Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Played a lot while the Steam servers were finnicky and didn't get a bunch of achievements, oh well, more playthroughs to go.

The lady at the bonfire is telling me to head to the castle, I figure it's time to end this run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Control Volume posted:

That list includes getting to the bastille

lol duh. Right. Correct you are.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Argh I didn't even know it was possible to have enough poise to just walk through darkstorm to get a backstab off.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Maxmaps posted:

The lady at the bonfire is telling me to head to the castle, I figure it's time to end this run?

Awwww how cute :shobon:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Umberger posted:

Yeah. 100%ing Dark/Demon's Souls in terms of getting every item really wasn't that bad (aside from Pure Bladestone farming nothing was really grindy, the closest DkS had was Channeler's Trident which isn't anywhere near as bad). But Dark Souls 2 has some items/sets that are just serious bullshit.

I'd like to think they'll do their usual "nerf the truly ridiculous poo poo" patch, especially with regard to Blue Sentinels/Brotherhood of Blood, but who knows.

Phantom that only spawns once per NG, and only in NG+ and beyond? No guaranteed drops! It's a low chance for an armor piece! gently caress you!

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're a crazy person, Demon's Souls was by far the worst of the series for getting poo poo. gently caress those stupid limited spawn gekkos that could kill themselves and then probably not drop what you needed anyway. Even getting shards was an awful grind. You don't even have to get any piece of equipment in Dark Souls 2, so it's automatically better than the last two.

I still get mad at that game just thinking about the grind it took to upgrade poo poo.

Getting upgrade materials was pretty terrible, that's a fair point. Easily the worst in the series in that regard, but in terms of specifically "farming" I would still call Dark Souls 2's black phantoms that have a chance to drop one piece of a set that may or may not be one of the four you need worse. Granted DeS also had inventory load in addition to equipment load which could screw you out of picking up armor sets. DeS and DkS2 both have aspects to their farming that are really really awful.

Maxmaps posted:

The real Dark Souls (2) starts here. :getin:

Bobnumerotres posted:

Phantom that only spawns once per NG, and only in NG+ and beyond? No guaranteed drops! It's a low chance for an armor piece! gently caress you!

The weird thing about this is how they handled that with respect to the Belfry Sol black phantom. He spawns infinitely, and (per NG cycle) will only drop pieces which he has not dropped before. I don't understand why they only did this for the one phantom/set. :psyduck:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bobnumerotres posted:

The armor of Aurous is probably the worst culprit for this. I mean the non transparent one. I mean at least Siegmeyer spawns near the bonfire, so all you have to do is take out the bow/ the two turtle knights and the hollow solider.

Hell he's nice to wait until you are under him that he aggros. Otherwise he just sits there watching.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Umberger posted:

The weird thing about this is how they handled that with respect to the Belfry Sol black phantom. He spawns infinitely, and (per NG cycle) will only drop pieces which he has not dropped before. I don't understand why they only did this for the one phantom/set. :psyduck:

Yeah they took so many steps to get rid of farming in general with each successive game and then they put in this bullshit. I don't want to fight a 10,000HP onion knight 20 times before I get his full set.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah they took so many steps to get rid of farming in general with each successive game and then they put in this bullshit. I don't want to fight a 10,000HP onion knight 20 times before I get his full set.
I'm going to go with the visible Aurous set being one of the worst. Not only do you get one chance per NG (as far as I can tell) but you have to beat Flexile each time too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Umberger posted:

Getting upgrade materials was pretty terrible, that's a fair point. Easily the worst in the series in that regard, but in terms of specifically "farming" I would still call Dark Souls 2's black phantoms that have a chance to drop one piece of a set that may or may not be one of the four you need worse. Granted DeS also had inventory load in addition to equipment load which could screw you out of picking up armor sets. DeS and DkS2 both have aspects to their farming that are really really awful.

You seem to be forgetting that world tendency could literally lock you out of getting equipment in a run of Demon's Souls. If you died in human form too many times you could not get to pure white tendency and thus the paths to the special weapons were locked. Plus, global world tendency could gently caress you on trying to get black tendency for the colorless demon's souls and lock you out of upgrading boss weapons or gaining certain spells. You can't just ascetic a lizard back in Demon's Souls either. You don't even need to do it this time! There's no achievement, you get no special reward, and most of the items you get for farming aren't worth the effort anyway.

fake edit: Also, some of those phantoms spawn infinitely. The lizards were a set amount of spawns with incredibly low drop rates on the slabs, even if you had the item drop rate stuff equiped.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bobnumerotres posted:

Such is the fate of those who are obsessed with having everything.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What was world tendency anyway? DeS is the only one in the series I've been unable to play to any meaningful degree.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Renegret posted:

Awwww how cute :shobon:

Umberger posted:

The real Dark Souls (2) starts here. :getin:

Dang, for real? I thought it'd be like DS1 got the 4 big souls, time to go through a very climatic small area then Lastboss.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Maxmaps posted:

Played a lot while the Steam servers were finnicky and didn't get a bunch of achievements, oh well, more playthroughs to go.

