let them stew, should it take longer or shorter? I don't have the money for short ribs, the difference is like 1.19/lb vs 4.99/lb.

Or will neck bone mean not work right for it? I don't want to spend all day making chili just to end up with a pot of lovely chili.

It will work just fine as long as they have enough meat on them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

sfwarlock posted:

Dessert chili.

No meat? ugh. Just a spicy jellybean stew

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leper Residue posted:

The whole point of chili is to cook the meat long enough for it to basically fall apart. It's specifically a dish designed for terrible cuts of meat. As Schmeichy said it'll depend on how much meat is available, so just compare the two and see how it works out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I've steadily read through this thread and you guy's seem to be pretty well versed, I love chili. I just really can't handle super hot foods. What's something that would be like a low to medium heat but with a kind of smokey flavor. Also are beef shanks decent chilly meat? It's a pretty low end cut.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I've steadily read through this thread and you guy's seem to be pretty well versed, I love chili. I just really can't handle super hot foods. What's something that would be like a low to medium heat but with a kind of smokey flavor. Also are beef shanks decent chilly meat? It's a pretty low end cut.

well if you want almost no heat, use a mixture of california chili powder, ancho chili powder, and smoked spanish paprika. a good smoked spanish paprika (you can buy it on amazon) is a reasonable heat-less substitute for chipotles (which are smoked jalapenos.) it gives a nice smokey flavor. california chiles would be the majority of the chili powder and would thicken your chili, they're not smoked and smell to me sort of like raisins. i usually use all california chiles but you can also use ancho.

i never liked shanks or oxtails for chili, but you could use them. any cut of beef that is good braised can be used for texas style chili. i like chuck roast the best for chili, but i've never actually gotten my hands on a tri-tip, which i hear is the best.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

What's something that would be like a low to medium heat but with a kind of smokey flavor.

Chipotle-flavor tabasco sauce, maybe...

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Hollismason posted:

Smoke your meat before using. Use guajilo peppers and anchos. You could also add a little bit of a sweetener in to counteract the heat (even though you won't get much if you avoid the spicier peppers). My gf cannot stand spicy food and puts a bit of honey in her chili. It's ~ok~ if that's what you're into (not what I'm into but I see the potential)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

Chipotle-flavor tabasco sauce, maybe...

That's going to add a ton of vinegar if you use enough to give any real chipotle flavor.

Mild to Medium heat is obviously very subjective. I would suggest using dried chilies made into a paste rather then powders. You can keep blending and tasting the paste until you have it at the right heat level. It will be a lot easier to back the heat down in a paste by adding more mild anchos then trying to back down the actual chili. Also, if you really cock up and make the paste too hot, you are out way less time and money then if you ruined an entire batch of chili.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Seconding smoked paprika, it's great for adding depth of flavour and a smokiness that immediately makes you think of good chilli.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Smoked paprika is good in everything, basically.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
So trip report on the Neckbone Chili. Don't bother. There's hardly any meat on the things, plus there's lots of little pieces of bone in em that will come off during cooking that you have too look out for. Luckily I cheated and grabbed some stew meat that was on sale as well.

Overall the meat was fine since I cheated, but I used way way way too much peppers. It was like eating a bowl of heat. It didn't burn, it was just hot. Like after every few bites I had to wipe sweat off my forehead. If it had had a better flavor it would have been awesome, but it was basically like eating a bowl of hot heat.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
At least it wasn't a bowl of cold heat.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

It was like eating a bowl of heat. It didn't burn, it was just hot. Like after every few bites I had to wipe sweat off my forehead. If it had had a better flavor it would have been awesome, but it was basically like eating a bowl of hot heat.

I see nothing wrong with this.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I blame my phone for that. It doesn't realize that chili produces wind, not the other way around. Thanks.

That sounds like a lot of liquid to reduce down, although a batch that big is beyond what I normally do. How soupy was everything when you started?

Pretty soupy. I also used like 9 lbs of meat, though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely pick up some smoked paprika. The local Mexican Bodega / Grocery Store sells all kinds of Chili's I'll try and take a pic or come back list the ones available to me.

On the good side though, they have this wonderful cut of meat called "Taco" meat, it's basically chopped Chuck I think, it can be kind of fatty, basically what would be called probably Carne Asada (SP) at like somewhere else is what they sell. I've used it before in Chili and other meals and it came out well so I'll try that.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
My chili I made using a variation of ironleg's recipe from the first page of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely pick up some smoked paprika. The local Mexican Bodega / Grocery Store sells all kinds of Chili's I'll try and take a pic or come back list the ones available to me.

On the good side though, they have this wonderful cut of meat called "Taco" meat, it's basically chopped Chuck I think, it can be kind of fatty, basically what would be called probably Carne Asada (SP) at like somewhere else is what they sell. I've used it before in Chili and other meals and it came out well so I'll try that.

i've never tried guajillo chiles, but i've heard they are really good. you should get some on crazyeyes recommendation if you have a wide selection available to you. california is like the standard chili cookoff chili that you base your generic chili powder off of, so that's what i use, but there are probably better, sweeter chiles out there if you are willing to look for them