The castle is more like a midway point, not endgame (even though it usually is in games). You've still got a bunch of areas ahead and stuff coming up from there before hitting the last boss.

Unless there was some specific point to your current run and you just want to stop on that character.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Basically white tendency means the enemies are much more easier, but have a less rate of dropping stuff.

Black tendency is the opposite.

Getting it to black was killing five NPCS in their body form (aka when they aren't phantoms)

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 4, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
From two pages back but the fact that the Way of the Blue is seriously just the Dark moon Blades sort of solidifies that Heide is Anor Londo in my mind. Lordran collapsed, fell into the sea. The way of the Blue 'originated in Heide'

Blues 'aren't a structured religion' and are supposedly just as evil as the criminals they execute. Sounds pretty Darkroom Bladey to me. That and the fact that they have the same overall function.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

What was world tendency anyway? DeS is the only one in the series I've been unable to play to any meaningful degree.

World tendency worked like this. The more white your world is the weaker the enemies were, but the less souls they dropped upon defeat. Black tendency worked the opposite in that enemies grew stronger the darker the tendency got but you were rewarded with more souls. You could shift the tendency towards white by killing bosses, but they only counted towards the tendency of that area (with the exception of Phalanx, I believe). Flamelurker dying doesn't affect world 5, as an example. You shifted towards black by dying in human form. So you had a limited amount of white tendency shifts but an infinite amount of black shifts.

Don't even get me started on character tendency.

fake edit: oh yeah I forgot, tendency also opened up previously locked areas of the map. You are REQUIRED to have pure white tendency to reach the unique weapons, and pure black unlocks other areas as well as the primeval demons that dropped the only things that could upgrade boss weapons. You also needed them to make some spells.

real edit: small correction, it's not the boss soul weapons you need the primeval demons for, it's the unique equipment you find as part of world tendency events. Another thing I forgot was that at white tendency human NPCs would spawn in that you could talk to and at black there would be black phantoms you could kill for their equipment.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 4, 2014

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Given how rare invasions are at regular NG, is there any point in being a blue sentinel before NG+? I joined for the heck of it, but I have a feeling I'm gonna be a sunbro as soon as I head through Harvest Valley.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Kimmalah posted:

The castle is more like a midway point, not endgame (even though it usually is in games). You've still got a bunch of areas ahead and stuff coming up from there before hitting the last boss.

Unless there was some specific point to your current run and you just want to stop on that character.

Oh, cool! I assume it's something that comes postgame, since I have found a few gates that ask me for the Symbol of the King which I don't think I missed because they look very ominous and endgamey.

Unrelated, but is there a way to get this to run in Windowed Fullscreen?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Getting it to black was killing five NPCS in their body form (aka when they aren't phantoms)

That's character tendency, which was a whole different thing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's character tendency, which was a whole different thing.

Doh. It's been a while since I touched Demon Souls. :v: It was a completely different beast then DS1 and DS2.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

laplace posted:

From two pages back but the fact that the Way of the Blue is seriously just the Dark moon Blades sort of solidifies that Heide is Anor Londo in my mind. Lordran collapsed, fell into the sea. The way of the Blue 'originated in Heide'

Blues 'aren't a structured religion' and are supposedly just as evil as the criminals they execute. Sounds pretty Darkroom Bladey to me. That and the fact that they have the same overall function.

That's the Blue Sentinels. They also get summoned to defend Way of the Blue members that get invaded, so it's not just literally Darkmoon.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I just respecced my magic dude for more INT so I could try out Soul Geyser and.. what am I missing? Normally I run 50 INT but 64 for Geyser seems pretty poo poo.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

You seem to be forgetting that world tendency could literally lock you out of getting equipment in a run of Demon's Souls. If you died in human form too many times you could not get to pure white tendency and thus the paths to the special weapons were locked. Plus, global world tendency could gently caress you on trying to get black tendency for the colorless demon's souls and lock you out of upgrading boss weapons or gaining certain spells. You can't just ascetic a lizard back in Demon's Souls either. You don't even need to do it this time! There's no achievement, you get no special reward, and most of the items you get for farming aren't worth the effort anyway.

fake edit: Also, some of those phantoms spawn infinitely. The lizards were a set amount of spawns with incredibly low drop rates on the slabs, even if you had the item drop rate stuff equiped.

I know there's no achievement for it but :spergin: gotta get 'em.

Character/world tendency was the most hilariously obtuse mechanic in the series and I'm very glad it's never returned. In retrospect yeah 100%ing DeS is worse.

Inzombiac posted:

So I just respecced my magic dude for more INT so I could try out Soul Geyser and.. what am I missing? Normally I run 50 INT but 64 for Geyser seems pretty poo poo.

It's been nerfed. It used to be able to 2-shot pretty much every boss on NG+. It's still very strong against most boss enemies now, but a lot of the praise comes from its pre-nerf iteration. Hexer's Hood helps since it has so few casts to begin with (granted it's probably the easiest nuke to farm too).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Doh. It's been a while since I touched Demon Souls. :v: It was a completely different beast then DS1 and DS2.

No shame in not remembering that esoteric mess of a game correctly. I love Demon's Souls, it's my favorite of the three and one of my favorite games of all time. But even so, man, gently caress that game. :argh:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Summons have dried up :smith: I can tell there's a lot of other players waiting for the same because when I put the soapstone down myself in the same space it gets used literally immediately.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Umberger posted:

Character/world tendency was the most hilariously obtuse mechanic in the series and I'm very glad it's never returned. In retrospect yeah 100%ing DeS is worse.

I doubt it, I actually have platinum in Demon's Souls and getting everything in DaS 2 sounds a lot more annoying. IIRC DeS mostly required replaying the game several times over which was fine because it's a really good game and I would've done it anyway.

I did get lucky with the infamous Pure Bladestone from that one dual-katana -wielding black phantom skeleton though, only took a few tries whereas I know a lot of people farmed for it for weeks on end.

(World tendency still sucked though)

Xavieri
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone out there with a spare Avelyn to trade around 1 million SM? Hit me up if you do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

laplace posted:

Heide looks nothing like Anor Londo, amd furthermore the Blue Sentinels only invade sinners on the side. Their main duty is protection. The implication is that outside Drangleic the descendant Blue Sentinels have corrupted into what are essentially gangsters but the originals are every bit as legitimately noble as Targray himself.

They have very little in common with the Darkmoon is what I am getting at here.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Maxmaps posted:

Oh, cool! I assume it's something that comes postgame, since I have found a few gates that ask me for the Symbol of the King which I don't think I missed because they look very ominous and endgamey.

Unrelated, but is there a way to get this to run in Windowed Fullscreen?

Yeah, the Symbol of the King is something you'll get in a later area after the castle. So you will have to do a bit of backtracking to open those doors. And actually the one in the castle is very endgamey, but you're not there yet! There's at least 5-6 areas left that I can think of, not counting optional stuff.

For the most part one will lead to another, but it can get confusing to figure out where to go after a point, so don't be afraid to ask or consult a guide because the game isn't super clear about it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Also man people are being way over generous calling Drangleic Castle the mid point. It's more like the 75% marker.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Undead Crypt is a cool zone and Blue Flame and the black witch's staff are cool items. Velstadt's a chump though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The Undead Crypt is a cool zone and Blue Flame and the black witch's staff are cool items. Velstadt's a chump though.

Probably the hardest boss you'll meet post Drangleic though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So I go back to the shaded wood now right? Or will any of those doors do?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Probably the hardest boss you'll meet post Drangleic though.

He got one attack off! And only because I got greedy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I stand by my statement.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

I stand by my statement.

Wow.

So is blue flame a good enough catalyst that I can use it for sorceries or would I be better off with a staff like the black witch's or amana's? I only have 10 twinkling titanite to put into it. I'm thinking of making it magic, and making the black witch's staff dark.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 4, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

So I go back to the shaded wood now right? Or will any of those doors do?

The one in Shaded Woods is the one you want, yes. For the most part, the others lead to stuff with the giants that you can't really do right now.

And when I said Drangleic Castle was "midway" I just meant it's not the end of the line like the poster I quoted seemed to think it was. It's true that it is closer to the end of the game than not.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
At the end of the Undead Crypt, I found that suddenly hearing the sorrowful music as you see the hollowed Vendrick was really quite effective because you're so used to there being nothing but silence everywhere barring Majula and boss fights.

And I'd say there are tougher bosses than Velstadt still, although not much tougher. Well, unless you're a spellcaster of course but if you're playing a spellcaster in a Souls game you shouldn't expect anything to be terribly challenging after a certain point anyway.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Even though every keeps saying magic is OP I gave it a shot and found it to be boring as hell. Then I discovered that loving punches are the true secret best weapon in Dark Souls II.

Fashion Souls!

Did you guys ever look at the columns of trash in The Gutter? Creepy!

STAY OUT OF MY loving HOUSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It sort of annoys me that there's so much slashing resistance out there. I like choppy slicy things more than blunt smashy things on the whole :(